• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Zoggy

last week, the face had taunt,

now this week, all my minions have charge.

i'm having a smorc-gasm oh sweet jesus

tdjakes13.jpg

Pooya

Firebat said on his stream that he's invited to another mini tournament for the new expansion announcement event. TGT had one too, he won that one.

FeD.nL

Firebat said on his stream that he's invited to another mini tournament for the new expansion announcement event. TGT had one too, he won that one.

Hmm, TGT had month between the reveal tournament (July 22nd) and release (August 24th). It would be weird to launch the new format the second week of April, so hopefully a launch in the last week of March?

edit: Or the last week of April considering all the new stuff

Zoggy

i can't wait until another deck becomes popular and OP and then you guys start going "well, at least secret paladin wasn't this bad!"

i can't wait until another deck becomes popular and OP and then you guys start going "well, at least secret paladin wasn't this bad!"

I don't really understand how people think having less cards is going to help. There will still be a "bullshit OP" deck, but now you will have less chance to counter it.

We are living in the golden age of hearthstone right now.

FeD.nL

I don't really understand how people think having less cards is going to help. There will still be a "bullshit OP" deck, but now you will have less chance to counter it.

The less cards thing is going to be something temporary, since by the end of the year there will be more cards in standard than that we have now.

I agree that there will always be tier 1 decks that will have BS going on. Since the most broken cards will always see play. But I'm sure that Blizzard now at least has a vision for where it wants to go with the game the coming 2 years, which should make it so that we end up in an overall more balanced environment.

Lyng

It really depends. Alot of the most broken RNG cards are in Naxx and GvG.
But if blizz decide to just add the same amount of shit in the new exp then it is not going to help.

From what I'm guessing, they want to move away from decks that play themselves and have how you and your opponent play actually matter. A lot of the stronger decks now really only have to drop minions on the board to win.

Lumine

I agree with this. Well maybe not for that last sentence. :p

Seriously though, I always considered that building a larger collection so you have more options to build a deck from was as much a part of the appeal in a card game as the actual matches. I suppose that doesn't count for most players though, as they would rather just pick something from some internet list and stick with that.

I can understand that Blizzard wants to limit the pool of cards it has to balance with each other to make it easier on themselves, but I doubt it'll have the intended effect. Rather Blizzard will simply (try to) dictate now what the meta will be by taking options away from players. This doesn't however mean there won't be once again a deck that will be considered overpowered. Likely the contrary. There will be less competitive decks to pick from.

In the meanwhile in Wild the same decks will likely dominate that format for a long while now. I really do want Blizzard to shake things up again, just not like this. I'd rather have them nerf the overpowered cards, especially the random ones. It seems I'm in the minority though.

Lyng

I'd rather have them nerf the overpowered cards, especially the random ones. It seems I'm in the minority though.

No I agree with you. And beeing a completely digital game Blizzard dont have the same limitations as the physical card games have.

However Blizzard also want to make more money and making new expansions while making the old obsolete "forces" players to buy new cards.

jgminto

Rotating out previous expansions and not having cards like Piloted Shredder looming over their future design process is much better for the game.

Lumine

No I agree with you. And beeing a completely digital game Blizzard dont have the same limitations as the physical card games have.

Yeah. That's one of the reasons why I don't like it when people bring up Magic as an example who does it too. Magic is a physical card game and doesn't have the luxury or option to change their cards afterwards. Besides, their new sets are always filled with loads of reprints from previous sets. So you can keep using your old ones that are the same.

However Blizzard also want to make more money and making new expansions while making the old obsolete "forces" players to buy new cards.

Unfortunately you make a good point. It is a business after all.

Rotating out previous expansions and not having cards like Piloted Shredder looming over their future design process is much better for the game.

Agreed. The point is though that they could've just nerfed the Piloted Shredder itself. And if you ask me, they should've done so a long while ago. Among other cards.

jgminto

Agreed. The point is though that they could've just nerfed the Piloted Shredder itself. And if you ask me, they should've done so a long while ago. Among other cards.
How do you nerf Shredder and the other defining cards so that they're still usable without making them redundant? It just becomes a plate spinning act at some point and there's no way for that to be viable in the long term. Multiple formats allows for creativity with new cards while players can still play with their old favourites without them becoming a warped imitation of the original card.

Tarazet

It really depends. Alot of the most broken RNG cards are in Naxx and GvG.
But if blizz decide to just add the same amount of shit in the new exp then it is not going to help.

