• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

FeD.nL

So every god has 16 cards that support them. So probably every class is going to get a card that support a specific god and then 7 neutral minions.

rickyson1

Obviously still early but I think C'thun will absolutely see play, mostly because the cultist minions that buff it have decent stats. Seems like Blizzard is learning from TGT in that respect.

legendaries are very rare in arena but if the other cultists are anything like the first couple I feel like it will be the strongest legendary there is

people are gonna be picking up that common 3/4 a lot and even the 2/3 will be grabbed a fair amount considering people take things like river crocs for curve

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Late April feels bad but more time to save up gold I guess.

I think starting it off with those corrupted cards was sorta odd, but C'thun itself is cool and getting it for free is great. Can't really say much about viability until the other cards that interact with it are shown, but that 3/4 guy looks really damn good already.

Dahbomb

That was underwhelming as hell.

*New Loot Hoarder that's 4/2 for 4 and draws a card. This isn't that bad of a card as some people are making it out to be but it's a very boring effect and card. Literally "we didn't think Loot Hoarder was meaty enough, so we doubled it!"

*Corrupted Healbot. This is basically a sooped up Zombie Chow for 5 mana. It only offers on stat above Pit Fighter (6/6 instead of 5/6). This doesn't heal you, it heals the other guy. Useful in Priest I guess due to Auchenai. Oh and they are still balancing around BGH with that statline.

*Validated Doomsayer. Clearly an anti BGH mechanic. You start with 0/7 and then it grows to 7/7. However, it being 0/7 means that it can be dealt with in other ways with stuff like Cabal Shadow Priest or just hitting with stuff... it's not like it costs 2 mana.

*Cthun sucks if they don't nerf BGH. The cards that you use to buff it are just vanilla minions by themselves (2/3, 3/4 etc). The deck would be far too dependent on drawing Cthun as the win condition. I will have to see these other cards that buff Cthun. Seems like you can make a whole deck with it. I just think this type of deck is bound to get tempo'd out before turn 10 assuming you even draw Cthun to use it.

I am not sure if they are even nerfing BGH with these new cards.

FeD.nL

Pretty sure it's 16 total, not 16 each.

So essentially 4 for each old god.

C’thun (pronounced with a hard C) comes with a compliment of 16 cards that empower him. Yogg Saron and the other 2 as yet to be revealed monstrosities will each have their own unique mechanical sub-themes that will make you want to build decks around them.

this makes it seem that every god gets 16 cards. Or at least C'thun has 16 cards that empower him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The other old gods won't have their own cultists. Think about it. We get C'thun for free because Blizzard did not want people to open cultists in packs and not be able to use them. If the other gods had cultists then Blizzard would give away those Old Gods for free as well.

inky

*Cthun sucks if they don't nerf BGH. The cards that you use to buff it are just vanilla minions by themselves (2/3, 3/4 etc). The deck would be far too dependent on drawing Cthun as the win condition. I will have to see these other cards that buff Cthun. Seems like you can make a whole deck with it. I just think this type of deck is bound to get tempo'd out before turn 10 assuming you even draw Cthun to use it.

Didn't a Deathrattle minion draw Cthun in their presentation? So there might be a way to force it still.

Pooya

The other old gods won't have their own cultists. Think about it. We get C'thun for free because Blizzard did not want people to open cultists in packs and not be able to use them. If the other gods had cultists then Blizzard would give away those Old Gods for free as well.

Read the card text, cultist are god specific.

this makes it seem that every god gets 16 cards. Or at least C'thun has 16 cards that empower him.

Ah, yeah, I guess it is 16 just for C'thun.

That seems like a ridiculous amount of cards to be dedicated to just one legendary.

Also apparently C'thun and the cultists won't be available in arena.

Fireblend

Banned

FeD.nL

Perhaps not cultists but every god will have their own sub theme/keyword as Blizzard states here, so from that I assume that every god will have their own supporting cards.

C’thun (pronounced with a hard C) comes with a compliment of 16 cards that empower him. Yogg-Saron, N'Zoth, and Y’Shaarj will each have their own unique mechanical sub-themes that will make you want to build decks around them. We can consider these sub-themes (like C’thun getting buffed while still in your deck) to be our new “keyword” for the set. There will be no new bolded keywords, as well as no new Inspire cards added this time around.

Atram

Seems like 64 + 4 old gods for this expansion, the other half are not God themed cards. Makes sense.

I see Reno+Bran+Old God themed decks be a thing.

georly

God, if some of the cultists can reduce his mana cost by ANYTHING, a brann + cthun will be insane.

