• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
20k finally.

lpvpWq1.png

I did have about 2.5k but I spunked most of it on the wings of Blackrock Mountain I didn't have. Thought the cards might be useful when "Standard" hits.

Xanathus

Here's my Murloc Pally deck I've been playing around with recently. I replaced Muster for Battle with Deathlords, so obviously this makes it a completely unique deck of it's own that I can put my name on just like Chakki. It's still got a 50% ish win-rate against aggro/tempo decks but it's significantly favored against control decks.

Why you should play this deck:

Danj

Argh. Still so hard to rank up at the end of the month. Was on Rank 13, thought I'd try and at least get rank 12 but no, I've slipped nearly all the way down to 15 :(

Back up to Rank 11. :-/

I'm starting to think I just don't have the cards to hit Rank 10. I need stuff like Dr. Boom.

Here is a tip, Chakki's aggro shaman list is really good, like too good. Turns out Dr. Boom is an ok card.
Post list?

I buy a pack every 100 gold... feels bad man.
Especially when the pack has 0 cards you care about.

Though I don't know if I could save up, or even be bothered to save up. Every time I hit 100g I think "This might be the pack!"

Danj

I'm starting to think I just don't have the cards to hit Rank 10. I need stuff like Dr. Boom.

Owning Dr. Boom doesn't guarantee you to be able to get to Rank 10. I have Dr. Boom and I can't get past 13.

Though I don't know if I could save up, or even be bothered to save up. Every time I hit 100g I think "This might be the pack!"

My packs are usually all duplicates these days. It gets me a little dust I guess but it's still depressing.

At least I know the rate of getting legendaries from packs is at least one every 40 packs now though. Earlier in the thread someone recommended http://pitytracker.com/ for tracking it, seems pretty good so far.

The Adder

Banned

Post list?

Save up to 150 and play Arena instead. Better investment if you can manage at least 3-3 consistently. Then save up another 150 (not including Arena winnings) and repeat.

Apathy

I swear, secrets are 100% going to be the thing that makes me stop playing this game. Fuck them and fuck blizzard for not giving us more tools to get around them

Miletius

I swear, secrets are 100% going to be the thing that makes me stop playing this game. Fuck them and fuck blizzard for not giving us more tools to get around them

Secrets will be fine once mad scientist and avenge are gone in my opinion. Playing a secret should be decision to lose tempo in the short term to gain advantage in the long term.

I guess, also I should note that I love all the mage tricky secrets so I'm biased. Mage is by far my favorite class based on how they interact with the board.

Dahbomb

Secrets are fine, learn to play around them.

Right now Secrets are over the top due to Mad Scientist. Once they are removed, there will be far less Secrets in the play field unless they introduce more broken secret cards. Suddenly Hunters will feel bad about wasting their turn 2 setting up a trap that gets tripped by a 1/1.

Secret Paladin though I feel will still be around. Even if MC plus 3 Secrets that's absurd value.

Apathy

Secrets will be fine once mad scientist and avenge are gone in my opinion. Playing a secret should be decision to lose tempo in the short term to gain advantage in the long term.

I guess, also I should note that I love all the mage tricky secrets so I'm biased. Mage is by far my favorite class based on how they interact with the board.

But you don't really lose anything right now even just playing a secret. The lose of tempo you might lose while playing it also then forces you opponents next move to be modified, in essence negating any downside to playing it. You cause your opponent to make plays they wouldn't otherwise do, with no drawback.

Secrets are fine, learn to play around them.

Right now Secrets are over the top due to Mad Scientist. Once they are removed, there will be far less Secrets in the play field unless they introduce more broken secret cards. Suddenly Hunters will feel bad about wasting their turn 2 setting up a trap that gets tripped by a 1/1.

Secret Paladin though I feel will still be around. Even if MC plus 3 Secrets that's absurd value.

Secrets are not fine, and I know how to play around them. Without counters secrets are overpowered however you slice it. Kezan Mystic and only a hunter being able to deal with secrets is beyond stupid. It forces misplays from opponents, because if you are playing a mage, even with minions on the board, and they put up a secret, if you have no low health or low impact minions to play you gotta give up something big that can hurt you back, or if you have spells that would help you later but now you have to waste them to see if it's counter spell/spellbender. God forbid if there's a taunt in the way, otherwise the mage is getting 2 more of them, or a minion that cost the same as that taunt. And then, even after testing for all that in one turn, you think you're in the clear and now have to send a minion to die and you better hope you only have big ones otherwise it's a 3 mana instant destruction of that minion.

