• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Pooya

Patron isn't too good against secret paladin. Against secret paly you can only win with turn 5 patrons, if you don't get it it's over, it's generally rated 50/50. There is no comeback mechanic. It's good against zoo but it's a reasonable match up still for the zoo player, it's no where as bad as warsong era.

Dahbomb

So I'm participating in my first tournament Friday night (in person). Been playing since beta, but I'm nervous! Any tips or pointers? Tournament rules below:

Single elimination, best of 5, conquest style.
Bring 4 decks in different classes. Before the round begins, announce your classes to your opponent, and each player gets to ban their opponent from using one class.
If you win with a class, you may not reuse that class. If you lose with a class, you may reuse that class, or switch to a class with which you have not yet won.
You must delete all decks from your decklist not being used for the tournament.
Bring Secret Paladin, Combo Druid, Freeze Mage, Zoolock... ban Warriors, if not ban Mage.

Tacitus_

So I'm participating in my first tournament Friday night (in person). Been playing since beta, but I'm nervous! Any tips or pointers? Tournament rules below:

Bring 4 decks in different classes. Before the round begins, announce your classes to your opponent, and each player gets to ban their opponent from using one class.
If you win with a class, you may not reuse that class. If you lose with a class, you may reuse that class, or switch to a class with which you have not yet won.

Bring druid warlock paladin and a filler of your choosing.

Xanathus

The standard decks for that format are Freeze Mage, Combo Druid, Secret Paladin, Control/Patron Warrior, Zoolock. Just ban Warrior or Druid if they dont have Warrior.

The next level meta would be something like Fibonaccis line up that targets the decks that targets the standards,

Pooya

Look up what lists regional winners brought, your opponents will bring exactly those.

Nordicus

Just played my first 2 games of ranked. Before that, I played 1 casual match and got 2-3 on my first Arena run with Warlock. I am pretty familiar with some of the cards from Arena streams I've watched (Retrogold and Phleetwood mostly)

So first match, my Warlock against Druid... win with full life left. I figured I'd do well against other new players given my experience with Duelyst game and the streams I mentioned, but that was bit ridiculous.

Second match, Rogue that had at least Bloodmage Thalnos and Loatheb in deck and managed to do 2 Preparation+Sprint combos throughout the match.

I actually got the Rogue down to 1 health by managing to flood the board and have Sen'jin or Voidwalker around when needed, and eliminating big threats with kobolds and basic damage spells. So they had 1 health, I had two 3/2 minions on board and some wiggle room with my HP to hero power for more damage if necessary.

Ya know what they did with their assassin's blades from earlier? Tinker's Sharpsword oil, smack, then blade flurry. Down I go.

SO close. Would have been an amazing win, but alas.

HAHAHAHAHA. I just had the happiest moment of my Hearthstone life. I was facing this Control Warrior with my Face Hunter, and he keeps pumping up by like 8 armor a turn - I can hardly keep up with him. We're at 10 mana crystals, are 3/4 through our decks, and I get him to 1 health, 1 armor. "I got him on the next turn", I think.

This guy drops Reno. I'm seconds away from conceding, because no way can I deal another 30 damage against a Control Warrior on one draw per turn.

Then I realize: the Warrior didn't heal! It failed! He must have had a duplicate card somewhere in the deck still!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Eat shit Reno player! I taunted pretty hard before sticking that last arrow into him. :-D

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
HAHAHAHAHA. I just had the happiest moment of my Hearthstone life. I was facing this Control Warrior with my Face Hunter, and he keeps pumping up by like 8 armor a turn - I can hardly keep up with him. We're at 10 mana crystals, are 3/4 through our decks, and I get him to 1 health, 1 armor. "I got him on the next turn", I think.

This guy drops Reno. I'm seconds away from conceding, because no way can I deal another 30 damage against a Control Warrior on one draw per turn.

Then I realize: the Warrior didn't heal! It failed! He must have had a duplicate card somewhere in the deck still!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Eat shit Reno player! I taunted pretty hard before sticking that last arrow into him. :-D

Taunting when you win by luck is the worst, and you should feel bad. : (

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I killed a warlock that used reno for 21 and brann healbot for 16hp the turn after.

Double flamewaker is pretty good.

Taunting with cancer...

That is so wrong.

Rank 10 tonight! Almost one month of playing, too!

