• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

_DrMario_

fabLUui.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The game needs more cards that deal with secrets.

This card is hyper-hyper niche. It's worse than Kezan Mystic if your opponent has a single secret. How many times are you really going to build a deck and go "I need a tech card that helps me out when my opponent is playing multiple secrets."

Because I can think of only one case where I might actually consider a card like that. I need a counter to Secret Paladin. This is a card that was built to specifically counter a single other card. That is the absolutely worst kind of tech card.

Sheroking

It's not better than Kezan. Kezan creates a swing, this doesn't really. You just get a dude on board. Stealing mirror entity is a LOT better than destroying it. You usually deal with 1 - 2 secret anyway.

This card won't help against secret paly in wild. Because you have to draw it, there is still a sticky board and a 6/6 on board. secret paly will just go face and kill you with all the tempo he has from earlier.

If Secret Eater destroys 5 secrets, it becomes a 7/9 and easily contests Challenger.

If they drop Challenger on 6, you will have 2-3 more mana worth of tempo on them.

sibarraz

Banned
It's not better than Kezan. Kezan creates a swing, this doesn't really. You just get a dude on board. Stealing mirror entity is a LOT better than destroying it. You usually deal with 1 - 2 secret anyway.

This card won't help against secret paly in wild. Because you have to draw it, there is still a sticky board and a 6/6 on board. secret paly will just go face and kill you with all the tempo he has from earlier.

that's the thing, we don't know if paladin will had a sticky board like the ones that has now once standard arrives

Sheroking

This card is hyper-hyper niche. It's worse than Kezan Mystic if your opponent has a single secret. How many times are you really going to build a deck and go "I need a tech card that helps me out when my opponent is playing multiple secrets."

3/5 is better than a 4/3 and while taking a secret is better than destroying it, it basically destroys a 3 mana play for them anyway. It's still a tempo swing.

Because I can think of only one case where I might actually consider a card like that. I need a counter to Secret Paladin. This is a card that was built to specifically counter a single other card. That is the absolutely worst kind of tech card.

It specifically counters two of the biggest bullshit decks in Hearthstone history and de-incentivizes secret play in both formats.

There are like 10 tech cards I dislike more.

Pooya

If Secret Eater destroys 5 secrets, it becomes a 7/9 and easily contests Challenger.

If they drop Challenger on 6, you will have 2-3 more mana to use and they will have nothing.

But paladin has the initiative and is ahead the whole game while you were holding this card in your hand waiting for the moment.

if you're ahead on board you're winning anyway, you don't need secret eater. That's the secret paly match in a nut shell and why tech cards like this are not the solution to a broken card.

Situational cards are generally bad. Yeah, right it will win that one game or two and it will be awful everywhere else. It might not even win you secret paly.

sibarraz

Banned
Also a card that gives you a minion on board AND steal a secret is as bullshit as other hated cards that people demand a nerf.

This is a decent nerf that also doesn't make the card unplayable and in some situations could give a big advantage

Pooya

that's the thing, we don't know if paladin will had a sticky board like the ones that has now once standard arrives

I'm talking about wild balance, secret paly doesn't look like a problem in standard which makes this card worse secret counter than Kezan against mage/hunter.

Sheroking

But paladin has the initiative and is ahead the whole game while you were holding this card in your hand waiting for the moment.

Holding onto a tech card to blow up the one card they want to keep doesn't necessarily surrender the initiative.

if you're ahead on board you're winning anyway, you don't need secret eater. That's the secret paly match in a nut shell and why tech cards like this are not the solution to a broken card.

The bullshit of Secret Paladin is that this is not at all true.

They can, and regularly do, win from a losing board after dropping the challenger. Even if you have the board to contest everything, you burn through more mana and resources to keep it than they did to build it. How often do we see Boom or Tirion come down against a depleted board in the turn or two after the big Challenger turn, and just not be properly answered?

It's a tech card that exists to keep secret play from becoming too prevalent. It doesn't need to be played constantly, it only needs to exist to keep those decks from ever becoming too popular.

That's great for Wild because, let's face it, without a couple of these tech cards targeting current top decks, it might've just been the current meta, minus Druid, forever.

G.ZZZ

The card is worse than Kezan in anything but slower control decks, (as a 2-4 against an aggro deck is way better than 4/3), but i don't think slower control decks would ever want this, and the Kezan steal effect can create unwinnable board states for your opponent where this can't.

Should've costed 3 and had the effect capped at a single secret. Having an effect better vs "multiple" secrets basically make this super niche and good only vs secret challenger and unplayable in any other situation. Trash tier design.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Because there is obviously going to be a 'corrupted scientist' in this set. Their theme is very clear.

"Battlecry: Summon a random secret for your opponent"

It would make Eater of Secrets a tiny bit more consistent against other decks.

