• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

bjaelke

Somewhat disappointed by the lack of creative decks in brawl this week. Usually Sunday is a great day to experiment because be then everyone has already received their pack and ideally should only be playing to have fun. Nevertheless I'm going up against a stream of aggressive ladder decks. Seen one confuse Priest - the rest was just garbage.

Danj

How do people get their legendaries these days? It must be a few months since I even saw a legendary, I thought it was supposed to be one every 20 packs, or did they nerf that? Can you only get them by buying the real money bulk packs or something now?

I still only have the adventure legendaries plus Dr. Boom and one or two other garbage legendaries, and I've been playing nearly a year now.

How do people get their legendaries these days? It must be a few months since I even saw a legendary, I thought it was supposed to be one every 20 packs, or did they nerf that? Can you only get them by buying the real money bulk packs or something now?

I still only have the adventure legendaries plus Dr. Boom and one or two other garbage legendaries, and I've been playing nearly a year now.

Pity timer guarantees you'll get a legendary within 40 packs so if you keep opening a certain type of pack you'll eventually get a legendary within that time frame.

I've been using this site recently for tracking it. It's pretty basic but it does the job.

Somewhat disappointed by the lack of creative decks in brawl this week. Usually Sunday is a great day to experiment because be then everyone has already received their pack and ideally should only be playing to have fun. Nevertheless I'm going up against a stream of aggressive ladder decks. Seen one confuse Priest - the rest was just garbage.

Wouldn't say it's the most creative, but I've been running a Control Warrior deck in the brawl, with a few extra cards to tech around Mage's 4 health minions. Had great success with it; only have lost to bad draws and Unstable Portal BS (yo Malygos, really?) once each out of 10 games or so.

Mulgrok

decide to try a beast hunter deck with no gvg or naxx cards on ladder at rank 10. win first 2 game sand think I might do ok, then get completely trashed the next 8. Absolutely nothing I could have done to win with the draws I got.

EDIT: going first is such a huge disadvantage against all the face/control decks. 2 card disadvantage sucks.

I like how anyfin paladin is so favored against control warrior, almost makes up for all these times i had to auto-concede against them while playing as freeze mage.

Xanathus

anyfin paladin is a control deck to counter control decks! its great.

it loses to freeze mage tho

If anything the Murloc Paladin is favored against Freeze Mage, the matchup is similar to Patron Warrior vs Freeze except you don't have as good a hero power. The trick is to draw into your heals and save them after burn or Alexstraza is used. You also need to minimize the number of Fireballs they get from Antonidas. Then to finish them you need to wait until they're Fatigued and burst them down to 1 hp-ish with Anyfin.

Danj

Pity timer guarantees you'll get a legendary within 40 packs so if you keep opening a certain type of pack you'll eventually get a legendary within that time frame.

I've been using this site recently for tracking it. It's pretty basic but it does the job.

Thanks, that's really helpful. This reddit post where they got their info from is really interesting too, it says that the best strategy is once you got a legendary from one type of pack (e.g. GvG) it's best to switch to buying another type of pack as the pity timer will have reset.

Xanathus

Disgusting combo in the G2 tournament

Huh didn't realize it was live, thought I was watching a rebroadcast. Anyway crane's Worgen deck is inconsistent as hell considering he's running Patrons as well, Ekop should win the rest of the matches

edit: nevermind Ekop is throwing the game FailFish

Ladekabel

I was playing a Dragon Bolster Warrior with Varian Wrynn. I like facing people that experiment with Warrior. Not just because it are easy wins but because it is interesting what people come up with.

Damn, my Ragnaros went to the School of Saint Smorc.

Apathy

Aside form the format, my issue with the G2 tournament are the commentators. The constantly keep shouting "oh he has lethal" just to instantly go "oh no hes x off". Do the math first before you get all excited.

If anything the Murloc Paladin is favored against Freeze Mage, the matchup is similar to Patron Warrior vs Freeze except you don't have as good a hero power. The trick is to draw into your heals and save them after burn or Alexstraza is used. You also need to minimize the number of Fireballs they get from Antonidas. Then to finish them you need to wait until they're Fatigued and burst them down to 1 hp-ish with Anyfin.

