• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

georly

8koI94S.png

Huh. Ok. Fits in with any priest deck that would have run thoughtsteal anyway.

georly

Hmm, not sure about that card.

Stats are probably holding it back too much.

I'd say that deathrattle is worth about 1 mana (half a thoughtsteal + weak to silence), so a 3 mana 4/3 is alright.

Looking like N'zoth decks (that blizzard is trying to make, at least - not that they'll actually work) might be priest and hunter? Maybe?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Priest Continue to be the best thieves in the game. That stat lines makes it hard to justify playing though.

That's half a Thoughtsteal for only a 1 mana hit in stats. Or think of it as a Thoughtsteal where one of the cards it gives you is a 1 mana 4/3.

Danj

I think the problem I'm having with miladesn's smorc paladin deck is that it has no finisher - there've been many matches where I've gotten the enemy down to single digits but haven't been able to close the deal.

FeD.nL

Fair card. Nothing ground breaking. Though Deathrattle might be slightly more valuable than what it has been for the past years.

A decent card, but how far can you go in this game competitively with copying random stuff out of your opponent's deck?

Though I think there's an argument to be made for the synergy between Steal Priest and Yogg-Saran. You're basically playing your entire deck twice.

ZealousD

I think the problem I'm having with miladesn's smorc paladin deck is that it has no finisher - there've been many matches where I've gotten the enemy down to single digits but haven't been able to close the deal.

Can you post that deck list again. IIRC it runs Elise, which seemed baffling.

Apathy

Hmm, not sure about that card.

Stats are probably holding it back too much.

Seriously.

It's a class card, why not a 4/5 body. Hell look at the druid one, that thing is a 4/5 most of the time if dropped on 4 and a 4/10 late in the game and sometimes at 4.

This is just bleck. Ok so I get an opponents minion in my hand. I would rather play a polluted loot hoarder and draw one of my own cards that I know will help instead of a hail mary hope I don't get shit card from my opponents deck.

Unless Auchenai gets nerfed then Priest is still going to run that.

If they want other 4 drops would they really run Shade over Holy Champion? I'm not sure. Plus Elise is fairly popular in Priest.

gutshot

Had Shifting Shade been a 3 mana 3/4, it would have been a near auto-include in Priest decks. A straight Dark Cultist replacement. As it is, the statline is just weak enough to make it a borderline pick. It doesn't help that both Holy Champion and Auchenai exist and are probably better 4 drops in most cases.

The main comparison to this card is Undercity Huckster, of course. Huckster I think has a better statline for its cost, a 2/2 for 2 isn't too bad since most competitive 2 drops have 2 health. But the Shade's effect is slightly better as you aren't going to get stuck with a really weak class card like Totemic Might or something similar. I think Huckster is still the better card though.

bjaelke

Seriously.

It's a class card, why not a 4/5 body. Hell look at the druid one, that thing is a 4/5 most of the time if dropped on 4 and a 4/10 late in the game and sometimes at 4.

This is just bleck. Ok so I get an opponents minion in my hand. I would rather play a polluted loot hoarder and draw one of my own cards that I know will help instead of a hail mary hope I don't get shit card from my opponents deck.

You do know why people play Thoughtsteal?

Apathy

You do know why people play Thoughtsteal?

OMG REALLY!?!?! You don't say? I never knew that, you are blowing my mind. Next you'll tell me people play shredder. Dude, I know they do, doesn't mean this thing is good for what it does, specially as a deathrattle. Hey replace your thoughtsteal for this, get it silenced, now you have no thoughtsteal.

Auchenai Soulpriest should have extra text that makes it give +1 hero power damage if you have Shadowform.

Had Shifting Shade been a 3 mana 3/4, it would have been a near auto-include in Priest decks. A straight Dark Cultist replacement. As it is, the statline is just weak enough to make it a borderline pick. It doesn't help that both Holy Champion and Auchenai exist and are probably better 4 drops in most cases.

The main comparison to this card is Undercity Huckster, of course. Huckster I think has a better statline for its cost, a 2/2 for 2 isn't too bad since most competitive 2 drops have 2 health. But the Shade's effect is slightly better as you aren't going to get stuck with a really weak class card like Totemic Might or something similar. I think Huckster is still the better card though.
Flame Juggler is becoming more popular, and I think he'll be the go-to 2-drop for most decks unless we get something great.

Seriously.

Fatigue.

