• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Pooya

The brawl is designed for druid, like I cleared 5 brawl win quest in 5 games just with druid. It's easy gold farming if you're in mood. Sure you can't win every game but it has much higher chance than other classes to outright win on turn 1-2-3.

@Kolento

Happy that Americas Winter Championship Blizzcon spot was taken by someone who actually knows how to play

shots fired. Really other than amnesiac and chessdude, the rest were garbage tier. Even me, average ladder player could beat these guys. That billy guy was just so embarrassing. Or that Snail guy played so badly. He said he's proof than anyone can get in here. Very true, with secret paladin and druid anyone can become legendary...

they really better add in the ability to see what set cards are from in the app by the time standard comes in. no excuse for leaving that detail out when its so important now.

i wonder if divine favor will finally get gimped since so many cards are supposed to. got an extra and a gold one i'm holding on to just in case. its fun as hell for aggro and BS spit your hand out decks though so part of me hopes it stays like it has lol

sibarraz

Banned
I always had trouble playing against those echo of medivh decks, at least I always face them with decks that had troubles against them

Tarazet

Also a card that gives you a minion on board AND steal a secret is as bullshit as other hated cards that people demand a nerf.

This is a decent nerf that also doesn't make the card unplayable and in some situations could give a big advantage

Well, we've got to have something to replace Kezan Mystic, right? (GvG card)

But why a completely fucking generic name and nondescript art..

Sande

Why does Eater of Secrets have to be so damn swingy? Nice value for 1 secret, insane for 2+, almost unplayable for 0. Niche tech cards need a decent body so putting them in you deck doesn't lose you half of your games.

Hycran

Banned
Why does Eater of Secrets have to be so damn swingy? Nice value for 1 secret, insane for 2+, almost unplayable for 0. Niche tech cards need a decent body so putting them in you deck doesn't lose you half of your games.

I don't think 2+ is insane for 4 mana given the downside is that the card will be worthless against 6 1/2 classes. Niche cards don't need a good body considering the appeal of them is that they will provide some other advantage proportional to the benefit they draw. Cards like MCT or Blood Knight should probably be considered to have bad bodies given the current meta, but their powers also don't flat out win you the game, so their bodies are a bit stronger.

Think about the best 4 drops, a 4 mana 4/6 (After eating 2 secrets) is still barely better than a yeti. The body on secret eater is pretty much irrelevant as it isn't an actual 4 drop, it is designed to be a late game drop that can provide a huge benefit, most likely letting you score lethal by eating any hunter trap, ice block, get down, etc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's an insurance policy against Secret Paladin/Freeze Mage. Basically, these two decks will never be as dominant in the next meta as they are now with one or two cards like this running around, because of how it is almost a total sweep against their most common board state.

I don't think it's actually meant to be a long term tech card.

Tarazet

It's an insurance policy against Secret Paladin/Freeze Mage. Basically, these two decks will never be as dominant in the next meta as they are now with one or two cards like this running around, because of how it is almost a total sweep against their most common board state.

I don't think it's actually meant to be a long term tech card.

Kezan is a crushing counter to Freeze Mage, since you only need to steal one secret to ruin the Mage's win condition, and it's totally predictable.. but I've still never felt like that card was enough reason to stop playing the deck, because it wasn't that widely used. Not the way that Owl and BGH are.

Sande

I don't think 2+ is insane for 4 mana given the downside is that the card will be worthless against 6 1/2 classes.
That's why I said it's insane when it hits, practically useless when it doesn't. That was literally the whole point. 4/6 for 4 while destroying 2 secrets is huge btw. Basically game winning if you're not just about to lose.

Niche cards don't need a good body considering the appeal of them is that they will provide some other advantage proportional to the benefit they draw. Cards like MCT or Blood Knight should probably be considered to have bad bodies given the current meta, but their powers also don't flat out win you the game, so their bodies are a bit stronger.
Tech cards need a good body precisely for the reason you just brought up, that their card text is useless in most match-ups. MCT and Blood Knight have (comparatively) better bodies than Eater of Secrets. On top of that, MCT is quite reliable in the types of decks that run it.

Think about the best 4 drops, a 4 mana 4/6 (After eating 2 secrets) is still barely better than a yeti. The body on secret eater is pretty much irrelevant as it isn't an actual 4 drop, it is designed to be a late game drop that can provide a huge benefit, most likely letting you score lethal by eating any hunter trap, ice block, get down, etc.
It's a straight upgrade to Yeti, and on top of that it destroyed those secrets. That's pretty huge. You can't just make a blanket statement of "oh it was designed for X and will be used for that specific thing, so Y doesn't even matter." The body might not matter sometimes, sometimes it could make all the difference in the world. And again, the reason why the body should be good isn't for the times the card fills its purpose, it's for the 60+% of matches when the card text is completely meaningless.

Think about something like Harrison Jones. 6 classes run weapons somewhat commonly and it still has a pretty good body for the cost. Eater of Secrets is a more specific counter with a worse body.

Tarazet

Think about something like Harrison Jones. 6 classes run weapons somewhat commonly and it still has a pretty good body for the cost. Eater of Secrets is a more specific counter with a worse body.

Think of Flare.. it draws a card, destealths minions, and destroys all enemy secrets. For 1 mana. So it does even more cool things than Eater.

Still doesn't get play.

Kezan Mystic has the magic 4 attack to be Priest-proof, it can be played on curve without looking ridiculous, and it gives an enemy's secret to you.

Still doesn't get play. (Much) (Mainly because of Shredder)

Harrison is also playable on curve, but he only gets put in control decks that want another draw engine.

Xanathus

Think of Flare.. it draws a card, destealths minions, and destroys all enemy secrets. For 1 mana. So it does even more cool things than Eater.

