• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

yea I think that new priest card isn't bad. It isn't a dead card against aggro/tempo and not a dead card against control so I feel like it could be a staple in a sort of midrange style priest deck

Owzers

Lost against a dragon priest that had holy nova turn 5, lightbomb turn 6, another lightbomb turn 8. I thought after the first lightbomb i was safe and had a great board about to get competitive spirited, but there was no retribution. This is the real reason for standard, need to give secret paladins a chance.

gutshot

Lost against a dragon priest that had holy nova turn 5, lightbomb turn 6, another lightbomb turn 8. I thought after the first lightbomb i was safe and had a great board about to get competitive spirited, but there was no retribution. This is the real reason for standard, need to give secret paladins a chance.

lol no

Pooya

just lost to freaking mill rogue and mech shaman back to back, feelsbadman.

Actually it was fun, I rather lose to these than zoo or paladin rubble. Mill rogue if draws well is so fun and interactive.

Apathy

what? lol. funny funny joke. yeah, secret paladins are victims of priest violence

ViviOggi

No retribution, only justice now

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Another point in favor of that priest Shade, with a deathrattle you can discover it from Museum Curator. And in Standard you'll have a pretty decent chance of seeing it. In that case it sort of makes Curator a 3 for 1. 1/2 for 2, 4/3 for 4 and another card. The Value is so real!

ricelord

8koI94S.png

not bad. its a mindstreal shedder.

TheBez

At a minimum you cut Elise for a second Shredder. Or at least another fast card like a second Blessing of Might. I can't even begin to fathom why she is in that deck.

She is actually pretty good in the deck in my experience. It can be easy to draw Map/Monkey with two Divine Favors and if the games go long she can help you get back some steam.

I do agree that there should be 2 Shredders in here though. I did not have every card in his original list so just swapped something I was missing for the other Shredder.

yea I think that new priest card isn't bad. It isn't a dead card against aggro/tempo and not a dead card against control so I feel like it could be a staple in a sort of midrange style priest deck

3 health for 4 mana isn't dead against aggro? That is pretty dead.

I think the card is unplayable in every class, but especially priest. You already can't fit in good cards.

That said, if you steal a c'thun, does it still get buffed?

3 health for 4 mana isn't dead against aggro? That is pretty dead.

I think the card is unplayable in every class, but especially priest. You already can't fit in good cards.

That said, if you steal a c'thun, does it still get buffed?

it's less of a dead card compared to thoughsteal against aggro

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
it's less of a dead card compared to thoughsteal against aggro

Yeah if you have Thoughtsteal against aggro that'll give you a major sad. Thoughtstealing into a leper gnome and a haunted creeper is kind of a nightmare. If you could consistently get a 1 mana 4/3 off a Thoughtsteal that would put in a much more impactful body than you usually might have otherwise. That gives the card more consistency than thoughtsteal and pulls the effect out of a niche card and puts it into something that's a bit more general purpose.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Card seems fine but...I dunno. With all the tools they're losing I'm not really seeing Priest come together for standard.

Malice215

Don't see people trying to fit a slow 4/3 at 4 mana into their decks just to get a random card and lose to a 2 drop. Good pick out of Curator though.

Mirimar

Lightbomb is an overpowered card, they dont need another clear on that level.

Lightbomb is not overpowered. You're typically using you're entire turn playing it and it has the potential to wipe your own board. It's not hard to play around, but with this meta where you vomit your entire hand by turn 6, it's the opponents's fault for playing into it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Reluctantly bought Khadgar, since i'm a sucker for limited time stuff. I'm sick of the regular mage, and medivh is too expensive. Bought the pre-order whispers packs too!

Yeah if you have Thoughtsteal against aggro that'll give you a major sad. Thoughtstealing into a leper gnome and a haunted creeper is kind of a nightmare. If you could consistently get a 1 mana 4/3 off a Thoughtsteal that would put in a much more impactful body than you usually might have otherwise. That gives the card more consistency than thoughtsteal and pulls the effect out of a niche card and puts it into something that's a bit more general purpose.

yea honestly I feel the card is supposed to be a nice card to get from curator as ppl said for a 4 drop and it feels like a very split 50/50 tempo vs control card. It kinda helps in all matchups but obviously isn't the most optimal choice when against a certain matchup

I hate when I can't do basic ass math and it costs me a game. Didn't have the 2 mana I needed to play Iron Beak Owl.

Shit makes me feel stupid as hell sometimes.

I know how you feel, one game I thought I had lethal but I didn't realize I had 9 mana not 10.

Still, after like 2 months of feeling like I wasn't getting any better I feel like I'm actually learning from my mistakes and making better plays.

Mulgrok

Lightbomb is not overpowered. You're typically using you're entire turn playing it and it has the potential to wipe your own board. It's not hard to play around, but with this meta where you vomit your entire hand by turn 6, it's the opponents's fault for playing into it.

Except that 99% of priest minions have more health than damage so it does nothing to them.

peakish

Why isn't that card Deathrattle: Discover a card from your opponents deck?

Really don't understand why Discover is being discarded in favour of pure RNG in this set.

Edit: Well, I sort of understand that discover can't be a thing during your opponents turn, but ehhhhh.

KuroNeeko

Except that 99% of priest minions have more health than damage so it does nothing to them.

