• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

gutshot

you can put Rafaam in whatever deck, C'Thun needs a deck with bad minions. How many is enough? You probably want like 20 damage. I'm saying Rafaam generally works better and you can do much more with it and it's still not a good card exactly.

Bad minions? We've seen exactly 2 out of the full 16 cultists. Maybe wait until we've seen all of them before determining whether they are bad or not?

georly

you can put Rafaam in whatever deck, C'Thun needs a deck with bad minions. How many is enough? You probably want like 20 damage. I'm saying Rafaam generally works better and you can do much more with it and it's still not a good card exactly.

Those minions MIIIIIIIIGHT have other effects. Maybe stuff like "If cthun has more than 10 health, heal your hero for 5" or something. We have no idea at the moment. It CAN work, we just don't know yet.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The wait for this expansion straight up sucks, but with all the rumors I had come to expect it.

The true mistake is waiting with the nerfs. They could have introduced the card changes with the patch next week, and that would have shaken the meta up enough to make the wait for the expansion tolerable. As it is, another two months of exactly this sounds terrible.

AzureSky

rafaam doesnt have any impact on the board the turn he is played, C'Thun does.
Think about C'Thun decks more like murlock paladin combo. How good it is will depend on how good the other support cards are.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A lot of the notable early drops like Zombie Chow, Shielded Minibot, and Muster are getting removed from the Standard as well so 2/3s and 3/4s stack up less badly.

Things like Knife Juggler are already stated to be on the hit list for nerfs to boot.

Actually, on this note, which still existing cards do people feel would dominate a 2/3 followed by a 3/4?

Dahbomb

I am saying I would play a naked Cthun over Rafaam.

Cthun is a 6/6 (out of BGH range) and plays a lesser Avenging Wrath for free (around 5 mana worth). You get decent tempo spending 10 mana on it and then you can do whatever you want afterwards. Rafaam you spend 9 mana to play a 7/8 (use up whole turn) which can get BGH'd and then waste your next turn playing a subpar 10 mana card.

Both aren't that great obviously but Cthun has a bigger ceiling.

A lot of the notable early drops like Zombie Chow, Shielded Minibot, and Muster are getting removed from the Standard as well so 2/3s and 3/4s stack up less badly.

Things like Knife Juggler are already stated to be on the hit list for nerfs to boot.

Actually, on this note, which still existing cards do people feel would dominate a 2/3 followed by a 3/4?
All of the Priest Dragon cards.

Szadek

6 new cards and they all suck. Well, the C'thun cards might good if the other support is good, but for now it's pretty bad.
I hope the other cards are good, because I like this kind of deck.

georly

Non class specific? flame juggler is a better 2/3 if you never pull off c-thun. I'd probably take a harvest golem over a plain ol' 3/4.

Class specific, there are quite a few better 2 or 3 drops which may also have immediate effects. I think almost every class has better 2 or 3 drops than the c'thun ones. c'thun cards are (so far) only good if you can both draw AND play c'thun before you lose.

Pooya

Why do you keep saying bad minions when a) they've only shown a couple of them and b) all of them go through the vanilla test.

Generally you play something that has a good body or does something, right. The two drop is just a 2/3, it's worse than classic 2 drops like amani berserker that no one plays. I guess the 3 drop is not too bad. For C'Thun to work you need cards that don't just buff him. Hypothetically, there are some other that don't suck.. right that's the idea. The revealed ones are indeed subpar as on curve plays and I'm not even considering GvG/Naxx cards. If the same design principle is applied to the rest, you could guess that cultists are somewhat crippled. We've been through this whole ordeal in TGT too. "Wait for the rest of the cards to be revealed!" countless times. It was clear how inspire cards were budgeted mana wise but some didn't want to see it. It's interesting to discuss about the cards and predict how they go, there is always a pattern in synergies generally you can predict how it goes. Right now I say C'Thun will suck because of these signs. That's what pre expansion month is about anyway. Bring on the bets.

