• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

I personally would get Naxx, the single player content is pretty good and you only have to buy the first wing and then unlock/play through it at your own pace. 700 gold isn't that hard to get.

Buying Naxx is worth it because for 700 gold you have a legendary some epics and rares on each wing, more dust value that the average 7 packs.

Oh really? I was gonna drop some google play credit I had on it, reluctantly. I have 700 gold already :D.

THANKS!

Dahbomb

I would add additional ranks but also make it so people fall fewer ranks. So maybe 30 ranks instead of 25, and then people fall a tier below where they finished. So like people who finish in Legend fall to rank 5, people in 1-5 fall to rank 10, etc. And honestly maybe let the seasons be longer. I don't know if I will ever hit legend, because it is a brutal grind every month. I play somewhat casually and do my quests in Ranked, and I usually fall around Rank 8 at the end of a season unless I start playing like a tryhard to actually get ranks.
This here. There needs to be more stratification of ranks after each season. At start of season I get pushed down to like rank 16, I don't play rank for a few days and after I do I go up against people who are very obviously relatively new at the game and they get stomped.

manhack

Mana efficiency? Aren't you supposed to try and make sure you end up with as little (or no) mana left over on a turn?

Usually, but buff spells and minions are are an example where you will not usually want to use them without benefit. You can occasionally get away with a tempo abusive sergeant or BoK on an empty board, but you should always expect the opponent will remove whatever you play. The biggest benefit of a buff is that it allows you to make favorable trades and you give up that advantage when throwing it down.

Fireblend

Banned
Mana efficiency? Aren't you supposed to try and make sure you end up with as little (or no) mana left over on a turn?

There are very few absolute rules in the game. In that scenario that play gave you very little value for 1 mana. Making a subpar play just to spend all your mana makes very little sense. It's the equivalent of playing Arcane Missiles as a mage with no enemy minions only because you have the 1 mana. Have you watched this? I'd recommend watching the whole playlist, it's super useful.

manhack

Awesome to see everyone coaching in here!

I think it may be a good reminder to folks that the game isn't all RNG and legendaries when it comes to climbing the ladder. Things start to get a little tougher when you hit Rank 5, but really anyone can get there with a month or 2 of play time and some well thought out deck selections.

For example, on my F2P account, I completely dominate ranks 20-10 with my zoo deck that tops out at Doomguard and Loatheb with no boom (even though I have boom) and no peddler. I used gold to get Loatheb and Imp Gang Boss.

While climbing people make so many mistakes at lower ranks that super efficient decks like zoo are just too good. Also many people are playing unoptimized versions of lower tier decks. Mech mage is super popular and low ranks and they are usually bad versions of the deck. Zoo players at low ranks tend to push face damage against my board and I flip the tables on them with a huge tempo swing play (saving PO and abusive sergeants with Void Terror)

Danj

There are very few absolute rules in the game. In that scenario that play gave you very little value for 1 mana. Making a subpar play just to spend all your mana makes very little sense. It's the equivalent of playing Arcane Missiles as a mage with no enemy minions only because you have the 1 mana. Have you watched this? I'd recommend watching the whole playlist, it's super useful.

Yep, watched all those.

Even with the improved mulliganing I'm still seeing the same difficulty trying to get past rank 15.

Awesome to see everyone coaching in here!

I think it may be a good reminder to folks that the game isn't all RNG and legendaries when it comes to climbing the ladder. Things start to get a little tougher when you hit Rank 5, but really anyone can get there with a month or 2 of play time and some well thought out deck selections.

What? No. No they can't. I've been playing nearly a year now, I've spent real money on all the adventures, I've bought hundreds of packs with gold, most of the cards are duplicates nowadays, and the highest I have ever been is rank 12. Which I achieved this month.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Old Murk-Eye and Captain's Parrot (everyone's favorite shredder pilot) are being sent out to pasture: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1202-reward-promo-set-cards-restricted-to-wild-format

Will Reward set cards such as Gelbin Mekkatorque and Old Murk-Eye be part of Wild or Standard format?
All current Reward set cards, including Promo cards, will be restricted to Wild format.