As Control Priest, I can often best Murloc Paladin now if I get my Entombs early. It sounds crazy, but just Entombing Murk-eye and if you can get a second Entomb on a Bluegill you basically guarantee a win. Lightbomb and Holy Nova take care if the rest.

Owzers

Brawl Quest and Hunter Quest, should be easy.....mage mage mage mage mage. Had to finish the hunter quest in casual ( sorry world) and then did the Brawl with a priest inner fire that worked out well.

Dragner

As Control Priest, I can often best Murloc Paladin now if I get my Entombs early. It sounds crazy, but just Entombing Murk-eye and if you can get a second Entomb on a Bluegill you basically guarantee a win. Lightbomb and Holy Nova take care if the rest.

you never win if the paladin knows how to play his deck. I only lost once to a priest and was because he thoughstole an anyfin, I never lost to an entomb. just know when play your murlocs and when you have to suicide them with pyro. Is basic knowledge of the matchup. If you can entomb a charger that paladin was a total noob.

If I would be on the priest side I would try to race and put preassure, its the only way.

Zemm

play like an idiot then BM when finishing the match
tumblr_inline_np6qgqgBrU1qm86ju_250.png

Apathy

Anyone see this sort of weird Mill/Elise rouge? It's not even full mill, he just used coldlight oracle and shadowstep and vanish on me. It was interesting to see something that odd. It didn't work out for him in the end but just odd.

Xanathus

Heh, seems like a lot of people bringing Nerubian Egg versions of Secret Paladin for the Americas tourney. I called out how strong it is when I saw the list 2 months ago.

Apathy

OK I just lost to a Worgen that did 26 damage, I know when to quit for the day.

At least I commend the fresh strategy.

IT was played earlier today in the G2 tournament. It's the same after any tournament, someone will see it, and then go and do it in game

you never win if the paladin knows how to play his deck. I only lost once to a priest and was because he thoughstole an anyfin, I never lost to an entomb. just know when play your murlocs and when you have to suicide them with pyro. Is basic knowledge of the matchup. If you can entomb a charger that paladin was a total noob.

If I would be on the priest side I would try to race and put preassure, its the only way.

Yeah, Entombing a charger totally depends on the opponent not suiciding their charger right away. I'm only in the 13-15 ranks though so maybe bad plays are more common here.

Dahbomb

The Control Priest vs Anyfin Paladin is pretty straightforward once the Paladin does these 2 things:

*Hard mulligan keep Anyfins in hand. Minimize changes of Priest Thoughstealing Anyfin.

*Always use Chargers to suicide. If you aren't able to do that then use Pyromancer to suicide your Murlocs.

The match up then becomes unwinnable for the Priest like it's unwinnable for every other Control deck. This deck will dominate if the meta slows down even a tad bit. Right now you can just rush it down and kill it before it gets anything going. Usually the Paladin can stuck with bad cards in hand for the situation which includes just heals and draws.

The Control Priest vs Anyfin Paladin is pretty straightforward once the Paladin does these 2 things:

*Hard mulligan keep Anyfins in hand. Minimize changes of Priest Thoughstealing Anyfin.

*Always use Chargers to suicide. If you aren't able to do that then use Pyromancer to suicide your Murlocs.

The match up then becomes unwinnable for the Priest like it's unwinnable for every other Control deck. This deck will dominate if the meta slows down even a tad bit. Right now you can just rush it down and kill it before it gets anything going. Usually the Paladin can stuck with bad cards in hand for the situation which includes just heals and draws.

It's almost like Anyfin is a stupid fucking card.

Xanathus

Why is AlSky not doing the damage when he could have popped?

I don't get it. Playing like he had a Kezan or something.
The only way his play made sense is if he still had heal in his deck. He had no option but to pop Fibonacci's block first and hope that Fibo has no heals because he would 100% already lose the game in a fatigue war.

I feel that a lot of these players made it into the tourneys playing simple decks and have very little experience in control vs control matchups.

Top Bottom