A 2/3 and a 3/4 can fight for board in the early game and that's really all you're going to want them to do in a C'thun deck. I have a hard time seeing how they're bad when you take the synergy into account.

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of "these cards suck" impressions over the next month assuming Blizzard stays the course and doesn't go the Naxx/GvG route with this expansion.

At this point all they showed were a couple of bad cards and some cards where there are questions about their viability. This was a half-assed announcement, only 6 cards, no games with premade decks showed a bunch of cards in action, no card vote for another 10 days, almost two month before the expansion, etc.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
A 2/3 and a 3/4 can fight for board in the early game and that's really all you're going to want them to do in a C'thun deck. I have a hard time seeing how they're bad when you take the synergy into account.

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of "these cards suck" impressions over the next month assuming Blizzard stays the course and doesn't go the Naxx/GvG route with this expansion.

People's expectations and ability to evaluate a card is just skewed by the state of the game for the past year plus.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I wonder if you could run a Reno-C'Thun deck. Your card quality is already a bit lower so running vanilla minions doesn't hurt so much. Plus Reno gives you the survivability to help you draw into C'thun.

georly

If all the cards suck, then they're all good! I actually prefer that, otherwise you have everyone running the same handful of cards, ignoring tons of others ;_;

FeD.nL

Pure speculation but with these things:

The Old Gods aren’t alone – they have a following of supporters who have been awaiting their arrival.

We can consider these sub-themes (like C’thun getting buffed while still in your deck) to be our new “keyword” for the set.

dJ1gwVH.png

I think C'thun will be the 'neutral' god. Each class gets one class specific C'thun card and then 7 neutral minions bringing his total to 16.

The other Gods will be divided among the classes. So 3 classes for Yogg-Saron, 3 for Y'Shaarj and 3 for N'Zoth that each get a class specific card for that god. That would bring their card contribution down to a max of 10 cards.

Tacitus_

Generally you play something that has a good body or does something, right. The two drop is just a 2/3, it's worse than classic 2 drops like amani berserker that no one plays. I guess the 3 drop is not too bad. For C'Thun to work you need cards that don't just buff him. Hypothetically, there are some other that don't suck.. right that's the idea. The revealed ones are indeed subpar as on curve plays and I'm not even considering GvG/Naxx cards.

This is my point. They're ok on their own and they buff your win condition. 2/3 will kill knife jugglers and what have you and then buff your end game bomb. Amani berserker kills the knife juggler and then does nothing because it needs to live for enrage to do anything.

gutshot

At this point all they showed were a couple of bad cards and some cards where there are questions about their viability. This was a half-assed announcement, only 6 cards, no games with premade decks showed a bunch of cards in action, no card vote for another 10 days, almost two month before the expansion, etc.

Yeah, this reveal was very underwhelming in terms of the amount of stuff they've showed. The wait is going to be excruciating.

Dahbomb

The main issue with the cultists is that they don't synergize with each other.

Imagine using that deck against a standard Dragon Priest. You play the 2/3, they play Wyrmwrest Agent. You play the 3/4, they play a 3/5. They will tempo you out because the cultists don't synergize with each other, they are just vanilla minions.

These cultist cards need to speed up the process of using Cthun to make a strong card... not just make their win condition even stronger.

I am also disappointed they didn't do a show match like last time with TGT. Those were some fun matches and we got to see more cards.

Yet another reason why shouldn't believe PR talk. "We don't like to make reveals too early"... yeah ok Blizzard.

Pooya

I sure hope they didn't fly in all those players to show them six cards...

This is my point. They're ok on their own and they buff your win condition. 2/3 will kill knife jugglers and what have you and then buff your end game bomb. Amani berserker kills the knife juggler and then does nothing because it needs to live for enrage to do anything.