When Standard format arrives, the Captain’s Parrot and Old Murk-Eye cards won’t be given for collecting their associated classic cards, but can instead be crafted (and disenchanted).

Acquiring the Promo cards Gelbin Mekkatorque and Elite Tauren Chieftain remains unchanged: the normal versions of these cards can still be crafted or disenchanted, while the golden versions were acquired via special events and cannot be disenchanted or crafted.

The same is true of ETC and Mekkatorque.

Yep, watched all those.

Even with the improved mulliganing I'm still seeing the same difficulty trying to get past rank 15.
One thing that can help is watching a high end streamer play whatever deck it is you hope to succeed with, preferably on YouTube. Before they play each turn, pause the video, think what you would do, and then resume and see if they do the same thing. If they didn't, think about why they did something differently. A lot of best streamers will explain their plays, so that can be helpful.

You might be overextending into specific cards when it's fine to even do something like wasting five mana while hero powering with a control deck, but those situations are hard to tell until you've seen them presented quite a few times.

peakish

Wow, people sure are no bullshit tonight. Almost no replies whatsoever to any greeting or emote over ten games. Ladder is serious business I guess.

Fireblend

Banned
What? No. No they can't. I've been playing nearly a year now, I've spent real money on all the adventures, I've bought hundreds of packs with gold, most of the cards are duplicates nowadays, and the highest I have ever been is rank 12. Which I achieved this month.

Maybe take a break for a while. As I said before, you sound frustrated and that's probably preventing you from playing well, which only further frustrates you. Just like it's possible to get legend as a F2P (several players have demonstrated this), you shouldn't feel entitled to legend or any rank in particular just because you've spent any amount of money or time on the game.

And it does sound like maybe you need to change the way you're playing; some of your thoughts here sound like what someone new to the game would say re: mulligans and mana efficiency, there's a lot of "conventional wisdom" involved in approaching match ups and the decks you play, so there's always room for improvement beyond having the best cards at your disposal.

manhack

What? No. No they can't.

Hmm, maybe I'm exaggerating what a totally new player can do, but this guy was able to get to legend in 9 days with a F2P deck.

https://us.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/48665w/polish_streamer_mkrr3_just_hit_legend_with_f2p/

Most people don't have the time or stamina to achieve something like this, but still it is possible.

Another bit of advice that helped me is similar to what you are doing and that is have people spectate your games and give commentary. By watching others and getting feedback you will improve dramatically. Even pro-players make huge mistakes all the time.

Danj

Maybe take a break for a while. As I said before, you sound frustrated and that's probably preventing you from playing well, which only further frustrates you. Just like it's possible to get legend as a F2P (several players have demonstrated this), you shouldn't feel entitled to legend or any rank in particular just because you've spent any amount of money or time on the game.

No, you're missing the point. I understand that the game is not set up so that paying money gets you better win rates or whatever. I get that. I paid money for the adventures because at the time it was literally impossible to be competitive at all without them, because everybody was using the cards that came from them.

Also, it really pisses me off when people breeze in here and say "oh yeah you can be super godlike at this game in 2 months easy" when it's patently NOT. TRUE. I am the counterexample that disproves that rule.

And it does sound like maybe you need to change the way you're playing; some of your thoughts here sound like what someone new to the game would say re: mulligans and mana efficiency, there's a lot of "conventional wisdom" involved in approaching match ups and the decks you play, so there's always room for improvement beyond having the best cards at your disposal.

I understand that there is something I am doing wrong (other than the mulligan thing, which I have now corrected now that I get it). But I'm having trouble figuring out what that is.

peakish

I typically ignore people or squelch. The BM meta is too strong these days.
Sure, just more apparent tonight than I usually see. Might be a small sample size, ofc.

Edit: Going to ping my thoughts on my current deck if anyone wants to give me some feedback on it. I already did the Holy Nova -> Shadow Madness and 1 Yeti -> Holy Champion switches, although they don't feel very solid from the matches I've tried tonight. Again, small sample size (and lots of opponents who obviously belong in ranks way above me) so not sure if I can draw any solid conclusions from it yet. The problem as I see it is that the Champion is immediately targeted when dropped and doesn't get a lot done. Then again, that still acts as a taunt which isn't all bad, and if it lives a turn then things will happen.

