• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Fireblend

Banned
It occurred to me since I've never played a single Warcraft game I'd read up on the games' story/lore to not be out of the loop regarding the old gods thing, so I've spent the past couple of hours reading the Warcraft wiki pages.

And it makes no sense. I give up, I fear if I was to understand it I'd actually end up disliking Hearthstone.

Apathy

It occurred to me since I've never played a single Warcraft game I'd read up on the games' story/lore to not be out of the loop regarding the old gods thing, so I've spent the past couple of hours reading the Warcraft wiki pages.

And it makes no sense. I give up, I fear if I was to understand it I'd actually end up disliking Hearthstone.

10 years of wow and been playing Warcraft since the first one. I love the lore aspect of it (at least the older stuff, wod was pretty bad) and while hs takes characters from that universe, it does so very comically, and knows not to take itself seriously. I don't think it would make you dislike it. Although it might make you know things that have zero relevance in hs. for example, do you need to know what a farseer in Warcraft is? Not really, doesn't affect you here. The fact that hs is making their own lore now as well, you could keep them separate if you wish

manhack

Yeah there is a very big chance that, even if the expansion is Old Gods, they will create a bunch of new story and characters around the existing lore to make it more "Hearthstoney"

manhack

Looking at my matches this month (rank 11 so far) I could argue this is the most diverse and "non-aggro" the meta has been in a long long time. I think in 50 games I have been up against what would be called a "Face" deck.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Will you guys be my friends? AJ1#1920 on NA. Thanks!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is all this stuff about "the cards moving on the screen" an actual problem or just Reddit nonsense? Seeing that complaint a lot lately. I've been playing this game like 2 years and I have literally never accidentally selected the wrong card.

manhack

Is all this stuff about "the cards moving on the screen" an actual problem or just Reddit nonsense? Seeing that complaint a lot lately. I've been playing this game like 2 years and I have literally never accidentally selected the wrong card.

While playing Miracle Rogue it happens a lot. I've only had it cost me a game a few times though. Prep into another spell can be really annoying if you are on the rope.

jgminto

Been having fun with Reno/Monkey Warrior today, I've been able to lock out all the aggro Shaman and Paladin I've faced so far.

Happens all the time for me. It's annoying as fuck. I think it happens to me most on Druid/Rouge.

Ketch

Having a blast playing a rogue deathrattle deck. It is hilarious to watch control decks painstakingly deal with my minions just for more to keep spewing out onto the board.

I play a variation of this, but I put the oil combo in there with wobblin runts... it's not like reliable.. or good... but it's like a fun super violet teacher

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The amount of lore in the Warcraft universe is quite frankly, huge. Even just going through the lore of all the RTS games in the series would be a challenge, because each one of those games included manuals with like 15-20 pages of lore even before you got to the part where you started playing the games themselves. And of course World of Warcraft has blown up the amount of lore even further.

Tarazet

It is pretty bad when you have multiple card draws because the animations go wonky - stuff like Ancient of Lore, Battle Rage, Divine Favor. You have to wait for everything to settle before playing any more cards.

Following up on a post I made earlier.. Axe Flinger is legit in Patron. It just took realizing that he is actually an aggro card, unlike Shredder, so it was necessary to re-tune the deck a bit to capitalize on that and make sure the opponent is in a bad situation when the Patrons start hitting the board.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/442708-patron-flinger

manhack

It is pretty bad when you have multiple card draws because the animations go wonky - stuff like Ancient of Lore, Battle Rage, Divine Favor. You have to wait for everything to settle before playing any more cards.

Following up on a post I made earlier.. Axe Flinger is legit in Patron. It just took realizing that he is actually an aggro card, unlike Shredder, so it was necessary to re-tune the deck a bit to capitalize on that and make sure the opponent is in a bad situation when the Patrons start hitting the board.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/442708-patron-flinger

Axe Flinger is definitely amazing in patron. If it wasn't for shredder it would totally be my top choice. I played it a bunch and feel like it was worth playing every time. Even vs. priest I would just inner rage or task master to keep it out of Cabal range.

jgminto

Just Doomsayer'd a Paladin's full board containing Tirion, MC and two Shredders (one of which was buffed by Kings and both Avenges) with my own Loot Hoarder which topdecked me Alex for lethal next turn. Feels So Good.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I got to level 13 on my 2nd month of playing. How much more work is it to get into the sub 5 range?