No new Inspire-cards? Jesus fuck Blizz.

Yeah, this is disappointing. I guess Inspire and Joust were born and died in TGT then.

This is exactly what I expected to happen, and I like it. Give an expansion a gimmick and have that gimmick live and die with that expansion.

Pooya

It's possible that some of the cultists are legendary minions themselves. C'Thun is probably the worst weakest god, they are such a major part of the set, I don't think the rest will suck like this, better not. I expect better cards of the set to be the class cards either way.

edit: I misunderstood, I get it know.

Dahbomb

If they add stuff like:

*At the start of your turn, reduce the cost of your Cthun by 1.

*Deathrattle: Add Cthun to your hand.

They still have 14 more Cthun cards to reveal so there might be some potential.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
64 cards being tied to 4 legendaries seems a bit ridiculous

There's zero evidence of this at all.

Only Cthun has 16 cards attached to him. The others will have completely different mechanics and may not interact with other minions at all. In fact it's likely they don't. They are giving Cthun away free because he interacts with so many minions. The others probably don't.

Crosseyes

Banned
I hope that there are very unique things you can do with the cultists to buff the god and not just "+1" type stuff. Stuff like giving him the "cannot be targeted by spells" text or maybe even another legendary cultist that instantly draws him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Stuff like Corrupted Healbot or Polluted Hoarder are easy to evaluate this early but saying C'thun sucks at this moment is super premature.

greepoman

I'm guessing one the gods will use spell cards for its theme?

I really hope the old gods aren't too vulnerable to silence or bgh (or they nerf those cards). Not very fun to design your deck around a card only to have it mostly nullified.

AzureSky

I hope that there are very unique things you can do with the cultists to buff the god and not just "+1" type stuff. Stuff like giving him the "cannot be targeted by spells" text or maybe even another legendary cultist that instantly draws him.

yes, there are a lot of interesting things they could do. Reducing mana cost, stealth, shield, add death rattles/battle cry's, charge, etc.
It would be a shame if it's just damage/health buffs.

Dahbomb

I'm guessing one the gods will use spell cards for its theme?

I really hope the old gods aren't too vulnerable to silence or bgh (or they nerf those cards). Not very fun to design your deck around a card only to have it mostly nullified.
It's useless to Silence Cthun. I guess you could BGH it but the Battlecry is what makes that card strong (or at least potentially strong).

Pooya

C'Thun vs Arch Thief Rafaam...

Rafaam is a 7/8 for 9, you can choose to deal 10 damage next turn.

C'Thun deal whatever damage when played plus the body, but you have to put bad minions in your deck that don't do anything when they are played until you play the god way later in the game.

It's kinda even slower than Rafaam or considerably worse than anyfin paladin for example. It's just so bad bad. Maybe if other C'Thun cultists don't actually suck there is a chance, but the effect isn't even game winning exactly.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Oh they specifically said there won't be more Inspire minions?

That sucks I guess. Oh well.

Yeah it's from the reddit thread they made.

C’thun (pronounced with a hard C) comes with a compliment of 16 cards that empower him. Yogg-Saron, N'Zoth, and Y’Shaarj will each have their own unique mechanical sub-themes that will make you want to build decks around them. We can consider these sub-themes (like C’thun getting buffed while still in your deck) to be our new “keyword” for the set. There will be no new bolded keywords, as well as no new Inspire cards added this time around.

Dahbomb

C'Thun deal whatever damage when played plus the body, but you have to put bad minions in your deck that don't do anything when they are played until you play the god way later in the game.

It's kinda even slower than Rafaam or considerably worse than anyfin paladin for example. It's just so bad bad. Maybe if other C'Thun cultists don't actually suck there is a chance, but the effect isn't even game winning exactly.
I think Cthun is much better than Rafaam even without the buffs.

You aren't wasting two turns on Cthun.

georly

I wouldn't say they're BAD minions, they're just not constructed-tier minions. Plus, we don't know all of them and how they work together. You're probably still right, but i'll leave final judgment until we see them all. That said, unlike other gimmicks or 'races,' if it doesn't work in this expansion, I think there's no hope for it ever working.

Atram

It will be enough if you put 4-6 buff minions in your deck.

Pooya

you can put Rafaam in whatever deck, C'Thun needs a deck with bad minions. How many is enough? You probably want like 20 damage. I'm saying Rafaam generally works better and you can do much more with it and it's still not a good card exactly.

Top Bottom