Any good ways to improve my deck? I've been making mostly minor modifications to it over the last month since it's sort-of good enough (and I don't play every day), so I'm not quite sure what to do with it right now on my budget.

http://abload.de/img/priest1.1niz3l.png

• It doesn't feel very focused, mostly aiming for Control + Elise as the win condition and I like that playstyle. I love the Auchenai but only have one and no cards which I can burst with (Circle makes it a board clear) so it's more of a control play than anything else. I think that could be better.
  • Blood Knight seems very situational but it's fun to punish divine shields since I hate them. Doesn't happen too often though so I'm not sure of it's real value.
  • I recently switched one Holy Nova for an Excavated to deal with Patron matchups, giving me a second out along the Auchenai Circle. Not sure if the second Holy Nova is worth keeping at all since it rarely does a lot for me. It could combo with adding a Holy Champion, but that seems very situational to me. Switch for a second Circle, EE or some other spell?
  • Minion/Spell balance feels good to me. I could use some stronger minions though. What would be better trades for Juggler and Yeti as 2/4 drops? The juggler is only in since it's the best 3/2 drop I have and the Yeti is just solid and rarely disappoints, but I could do with switching one. Shattered Sun could probably go, too, if I can find a replacement buff.
  • No legendaries outside of Nozdormu and Bloodmage Thalnos. I'd like to get rid of the Ooze's at one point by getting Harrison Jones, not sure if that should be a focus though since Justicar seems like the better priority.

Edit: Maybe I should get a Cabal Priest. Trade the Darkscale Healer for it? Holy Nova or Pain could be switched for Shadow Madness although I still use Pain quite a bit (partly because I feel my minions are pretty weak against low-attack-high-health minions). I think that could improve my board control a bit although the Shrinkmeister removal (not that I have one) will make the Cabal less powerful.

Edit 2: Maybe I could switch an Ogre for a Khaldir Raider, since I use my hero power a lot? Would make it a 7 drop, though, and one that still comes with less health. I had one in the deck a month ago and at that point the deck felt very swingy so I'm not sure of it's value.

manhack

Also, it really pisses me off when people breeze in here and say "oh yeah you can be super godlike at this game in 2 months easy" when it's patently NOT. TRUE. I am the counterexample that disproves that rule.

Sorry about that, my intent was to be encouraging with that point, but I can see how it could be frustrating.

There are just so many factors to ladder climbing that it can be hard to pinpoint what is causing people to get "stuck" somewhere. Hell as easy as I made it sound there are times where I get absolutely bogged down at certain ranks or have huge setbacks.

For example I hit rank 2 within 3 days of the ladder reset on month and spent the rest of the month at Rank 5 because I was frustrated with the up, down, up, down nature of the ladder climb and just played random decks.

or like the last day I've gone on a winstreak from rank 6 to rank 4 with mech rogue and hybrid hunter. The game is just dumb sometimes.

Tacitus_

u wot m8

ORgkV6b.jpg

E: yup, reno deck

Sorry about that, my intent was to be encouraging with that point, but I can see how it could be frustrating.

There are just so many factors to ladder climbing that it can be hard to pinpoint what is causing people to get "stuck" somewhere. Hell as easy as I made it sound there are times where I get absolutely bogged down at certain ranks or have huge setbacks.

For example I hit rank 2 within 3 days of the ladder reset on month and spent the rest of the month at Rank 5 because I was frustrated with the up, down, up, down nature of the ladder climb and just played random decks.

or like the last day I've gone on a winstreak from rank 6 to rank 4 with mech rogue and hybrid hunter. The game is just dumb sometimes.

The worst is when you tilt at rank 1 down to wtf why am i even playing this game anymore?

Sometime it just come down to fucking rng man. Nature of thr game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What about March. Do you honestly expect Standard to hit before April
LCnCRPK.gif

I think it is very likely that we get the expansion in March. Blizzard seems very interested in releasing expansions very soon after their announcements these days.