Kel'Thuzad in Zoolock won me 2 matches tonight that I would have lost otherwise, too.

Taunting when you win by luck is the worst, and you should feel bad. : (
I could win by a coin flip and I would dance on a Reno player's grave. :-D

Taunting with cancer...

That is so wrong.
Oh please, you're acting like I play Secret Paladin or Druid.

Dahbomb

Hunter is the OG cancer. It's where the word originated from.

Just like Phoenix in Marvel 3, you will always get hate for playing Hunter.

Kel'Thuzad in Zoolock won me 2 matches tonight that I would have lost otherwise, too.
That's the incorrect way of looking at things. How many games did you lose where Kelthzad sat in your hand or you lost anyway even when you played it? It's all about opportunity cost, you could've replaced Kelthuzad with a cheaper minion and that minion probably would've had more impact in more games.

CZ8m0b1UUAAQoZc.png:large

fertygo

Rank 10 tonight! Almost one month of playing, too!

I could win by a coin flip and I would dance on a Reno player's grave. :-D

Oh please, you're acting like I play Secret Paladin or Druid.

A month and already have Kel'thuzad?

You buying adventure set?

Me too want more advanced in this game, have advice?

A month and already have Kel'thuzad?

You buying adventure set?

Me too want more advanced in this game, have advice?
I bought the Naxx adventure, but haven't bought anything else. I am cool with giving Blizzard $25 for this very enjoyable game, much like I was fine with giving the Warframe developers $20 after spending a whole month playing their game. I have hit Rank 10 after playing for a month, and I have made a lot of mistakes along the way.

That said, here are my tips on making $$$ as a newbie:
1) Choose a cheap face deck to grind with. I chose Face Hunter because it's crazy cheap to make, very effective, and takes no brains to play. I recommend going to websites and reading a lot of deck lists to start understanding what's out there.

2) Do all of the quests the game starts you out with.

3) Do everything you can to get the bonus packs for loading the game on your phone, tablet, etc. I got 5 packs doing this, and I could get more if I had a better collection of devices.

4) Spend all of your gold and dust creating this face deck.

5) Grind matches while doing stuff on the side. No thought required, so you can watch a show and click stuff around when it's your turn. You can make 100g per day by getting 30 wins. I've only reached the 100g limit once, though - haha. 30 wins is a lot in a day. I only have 400 wins in the game total so far after a month.

6) Get the Google Rewards app on your phone. You get daily surveys that can give you free Hearthstone money. My wife and I do this together, and after 2 weeks we have $9 to spend on the game. Once I get to $14 I will buy two more adventures.

7) Don't do quests that are 40g. Instead, go to your Quest list, and hover over the quest. You can click on the "X" button in the top-right of each quest to re-roll it. Keep re-rolling for better quests. Last week I only did one 40g quest, and everything else was 50-60g. That increased the rates at which I can get packs a lot.

8) Do your Tavern Brawl every week for a free pack. If you have a class quest that you can't complete because you lack good cards for it, consider using the Tavern Brawl to get your wins - sometimes subpar decks can perform well depending on how the minigame is structured (for example, last week was the face deck Brawl, so if you have a bunch of cheap 2/1, 3/2, etc., minions, you can get your wins eventually even though you can't win anything in a real match.

9) Once you have your deck, stop dusting cards. I have crafted, disenchanted, re-crafted, and disenchanted experimental cards again, and it's all a big loss in the end. I'm pretty much done disenchanting now - it's just not something I will do because it's so inefficient. The obvious exceptions are gold cards (unless a gold set is important to you - I prefer my cards without animations) and duplicate cards - dust away with those! However, in general, I would rather build a large versatile collection than dust most of what I have to build a very specialized deck. On that note, playing only one deck gets pretty boring after a while. Once you have your first deck done, start looking at a secondary deck you want to make. It should also be cheap, because you aren't going to have the legendary cards to make amazing combo/control decks for a long time. Stick with zoo/aggro/tempo/face deck archetypes instead.

