• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Portugeezer

Rafaam's powerful artifact should cost less... 8 mana max. Maybe 6 mana. Considering he already has bad base stats for 9 mana.

I mean come on, he's a fucking legendary, where is the legendary value?

10 mana for 10 random damage? Is bad. Compare to Paladin's 6 mana 8 random damage spell.
10 mana for +10/10 buff? So much single target removal and silences... it's not reliable, and at least requires a minion already on board to be viable.
10 mana for a flood of 3/3 zombies? Easily cleared against most classes.

Owzers

Hurray dust, glorious dust. After losing all my rank 6 stars from full stars i got to rank 5 through a trail of shaman and tempo mage despair against my demon zoo. I crafted Malganis just to hear him say I AM MALGANIS all the time before standard was announced, decided to take a secret pally/druid break to make use of him.

Brawl pack. My luck is turning?

TDGD0yM.png

(Cho is immediate dust fodder.)

Rafaam's powerful artifact should cost less... 8 mana max. Maybe 6 mana. Considering he already has bad base stats for 9 mana.

10 mana for 10 random damage? Is bad. Compare to Paladin's 6 mana 8 random damage spell.
10 mana for +10/10 buff? So much single target removal and silences... it's not reliable, and at least requires a minion already on board to be viable.

Earlier this month I played against a Mech Mage with Midrange Paladin. Dude got me down to 2 health before I was able to take the board from him. Basically, I was guaranteed dead in 2 turns if he just used hero power on my face. Instead, he played a turn 9 Rafaam. I BGHed Rafaam and hit his face with everthing I had on board and then flooded the board with as many minions as I could expecing the 10 random damage spell. I had something like 7 minions on board, he throws out the spell and hits me in the face once, but doesn't have mana leftover to Fireblast me for the win. I still can't figure out what the fuck that guy was thinking even putting Rafaam in that deck, much less using 19 mana in an attempt to do 2 face damage.

Lead

Banned
Double molten giant void terror in the brawl lol
Pretty much. This is THE Warlock brawl.

You can also combo molten giants with the pandas just like the good old day with OTK molten warrior.

Another combo is using poweroverwhelmings with that 1/1 charge dude and then void terror.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
10 mana for 10 random damage? Is bad. Compare to Paladin's 6 mana 8 random damage spell

Not really a fair comparison. The Arcane Missles and Avenging Wrath effect gets exponentially better the more missles you add, because the more missles you add the more likely it is that you will kill something.

You have to realize that it's a neutral card, and you're comparison it to class cards. It isn't about a Paladin dealing 10 damage for 10 mana. It's about a Warrior, Warlock, etc. dealing 10 damage for 10 mana. Similar for the 3/3 board. That's going to synergize best for Druid/Shaman. Also, since it has diversity of options when playing the card, each of those options has to be less good than if it only had one option.

Dahbomb

You have to realize that it's a neutral card, and you're comparison it to class cards. It isn't about a Paladin dealing 10 damage for 10 mana. It's about a Warrior, Warlock, etc. dealing 10 damage for 10 mana. Similar for the 3/3 board. That's going to synergize best for Druid/Shaman. Also, since it has diversity of options when playing the card, each of those options has to be less good than if it only had one option.
That's a valid point but when you compare to Ysera, Rafaam looks pretty weak. About the same stats for cost, Ysera gives you a dream card randomly from a select of a few cards where Rafaam discovers an artifact card out of 3. While Ysera's effect is random, every card that you can get from Ysera is far superior than what the card would be if it was a normal card (essentially costs 2 less than what they would actually be).

Rafaam on the other hand produces card that probably cost either about as much as they should or 1 more. That's why Ysera is the superior value choice and has the "must kill now" attribute to it where it can snowball out of control.

Nordicus

Hmm, some of the card effect explanations are lacking.

Why doesn't Fel Reaver's card have the "Battlecry: Deals 40 damage to opponent IQ in Arena" effect listed?

Apathy

The further away from the initial announcement we get the more interested I get in getting some information. Feels like it's been so long since it happen.

Xanathus

Okay, so I haven't played in a while. Fired it up, how come all of my decks have a red X on them?
Check to see if your account still owns Adventures/Expansions, people have been reporting a bug where they go missing. You may have to contact Blizzard support if so.