Joust and Discover put things more in the hands of the player.. Discover for obvious reasons, like a dose of Arena into your Constructed.. and Joust because you can intentionally curve your deck high.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah. That's one of the reasons why I don't like it when people bring up Magic as an example who does it too. Magic is a physical card game and doesn't have the luxury or option to change their cards afterwards. Besides, their new sets are always filled with loads of reprints from previous sets. So you can keep using your old ones that are the same.

Nerfing cards might keep the game balanced, but it does not in any way solve the problem with new expansions being decreasingly relevant and the looming threat of power creep as the only way to combat that.

The Magic comparison is completely valid for that reason.

Call Pet is such a bad card, even the greatness that is Tomb Spider can't save it.

I had a 5 win Hunter quest, so I threw together a Beast Hunter deck for this week's brawl. It had a bunch of cards in it that normally don't see play like Stablemaster (which did a surprising amount of work) and Call Pet. Even with a deck that was more than half beasts, Call Pet never once drew a beast. It pulled Mad Scientist, Stablemaster, and Houndmaster every time I played it. Despite Call Pet being worthless, I managed to go 5-1. I think Stablemaster and Mukla won me more games than even Highmane.

Lumine

How do you nerf Shredder and the other defining cards so that they're still usable without making them redundant? It just becomes a plate spinning act at some point and there's no way for that to be viable in the long term. Multiple formats allows for creativity with new cards while players can still play with their old favourites without them becoming a warped imitation of the original card.

Well there's always a fine line when designing cards. You could just tone Shredder ever so slightly, perhaps by giving it 3 attack instead of 4. That way it doesn't make almost all other 4 drops redundant, but you might still pick it when you build perhaps a mech or deathrattle deck. I'm not saying this is the way to do it though, It would have to be tested first. And nerfing one card will probably always have unforeseen consequences. I'm not against multiple formats either, I'm always for more features. That doesn't mean I like it that more than half my collection is reduced to legacy status and all future cards now come with an expiration date. I think I'd have preferred it if they made Wild into Standard and called Standard something like New, but perhaps without the classic set.

Nerfing cards might keep the game balanced, but it does not in any way solve the problem with new expansions being decreasingly relevant and the looming threat of power creep as the only way to combat that.

The Magic comparison is completely valid for that reason.

I can agree with that. Power creep is definitely a problem. Though perhaps if they had nerfed some cards a little more pro-actively and a little earlier, it would have at least not been a problem this fast.

Dahbomb

Blizzard would've nerfed Shredder and Dr Balanced if they didn't have formats in mind. They just let that rock knowing those cards were going to get banned anyway.

Owzers

I stopped playing Reno because i kept having him at the bottom of my deck, like vs freeze mage where i Kezan'd an ice block but still lost the game because Reno was one of the last three undrawn cards. I finally got a win streak going on to get to rank 6 with demon zoo and i lost to the same Reno warlock player twice in a row having reno early both times. Also the second game i made terrible mistakes, but i think i would have still lost.

Mana wyrm have no business have 3 hp with his super duper text
Several classes have a 1-mana super play that, if not countered quickly, dramatically changes the game in your favor.

Warlock has Flame Imp.
Mage has Mana Wyrm.
Priest has Northshire Cleric.
Shaman has Dust Devil and Trogg.

fuzzyset

So I had some Amazon gift cards and decided to start building my collection as I've really only played the solo adventures. I bought a 40 pack of classic. The only legendary I got was Nozdormu. On a scale from 1 to unlucky, how bad is that?

Dahbomb

So I had some Amazon gift cards and decided to start building my collection as I've really only played the solo adventures. I bought a 40 pack of classic. The only legendary I got was Nozdormu. On a scale from 1 to unlucky, how bad is that?
One Legendary off the norm.

So around a 4/10.

Several classes have a 1-mana super play that, if not countered quickly, dramatically changes the game in your favor.

Warlock has Flame Imp.
Mage has Mana Wyrm.
Priest has Northshire Cleric.
Shaman has Dust Devil and Trogg.

Mana Wyrm outclasses all of the others you listed. It almost always trades up, it regularly trades 2 for 1, and it often gets in some face damage before it gets removed. Northshire is way more situational. It's usually a better play to hold it until you have other minions that need healing than to slam it down on turn 1. Dust Devil is borderline unplayable. It can do ridiculous damage if the other player can't remove it, but with 1 health, that's rarely the situation. And a turn 1 Dust Devil means you don't get a turn 2. Tunnel Trogg's buff condition is a little harder to meet and comes with a downside since you have to be Overloaded. It is definitely a strong card, though. Flame Imp is probably the next best 1 drop because it's almost always going to trade up or shut down the other player's turn 1 play. But it gets worse as the game drags on and your health becomes more of a factor than its stat to cost ratio.

