• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

I finally built the staple Aggro Shaman deck. Wow. At first I was going 1-1 with it. Actually, it took 10 matches like that before I came to a streak. Once I got the streak, I went from rank 12 to rank 9, though. This deck is notably better than Face Hunter, but about equal with Hybrid Hunter, I think. The big difference seems to be that Aggro Shaman walks all over Control Warrior, and does decent against Control Priest, but has trouble against tempo decks, and the relationship is flipped for Hybrid Hunter.

My most noteworthy win was against a Renolock. Lethal on turn 4. I've never had that happen with any other deck. That's just insane to me.

I've only gotten the Doomhammer + Rockbiter combo once. This is undoubtedly the easiest deck I have to play. Even easier than Hunter, because you don't have to think about when to use your Hero Power (not unless you have to, lol), and you don't have to think about optimal BGH usage. You just burn face. Max damage I've done from my hand is 20 in burn spells with a Wrath of Air Totem out. I bet that Warrior thought he was safe...

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Nah, that's correct. Best vanilla legendary, arguably tied with tirion on paladin, but usually referred to as being better.

Edit: Left out a word. Mean to say CLASS legendary.

I'm assuming by stupid, you meant stupid good.

Not even close to the best class legendary. That would probably be Tirion.

fertygo

Tirion is practically an auto-include in every Paladin deck that isn't Divine Favor aggro.

Jaraxxus might not be in even half of the Warlock decks.

You can argue Tirion is better, but "not even close" imply Jaraxx is like 3rd tier Legendary, Bolvar tier.. which is nonsense

Magnus

How many priest class cards are still to be revealed? I feel like we didn't get any serious love yet...waiting for that one new killer card to replace the abundance of sweet GvG cards we're losing (Dark Cultist, Velen's, Lightbomb, Light of the Naaru, Vol'jin...)

Raxus

How many priest class cards are still to be revealed? I feel like we didn't get any serious love yet...waiting for that one new killer card to replace the abundance of sweet GvG cards we're losing (Dark Cultist, Velen's, Lightbomb, Light of the Naaru, Vol'jin...)

Out of all of them the one that hurt the most was light bomb. Even then priests aren't too bad off thanks to the godliness that is entomb.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

There should be 5 more, though a lot likely won't be shown until the info dump.

Its expected each class will have 3 Commons, 3 Rares, 2 Epics, 1 Legendary, like TgT. So far they have shown Priest's Legendary, its 2 epics, and 1 rare.

Epics are usually crap, but are also the more interesting cards. Class Commons tend to be the more playable cards.

Dahbomb

It absolutely is. One match out of a hundred doesn't change that. I got pretty lucky that he didn't draw any early removal. Everything he played was easy to deal with and pumped the Trogg up more.
That wasn't luck, that's how the match up plays out mathematically though the Renolock usually is dead by turn 6-7 anyway.

Shaman has far more cheap drops than Renolock has cheap answers. If Shaman plays a Tunnel Trogg on turn 1 then Renolock has no answer for it aside from Dark Bomb which is 1 card out of 30. And then Shaman plays a Totem Golem (which he also has two of) which Renolock has no answer to.

Board clears don't do much against Shaman as by the time your Hellfire and Shadowflame are usable the Shaman minions have done their face damage... and that opens up the chance for Shaman to finish the game with Rockbiter combo and spells from hand.

The only way Renolock wins this match up is by the following stuff lining up:

Turn 1 Zombie Chow (only 1 in deck), Turn 2 Dark Peddler or Dark Bomb, Turn 3 Imp Gang Boss or Demonwrath, Turn 4 Refreshment Vendor/Senjin, Turn 5 Healbot, Turn 6 Reno. If these things don't happen then he needs a Molten Giant in hand to somehow race the Shaman victory by getting a very fast Molten out.

If these things don't happen then the Renolock is forced to tap which makes the Shaman player FROTH in the mouth. That's usually how these turn 4-5 lethals happen against Warlock anyway, they tap a couple of times at start and then they just died before they get their answers.

You should realize this by now but this game is about one person asking questions and the other person having to answer. However, the person who is asking the question is always at an advantage because if the other person doesn't have an answer they lose. Renolock is a peculiar deck because it runs one answers for questions which screws it over quite a bit. Not having twice the chance to answer a Tunnel Trogg with a Dark Bomb can easily result in the Trogg going ham.

Apathy

Nobody wants to see Huhu-chan T_T

Giant bugs are scary

So far we saw the class legendary and two spells. I'm hoping there will be a cthun card for each class at least

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Here is the art for the Shadow Beast Token:
Dwd5WfO.png

Ladekabel

It absolutely is. One match out of a hundred doesn't change that. I got pretty lucky that he didn't draw any early removal. Everything he played was easy to deal with and pumped the Trogg up more.

The only removal Renolock has is one Darkbomb. Demonwrath does nothing against most things a Shaman can drop, Hellfire can be counter productive and Shadowflame is pretty much useless until later turns.

Meanwhile the Aggro Shaman vomits his minions and spells on the board and enjoys smacking the face.

Kunohara

Reached rank 5 yesterday. Probably the fastest I've ever reached it. Played nothing but tempo mage and mech shaman. It was pretty satisfying when I reached it because at the same time I got 250 wins with mage, got my mage quest completed, and got the 3 wins for 10g.

Perfect timing to reach it too since I get to try out Overwatch this weekend.