I'm sorry, I don't agree with this at all.

I would say I play Lightbomb to stabilize the board and it usually costs me both Tempo (initiative) and my turn. It's mostly a reset button.

True, there are times when I have minions survive, but unless you follow with CoH (or LoN / hero power), they're severely weakened. Not to mention, it's also just as likely that my opponent has creatures left as well.

The loss of Lightbomb hurts and I have doubts about the future of the priest class. But maybe the meta slown a bit now. LB wasn't OP. It was what Priest needed to survive. It still wasn't enough to make Priest competitive, that didn't come until the addition of Entomb.

Really don't understand why Discover is being discarded in favour of pure RNG in this set.

Edit: Well, I sort of understand that discover can't be a thing during your opponents turn, but ehhhhh.
They could program it to Discover at the start of your next turn. It's just plain poor design born from incredibly bad taste in game mechanics.

The loss of Lightbomb hurts and I have doubts about the future of the priest class. But maybe the meta slown a bit now. LB wasn't OP. It was what Priest needed to survive. It still wasn't enough to make Priest competitive, that didn't come until the addition of Entomb.

Priest will be okay I think. Excavated Evil is a pretty good card that isn't being run right now and if the meta slows down enough to the point where Priest can actually run a Mind Control again they'll be dominating control matchups just fine.

sibarraz

Banned
Priest now has a late game option where they could fill the board easily with

-Museum Curator
-Shifting Shade
-Sylvanas
And n'zoth

Shifting shade could be a decent replacement for thought steal, when even though you can only gain 1 card that is always a minion, you still will get a body.

Now, I don't think that lightbomb will be replaced by excavated evil at all. With LB you could stand a change against secret paladin or handlock, with excavated evil you wouldn't

Apathy

Priest now has a late game option where they could fill the board easily with

-Museum Curator
-Shifting Shade
-Sylvanas

And n'zoth

Shifting shade could be a decent replacement for thought steal, when even though you can only gain 1 card that is always a minion, you still will get a body

did I read it wrong, because I thought it just said a caard, didn't say a minion card

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Why does Tomb Pillager get to be a 5/4 get a coin? Does Deathrattle: get an essentially random card, not valued the same? How about Battlecry: get a card from your opponents deck.

I know how you feel, one game I thought I had lethal but I didn't realize I had 9 mana not 10.

Still, after like 2 months of feeling like I wasn't getting any better I feel like I'm actually learning from my mistakes and making better plays.
Yeah I've definitely gotten better since I started playing, which makes bonehead decisions hurt that much more.
It's MUCH worse when you try to show off an end up missing lethal because you can't count to 10.

Not that I've ever had that happen...
That's pretty much what happened. Had lethal if I silenced the Belcher...instead I wanted to see what I would get out of the Knife Juggler into Unleash the Hounds....oh whoops I can't silence the fucking Belcher now because I have 1 mana.

Yeah I've definitely gotten better since I started playing, which makes bonehead decisions hurt that much more.

That's pretty much what happened. Had lethal if I silenced the Belcher...instead I wanted to see what I would get out of the Knife Juggler into Unleash the Hounds....oh whoops I can't silence the fucking Belcher now because I have 1 mana.

I've been playing for like a year now but I still have those embarrassing brain farts sometimes. FeelsBadMan.

Hycran

Banned
The new priest card is pretty good, but it just feels like with the lack of shredder in standard, yeti or yeti-esque cards are going to be really powerful. Add that silences may be nerfed in some way, and buffing the yeti and continuing to pump value from it may be better than the semi-thoughtsteal. Compare Druid's Klaxi-Amber Weaver to this and be disappointed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Outside of Yeti, what other 5 hp cards are people going to play turn 4? Will people even play Yeti? So far the only new 4 mana cards shown that would survive after trading with it are master of evolution, that the 4 mana divine shield card, and the druid c'thun card.

Apathy

Outside of Yeti, what other 5 hp cards are people going to play turn 4? Will people even play Yeti? So far the only new 4 mana cards shown that would survive after trading with it are master of evolution, that the 4 mana divine shield card, and the druid c'thun card.

druid class card

I think the problem is more that it doesn't necessarily survive trading with a 1 drop.

The question then is what priest card 4 drop are you replacing? In dragon, control or combo, there isn't an option.

Needed to be a 3.

Brofist

I'm sorry, I don't agree with this at all.

I would say I play Lightbomb to stabilize the board and it usually costs me both Tempo (initiative) and my turn. It's mostly a reset button.

True, there are times when I have minions survive, but unless you follow with CoH (or LoN / hero power), they're severely weakened. Not to mention, it's also just as likely that my opponent has creatures left as well.

Lightbomb is OP as fuck. It punishes every single deck from face aggro crap to control decks. Holy Nova and Excavated Evil are more than enough to deal with decks that dump everything on the board. Don't even get me started on the shit card that is Entomb.

Note I'm not saying that those cards make Priest as a class OP, cause it's still low tier garbage.

just played an elise warrior who got up to over 50 armor, played golden monkey after he drew his last card, and then played majordomo the next turn.

I BGHed it and he lost, I honestly don't understand.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
All I play these days is Astral Druid, and it's honestly saving this game for me in the wait for this expansion. It's so incredibly fun.

Top Bottom