That's the second part of my argument. You got your C'Thun, is it even a win condition? I'm even less convinced about this more important part right now. You can't even play it in some board states.

Even if the rest of the cultists are much better, I think C'Thun deck at best will be a worse murloc paly deck.

fuzzyset

Yeah, you basically just want to not lose until CThun shows up.

Also, Tomb Pillager + Conceal + CThun would work well to counter to BGH.

Tacitus_

They might not be sure if they can fit the 2nd expansion? Could go from late 16 to early 17 or something like that.

That's the second part of my argument. You got your C'Thun, is it even a win condition? I'm even less convinced about this more important part right now. You can't even play it in some board states.

Even if the rest of the cultists are much better, I think C'Thun deck at best will be a worse murloc paly deck.

Well people treat Rag as a win condition and C'thun will enter with a bigger body and a bigger battlecry.

G.ZZZ

The new corrupted healbot is better than it looks imho. The deathrattle is way less relevant than Zombie Chow because it's way less likely that he will die. Even if he's only vanilla, he has a tag and in a standard without good 5-drops he could see play in mech decks.

The 4/2 that draw one doesn't seems too bad either. It's essentially shredder that instead of giving you a minion it draw a card, which can be as good in aggro decks that run many spells and wins via reach, especially as a curve topper.

Dahbomb

The new corrupted healbot is better than it looks imho. The deathrattle is way less relevant than Zombie Chow because it's way less likely that he will die. Even if he's only vanilla, he has a tag and in a standard without good 5-drops he could see play in mech decks.

The 4/2 that draw one doesn't seems too bad either. It's essentially shredder that instead of giving you a minion it draw a card, which can be as good in aggro decks that run many spells and wins via reach, especially as a curve topper.
These cards aren't "bad"... they are just really boring. Just beefier versions of existing cards.

And "see play in mech decks"? You mean in Wild right? Because no mechs are going to exist in Standard. And most mechs are aggressive in nature, the heal is very relevant for them. They would much rather play Fel Reaver at that slot.

Tacitus_

And "see play in mech decks"? You mean in Wild right? Because no mechs are going to exist in Standard. And most mechs are aggressive in nature, the heal is very relevant for them. They would much rather play Fel Reaver at that slot.

They've got almost 130 cards left to reveal. Do you seriously believe that there will be no more mechs in that number?

Xanathus

They've got almost 130 cards left to reveal. Do you seriously believe that there will be no more mechs in that number?

It's extremely unlikely that there are going to be enough Mechs and Mech synergy cards in the expansion to be able to make a Mech deck considering all of the Mech cards leaving Standard. Hell, current Mech decks are already nonviable if you just take out Mechwarper.

Tacitus_

It's extremely unlikely that there are going to be enough Mechs and Mech synergy cards in the expansion to be able to make a Mech deck considering all of the Mech cards leaving Standard. Hell, current Mech decks are already nonviable if you just take out Mechwarper.

I know, but this "every mech will be gone" is different from there won't be enough for a viable deck. Minor annoyance but people have been spouting similar stuff for a while now and it's been bottling up.

It'd be really cool if Blizz added Old God whispers into Hearthstone. In WoW (most notably in the raids Temple of Ahn'Qiraj (C'thun) and Siege of Orgrammar (Y'shaarj) but Yogg-Saron would do it too in certain Northerend quest zones) the Old Gods would whisper nefarious shit to you, voice acted and all.

C'thun

Y'shaarj

Yogg-Saron

So they should add this to Hearthstone and have a rare chance for it to occur on the OGs board, that'd be dope. N'Zoth hasn't been properly shown in WoW so he has no model or voice, all we have is an Archaeology item called The Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron that eludes to him.

Pooya

That looks like to be Corrupted Coldlight Seer. I guess it will 2 damage to all other minions.

1457729379-6.jpg

Coldlight_Seer%28424%29.png

and that's Hogger. There is a tentacle card and another cultist looking dude.

Top Bottom