• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

accel

Hello all :)
I started HS in the beginning of february and I'm hooked. I've been slowly learning the ropes of the game and just finished heroic naxx, heroic LoE and heroic BRM!
Got to rank 19 just for the card back and been doing my first two arena runs aswell.
I have been reading a lot of the guides linked in this OT and I'm really thirsty to become better - I have a couple of questions though:

1. Which type of deck is recommended (for a beginner) to use in ladder this month?

2. Does it matter which streams of Trump I watch? Are there others that have good streams/YT that explain drafting in Arena and playing etc? Seems like most streams I've caught have been a lot of offtopic and blabbering..

3. Tilt/rage - Are there any good tips to offset this? The first arena I did I got to 6/3 which is OK, I had pretty OK mage deck thanks to heartharena app. Second arena I had to pick between priest/warlock/warrior so I took priest and oh boy... I raged so hard. Terrible picks all around, no removals offered, no clerics offered, really bad. I got 2 wins 3 losses and I just flew off the handle, I did not recognise myself :( I try to take my time on turns and play around class cards etc but it did not help, I got pummeled..

4. any general tips for a newbie?

Thanks for reading all this!

Here's my bit, hopefully not too late. That's from the perspective of someone who mostly only cares about arenas:

2 - If you are into arenas, I suggest watching Shadybunny and Hafu. Shadybunny basically thinks out aloud, that's very useful. Hafu is somewhat less vocal, but she talks about her thought process frequently as well. There is also a duo of Adwcta + Merps, these guys record complete arena runs talking through everything on purpose. Someone on reddit maintains a spreadsheet with all arena streamers, tracking their results and whatnot, if you are into arenas, you might want to see it (and check out some of the streams referred by it as well as gather a lot of data).

3 - I have been tilting pretty hard more than once as well. I know you just have to accept that the game is (very roughly) 1/3 your skill, 1/3 your cards and 1/3 your luck, and that at least the last third you have completely no control over, it's just RNG, and so a big part of your losses just can't be helped, no one would have been able to win them, not Lifecoach, not Kolento, no one. I didn't master the art of staying calm thinking about that perfectly, but I was making progress. :)

4 - Biggest tip: decide what it is that you want to do in HS. There are several different things you can concentrate on and they take a heck of a lot of time, so you can't go in all directions (unless you don't plan on seeing results earlier than 6 months or so). You want to rank? Then go and look up a cheap deck, build it, try playing with it. You will likely grow bored of it, because you'll have to play it for months, that's one of the drawbacks. Want to build a full collection? Then decide which parts you are going to buy for real money vs which parts you are going to buy for gold, make a big spreadsheet of all cards, cross those you have, bla bla bla, and build a deck that is easy to play while watching a movie, going for gold for 10 times 3 wins per day (they take time). Etc.

Have fun and don't take it too seriously.

Fishlake

Hahahaha. I decided that since GvG was rotating out I would by one pack until I got a legendary to use up any good will on it. First pack I get Malganis a golden rare and a rare. I'll be playing warlock more often for now.

chiliboy

Here's my bit, hopefully not too late. That's from the perspective of someone who mostly only cares about arenas:

2 - If you are into arenas, I suggest watching Shadybunny and Hafu. Shadybunny basically thinks out aloud, that's very useful. Hafu is somewhat less vocal, but she talks about her thought process frequently as well. There is also a duo of Adwcta + Merps, these guys record complete arena runs talking through everything on purpose. Someone on reddit maintains a spreadsheet with all arena streamers, tracking their results and whatnot, if you are into arenas, you might want to see it (and check out some of the streams referred by it as well as gather a lot of data).

3 - I have been tilting pretty hard more than once as well. I know you just have to accept that the game is (very roughly) 1/3 your skill, 1/3 your cards and 1/3 your luck, and that at least the last third you have completely no control over, it's just RNG, and so a big part of your losses just can't be helped, no one would have been able to win them, not Lifecoach, not Kolento, no one. I didn't master the art of staying calm thinking about that perfectly, but I was making progress. :)

4 - Biggest tip: decide what it is that you want to do in HS. There are several different things you can concentrate on and they take a heck of a lot of time, so you can't go in all directions (unless you don't plan on seeing results earlier than 6 months or so). You want to rank? Then go and look up a cheap deck, build it, try playing with it. You will likely grow bored of it, because you'll have to play it for months, that's one of the drawbacks. Want to build a full collection? Then decide which parts you are going to buy for real money vs which parts you are going to buy for gold, make a big spreadsheet of all cards, cross those you have, bla bla bla, and build a deck that is easy to play while watching a movie, going for gold for 10 times 3 wins per day (they take time). Etc.