Fireblend

Banned
I want it to be second half of March but I'm starting to think we'll be lucky if Standard launches in time for April's season...

Something tells me they're still fine-tuning nerfs/standard and they might have announced their move a bit prematurely.

manhack

Sure, just more apparent tonight than I usually see. Might be a small sample size, ofc.

Edit: Going to ping my thoughts on my current deck if anyone wants to give me some feedback on it.

I'm comparing to my F2P priest decks and here is what I think (quick and very messy thoughts):

Cards to trade out with my recommendations soon as you can:
Darkscale Healer
Boulderfist Ogre
Shatter Sun Cleric
Blood Knight
Knife Juggler
Spider Tank
2 oozes is too many.

Replace with or add:

Wild Pyromancers
Piloted Shredder
Shadow Madness
Velen's Chosen
Dr. Boom
Big Game Hunter for 1 SWD
Mind control for 1 entomb
Injured Blademaster
Dark Cultist
Cabal Shadow Priest.

ZealousD

I want it to be second half of March but I'm starting to think we'll be lucky if Standard launches in time for April's season...

Something tells me they're still fine-tuning nerfs/standard and they might have announced their move a bit prematurely.

Blizzard takes about 4 months to do an expansion, and that is very in-line with a March release. April would make it the biggest gap in the game's history.

Plus we know for certain that Blizzard has an event planned for March 9th. We certainly won't be waiting until May.

Blizzard seems to be embracing the whole shorter window between announcement and release thing so the latter half of March seems fairly likely.

First week of April at the latest.

Fireblend

Banned
Blizzard takes about 4 months to do an expansion, and that is very in-line with a March release. April would make it the biggest gap in the game's history.

Plus we know for certain that Blizzard has an event planned for March 9th. We certainly won't be waiting until May.

Yeah I'm aware of the event and I don't have any reason to think it's the expansion that's setting them back. I guess I'm just cautiously optimistic considering they're planning to launch Standard/the classic nerfs/the new expansion all at the same time or at least very close to each other.

I'm really starved for news though, can't wait to see some new cards and most of all start playing Standard. I wonder if they're planning to introduce some new mechanic like for the last expansions or if they are going to introduce more discover/inspire/joust (pls no) stuff. I don't want discover to go away T_T

peakish

I'm comparing to my F2P priest decks and here is what I think (quick and very messy thoughts):

Cards to trade out with my recommendations soon as you can:
Darkscale Healer
Boulderfist Ogre
Shatter Sun Cleric
Blood Knight
Knife Juggler
Spider Tank
2 oozes is too many.

Replace with or add:

Wild Pyromancers
Piloted Shredder
Shadow Madness
Velen's Chosen
Dr. Boom
Big Game Hunter for 1 SWD
Mind control for 1 entomb
Injured Blademaster
Dark Cultist
Cabal Shadow Priest.
Thanks! Just now realized that I actually have a BGH and never thought of it as a perfect switch for one Death. Not going to get any GvG stuff, but one Blademaster seems great. I've been hesitant to craft stuff before having a plan.

A couple of these changes should be good enough for me until the expansion hits and I can draw up some more long term plans.

Portugeezer

The worst is when you tilt at rank 1 down to wtf why am i even playing this game anymore?

Sometime it just come down to fucking rng man. Nature of thr game.

Of course, RNG will always play a role.

In theory you could just get the perfect hand to beat whatever opponent you're up against, but it averages out and the better players will usually do better overall due to their overall knowledge/reading of the game, just like in Poker.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
fuck these fucking paladins topdecking consecrate on turn 4

Well Met indeed. The turn 4 top deck from a Pally will be with us forever since Blizzard doesn't seem to want to change the Classic/Basic cards too much.

4 Mana seems to be a "big spell" number for most of the classes, though. Consecrate, Swipe, Fireball (Shadow Madness lol?) all show up at 4 so it seems everyone will be getting topdeck'd on turn 4 for the foreseeable future.

Apathy

How would you guys improve ladder so that players were better distributed across ranks? Right now I feel like Rank 20 - 15 is too newbie-unfriendly.

Would you make it so players can't fall more than ~3-5 ranks below their highest-achieved during a season?