Played against the silliest Handlock, first there was double Chow so I knew it likely wasn't Reno. Then he busts out a Gang Boss and ERF, I'm already like wtf... Reno after all? But he had Twilight Drakes, double Darkbomb/Shadowflame/Coil/Healbot/Belcher/Siphon etc., and suddenly there's a random Brotherbrann Bill and Rag. I'm thinking "oh some streamer ironically played Fatigue Warlock" - but the guy's tapping like a fucking madman despite being 5+ cards ahead and me having dropped monkey early, so I get afraid of the combo and trade every turn. No Jaraxxus, no Mountains. Down to 2 cards in hand and 1 left in the deck HE STILL TAPS and I'm like oh shit that's it I'm dead despite this all-golden legendary board...

Having healed 24/7 he plays a 9 mana Molten and passes. I assume the other two cards were second Molten and his only taunt giver. What the fuck is that list and why you tapping bro?
I had a mage at rank 10. He didn't play anything for the first 4 turns. Just Fire Blast. So I thought "Hmm, maybe a freeze mage risking the wait to AoE me down?" That has happened quite a few times. Nope. Tempo mage with a (presumably) awful draw. Turn 5 he drops Firewaker and Arcane Missiles, but there was no way he could come back at that point.

That's a valid point but when you compare to Ysera, Rafaam looks pretty weak. About the same stats for cost, Ysera gives you a dream card randomly from a select of a few cards where Rafaam discovers an artifact card out of 3. While Ysera's effect is random, every card that you can get from Ysera is far superior than what the card would be if it was a normal card (essentially costs 2 less than what they would actually be).

Rafaam on the other hand produces card that probably cost either about as much as they should or 1 more. That's why Ysera is the superior value choice and has the "must kill now" attribute to it where it can snowball out of control.
I kind of judge legendaries on the assumption that they will only live for one turn max. For for Kel'Thuzad, I think "Can I get enough stuff on the board that it's worthwhile to trade it all off and resurrect it once?" If Kel'Thuzad survives beyond that point, then I'm really fortunate and probably win. By that same measure, I look at Ysera vs. Rafaam, and I think: if I only get one turn with Ysera or one turn with Rafaam, which is better?

Maybe it's just me, but every other deck I play against has ways to steal or insta-kill anything I play if it wants to.

Playing against fatigue decks is so fucking boring.

But it feels oh so good when you beat them.
I feel constantly on edge against those decks, because the number of considerations to make are basically infinite. You have no idea what they could do every turn. Then, who knows how many times they could play Healbot, bounce it, and Healbot again to keep the whole thing going.

I don't find them boring, though, because the set the tone for "play whatever you can every turn and go nuts, there's plenty of cards to come", and it makes for a wild game every time.

I imagine mill decks get wrecked hard by cards that focus on spell damage though, lol...

Hmm, some of the card effect explanations are lacking.

Why doesn't Fel Reaver's card have the "Battlecry: Deals 40 damage to opponent IQ in Arena" effect listed?
It kind of reminds me of Phyrexian Colossus. Loved that damn card.

Why no "end enemy turn" trap card, would've cool.
It's called "Frost Nova". ;-D

Dahbomb

By that same measure, I look at Ysera vs. Rafaam, and I think: if I only get one turn with Ysera or one turn with Rafaam, which is better?

Maybe it's just me, but every other deck I play against has ways to steal or insta-kill anything I play if it wants to.
If you get Ysera's Awakens from Ysera then it's absolutely better than Rafaam. A lot of classes have issues dealing with Ysera.

Plus Rafaam takes BGH to the face as well.

Also Nefarian is probably better than Rafaam too.

I imagine mill decks get wrecked hard by cards that focus on spell damage though, lol...
No they get wrecked by agro decks.

Skunkers

Check to see if your account still owns Adventures/Expansions, people have been reporting a bug where they go missing. You may have to contact Blizzard support if so.

The expansion Wings i bought are still accessible. They show as purchased on the store. When i go to Practice or Play though, all my decks are Xed. Did they already implement this Standard/Wild thing, could that be causing it?