Well hot damn, thank you so much for all the tips :D added to my notes, will look it through in a bit!
I like people who think out loud, i will check in on shadybunny!

Minsc

Gold Member
Though I haven't posted in a while, I feel compelled to say this game is in the absolute worst place it's ever been in its entire lifespan. Everything about the game in the current state / meta is basically the opposite of fun and what I wanted from Hearthstone.

The whole concept of playing a game on the board has been replaced with ridiculous value (rather RNG) from 1 or 2 cards that set your opponent back so far they can never recover, and if you don't mulligan a perfect start, you might as well quit turn 1. If you do get the counters to those perfect drops, the other player is just so all-in, that their strategy has no other plays than quitting.

I really hope standard moves the game in the right direction, really tired of stuff like MC, FoN, KJ getting the perfect drops, owls removing anything from the game for 2 mana, paladins drawing 5+ cards off a few mana, etc etc.

Agraavan

Well hot damn, thank you so much for all the tips :D added to my notes, will look it through in a bit!
I like people who think out loud, i will check in on shadybunny!
If you see Hafu, Rastman, Shadybunny or ADWCTA/Merps online, you can't go wrong with any of them.

*listed them in order of best Arena Players to worst, in my opinion.

chiliboy

If you see Hafu, Rastman, Shadybunny or ADWCTA/Merps online, you can't go wrong with any of them.

*listed them in order of best Arena Players to worst, in my opinion.

got a question for you both: any good videos in particular to start with regarding hafu, rastman and shadybunny? They have SO MANY videos, its overwhelming..

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The whole concept of playing a game on the board has been replaced with ridiculous value (rather RNG) from 1 or 2 cards that set your opponent back so far they can never recover, and if you don't mulligan a perfect start, you might as well quit turn 1. If you do get the counters to those perfect drops, the other player is just so all-in, that their strategy has no other plays than quitting.

I really hope standard moves the game in the right direction, really tired of stuff like MC, FoN, KJ getting the perfect drops, owls removing anything from the game for 2 mana, paladins drawing 5+ cards off a few mana, etc etc.

I don't understand how you want the game to move from dropping value stuff on curve every turn like Secret Paladin and then you complain about ironbeak owl, one of the few viable tech cards in the game that doesn't even make it into those kinds of decks most of the time.

ViviOggi

Though I haven't posted in a while, I feel compelled to say this game is in the absolute worst place it's ever been in its entire lifespan. Everything about the game in the current state / meta is basically the opposite of fun and what I wanted from Hearthstone.

If it wasn't for dailies and rank 5 rewards I wouldn't have played a single game of constructed in at least the last two months

got a question for you both: any good videos in particular to start with regarding hafu, rastman and shadybunny? They have SO MANY videos, its overwhelming..
I only watch those on Twitch but I want to add ADWCTA/Merps on YT to that list. Just check out the most recent coops and you're good. They also regularly feature other arena streamers, the ones with Hafu and Shadybunny are top notch.

ViviOggi

Owl is hardly a tech card, it's a universal taunt silencer for aggro with the added bonus of destroying your Sylvanas in case you actually manage to drop one. Of course Druid doesn't run it when they have Keeper.

accel

I was doing it like this:

1. Spend 150 gold to buy an arena run.
2. Select the class. Do nothing else (might compose the deck now, might later, your choice).
3. Go to, say, Adwcta's channel and select the most recent playlist with the arena run for that class. Watch it through in its entirety.
4. Do my own run with the class.

Lately, the arena streamers are trying to do the 100 in 10 challenge (get 100 wins from 10 consecutive arena runs while having to pick classes they didn't play yet, if that's possible). These tries are great for watching, too, although they are less focused.

PS: It's Ratsmah.

PPS: The arena spreadsheet I was talking about (it's in the sidebar of /r/arenahs/):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ttLHoFO3KEMG6In6XS1okzmx4/edit#gid=1595896034

Agraavan

I wouldn't know because I really only watch them live on twitch. Having said that, I think any 12 runs is a good start to see a plethora of games and their thought process.

Tarazet

I'm going to use this last season to experience Oil Rogue one last time. I have a full optimized deck with Thalnos, Van Cleef and Boom, but I'm not that great at the deck. Who would be good to watch while Hearthstone is down for the morning?