Ice Block and Ice Barrier might be the most fair secrets a mage has, which is hilarious to say.

The same shit I have to do when playing against a paladin and a hunter.

It is a zero risk move for a secret to be played (and basically a plus if played with a kirin tor mage). MC is the worst offender, and no one can deny that, but it's ridiculous that there aren't more counters to them.

Dahbomb

But you don't really lose anything right now even just playing a secret. The lose of tempo you might lose while playing it also then forces you opponents next move to be modified, in essence negating any downside to playing it. You cause your opponent to make plays they wouldn't otherwise do, with no drawback.
It goes both ways.

If the Mage plays a Mirror Entity and you call the bluff, you can play an Abusive Sergeant into an Imp Gang on your turn 4, then trade your 2 mana minion into their Abusive. They essentially spend 3 mana to play an Abusive Sergeant, a play that has probably lost them the game.

There's absolutely a downside to playing Secrets. However, there's no downside to play Mad Scientist which is why the card is busted.

A lot of secrets won't get played at all anymore without Mad Scientist. Mage secrets are expensive and relatively easy to play around when they don't get them out for free. They're very likely to get low value off of Mirror Entity and Counterspell when it costs them 3 mana and a card. Freeze Mage will still run Ice Block and Ice Barrier, but I doubt you'll see secrets in Tempo Mage anymore. There's just too high of a chance that you pay 3 mana for a 1 drop or to block the Coin.

Portugeezer

A lot of secrets won't get played at all anymore without Mad Scientist. Mage secrets are expensive and relatively easy to play around when they don't get them out for free. They're very likely to get low value off of Mirror Entity and Counterspell when it costs them 3 mana and a card. Freeze Mage will still run Ice Block and Ice Barrier, but I doubt you'll see secrets in Tempo Mage anymore. There's just too high of a chance that you pay 3 mana for a 1 drop or to block the Coin.

Mage can still play Kirin and a secret for free. The only downside is that it doesn't remove a secret from your deck (it's not a downside, just shows how OP mad scientist was), but still good value with good 3 drop stats.

Mage can still play Kirin and a secret for free. The only downside is that it doesn't remove a secret from your deck (it's not a downside, just shows how OP mad scientist was), but still good value with good 3 drop stats.

That's true, but it also requires you to have both cards in your hand at the same time and the play costs you 2 cards rather than 1 plus 1 pulled out of your deck for free. It also costs more mana to play Kirin Tor than it does to play Mad Scientist, so there's less of a tempo gain. It's not impossible, but it's much clunkier than throwing out a Mad Scientist whenever you happen to draw it and getting a free secret. And any time a secret is played from hand rather than pulled by Mad Scientist, it actually matters when people successfully play around it. When the secret is free, it's just a bonus if all you get is a 1 drop or block a spare part. When it costs you a card, that shit hurts. Mage secrets didn't get played very much before Mad Scientist came out, and I don't expect to see them much after Mad Scientist leaves.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Not really. Secret Paladin is strong because Paladin has an absurd early game and 4 of their 7 secrets in the deck are perfectly playable on their own.

Their early game is likely kneecapped unless they get strong replacements for Minibot, Muster, and Coghammer.

They lose 2 playable secrets unless Paladin gets another playable secret in the set.

And they lose significant value from MC without Avenge.

Like 50% of that deck is gone right now. I wouldn't say it's impossible given that we don't know what's in the new set, but Blizzard has to give Pallies a lot of insane cards all at once.

Portugeezer

That's true, but it also requires you to have both cards in your hand at the same time and the play costs you 2 cards rather than 1 plus 1 pulled out of your deck for free. It also costs more mana to play Kirin Tor than it does to play Mad Scientist, so there's less of a tempo gain. It's not impossible, but it's much clunkier than throwing out a Mad Scientist whenever you happen to draw it and getting a free secret. And any time a secret is played from hand rather than pulled by Mad Scientist, it actually matters when people successfully play around it. When the secret is free, it's just a bonus if all you get is a 1 drop or block a spare part. When it costs you a card, that shit hurts. Mage secrets didn't get played very much before Mad Scientist came out, and I don't expect to see them much after Mad Scientist leaves.