Apathy

I need a silence to win, even cycling with 2 northshire clerics, I lose, I requeue, and say before my cards ocme out, "two silences in my opening hand". What do I get? 2 silences in my opening hand. Yup, confirmation bias right. Fuck this game,

Also fuck face hunter up the ass, nothign but shit out minions and I can't even stop their secrets. Why would you make a game with only 2 ways to stop secrets, and one being taken out and one having to be a class specific? It makes zero sense.

Mana Wyrm outclasses all of the others you listed. It almost always trades up, it regularly trades 2 for 1, and it often gets in some face damage before it gets removed. Northshire is way more situational. It's usually a better play to hold it until you have other minions that need healing than to slam it down on turn 1. Dust Devil is borderline unplayable. It can do ridiculous damage if the other player can't remove it, but with 1 health, that's rarely the situation. And a turn 1 Dust Devil means you don't get a turn 2. Tunnel Trogg's buff condition is a little harder to meet and comes with a downside since you have to be Overloaded. It is definitely a strong card, though. Flame Imp is probably the next best 1 drop because it's almost always going to trade up or shut down the other player's turn 1 play. But it gets worse as the game drags on and your health becomes more of a factor than its stat to cost ratio.
Turn 1 Dust Devil means you don't get a turn 2, but Turn 1 double Dust Devil means 12 damage on turn 2, which is pretty incredible. If you want, just stick with the Trogg as an example, and I think it's pretty even in comparison.

The only problem I have with Mana Wyrm is the same problem I have with SI: Agent - coins should NOT count as a spell. Otherwise you can Mana Wyrm, coin, Arcane Missiles, and now you have a 3/3 on turn 1. That's pretty stupid. But if you did Mana Wyrm, coin, Arcane Missiles and he was a 2/3, then he would have the same stat ratio as Flame Imp at the cost of one spell, and I think that's pretty fair.

I need a silence to win, even cycling with 2 northshire clerics, I lose, I requeue, and say before my cards ocme out, "two silences in my opening hand". What do I get? 2 silences in my opening hand. Yup, confirmation bias right. Fuck this game,

Also fuck face hunter up the ass, nothign but shit out minions and I can't even stop their secrets. Why would you make a game with only 2 ways to stop secrets, and one being taken out and one having to be a class specific? It makes zero sense.
More Secret counters would be greatly appreciated.

Dahbomb

Dust Devil is so awful.

Skip turn 2 and get countered by hero power.

It's only relevant when it comes out of a Raptor and combos with Savage Roar.

Dahbomb

Trogg is very good obviously. But Trogg is getting rotated out next year, Mana Wyrm will always be in.

Dust Devil would be too strong at 3/2.

Maybe dust devil should be a 3/1 with an added effect of "until the start of your next turn, gain 1 hp" to prevent pings but still keep him fragile after the initial survival

Maybe it was the same guy. Did he use lots of minion-spawn effects plus the 2/2 treeant deathrattle spell?

It honestly didn't get that far. He crushed me by turn 4
Turn 1:
Me: Pass
Bieber: living roots
Turn 2
Me: Paladin Hero Power (had nothing else to play)
Bieber: Innervate --> Dragon Egg --> Coin --> Defender of Argus
Turn 3:
Me: Uh oh.
Bieber: Echoing Ooze
Turn 4:
Me: Please topdeck Consecration...nope, Dr. Boom.
Bieber: Savage Roar
Turn 5
GG

Had some downtime so I played a game on my phone. surprise, surprise, they award you a free pack for your first win on your phone.

Thanks Blizzard.

It honestly didn't get that far. He crushed me by turn 4
Turn 1:
Me: Pass
Bieber: living roots
Turn 2
Me: Paladin Hero Power (had nothing else to play)
Bieber: Innervate --> Dragon Egg --> Coin --> Defender of Argus
Turn 3:
Me: Uh oh.
Bieber: Echoing Ooze
Turn 4:
Me: Please topdeck Consecration...nope, Dr. Boom.
Bieber: Savage Roar
Turn 5
GG
Damn, that is amazing! I won all of my matches against him, but I play Zoo, so it was kind of like a weird Zoo mirror.

Weenies into Savage Roar is a cool idea.

greepoman

So what MC level card is blizz gonna make to push a theme down our throats this time? I look forward to the Rogue pirate MC..."if you have 10 pirates in your deck immediately win the game".

Damn, that is amazing! I won all of my matches against him, but I play Zoo, so it was kind of like a weird Zoo mirror.

Weenies into Savage Roar is a cool idea.
It was amazing which is why i sent the friend request. So much BM in this game though so I'm sure he thought I was just going to be a dick. Too bad you can't send a short message along with your friend request. Though that would definitely be abused as well.