Obscura

Out of curiosity, is there a lore reason for the new hero portrait being mage? I don't know anything about WoW. Seems bizarre based on how many classes don't have alts.

greepoman

Really weird. Like Why Frost Nova? No damage there, at least the others do something active, just stalling as a Tempo mage seems really pointless.

I think what happens is people will lose to certain things over and over so they sub cards for those certain situations not realizing how it affects the deck overall. I ran across someone playing traditional zoo and started to gain board back turn 7 only for him to twisting nether. Was not expecting that so I was like maybe it's not zoo...but he just plays more zoo cards for the rest of his deck til I fatigue him.

That wasn't luck, that's how the match up plays out mathematically though the Renolock usually is dead by turn 6-7 anyway.

Shaman has far more cheap drops than Renolock has cheap answers. If Shaman plays a Tunnel Trogg on turn 1 then Renolock has no answer for it aside from Dark Bomb which is 1 card out of 30. And then Shaman plays a Totem Golem (which he also has two of) which Renolock has no answer to.

Board clears don't do much against Shaman as by the time your Hellfire and Shadowflame are usable the Shaman minions have done their face damage... and that opens up the chance for Shaman to finish the game with Rockbiter combo and spells from hand.

The only way Renolock wins this match up is by the following stuff lining up:

Turn 1 Zombie Chow (only 1 in deck), Turn 2 Dark Peddler or Dark Bomb, Turn 3 Imp Gang Boss or Demonwrath, Turn 4 Refreshment Vendor/Senjin, Turn 5 Healbot, Turn 6 Reno. If these things don't happen then he needs a Molten Giant in hand to somehow race the Shaman victory by getting a very fast Molten out.

If these things don't happen then the Renolock is forced to tap which makes the Shaman player FROTH in the mouth. That's usually how these turn 4-5 lethals happen against Warlock anyway, they tap a couple of times at start and then they just died before they get their answers.

You should realize this by now but this game is about one person asking questions and the other person having to answer. However, the person who is asking the question is always at an advantage because if the other person doesn't have an answer they lose. Renolock is a peculiar deck because it runs one answers for questions which screws it over quite a bit. Not having twice the chance to answer a Tunnel Trogg with a Dark Bomb can easily result in the Trogg going ham.
I love everything I'm hearing here. He actually got the Zombie Chow drop, but my turn 1 hand was Trogg + coin + Lightning Bolt, and that was the end of that.

I've also taken to keeping Whirl-o-matic, or whatever it's called, in my opening hand if I'm playing turn 2. Turn 1 coin into that thing can have amazing results. I hit a Paladin for 12 on turn 2.

The only removal Renolock has is one Darkbomb. Demonwrath does nothing against most things a Shaman can drop, Hellfire can be counter productive and Shadowflame is pretty much useless until later turns.

Meanwhile the Aggro Shaman vomits his minions and spells on the board and enjoys smacking the face.
Sounds amazing.

Tempo Mage running Blizzard, Frost Nova and Pryoblast.

Okay then.
I've fought a lot of Tempo Mage decks with Pyroblast.

Reached rank 5 yesterday. Probably the fastest I've ever reached it. Played nothing but tempo mage and mech shaman. It was pretty satisfying when I reached it because at the same time I got 250 wins with mage, got my mage quest completed, and got the 3 wins for 10g.

Perfect timing to reach it too since I get to try out Overwatch this weekend.
Duelyst gives you 15g/2 wins, and it has made me realize that I would MUCH rather Hearthstone give me 10g/2 wins instead of 10g/3 wins. 3 wins just feels like so many sometimes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Out of curiosity, is there a lore reason for the new hero portrait being mage? I don't know anything about WoW. Seems bizarre based on how many classes don't have alts.

My bet it Blizard decided to do this somewhat last minute, and likely didn't want to waste a "Real" Alternative hero on a week long promotion. So they needed a character who isn't a card, who they didn't already have other plans for, and they had or could get recorded lines for quickly.

Tacitus_

I think what happens is people will lose to certain things over and over so they sub cards for those certain situations not realizing how it affects the deck overall. I ran across someone playing traditional zoo and started to gain board back turn 7 only for him to twisting nether. Was not expecting that so I was like maybe it's not zoo...but he just plays more zoo cards for the rest of his deck til I fatigue him.

There was that one chinese tempo/face mage deck that had frost novas and ice blocks in it. Might've even had doomsayers.

Pooya

well, yes. Khadgar is a very notable mage, he's been around long before wow. He has to be a mage hero.

Why they picked a mage hero for this promo? So that more people buy it. It being 3rd mage hero makes it that if people missed out on it, it's not a big deal. If they put a priest or rogue hero for example, it would be a bad move as it's the only/first hero for those classes.

if that new mage card wasnt 4 mana, I'd say it would be very nice. Fits the theme well and isn't as dumb as flamewalker. Well it could be but I doubt it

Tarazet

As a Warrior I play around freezing by not drawing any weapons.

Patron is pretty good against Tempo Mage actually, and REALLY good against Freeze. If you get a Water Elemental, nothing wrong with removing it with your face. What is he going to do? Ooze your weapon the next turn while you're still frozen anyway, and proc your deathrattle to strengthen your board?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Amaz is revealing his card on YouTube pretty soon. Sounds like we'll hear about Huhu tomorrow even though they don't normally reveal cards on weekends.

I hope Blizzard also reveals some cards before the stream next week. I need my fix. D=

Top Bottom