Also, has anyone developed a set of notecards or anything to memorize important cards for each class? I'd make them if I had more time. I still don't know what each class/deck subtype might pull out on me at any given moment, which I think is holding back my game A LOT.

Portugeezer

Managed to make a semi-successful control monkey deck for Hunter, but man, these matches are loooooong... I may need to rethink this decision lmao.

I got to level 13 on my 2nd month of playing. How much more work is it to get into the sub 5 range?

Also, has anyone developed a set of notecards or anything to memorize important cards for each class? I'd make them if I had more time. I still don't know what each class/deck subtype might pull out on me at any given moment, which I think is holding back my game A LOT.

It's more about keeping playing and not having an abysmal deck. Due to the win streak system you should slowly climb, if you play a lot you have a better chance at getting streaks.

As for the notecards, I believe there is some deck tracking software which would also list things like what secrets a class could have, so you can know what kind of things to play around.

Danj

Thanks to some great coaching I received last night (thanks manhack!), I managed to reach Rank 15 this morning. But sadly I am still running into the same brick wall at that point as I always have before.

I don't understand why it is so consistent. What's so special about rank 15 that all the people at or above it either are better players or have better cards or both?

Every month, rank 15 is where I get stuck. Sometimes I manage a couple of ranks above it only to slip back down, but it's just so weird that it's the exact same point every month.

EDIT: or is it that the matchmaking algorithm changes at Rank 15 and above?

CJVaughn

Banned
I've been playing some Elise Control Warrior lately and countering all your opponents plays has been some of the most interactive fun I've had, with one wrong move probably doing you in. But, does anyone else feel scummy dragging a game out so long?

bjaelke

I've been playing some Elise Control Warrior lately and countering all your opponents plays has been some of the most interactive fun I've had, with one wrong move probably doing you in. But, does anyone else feel scummy dragging a game out so long?
Quite the opposite

ViviOggi

Nah, just because the standard match length has become 3 minutes doesn't mean it's scummy to play actual games. I wouldn't even entertain the thought for Elise CW, and even if you're playing hyper fatigue decks it's usually pretty clear when a game is decided, your opponent can always concede.

And yeah I love the deck too, even the original snoozefests vs Control Priest are a bit more exciting now. There's mindgames baiting out Entombs, Harrison and keep them from stealing your map/monkey until it goes into full crazy mode once the monkeys hit the board.

manhack

Thanks to some great coaching I received last night (thanks manhack!), I managed to reach Rank 15 this morning. But sadly I am still running into the same brick wall at that point as I always have before.

I don't understand why it is so consistent. What's so special about rank 15 that all the people at or above it either are better players or have better cards or both?

You're welcome!

At this point in the season Rank 15 is pretty good progress and there are a lot of decent players/decks at that rank. I just hit Rank 8 and I'm starting to see popular streamers and players I recognize. These are all people who hit legend every season and are still making progress.

The bottom line is rank 15 in the first week is awesome. Keep at it and focus on hitting 10 in a week or two.

Tarazet

Axe Flinger is definitely amazing in patron. If it wasn't for shredder it would totally be my top choice. I played it a bunch and feel like it was worth playing every time. Even vs. priest I would just inner rage or task master to keep it out of Cabal range.

The usual reaction I got from playing Axe Flinger was that they ignored it, because it doesn't really look threatening but it has a lot of hit points, so it's hard to get rid of. On the other hand, everybody hits the Shredder pinata right away, because they see that "3" and they're hopeful that it will drop a Darnassus Aspirant or something else that is bomb for them. What that meant was that I got value out of Axe Flinger synergy almost 100% of the time, and Shredder a bit less so because he didn't live long enough to play another card on.

FeD.nL

Playing with Tiny Knight of Evil in arena and I wonder if they'll ever move away from the RNG based discard in Warlock to discard by choice.

JesseZao

Playing with Tiny Knight of Evil in arena and I wonder if they'll ever move away from the RNG based discard in Warlock to discard by choice.

That card will be rotated soon, so unless they introduce more discarding in the next couple of sets, it probably won't see play.