ViviOggi

I'm going to use this last season to experience Oil Rogue one last time. I have a full optimized deck with Thalnos, Van Cleef and Boom, but I'm not that great at the deck. Who would be good to watch while Hearthstone is down for the morning?

Dog, MrYagut, Lifecoach (probably VODs as I think they all switched to Miracle)

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't understand how you want the game to move from dropping value stuff on curve every turn like Secret Paladin and then you complain about ironbeak owl, one of the few viable tech cards in the game that doesn't even make it into those kinds of decks most of the time.

I don't know, I just miss the days when every card wasn't so much damn value. Shield Mini bot, Muster, Shredder, MC, Boom, Tirion, KJ + Implosion/Muster/Hounds/deathrattle minions, it's just who can hit the board first, with very little back and forth, mostly just I'm winning, I'm winning more, and I'm winning so much more you might as well quit the match. I think the game needs more unique defensive cards that get you back in the game without being able to be outplayed for less mana. Belcher helped, but with owls was sometimes easily ignored (or just a simple power overwhelming/etc) and its removal in standard will leave a big hole as well.

I just in some ways, the game was more fun when we just had Yetis and the 3/2 +1/+1 minions as the power plays and maybe Flamestrike, which sadly has now become too weak to Paladin's arena armada. Sure, there was stuff like FoN and charge molten giants and other issues, but some were fixed somewhat promptly while others still remain, with the hint of an upcoming fix. Though if FoN isn't fixed in the new standard, I imagine a large number of people will be ready to quit. Of course Blizzard's way of fixing cards usually involves around making them never being played again, so I half expect FoN to summon two 1/1 taunt minions for 8 mana after the balance lol.

chiliboy

If it wasn't for dailies and rank 5 rewards I wouldn't have played a single game of constructed in at least the last two months

I only watch those on Twitch but I want to add ADWCTA/Merps on YT to that list. Just check out the most recent coops and you're good. They also regularly feature other arena streamers, the ones with Hafu and Shadybunny are top notch.

I was doing it like this:

1. Spend 150 gold to buy an arena run.
2. Select the class. Do nothing else (might compose the deck now, might later, your choice).
3. Go to, say, Adwcta's channel and select the most recent playlist with the arena run for that class. Watch it through in its entirety.
4. Do my own run with the class.

Lately, the arena streamers are trying to do the 100 in 10 challenge (get 100 wins from 10 consecutive arena runs while having to pick classes they didn't play yet, if that's possible). These tries are great for watching, too, although they are less focused.

PS: It's Ratsmah.

PPS: The arena spreadsheet I was talking about (it's in the sidebar of /r/arenahs/):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ttLHoFO3KEMG6In6XS1okzmx4/edit#gid=1595896034

Well this is more than I hoped for :D I have a lot to do/watch when I get home from work! Thanks gaf!

Freeze Mage. At rank 20.

1knPYXe.jpg

You can tell it's a new season...

Levi

Banned
Got a second Golden Spellslinger and a Golden Feral Spirits in my reward chest (only hit 13 last season, I mostly just did arena because ranked is super boring atm).

Everyone's asking for nerfs and deckslots, and I just want to use my golden cards in arena.

peakish

I guess a good thing about slumming it in the lower ranks (I topped out at 15 last season) is that most players have pretty low value decks, which aren't super optimised. Some exceptions aside.

I guess a good thing about slumming it in the lower ranks (I topped out at 15 last season) is that most players have pretty low value decks, which aren't super optimised. Some exceptions aside.
Really? I feel like 15-20 is so much harder than 15-10 honesty for the most part. Too many farmers at low levels, mid range seems more relaxed since people aren't worried about bottoming out or something

Why would a Druid silence my Huge Toad with Keeper instead of killing it? Lmao those plays man.

Recently, while playing on a long ride, our car hit a bump as I was choosing my minion for blessing of kings and I blessed the enemy minion. Conceded right afterwards as he taunted Thank you. It happens sometimes.

Anyway, 40 more wins until golden Paladin. Soldiering on before standard hits.

Pooya

just finished another 12 win arena run after the paladin one above, this time with rogue. It was harder this time and I won with top decks once. it was 12-2

1456847243-2.jpg

1456847227-1.jpg

Dark Iron Skulker is absolutely ridiculous in arena LOL.

One of the losses was to some stupid mage deck with polymorph boar and echo out of conjurers, like wow. I got hit with two flamestrikes too before that. There was little chance of winning that game.