Still doesn't get play.

Kezan Mystic has the magic 4 attack to be Priest-proof, it can be played on curve without looking ridiculous, and it gives an enemy's secret to you.

Still doesn't get play. (Much) (Mainly because of Shredder)

Harrison is also playable on curve, but he only gets put in control decks that want another draw engine.

Flare was played ALL the time when it was 1 mana, and with 2 copies even.

bunbun777

oh man, called it- (not really that proud since i think i was just joking around)

Just make a nuetral 6/6 that copies all enemy secrets.

Or even better, pulls out enemy secrets and plays them for you lol.

Or...secret eater, gets a 1/1 buff for every secret it eats (destroys)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Flare was played ALL the time when it was 1 mana, and with 2 copies even.

I honestly believe if other classes had a 1 mana spell that just drew a card, they would be played. The fact that Flare did other useful stuff made it amazing at 1 mana.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I honestly believe if other classes had a 1 mana spell that just drew a card, they would be played.

A vanilla "draw a card" spell would likely only see play at 0 mana. Spending 1 mana to replace a card you would have drawn anyway is actually kind of bad. Raven Idol and Tracking are better cards then that and they don't see any constructed play right now.

But because flare had the potential upside to kill a secret or reveal a stealth minion it made a lot more sense to run it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A vanilla "draw a card" spell would likely only see play at 0 mana. Spending 1 mana to replace a card you would have drawn anyway is actually kind of bad. Raven Idol and Tracking are better cards then that and they don't see any constructed play right now.

But because flare had the potential upside to kill a secret or reveal a stealth minion it made a lot more sense to run it.

I think both Rouge and Mage could justify a 1 mana spell to draw a card, but yeah, maybe most classes would not spring for it.

Dahbomb

It's kinda weird that one draw is statted as 0.5 mana (when you look at cards like Power Word) but two draws is statted as 3 mana. Though on minions draw is costed more appropriately.

Tarazet

For the past year or so, card cycling has been what you do to draw a specific combo and effectively shrink your deck. There have even been Freeze Mage variants running Novice Engineer. It would definitely see play in Mage and Rogue at the very least.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Enemy Priest Plays Death Wing, I bounce it back to his hand with Freeze Trap.

"My Apologies"

The best thing is he then did it to his Ysara too after the Deathwing.

Brofist

I think both Rouge and Mage could justify a 1 mana spell to draw a card, but yeah, maybe most classes would not spring for it.

Just bring this one back

184px-Adrenaline_Rush(180)_Gold.png

embalm

My thoughts so far:

I think Stand Against the Darkness is terrible. It's pretty boring and there is the 3/3 inspire make a dude card that is better, but no one plays it. Quartermaster is also going out of rotation, so dudes aren't as good.
There was a really good token Pally deck that used Justicar Trueheart, Muster, and Quarter Master to create crazy boards from nothing but a few dudes. Combo it up with Knife Juggler and you had a huge swing. That deck was really annoying, luckily Secret Paladin ended up being more popular. If this is the Muster replacement, maybe there is a Quartermaster replacement coming, anything that buffs dudes is good. If that card is 4 or less mana then maybe we'll see the token pally come back into the light.

Giant Sandworm is... pretty good... especially in arena. It's a straight up control card, but if Hunter ever gets it together for a control deck, this card is pretty great. There is too much removal in constructed and it doesn't do anything on the turn it's played so it runs into the usual problem for 7+ mana cards. I really like it though and I will totally build a Beast Hunter with it if I open one of them.
Tundra Rhino + Sandworm = awesome. Maybe put Call Beast in your deck to reduce the mana cost.

Eater of Secrets looks like a great tech card. The 2/4 stats are a good fit for a control deck, so even if you get no secret destruction value it should trade with a few aggro cards.
I think it's better than Kezan Mystic for sure. Kezan was fun against mages who only ran 2 secrets, but against hunter and pally it was never enough. Being able to destroy the secrets is all you want to do and this does that well.

Hogger, the scourge of Elwynn is alright. The high cost really hurts the card. You need a way to trigger it on your own if you want to play it, so it's limited to almost only Warrior right away. 6/6 base stats are pretty bad for 7 mana and it dies to almost anything that will be played at that point in a game. It will usually generate a single 2/2 if played without self damaging. Maybe it has a place in Patron Warrior, spamming the board with crap works pretty well sometimes.
All of the giants are flat out better cards. It's the same 8/8 of stats for less cost and they don't require any combos or setup.
Illidan is a good comparison. He requires no setup and you get a 2/1 for every card played. He is only 6 mana, has the demon tag, and still sees no play. The Gnolls having taunt is a big advantage, but I'm not sold on it being enough.

georly

Illidan sees no play because it is a BGH target on top of having only 5 HP.

God, I'd love to see illidan come back into play. Tons of unused cards that should see play for at least one expansion.

I'm thinking about spending money for the first time ever (through amazon coins of course) to preorder this expansion so I can compete at fireside gatherings. I just moved and there's one 7 miles from where I live EVERY WEEK, which I think would be cool. Unfortunately, I only have 1-2 REAL decks (dragon priest, zoo lock) and you need 4 to enter.

Anyone been to a fireside gathering? How was it? (obviously it'll vary from place to place, but i'd still like to hear stories).

georly

Maybe something like a 4 mana 6/6, 50% chance your opponent draws an extra card...?

I am alllll for more cards with low cost and good stats that help your opponent in some other way. My idea for a card was "Corrupted scientist" - 3 mana 4/4, deathrattle: "Give your opponent a random secret." Would work really well with secret eater, too, since you could basically guarantee your opponent to have a secret.

Top Bottom