FeD.nL

That card will be rotated soon, so unless they introduce more discarding in the next couple of sets, it probably won't see play.

Sorry, I didn't mean specifically to make Tiny Knight playable but more in the general sense for the class. Discard can be a lot of fun, I just don't really enjoy the RNG part where tou can litterally win or lose some games based on which card gets discarded. Though the discard cards currently in the game might be a bit too powerful for discard based on choice I do wonder if Blizzard will ever print discard by choice cards for Warlock.

JesseZao

Sorry, I didn't mean specifically to make Tiny Knight playable but more in the general sense for the class. Discard can be a lot of fun, I just don't really enjoy the RNG part where tou can litterally win or lose some games based on which card gets discarded. Though the discard cards currently in the game might be a bit too powerful for discard based on choice I do wonder if Blizzard will ever print discard by choice cards for Warlock.

Totally. A "discard discover" would be cool. It'd make decks more consistent though, so maybe the cards wouldn't be as cool and powerful as random discard ones.

Fireblend

Banned
Just had a fun spectating session with Aylinato while trying to make this muster-less Paladin deck work for a 3-victory quest (it's ironic my Paladin collection sucks yet I got Tirion from a Brawl pack a few weeks ago). That was fun! Thanks for the tips and hanging out! :)

I'm no deck builder but I was happy to be able to make a relatively playable Paladin deck without having to refer to a website. What do you guys think? If it had Muster I think it'd be pretty decent. It had a Divine Favor and a Mukla's Champion, but I realized later since it's very control-oriented card draw isn't really a priority, and Mukla's is better with flood/sticky-oriented decks, so I subbed them for a second Belcher and the Guardian of Kings.

u2f2dnW.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Every month, rank 15 is where I get stuck. Sometimes I manage a couple of ranks above it only to slip back down, but it's just so weird that it's the exact same point every month.

EDIT: or is it that the matchmaking algorithm changes at Rank 15 and above?

IIRC Rank 15 is kind of the 50/50 line where half the players are above it and half the players are below it. Plus you have to earn 4 stars to rank up at that point instead of 3 stars.

Edit: Actually Rank 15 is the 75/25 line. So you're breaking into the top 25% of players when you get there.

Pooya

Zoo shaman zoo zoo tempo shaman mage Zoo Zoo Zoo tempo mage, state of EU ladder LOL. I'm playing druid actually and winning all of them... then lose my win streak to effing face warrior....

I'm rank 7 already, I guess it's not so bad. My losses are generally to random decks...like this priest with holy fire -_-

I'm salty with this game even when I win. I just ended an arena run with 10/3 and I'm still salty as fuck.
I get no joy out of this children card game.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm salty with this game even when I win. I just ended an arena run with 10/3 and I'm still salty as fuck.
I get no joy out of this children card game.

You should probably take a break; I did a while ago and returned with a different approach to the game after a month or so and I'm having fun with it.

Apathy

Mill rogues should not be a thing. It's so dumb. If fatigue only increased on your turn, boom, you solve the problem, you can still have mill decks, but one player doesn't get screwed over and not play.

Mill rogues should not be a thing. It's so dumb. If fatigue only increased on your turn, boom, you solve the problem, you can still have mill decks, but one player doesn't get screwed over and not play.

aggro facerolls any mill deck and aggro is popular as hell

if you just flat out play your cards it's difficult to lose to mill decks

Apathy

aggro facerolls any mill deck and aggro is popular as hell

if you just flat out play your cards it's difficult to lose to mill decks

OK? It's not the decks I play or want to play. I don't care if aggro face beat mill rogues.

My frustration is not about the milling, it's the fact that the fatigue mechanic is exploited to the point where the person getting milled isn't even playing the miller. They sit there watching the fatigue go up and are unable to play. I would be fine if someone wants to mill my deck and get me to hold 10 cards and nothing else but at least give me a chance to play out those 10 cards in my hand and see if I can even win. The game isn't being decided on the board, it's being decided by the rogue and the fatigue. If the rogue was not able to manipulate the fatigue when it's not on my go, it would fix a problem, and they would be forced to at least play it out

btw, I didn't mean that to come out sounding rude.

jgminto

Fatigue is super easy to play around and unless your deck is super low pressure you can make it incredibly difficult for them to even focus on drawing.

Top Bottom