• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

gutshot

It still seems like a bad idea to me. They should leave the old adventures and card packs up for sale, just put them under a separate tab in the market. Put everything available in Standard on one tab and everything else in a separate tab and clearly label them as "Wild only" so that people don't accidentally buy cards that they can't use. Then people won't be locked out of the single player content and collectors can go for a complete set of all cards by buying the packs that they need the most. It seems like Blizzard is willing to completely cut their old content in order to keep the client as simple as possible, but this is ass backwards to me. The game shouldn't be constrained by the client's old UI, the client's UI should evolve along with the game.

UI evolving?

o31hDX3.png

Apathy

This reads very strongly as "faced mill rogue with a perfect draw a couple of times, now think the whole archetype is broken". I pretty much couldn't disagree more about everything you typed. If you seriously think 2 vanishes means you can't do anything, then I don't know what to say.

OK, think what you want.

It still seems like a bad idea to me. They should leave the old adventures and card packs up for sale, just put them under a separate tab in the market. Put everything available in Standard on one tab and everything else in a separate tab and clearly label them as "Wild only" so that people don't accidentally buy cards that they can't use. Then people won't be locked out of the single player content and collectors can go for a complete set of all cards by buying the packs that they need the most. It seems like Blizzard is willing to completely cut their old content in order to keep the client as simple as possible, but this is ass backwards to me. The game shouldn't be constrained by the client's old UI, the client's UI should evolve along with the game.

For all we know they could go back on this idea in like 5 expansions. In the short term I could imagine it drives up sales of Naxx and of GvG cards since they announced "hey you can't get these things easily soon, so you know, you may consider getting them now". Long term, will newer people that start the game really care about the older cards if they don't impact them in standard? who knows. Every new person that invest in every new expansion that comes out will eventually become a person that has a shit load of cards that standard won't support, and if they want to use them and go into wild and noticed say a sludge belcher and wonder what it is it might entice them into making one rather than buying a whole adventure for one card.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nope. The point is people won't be able to purchase content that isn't part of Standard because Blizzard wants to push that instead of wild.

In the future, as new expansions/adventures are rotated out, they'll probably be removed from the shop as well.

I am kind of fine with Blizzard removing Wild packs from purchase. Pushing standard makes a lot of sense to not intimidate new players. If you were to allow Wild packs to be purchased the option would have to be buried in menus and more difficult to get to. Not really user-friendly design.

I feel like the adventures should remain, though. Make them free but keep it so the cards must be crafted. That way they are only for funsies and card backs.

Dahbomb

I can't imagine anyone going nuts and believing those are real though.
I meant that before every expansion we have a bunch of leaked faked cards with the same slanted, blurry camera pic.

This time though the guy made it really obvious it's a fake because of those reprints. The riots would be insane if Blizzard reprinted those cards.

ZealousD

I meant that before every expansion we have a bunch of leaked faked cards with the same slanted, blurry camera pic.

This time though the guy made it really obvious it's a fake because of those reprints. The riots would be insane if Blizzard reprinted those cards.

Waiting for somebody to do a video where the person does weird shit like doesn't mouse over the artwork and only shows individual cards instead of full sets.

Pooya

So "whispers of the old gods" title is as good as confirmed. They have the domain registered too late Feb by proxy. It's just a long name, calling the set WotOG surely won't be happening. WoG is it I guess.

Apathy

So is the theme of the new expansion something like Eldritch horrors? That'd be pretty sweet.

Whispers seems to be a word that blizzard has been pushing on the site and on the invites for the event, so people are assuming it has to do with the old gods of WoW. They take inspiration from Lovecraftian gods and their mythos.

Oh ok, I didn't get you meant it that way when I first read it.

ZealousD

SO whispers of the old gods name is as good as confirmed. They have the domain registered too late in Feb by proxy. It's just a long name, calling the set WotOG surely won't be happening. WoG is it I guess.

I think people will just call it "Old Gods" or "Whispers". Still fewer syllables than GvG, BRM, TGT, or LoE.

gutshot

So "whispers of the old gods" title is as good as confirmed. They have the domain registered too late Feb by proxy. It's just a long name, calling the set WotOG surely won't be happening. WoG is it I guess.

I don't think that is the domain. It's a different proxy service than they normally use plus late Feb is way later than they usually register their domains. They normally register a domain 4-5 months ahead of release. GvG was registered in July and released in Dec. TGT was registered in April and released in Aug.

greepoman

I can confirm, I draw Fireball the turn I need it every single time, it's actually amazing.

I knew it it! Reynad was right. Illuminati confirmed.