JesseZao

Maybe dust devil should be a 3/1 with an added effect of "until the start of your next turn, gain 1 hp" to prevent pings but still keep him fragile after the initial survival

Or maybe it starts at 3/3 and takes 1 damage at the start of your turn. Sandstorms eventually dissipate.

So what MC level card is blizz gonna make to push a theme down our throats this time? I look forward to the Rogue pirate MC..."if you have 10 pirates in your deck immediately win the game".
"Your spells deal double damage."
"Give your minions +3/0, permanently."
"This minion has atk/health equal to your portrait health."
"Summon seven 3/3 minions."
"Equip a 10/10 weapon."
"Deal damage equal to your armor to all enemy characters."
"Draw 5 cards. They cost 0 mana to play this turn."
"Your Hero Power now drops the totem of your choice when you use it."
"Steady Shot now has no limit on usage per turn."

It was amazing which is why i sent the friend request. So much BM in this game though so I'm sure he thought I was just going to be a dick. Too bad you can't send a short message along with your friend request. Though that would definitely be abused as well.
"Accept my friend request so I can tell you what a loser you are."

Aylinato

"Equip a 10/10 weapon."

"Accept my friend request so I can tell you what a loser you are."

Shaman already has justicar, do people forget that??

Dahbomb

Might be interesting if the effect was dual sided in that your opponent got benefit from it too. Otherwise I would imagine that Blizzard would print this on a high end minion like Malygos and I doubt it would be as good as Malygos.

Druids already have Cenarius which gives +2/+2 permanently to all your minions.

"I got the beast in my sights"

Rafaam gives a card that does exactly that and it sucks.

"Equip a 10/10 weapon."
Depends on how you get it but I imagine that it would be attached to a pretty late card and will have a condition to be met. At that point the 10 durability doesn't matter, the game is going to end when they get to hit face twice with it.

AAAAYYY LMAO!!!

I actually wouldn't mind this as a board clear option for Warriors because they are lacking in that department. Just remove the character part and change it to enemy minions. Otherwise Warriors would just kill heroes by stacking enough armor.

This is broken even though Varian Wrynn kinda does that with 3 cards (not nearly as good). I would imagine they can make this a 10 mana Legendary spell and it might work.

It's called Justicar Trueheart.

They made a minion like this for Mage, Coldarra Drake. I think that equivalent would be fine for Hunter too (or other classes).

"Your spells deal double damage." Prophet Velen is already a card. Malygos is often better than double damage (flat +5). They're both gimmicks.
"Give your minions +3/0, permanently." We already have Everyfin which is +2/+2 to all minions permanently, nobody plays it.
"Summon seven 3/3 minions." You can get this from Rafaam, he's still not viable in competition.
"Equip a 10/10 weapon."
"Your Hero Power now drops the totem of your choice when you use it." Justicar does this now. It's terrible.

There's already a lot of crazy shit in the game that I'd really like to put in decks because they seem like fun cards, but they're just too slow. You get beat down by perfect curves or aggro because we don't have the defensive options to consistently hold out until the late game. I think this is going to get even worse in Standard because we're losing some of the best defensive cards in Belcher, Healbot, and Deathlord. Even if you survive long enough to play a lot of the crazier stuff, you get killed the next turn because you spent all of your mana developing some expensive minion without doing anything to the other guy's board.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I actually think that "Draw 5 cards, they cost (0) mana this turn turn" would be pretty cool.

Could up the ante to make it more "fair", like all your unplayed cards get discarded, and discarding extra card.

"Demonic Pact,10 mana Warlock Spell: Draw 5 cards, they cost (0) mana this turn. Discard the next 5 cards in your deck. Discard all the cards drawn this turn at the end of your turn."

ViviOggi

Played against the silliest Handlock, first there was double Chow so I knew it likely wasn't Reno. Then he busts out a Gang Boss and ERF, I'm already like wtf... Reno after all? But he had Twilight Drakes, double Darkbomb/Shadowflame/Coil/Healbot/Belcher/Siphon etc., and suddenly there's a random Brotherbrann Bill and Rag. I'm thinking "oh some streamer ironically played Fatigue Warlock" - but the guy's tapping like a fucking madman despite being 5+ cards ahead and me having dropped monkey early, so I get afraid of the combo and trade every turn. No Jaraxxus, no Mountains. Down to 2 cards in hand and 1 left in the deck HE STILL TAPS and I'm like oh shit that's it I'm dead despite this all-golden legendary board...

Having healed 24/7 he plays a 9 mana Molten and passes. I assume the other two cards were second Molten and his only taunt giver. What the fuck is that list and why you tapping bro?

Top Bottom