Ok, but you cost your opponent tempo by not allowing them to play optimally. Everyone tries to play around Mirror Entity, even if it isn't. People waste smaller spells to test for counter spell. So it forces people to play sub-optimally and waste mana. Unless they really have no other option or have to take the risk.

Of course, the value of Mad Scientist is more than Kirin, too much in fact for Mage, but people dealt with it because no one was going to change it, like Dr Boom.

New good secrets will come.

Tarazet

Ok, but you cost your opponent tempo by not allowing them to play optimally. Everyone tries to play around Mirror Entity, even if it isn't. People waste smaller spells to test for counter spell. So it forces people to play sub-optimally and waste mana. Unless they really have no other option or have to take the risk.

Of course, the value of Mad Scientist is more than Kirin, too much in fact for Mage, but people dealt with it because no one was going to change it, like Dr Boom.

Make Ironbeak Owl silence heroes, kappa.

A slight hiccup in tempo often isn't worth a card, even if you can get it out for free on occasion. We already played in a meta where both Kirin Tor Mage and 6 out of 8 of the currently available secrets were in play (Mirror Entity, Counterspell, Ice Barrier, Ice Block, Spellbender, and Vaporize. Effigy and Duplicate are the new secrets). They're just not very good on their own. They're great as a deathrattle from a 2 mana minion that itself has acceptable stats, but as a card drawn and played from hand, they kind of suck. You're much better off either playing your own minion or playing one of Mage's better spells.

Owning Dr. Boom doesn't guarantee you to be able to get to Rank 10. I have Dr. Boom and I can't get past 13.

My packs are usually all duplicates these days. It gets me a little dust I guess but it's still depressing.

At least I know the rate of getting legendaries from packs is at least one every 40 packs now though. Earlier in the thread someone recommended http://pitytracker.com/ for tracking it, seems pretty good so far.
I was already rank 10 earlier this week. Dr. Boom and Mal'Ganis would definitely guarantee rank 5 for me.

Save up to 150 and play Arena instead. Better investment if you can manage at least 3-3 consistently. Then save up another 150 (not including Arena winnings) and repeat.
I know it's a better deal, but I'm trying to hit rank 5 by the end of this week. I only get two hours or so to play each night, so I have to pick my source. I've never gotten worse than 3 wins before being done, though. Dahbomb has tutored me quite a bit on how to make my deck and plays.

Then again, a part of me thinks that rank 5 might be way out of my reach. Maybe I should do more Arena.

Also, is it just me, or do you not build toward the 10g/3 win reward during Arena?

Make Ironbeak Owl silence heroes, kappa.
I think this could be fair for 1 turn.

Just go Druid if you want an easy way to 5. Most my alt/f2p accounts don't have refined net decks but i still get to 5 on them just with the classic combo druid. Just swap out shit like shade with the 4/2 stealth. You can add in an extra azure or heal bot for not having lotheb/belch. If you have no boom that sucks since their really no classic 7 common/basic 7 mana drop for that but maybe something like kraken or go tech with Kezan/ooze.

Naw there should just be two owls, one that silences effects, and one that silences taunt. Separate but both useful for different purposes. And stops ancient walker/eerie statue BS like is plaguing this TB

fertygo

People get mad over trap, why?

Its hardest card to get most of its value, only those card that can chuck it out for free that made it BS.

Btw any card game should have trap mechanic by default for reactionary act, if anything trap in HS is too weak by default of card and too few in numbers that made it as obvious as daylight lol.

Naw there should just be two owls, one that silences effects, and one that silences taunt. Separate but both useful for different purposes. And stops ancient walker/eerie statue BS like is plaguing this TB

I'm not a huge fan of silence = remove every ability something has.

I would rather have a Dispel for taking off buffs, and a Silence for removing innate creature abilities. Dispel could also destroy secrets.

I think we'll just have to live with silence for the time being. It's relegated to a very small number of cards and Blizzard is never going to print more silence cards unless it's crap like Light's Champion.

Plus Ironbeak is a potential candidate to get nerfed so we'll see what happens.

Top Bottom