Obscura

My bet it Blizard decided to do this somewhat last minute, and likely didn't want to waste a "Real" Alternative hero on a week long promotion. So they needed a character who isn't a card, who they didn't already have other plans for, and they had or could get recorded lines for quickly.

well, yes. Khadgar is a very notable mage, he's been around long before wow. He has to be a mage hero.

Why they picked a mage hero for this promo? So that more people buy it. It being 3rd mage hero makes it that if people missed out on it, it's not a big deal. If they put a priest or rogue hero for example, it would be a bad move as it's the only/first hero for those classes.

Thanks for the replies. I somehow missed that it was a week long promotion. Makes sense now.

bjaelke

OMG REALLY!?!?! You don't say? I never knew that, you are blowing my mind. Next you'll tell me people play shredder. Dude, I know they do, doesn't mean this thing is good for what it does, specially as a deathrattle. Hey replace your thoughtsteal for this, get it silenced, now you have no thoughtsteal.

I can't imagine many decks wasting silence on this card. I never said it was a strong card, but you asked why anyone would want to get a card from their opponent's deck rather than fatigue themself.

Kunohara

I don't know about running Shade, but it makes Curator pretty good still. Since it is a class card, it will show up more often.

Ridli

Putting card steal on a deathrattle is a great idea. But shade loses to a lot of 2 drops. Seems like a really weak turn 4.

I agree with this being an okay draw from curator though.

Blizzard certainly has put in a decent number of cards that actively fight fatigue for this expansion.

As a Priest pro, this card is shit. Not borderline, plain shit. Should have been a 3 mana 3/4 body. Look at the fuckery Mages got yesterday and then look at this card and tell me this isn't some bullshit. Still no decent 3 mana replacements even though we've lost over 4 options in that spot.

ZealousD

Seriously.

This is just bleck.

Fucking hell. Mad Scientist and Shredder have ruined you guys. A Yeti that adds a card to your hand is BUSTED.

ZealousD

Yeti won't get taken off the board by a 2 drop. 4/5 /= 4/3

I really don't care if it dies to a 2 drop or not. The Naxx and GvG tempo game has warped your guys' minds into thinking tempo is all that matters these days. Like value and card advantage means nothing. "Card advantage is valued at nothing". That's what you guys are saying when you say this should be a Yeti or Spider Tank.

I really don't care if it dies to a 2 drop or not. The Naxx and GvG tempo game has warped your guys' minds into thinking tempo is all that matters these days. Like value and card advantage means nothing.

Fair you get card advantage. The problem I have is the meta doesn't promote games where fatigue may be an issue. The game is rooted in tempo. Priest is notoriously weak in that area. Unless the meta radically changes, this only keeps Priest as a substandard tier while Mage reigns supreme in all aspects of the game.

I don't think it's an outright bad card but I just think of it in terms of;

Would Priest run this over Auchenai? No.

Would Priest run this over Holy Champion? Maybe, probably not.

Is Priest going to run more than four 4 drops? Extremely doubtful.

Just tough to find a spot where this card fits in Priest, especially as the class tends to lean toward minions that have higher health as opposed to attack. Maybe all that changes in Standard, we'll see, but for now I have a hard time imagining a scenario where Shade gets consistent play.

I really don't care if it dies to a 2 drop or not. The Naxx and GvG tempo game has warped your guys' minds into thinking tempo is all that matters these days. Like value and card advantage means nothing. "Card advantage is valued at nothing". That's what you guys are saying when you say this should be a Yeti or Spider Tank.
There's a lot of value cards being added though so we'll have to see if this is good enough to deserve a spot.

I love the value game though, I'm a citizen of Valuetown.

ZealousD

It does. If you've got a better deck (of any class) for laddering that I actually have the cards for/enough dust to craft then I am happy to hear about it.

At a minimum you cut Elise for a second Shredder. Or at least another fast card like a second Blessing of Might. I can't even begin to fathom why she is in that deck.

I think the new priest card is good. You're getting a 4/3 body for 1.5 mana if you compare the card directly to thoughtsteal. It's a bit slower than thoughtsteal but you still get a pretty decent body. It doesn't directly fit with the usual high hp, heal, game plan. The statline for priest might cause it not to be played but I think it's still an okay card. Probably won't be in a competitive deck though.

edit:
Perhaps "good" might be misinterpreted. It's just above the statline normal for a card that draws a card in the same slot. So it's not terrible, but not great either.