The expansion Wings i bought are still accessible. They show as purchased on the store. When i go to Practice or Play though, all my decks are Xed. Did they already implement this Standard/Wild thing, could that be causing it?

Go to the deck builder and remove a card and put it back in. Or worst case scenario just remake the deck.

Pooya

The shop is telling me I've ordered 1 item, Hall of Explorers. Purchase Complete. Well, I bought that like in December. lol

jeeves and divine favor with a paladin smorc/buff deck is so cash in this brawl, i love it. jeeves getting auto taunt is so unfair. threw in black knight as my only expensive card because it's way too good not to.

guIlVz3.jpg

Any suggestions for my brawl deck? it rips hard IMO. honestly muster for battle might be the weakest card here, since it doesn't synergize with my sword of justice (which is amazing since the games are quick and i can get value from it in 1-2 turns btw), and juggles is hard to keep alive. its good to always have something on the board to buff or avenge though. but honestly i'm really satisfied, 2x jeeves and 1x divine favor make it hard to get to turn 7 without cards and it's so easy to get lethals by turn 6

jeeves is hilarious because you can always get 3 cards from him unless you got stuck with a divine or the other jeeve, and opponent basically has to kill him immediately. black knight is just too good not to include, uldaman is hard to not include as well even though its a little expensive (considering this strategy of spit it all out and refresh).

divine shield is insanely good in this brawl when you can buff them as hard as paladwin can

fertygo

I don't mind Freeze Mage, Tempo mage tho can go to hell

Mana Wyrm
SA
Esportal
Flame Walker

All can used within first 3 turn and ensure win

Swap it for Scarlet Crusader.

its kind of nice having a guaranteed buff target though with my lineup (unless they have AOE very unlikely they'll clear 3 tokens in this crazy brawl). crusader is solid though. it seems like almost every deck i face is just trying ancient walker/eerie statue/ molten, lame, i find my mad rush a lot more fun lol

pandas are OP but not with my cheap card refresh/buff deck

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind Freeze Mage, Tempo mage tho can go to hell

Mana Wyrm
SA
Esportal
Flame Walker

All can used within first 3 turn and ensure win

That deck man. I don't get it. I do the same things with it. When it is played against me, ESPORTAL gives Onxiya or some shit. When I play it, MurlocTinyfin or similar. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

So happy that card and some of the other bullshit in there (Mad Scientist mostly) are going away.

Just played a yoshi. Wonder if it's GAF's yoshi. If it is, sorry about the whole secret paladin thing. Just trying to get to rank 5 before the season is over.

molten giant is a really stupid card IMO

secret paladin is the most boring deck ever, i have no idea how people can have fun piloting it, it's a pure bot deck

Pooya

I'm playing renolock against a tempo mage, he esportals into Dr. Boom and ice howl. He has effigy up on ice howl, it turns into Cenarius. I guess I was lucky on that one. Almost getting out valued by a freaking tempo mage lol.

Next game against priest is going really badly, I don't play Jaraxxus. He plays Paletress into Majordomo, that was easy game thanks.

Raxus

Kripp used to be the go to guy to talk about Hearthstone a couple years ago now he just gives shit advice every set. I dunno when he even streams anymore. Yet he keeps getting invited to give shit commentary at tournaments.

Pooya

This druid guy just innervated and vomited his entire hand out on turn 6, I equality consec it. Friend request.... a lot of insults and gloating about his rank.... which is worse than me lol. At least look before going at it. This was in casual mode btw and I'm playing self made control paly with argent horseriders, it's working quite well.

Next game, it's a malyrogue, a horrible match up. Guess what he plays malygos with gadgetzan on board, kills himself with fatigue before he kills me. loool.

I've been getting 60g quests this week, saved up a bit. It's still not 2000 yet, I will probably pay up this time. I covered TGT with like 5000 gold, no money, it was more than enough actually. This expansion is probably stronger. I have like 5000 dust, I should be fine for legendary cards.

Tomcat

Dog climbed from rank 5 to legend in 4 hours yesterday with Malygos Rogue. Impressive run ending at 38-10.

Also congrats.

Thanks
That's a good deck to counter the meta.

On the other hand forsen/Eloise (yeah I know she is legend at Asian server) aren't legend yet and they play way more hours than most of us.

Top Bottom