10) IF you have a lot of time, and IF you are confident in your gameplay, Arena is the best way to get more packs. It costs 150g to enter, and you are guaranteed a pack of cards. In the worst case scenario, you buy an expensive pack. If you are decent at the game, you will almost always win 3 matches. If you do, you will get ~50g + 1 pack, which means you just bought a pack for 100g like normal. However, if you have the RNGoddess on your side, you will sometimes go 7+ rounds in the game. At 7 rounds, you get the pack + 150g, so you just got a free pack. After 7 rounds, you are making a profit playing Arena. I don't do this anymore because it takes a lot of effort when I could be grinding 5 minute Face Hunter matches and I am constantly multi-tasking, but if you have a lot of free time to sit down and focus on the game, this is probably the best option out there.

fertygo

Thanks for typing this man, kudo!

These transition to standard make thing hard man, even if I spending money, LoE seem not as good as Nax that gonna goes boom.

Going into Arena sometime give you GvG pack, so I'm confused to what I'm supposed to grind for >_>

Thanks for typing this man, kudo!

These transition to standard make thing hard man, even if I spending money, LoE seem not as good as Nax that gonna goes boom.

Going into Arena sometime give you GvG pack, so I'm confused to what I'm supposed to grind for >_>
The answer to "what am I grinding for" depends on what your goals are. First, make that cheap deck I talked about. Then, ask yourself if you want to start making a new deck, or if you want to work toward perfecting your current deck. For example, right now I play Zoolock, and I really want Gang Boss Imp to get my deck closer to a "complete" state. So I know that I am going to save my Google Rewards money to buy Blackrock Mountain adventures.

All solid information. Though you can find most of that info in the links of the OT.
There's an OT? ;-)

Tarazet

Playing Miracle Rogue will be so much fucking easier once Loatheb is gone, holy fucking shit. Just played a Mage who played him on three turns in a row. That card alone makes the deck impossible to play.

Playing Miracle Rogue will be so much fucking easier once Loatheb is gone, holy fucking shit. Just played a Mage who played him on three turns in a row. That card alone makes the deck impossible to play.
By "played him three turns in a row", do you mean that you let him make copies? ;-)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
All solid information. Though you can find most of that info in the links of the OT.

I even did a video on it and put it in the OT. It's a bit out of date, though. I'll probably do an update video once the expansion releases.

The Adder

Banned
7) Don't do quests that are 40g. Instead, go to your Quest list, and hover over the quest. You can click on the "X" button in the top-right of each quest to re-roll it. Keep re-rolling for better quests. Last week I only did one 40g quest, and everything else was 50-60g. That increased the rates at which I can get packs a lot.

Addendum. Don't do this if you're behind on quests. The game backlogs your quests if you miss days and will give you up to 3 if you complete a tray and are 3+ days behind. Re-rolling quests wipes the backlog.

The Adder

Banned
I know. ;-)

Can you explain this another way? I'm not following you, and this seems new to me.

So say you clear out all of your quests then are too busy to do so for the next 6.

When you finally get back to the game and clear the three you can see, when you get a new quest it'll give you all 3 you missed at once.

However, if you re-roll it will delete your backlog.

So say you clear out all of your quests then are too busy to do so for the next 6.

When you finally get back to the game and clear the three you can see, when you get a new quest it'll give you all 3 you missed at once.

However, if you re-roll it will delete your backlog.
Just so we're clear:

1) I don't play for 6 days. I accumulate a backlog of 6 quests.
2) I get 3 quests when I log in.
3) The next time I get a quest, I will get 3 quests; 2 from my backlog.
4) If I reroll one of the quests I received in 2), the backlog disappears forever.

How big can your backlog get?

The Adder

Banned
Just so we're clear:

4) If I reroll one of the quests I received in 2), the backlog disappears forever.

Bingo

Not sure.

Tarazet

By "played him three turns in a row", do you mean that you let him make copies? ;-)

He played every secret that Mage can possibly run, including Spellbender. I suppose in hindsight I should have just forced him to trade away, but at that point I was just fed up because I had spent the entire day playing against Dragon Priest and Control Priest like some sort of Groundhog Day hell. After that particular game it was all I could do to not pull a Yoshichan on my desk.

accel

Just played my first 2 games of ranked. Before that, I played 1 casual match and got 2-3 on my first Arena run with Warlock.

If you are talking about the very first games of ranked, that is, at rank 25, then it's all going to change dramatically when you hit rank 20.

Just so we're clear:

I think you can only backlog 3 quests so 6 in total. It was a bug when it was first noticed but they haven't done anything about it so they may not have gotten around to it, or just don't care

Top Bottom