ZealousD

Fair you get card advantage. The problem I have is the meta doesn't promote games where fatigue may be an issue. The game is rooted in tempo. Priest is notoriously weak in that area. Unless the meta radically changes, this only keeps Priest as a substandard tier while Mage reigns supreme in all aspects of the game.

There are already decks on ladder like Renolock, Control Warrior, Control Priest, Concede Mage, etc where card advantage and fatigue are major issues. Not every match is Secret Paladin, Aggro Shaman, or Face Hunter.

Apathy

Auchenai Soulpriest should have extra text that makes it give +1 hero power damage if you have Shadowform.

Flame Juggler is becoming more popular, and I think he'll be the go-to 2-drop for most decks unless we get something great.

Fatigue.

Fatigue is always the argument but unless I'm playing vs control warrior, that point never happens.

I can't imagine many decks wasting silence on this card. I never said it was a strong card, but you asked why anyone would want to get a card from their opponent's deck rather than fatigue themself.

You should go back and check my posts, because I never once asked why would anyone run this. In fact from the 2 posts I made, I clearly mention thoughtsteal. I know exactly why people would run it, and they would be better off with something that isn't a 3 health minion and keeping thoughtsteal in their deck. Rather play a holy champion and keep it alive specially since shredder is leaving and holy champion fits in better.

Now you might not want to silence it, but others will. Specially later on, why would you want to give your opponent cards if they were struggling to get any of their own. If this was a battlecry I would say at least a guaranteed affect is better than not, even with the body it has. This easily could have been a 4/4 with that deathrattle.

Fucking hell. Mad Scientist and Shredder have ruined you guys. A Yeti that adds a card to your hand is BUSTED.

I'm not saying it should be a 4/5 with draw a card, I'm saying that that the druid class card is better for the weirder effect it has and how powerful a class card on 4 could be. This could be a 4/4 with that deathrattle instead of a 4/3.

At a minimum you cut Elise for a second Shredder. Or at least another fast card like a second Blessing of Might. I can't even begin to fathom why she is in that deck.

For fun I would say. A second shredder would be better than her, but it could just be like a "pow! going to go and get my monkey and have lulz".

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The priest card is interesting. I think it could find a home in a stealing based priest deck. In a world without Deathlord, Velen's, Dark Cultist, and Sludge Belcher, you gotta run some minions. This has an acceptable body, it replaces itself in hand so you don't lose much if it just get blown up immediately. Pretty decent. Not sure how well it will work out in practice, but at least its good enough to give it a try. Between this, Shadow Madness and maybe Senjin, you have the starting of decent mid range-ish priest deck.

ZealousD

Rather play a holy champion and keep it alive specially since shredder is leaving and holy champion fits in better.

I see. You are playing "Alternate Universe Hearthstone", where Priests are actually being aggressive and running Piloted Shredder in their decks.

If the meta slows down to where there are a decent number of greedy control decks then I guess Shifting Shade does get a big boost from that. Might be enough for it to see play.

NBtoaster

Seems like a solid card. In a lot of matchups you never get the opportunity to play thoughtsteal, this seems more flexible. Great Museum Curator pick too.

The Priest card will see play in Control Priest decks. It is a decent card. Not OP, but not shit.

Also, if Auchenai gets nerfed as I'm predicting, we'll definitely be using this a little more than with a non-nerfed Auchenai.

Apathy

I see. You are playing "Alternate Universe Hearthstone", where Priests are actually being aggressive and running Piloted Shredder in their decks.

Not keep it alive for the damage thats a bonus, keep it alive because it might last a turn with the health it has

going by the description of Khadgar on the client, he's only available this month too. It actually says "was available as a special promotion in April 2016". keyword here being "was", it's really limited, if you want it get it now.

Looks like they're done with 10 bucks heroes. They are using them for promos instead. In March we got Liadrin, April this, someone else next month probably.

They went with mage here because it's the most played casual class everyone starts with so more are likely to buy. Like, I don't think they're going to tie a priest or rogue hero to purchases like this, nobody will buy them for a class they don't play. We probably have to do something stupid to unlock them.

Wait is it too late to get Liadrin now? Dammit

Fishlake

The shade looks neat.

It seems the most fair an balanced of all the cards shown off not overpowered but not weak either.

It seems like they are really pushing to remove shredder from being included in every deck in the wild format.

It should make the wild more varied and I'm happy to see that.

I now have 40 packs in quests and gold after today. 4000 totaled up.

I hope it is enough for 1 legendary and the pity timer is correct.

Top Bottom