Catvoca

Banned
Everyone talking about secret Paladin when I'm just thinking about how funny it'll be when a freeze mage gets fucked by this card in a tournament.

Dahbomb

Not sure why people are comparing this to Kezan Mystic when that's being rotated out. Main issue with Kezan Mystic was that it countered itself. Mages/Hunters started carrying Kezan themselves to take back their secrets which was why Kezan was phased out after having a small time of prevalance.

This card doesn't have that issue and it counters multiple secrets. Even if it counters 1 secret, that's good enough but 2 or more and it starts to become insane. Sure, Kezan is better against a single secret but Kezan existed in a Mad Scientist meta. Assuming they don't add a Mad Scientist type card in this expansion, this card is fine even as a way to counter Freeze Mage's Ice Block. It has the added bonus of countering MC although even if you counter it you still have a 6/6 body to deal with.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This card will also be amazing when there are Wild Only Tournaments, especially if the tournament allows sideboards.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Boring ass card

Boring ass name

Booring as shit

Pooya

yeah, that's one issue I have with this set so far. Card names are just really lazy. Existing card name plus pun prefix or now Eater of secrets. Can't they just give cards real new names.

Reynad on stream he's so bad in a good way.. I'm not sure Blizzard will invite him again LOL. "I love silver hand recruit, this card is 5 recruits, I love it 5 times"

and he's all eh on the secret eater. obviously.

Dahbomb

Do you guys think Giant Sand Worm is going to see play?
Two things have to happen:

1) BGH nerfed
2) Hunter has some more cards that allows it to play a control style

I don't see #2 happening so I don't expect to see it played much. Great in Arena for sure.

Eater of Secrets could've easily been a 3/4 imo.

If you have 1 secret it destroys it and becomes a 3/5, that's pretty decent for a 4 drop IMO.

I dunno, I said that I wanted more secret removal but this card feels a bit too on the nose. Flare is a pretty cool card: Remove secrets, remove stealth, draw a card, even if there's no secrets or stealth it's still 2 mana draw a card.

This card however has absolutely no purpose other than to play it if your opponent plays MC or any other secrets, it's so lame. And the name: Eater of Secrets, are you for real Blizzard? Who OK'd this?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
3/5 is better than a 4/3 and while taking a secret is better than destroying it, it basically destroys a 3 mana play for them anyway. It's still a tempo swing.

Well sure. But if you're picking between Kezan Mystic and Secret Eater, going with Secret Eater essentially implies you'd prefer the ability to counter multiple secrets over the higher tempo swing of Kezan. Secret Eater only makes sense in a meta where people are playing full-on secret decks like Secret Paladin or some not-played nonsense like Secret Mage.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With Mad Scientist, Secrets were free cards that affected neither your mana nor your card advantage.

If a Mage is playing a Secret on turn 3 and then you play Eater of Secrets on turn 4, your turn was effectively "Destroy a three mana cost minion and play a 3/5".

For Hunters, it's "Destroy a two mana cost minion and play a 3/5".

On top of that, if they do get two Secrets out, you get an even larger upside, and obviously the gigantic swing against Secret Paladin.

It's a tech card that still effectively targets all three classes if they're using Secrets. The question becomes if any of them are actually using them. I probably wouldn't want a tech card like that unless I was expecting at least a third of my matches to involve opponents with Secrets.

Do you guys think Giant Sand Worm is going to see play?

I hope so, it definitely has potential. If you can get it to stick on the board for a turn it's a complete board clear and damage to the face with a Bestial Wrath or Stablemaster which I think is something the Hunter class needs, although at 8 mana for Sandworm it might just be too late to count on.

Sheroking

Well sure. But if you're picking between Kezan Mystic and Secret Eater, going with Secret Eater essentially implies you'd prefer the ability to counter multiple secrets over the higher tempo swing of Kezan. Secret Eater only makes sense in a meta where people are playing full-on secret decks like Secret Paladin or some not-played nonsense like Secret Mage.

Well, look at this way. Kezan is a bad tech card that doesn't do enough against decks where multiple secrets. It's basically the anti-freeze mage card. Secret Eater still counters Freeze Mage (a 4 mana 2-4 is a fine keep against a deck that barely plays minions), but also ensures that a secret heavy deck has a good answer.

Tacitus_

Well, look at this way. Kezan is a bad tech card that doesn't do enough against decks where multiple secrets. It's basically the anti-freeze mage card. Secret Eater still counters Freeze Mage (a 4 mana 2-4 is a fine keep against a deck that barely plays minions), but also ensures that a secret heavy deck has a good answer.

To be fair, it was created when running to 2 active secrets was pretty rare and anything above that was a joke deck.

i hated it at first then i realized it's really good for clearing out quests on classes i don't like playing in constructed

people concede quite early to god drops as well so its a better gold farmer than constructed

Top Bottom