The one naxx card leaving that will have a profound effect that doesn't get much press is Loatheb. It seems so vital to use properly in some matches to lock down your win. I'm guessing Blizz isn't replacing with anything...you will missed even though you destroyed me so many times as rogue.

Dahbomb

I personally love Loatheb, the issue is that while the card was meant to stopped the use of combo decks like Miracle Rogues... over time it became a card where you prevented the use of board clears in your tempo deck. It just further facilitated the game play that many people hate which is flood your board then drop down Loatheb into Dr Boom to secure win.

With Blizzard seemingly throwing down the hammer on combo decks, it makes less sense for Loatheb to exist now. I do hope that they design a card like Loatheb that can be used to stop usage of combos. We really don't have enough cards that disrupt a player's hand in the game.

ZealousD

Loatheb was a great card. I'm gonna miss the guy. He was a pretty common card to run but I never felt he was OP or unfair or anything.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
We really don't have enough cards that disrupt a player's hand in the game.

WORD. Things that mess with the other player's ability to do whatever they want ADD the "skill" into games like this. Knowing exactly when to play a card to mess up your opponent's strategy is the kind of gameplay that would enahnce the game IMO. Even better if those were spells (instead of on mininons), so that the effects would only last for a turn (or longer if we get the Fate kind of effects). It makes the game interactive in a way that it hasn't been so far. Blizzard should be able to find a happy medium somewhere that lets you mess with the opponent a little bit without ruining their fun.

It would be even better if they added something like an interrupt spell from MTG that can respond to other players' plays, but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.

Phreaker

Man the thrist for standard is real all over the hearthstone-flavored internet.

I'm so excited. I love Hearthstone, but don't like when it starts to feel "stale". So I get really pumped before any change. I just hope it's not too far off.

rando14

Loatheb is legimately one of the best-designed cards in the game. Excellent blend of ability and strategic use without being overpowered.

Hope there's a sort of replacement for him

Apathy

Did some popular streamer start using some weird malygos spell heavy shaman within the past 12 hours or something, I've run up against 4 of them so far today.

Ridli

Did some popular streamer start using some weird malygos spell heavy shaman within the past 12 hours or something, I've run up against 4 of them so far today.

maly shaman with ancestral call is a pretty old deck type. Although I haven't heard anyone trying it recently

Apathy

maly shaman with ancestral call is a pretty old deck type. Although I haven't heard anyone trying it recently

which is why it's weird I saw people playing it. Sometimes if some deck is brought up on a stream or on reddit that does ok, I end up seeing it on the ladder soon after. Didn't see anything on reddit so thought some streamers tried using it recently.

ZealousD

Malygos Shaman is just bad. It's like a dollar store version of freeze mage. Except the price is the same.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just fought a shaman in arena that played unbound elemental then elemental destruction which ended up killing it. I am dying.

manhack

https://us.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/49d826/pro_players_at_blizzard_campus_in_irvine_for/

Looks like both Blizzard America and Blizzard Europe are hosting pro players and media on Wednesday to reveal the upcoming changes to Hearthstone.

I think this type of early reveal with pro players/streamers is a good sign of how much is really going to be changing and while everyone is going to be excited about the new expansion they want to get as many popular streamers familiarized with the changes before hand so they can help the community digest the information and possibly help with any backlash.

It may also be a sign that the expansion will be out sooner rather than later, although I would imagine it won't be out before the winter championships are completed on March 26. I would not be surprised to see a March 29th release.

Dahbomb

https://us.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/49d826/pro_players_at_blizzard_campus_in_irvine_for/

Looks like both Blizzard America and Blizzard Europe are hosting pro players and media on Wednesday to reveal the upcoming changes to Hearthstone.

I think this type of early reveal with pro players/streamers is a good sign of how much is really going to be changing and while everyone is going to be excited about the new expansion they want to get as many popular streamers familiarized with the changes before hand so they can help the community digest the information and possibly help with any backlash.

It may also be a sign that the expansion will be out sooner rather than later, although I would imagine it won't be out before the winter championships are completed on March 26. I would not be surprised to see a March 29th release.
Nerf list + standard format preview on Wednesday and then new expansion showcase on Thursday?

I believe!

ZealousD

Probably, shes elemental based. I wonder if something like the twin emperors will be legendaries

They did Eydis and Fjola as well as Dreadscale and Acidmaw so it isn't as if there isn't precedent.

I still want to see a Hakkar card that spreads Corrupted Blood. He would actually fit in this expansion .

ZealousD

Nerf list + standard format preview on Wednesday and then new expansion showcase on Thursday?

I believe!

We already know the reveal is on the 11th. So the pros get the preview on Wednesday and us plebs learn about it on Friday.

Top Bottom