The other one was against a warrior, this one I absolutely threw the game with lethal miscounting (one off) and got really punished after it.

Some of the games I was losing, it was hard to keep up with against value heavy decks with a tempo deck like this, I just went ham and all face, it worked.

Overall in rogue, drafting heals looks like to be very important. Those farseers did a lot of work. it's just like constructed I guess! My packs all sucked unfortunately.

I had not played much arena in some time, I'm surprised I'm getting pretty good results. Maybe EU is easy? I usually got 5-6 wins in US. That was before LoE. I did the drafts myself too, didn't even check against heartharena. It's really obvious what's good and what's not, I can tell better what makes sense in a deck better than a machine.

Dahbomb

Dark Iron Skulker is an excellent card in general and I wouldn't be surprised to see it used quite a bit in standard once all the sticky minions are gone.

Pooya

EU easy lol, you're simply getting one absurd draft after another

This one wasn't really as ridiculous as the paladin one, it was ok ish.

Rest of the deck that isn't visible on the pic:

Blackwing Corruptor. (I got it to work like two or three times with one dragon in the deck, other choices were rubbish.)

Dark Iron Skulker (MVP)

Spectral Knight (ok card)

Mogor's Champion (Has synergy with spellbreaker LOL, I won two games with this guy!)

Deck tops out a 6.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dark Iron Skulker is an excellent card in general and I wouldn't be surprised to see it used quite a bit in standard once all the sticky minions are gone.

Rogue needs to play a more minion focused game for that to happen. Won't happen as long as Blizz keeps leaning hard on the combo mechanic.

dareacher

Banned
ARGGGGHHHHHH got as close as 2 games from legendary.....my best month before was level 4 and got to 1 this time. Hopefully i can make it next month :( sob

accel

Seriously arena is a joke in terms of "skill", at least 50% of it comes from what cards you get offered. That's why that 100 in 10 challenge is so eye-roll worthy.

The 100 in 10 is like 99% luck (so: number of tries), that's for sure. But you can watch and make bets. :)

In terms of skill, I will say this: due to arena decks being drafted the way they are (RNG), the meta is very dry. This reduces the skill ceiling greatly. But since both you and your opponent are in the same position, that raises it back (much more so than in constructed unless we are talking about players who have all cards they want to have).

(I don't know what takes more skill, constructed or arenas. Arenas are definitely much drier, yes.)

ViviOggi

At the core both modes have the same issue: curve is the only god and you draft accordingly. Everyone drafts the most value minions for their midrange curve, and since Blizzard has printed so fucking many of those over the past two years the card pool now allows you to do that consistently - which means less potential synergies, fewer archetypes, less decision-making.

That being said arena still takes more skill than the joke that is constructed as there's more variety due to the random nature of drafting, but it used to be much more.

peakish

Really? I feel like 15-20 is so much harder than 15-10 honesty for the most part. Too many farmers at low levels, mid range seems more relaxed since people aren't worried about bottoming out or something
Didn't have much of an issue with it last season, but then again I mostly played at the end.

Dahbomb

With the advent of sites like Heartharena, it has become much easier to perform in Arena than it used to be. One of the main skill requirements for Arena is making the right selections for your deck. It's not always as simple as picking the best of 3.

Now you have Heartharena, deck trackers and stream sniping to inflate your arena win averages.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Not only that, I feel the number of people playing Arena has gone down a lot, so the average players playing it is a lot better.

With the advent of sites like Heartharena, it has become much easier to perform in Arena than it used to be. One of the main skill requirements for Arena is making the right selections for your deck. It's not always as simple as picking the best of 3.

Now you have Heartharena, deck trackers and stream sniping to inflate your arena win averages.
That doesn't inflate anything tho cos almost everyone who plays hs enough to play arena knows of those tools and uses them

Apathy

first day and everyone is going with some aggro bullshit to try and get up fast

I ...HATE....SECRETS

holy shit. there is no playing around them sometimes.

Dahbomb

That doesn't inflate anything tho cos almost everyone who plays hs enough to play arena knows of those tools and uses them
That's exactly my point. Because everyone uses it, that aspect of Arena is diminished skill wise. Your personal skill would be more accurately shown if you couldn't use those tools.

I can tell you a lot of new players would lose simply at the drafting phase. A year ago you would commonly see people draft stuff like Golshire Footman in the early win bracket. That doesn't happen any ore because people use Heartharena. A playee new to the game can use the tools to win over experienced players.

Top Bottom