• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Owzers

Ran into two Reno decks already today :( is there a defense against Reno?

1) Hope they don't have reno

2) conserve your cards and damage dealing, control the board, save up for burst damage.

3) Don't let them keep a minion on board they could shadowflame a board clear with if possible.

I usually lose if they have reno :p I played one as a combo druid today , they didn't have reno and i won.

Tarazet

Reno decks are all about stall and removal. It's pretty bullshit that they make you go through all that work, play one card and then undo it all. Assume he is probably in their hand and maintain board control. They can play Reno or they can clear your board, but they can't do both.

Don't go all in for damage if you suspect they're running a Reno deck, Reno doesn't do much if you have board control and still have some threats in your hand. Most games I lost vs Reno were the ones in which I didn't account for it.

Basically, make their Reno be as shitty as possible or have a lot of damage in hand for a surprise lethal. Both are easier said than done.

ricelord

after 2 months i'm forced to play ranked to get to rank 20 for my card back.

edit and done lol, i feel bad for the new players i beat down.

Apathy

No, they're probably not even announcing the expansion until next week and it's launching alongside Standard.

Earliest I can see Standard coming is in about three weeks.

This week or next is the media event. Either at the same time or a bit after well get the Indy they got (as to give them time to do write up). So I could see them going till the last week of March or first of April for a release. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if, because it's such a big change to the ladder, that they start it off fresh on a new season.

Danj

1) Hope they don't have reno

2) conserve your cards and damage dealing, control the board, save up for burst damage.

3) Don't let them keep a minion on board they could shadowflame a board clear with if possible.

I usually lose if they have reno :p I played one as a combo druid today , they didn't have reno and i won.

Alexstrazsa is almost as bad, some bastard just owned me with it, he was nearly dead, then Alex came out and now he's got 15hp and an 8/8 on the board and I lose.

Alexstrazsa is almost as bad, some bastard just owned me with it, he was nearly dead, then Alex came out and now he's got 15hp and an 8/8 on the board and I lose.

Supposedly Alex is one of the cards getting the nerf bat when Standard hits. Judging by their past nerfs, she might be unplayable when they're done. They really need to start releasing some information, though. They announced the announcement way too early. We've been waiting for more details for like a month now.

ViviOggi

That didn't just happen by chance mate, your opponent likely controlled the board just enough to make sure they won't die and get a relatively clean Alex down next turn. It's not like you can't see it coming, only Freeze Mage, Warrior and some super niche versions of Warlock play that card.

Cat Party

No, they're probably not even announcing the expansion until next week and it's launching alongside Standard.

Earliest I can see Standard coming is in about three weeks.
I was thinking they'd give us standard for a few weeks before the expansion hits. Let us try out the new meta before adding new cards.

Fireblend

Banned
That new cardback looks so good btw. I feel like we've been getting pretty great-looking cardbacks lately. I've been mostly sticking with the heroic LoE one though.

ViviOggi

I was thinking they'd give us standard for a few weeks before the expansion hits. Let us try out the new meta before adding new cards.

I mean that wouldn't be the new meta, it'd be an entirely different one from the following post-expansion meta. They'd basically admit to their game having become so terrible that simply taking away most of the cards improves it tenfold. It'd really spell out what kind of absurd shit they printed in the past expansions, more so than releasing it together with a new big set to shake things up.

fuzzyset

That's exactly my point. Because everyone uses it, that aspect of Arena is diminished skill wise. Your personal skill would be more accurately shown if you couldn't use those tools.

I can tell you a lot of new players would lose simply at the drafting phase. A year ago you would commonly see people draft stuff like Golshire Footman in the early win bracket. That doesn't happen any ore because people use Heartharena. A playee new to the game can use the tools to win over experienced players.

I saw comments like this on Reddit the other day. I've taken over a year break from HS and that stuff existed back then too. It was literally one of the first things I learned about when getting into the game last winter: go to IcyVeins (or where ever) to pick cards.

ViviOggi

I saw comments like this on Reddit the other day. I've taken over a year break from HS and that stuff existed back then too. It was literally one of the first things I learned about when getting into the game last winter: go to IcyVeins (or where ever) to pick cards.
Sure there were multiple drafting tools like Arenavalue etc. but they weren't even remotely close to Heartharena's complex algorithm. Just random tier lists in a more digestible form.

Apathy

wow fuck this game, 15 cards 3 or less, and none in my initial opening hand and none in my mulligan and none for 5 turns. what the fuck. That alone cost me the game, I couldn't do shit.

And what a surprise, the next game, a 0, 1, 1, 2 and my first card out was a 1 followed by a 3. Always

wow fuck this game, 15 cards 3 or less, and none in my initial opening hand and none in my mulligan and none for 5 turns. what the fuck. That alone cost me the game, I couldn't do shit.

And what a surprise, the next game, a 0, 1, 1, 2 and my first card out was a 1 followed by a 3. Always

Tell me about it, today I either got both my innervates one after another or neither of them at all. To be fair I was asking for it since I was playing Druid.

Fireblend

Banned
Confirmation bias and negative variance can conspire to make a game hell, yes.

Like when my mulligan/first 3 Tempo Mage turns pass by without a single minion despite me having at least 6 perfectly viable 1-2 drops.

There's only so much removal I can waste during the early game.