Maybe make rewards be for the last rank you placed in rather than the best overall so people are incentivized to stay at high ranks?

I've had two ideas that I have brought up already.

1. One way gates at different intervals. Right now you from 20-25 you can't drop ranks and that's cool. The problem is that the people that want their gold hero portraits get the rank they want for the month and then keep tanking their rank to farm new people. There needs to be more one way gates going up the ladder, that way people need to make a choice of do they want the rewards or not. This also allows for the rewards to get much better higher up the ladder for more incentives.

2. There can be a calculation done on the value of a person's complete collection (total ever earned and current), and have people even at the lower ranks be matched against people with similar ranking of collection. This makes it so that people can't just disenchant all their cards they don't or aren't using to try and mask their total collection rank.

Either one of those solves the problem.

Tacitus_

Well Met indeed. The turn 4 top deck from a Pally will be with us forever since Blizzard doesn't seem to want to change the Classic/Basic cards too much.

4 Mana seems to be a "big spell" number for most of the classes, though. Consecrate, Swipe, Fireball (Shadow Madness lol?) all show up at 4 so it seems everyone will be getting topdeck'd on turn 4 for the foreseeable future.

And followed by turn 6 MC after I managed to clear their board and start building mine. Bah.

bunbun777

I know a few folks here don't appreciate gold cards but i have this all gold priest deck that is somewhere between dragon and control, not the most competitive but a lot of fun with two entombs, 1 thoughtsteal and Elise. Was just playing a rogue trading back and forth until turn 8 when I thoughstole his golden monkey and laid it down on turn 9. All those random beautiful legendaries (2 Loethebs, Harrison Jones, Nozdormu, Sky Cap'n, Ragnaros) and unfortunately they didn't want to play anymore and conceded but it was fun while it lasted.

Heropon

Thanks to this month's reward giving me golden Blizzard I feel better for not going to rank 5 this time. The two times I did it I got crappy epics and it felt like a wasted effort as I haven't dusted them.

ZealousD

2 out of 3 are gvg cards, really game?

This would be up there with "omg I got less gold than expected at 12 wins in arena" as the kind of complaining that bugs me. It was only like 6-8 months ago that ranked rewards were even implemented, and you are already taking them for granted?

You are gonna get all sorts of gold cards that will eventually become useless down the line from ranked rewards, best get used to it.

So I ended on Ogre Magi rank, but I got higher than that during season, why does it say I get "Ogre Magi's stash"? Fuck you Blizz.

Because the chest only changes name every 5 ranks. Ranks 6-10 are all Ogre Magi's Stash and the only thing that changes is you get more dust, 5 more for each rank.

fertygo

I reached rank 13 before but now I slid back again to 17 and struggling lol

but I'm playing Aggro hunter that not bother with 1 drop so this to be expected.

Pooya

This would be up there with "omg I got less gold than expected at 12 wins in arena" as the kind of complaining that bugs me. It was only like 6-8 months ago that ranked rewards were even implemented, and you are already taking them for granted?

You are gonna get all sorts of gold cards that will eventually become useless down the line from ranked rewards, best get used to it.

Well, if there were no rewards I wouldn't have played ladder at all in this awful meta, Blizzard gotta pay people to play this game :b

fertygo

no leper gnomes? WTF

This is the fucking thing, I DE those way back then and never get it again from Classic, I refuse use my dust for them.. man, friggin stupid.

Now Blizzard punish me with give me Lightspawn in every pack, instead the MVP Leper Gnome :(

Leper also the only 1 drop minions that can boost my deck, so I'm fucked.

I hit the dizzy heights of 17, and got a golden Frost Elemental for my (lack of) effort.

I might try to get higher this month, but I'm not sure if my blood pressure can take it...

manhack

OK gonna call it for the season: made it to Rank 4 with a combination or Reno Rogue, mech rogue, and raptor rogue. Completed some hunter, mage and priest quests here and there.

463 wins on Rogue. I will work on finishing the golden portrait this week and then I'll be done. woot.

Apathy

fuck piloted shredder, what does it give me? shit, what does it give my opponents, oh just the best possible drops available.

Top Bottom