Dahbomb

These drafting clients have gotten way more sophisticated over time. It used to be just card tier lists arranged in a spreadsheets, nowadays you in out your cards one by one and it gives you the best cards based on your deck requirements. Heartharena also improves with the meta which is something that other sites don't do. Heartharena even accounts for Arena meta for you as and also fills the holes in your deck. Other tools come no where close to this which is why it's the most used Arena tool.

When people used to use those spreadsheets you still played against unoptimized decks because they would usually lack the appropriate number or 2 drops.

Apathy

Confirmation bias and negative variance can conspire to make a game hell, yes.

Like when my mulligan/first 3 Tempo Mage turns pass by without a single minion despite me having at least 6 perfectly viable 1-2 drops.

There's only so much removal I can waste during the early game.

I would make a guess it happens way more than would be covered by confirmation bias. If I kept proper tracking of games where I needed certain cards to even win (not just survive ultimately to lose but actually would have won me the game) then to see it show up in the following games opening hand (not in the mulligan), I wouldn't be surprised if the results were skewed to it not being confirmation bias. It happens much too often from just paper scratch keeping track that I've been doing for the last little bit.

ViviOggi

I would make a guess it happens way more than would be covered by confirmation bias. If I kept proper tracking of games where I needed certain cards to even win (not just survive ultimately to lose but actually would have won me the game) then to see it show up in the following games opening hand (not in the mulligan), I wouldn't be surprised if the results were skewed to it not being confirmation bias. It happens much too often from just paper scratch keeping track that I've been doing for the last little bit.
Have you seen Blizzard's AI, no way in hell could they figure out which card you'd need in a specific situation. If they had that kind of tech their AI would have gone full HAL and prevented them from releasing Naxx.

It's either confirmation bias or Ben Brode teasing you.

Higgy

Got a golden enhance-o-mechano. Yippee.

I love that card, Waited to long to craft it because it's made my Mech Lock so much more competitive. Love Fel Cannons's reeking havoc, Enhanco-o setting up a finish, and pulling Mimiron's Head from Gorilla Bot. Having so much fun playing it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck this shit

pT4lPEv.jpg

Tacitus_

Elise vs Elise priest gets kinda crazy at the lategame. He managed to get Stalagg + Feugen dead with Deathwing.

Too bad that I still had my 2nd Lightbomb in hand. I was so badly behind before that and after it, I managed to win pretty comfortably. Getting Tirion and Nexus Prince out of my Monkey helped.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Elise vs Elise priest gets kinda crazy at the lategame. He managed to get Stalagg + Feugen dead with Deathwing.

Too bad that I still had my 2nd Lightbomb in hand. I was so badly behind before that and after it, I managed to win pretty comfortably. Getting Tirion and Nexus Prince out of my Monkey helped.

That situation is one of the most fun I have ever been in. Monkey Warrior vs Monkey Priest and both of us are just slamming legenaries every turn to see who can kill who's stuff better. Golden Monkey is such a fun card when it works.

Sadly that Priest deck is getting eviscerated (no pun intended) in standard. No Lightbomb, no Velen's, no Deathlord, no good deathrattles for Curator, no Sludge Belcher, the list goes on. That deck will be a hollow remant of what it was after standard. I can only hope they print some good priest buffs and removals in the new set or that class is SO FUCKED.

Aylinato

Lol playing my elise deck, and shes the last one in the deck two games in a row. This last one she was there with 2 excavated evils me and the other guy were passing back and forth. That guy must have been wondering what kind of deck I was running the whole game.

Did you face me??

Apathy

Why are you guys playing Elise Priest when Warrior exists?

I don't have enough cards for warrior to make that work, whereas my priest one I do. Also, there's a special kind of glee I get from stealing minions and using them against my opponent.

sad realization that without deathlord or sludge belcher, face decks are going to be all over ladder and making more people having to play them to even climb

ViviOggi

Lack of cards is a bummer, particularly Shield Slam being an epic has always been dumb since it's such a key card. You don't need Grom though, I've been running some Sjow list and I don't think it contains any legendaries besides Elise.

Rogue least played class that's just gross

Apathy

Lack of cards is a bummer, particularly Shield Slam being an epic has always been dumb since it's such a key card. You don't need Grom though, I've been running some Sjow list and I don't think it contains any legendaries besides Elise.

Even my Elise priest only runs Elise and Harrison, it's the lack of important spells that is the issue with my warrior cards (and many others I would imagine).

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Early on I didn't really understand the usefulness of their hero power and just stayed away from the class. Helps that I didn't get any Preps for a long time too. Now that I get it, and could use them more, I don't simply because I'm closer to golden portraits with the others and so very from them with Rogue/Warrior/Shaman. I also don't typically play tons of games per season so makes sense to focus. It helps that Mage/Druid/Pally have typically been powerful ladder classes.

Rockyrock

I was in the middle of an arena and then took a break to go eat dinner, but I left my game running.

It closed due to inactivity but now I can't get back on without it kicking me.

Ive done everything but restart my laptop. Anyone know a fix??

EDIT: NVM seems to be a known issue Blizz is trying to fix

Tarazet

Paladin is mine.. highest ranked wins Warrior with 150, but he is level 60.. I used to wreck kids in casual a lot when the ranked rewards were shit.

Apathy

I will not shed a single tear when they nerf all these OP as fuck cards. Alex should not do 15 damage in any way. You can go from winning convincingly to dead cause of 1 lucky card.

Top Bottom