• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

It really makes no sense.

It's probably the same reason they've limited the deck slots to 9 for so long, and then added more because they were forced to by including wild, and then only included it by removing basic deck slots and putting the extra deck slots there.

I imagine either the UI designers are completely inflexible in their UI design, or the software developers developed an unscalable mess for the menu. Most of their most baffling decisions would be explained by that.

World of Warcraft is renown for ridiculously messy and inflexible code among programmers.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It should be $16 per legendary. I believe you get an average of 100 dust per pack (Even if the majority of packs are 40 dust)

15 packs are $20, and the median is a lot lower than the average thanks to large outlier 400 dust packs, making it fairly likely you go through those 15 packs without getting one of those amazing packs to boost your average to 100.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Share the details. It's my dream deck.

I messed around with one several seasons back, unless you are hitting lots of control, it is gonna lose a ton of games. That's said, when it works its pretty great.

Dreadsteed, Implosion, malganis, Baron Rivendare are essential. Demonwrath is key against aggro (but you're still prolly going to lose). You might be able to run it with Reno now but I've never tried. My deck ran KT too but there's probably something better these days.

Share the details. It's my dream deck.
I really don't know if the deck was good or if it just happened to be good against the unusual Reno Mage deck I was running (which is a solid deck once I get to about rank 7).

For one he ran Reno, but had two Dreadsteed's, so that's already kind of risky. I'll try to go through the cards to remember some of what he had but off the top of my head:

Power Overwhelming
Mortal Coil
Darkbomb
Dark Peddler
Youthful Brewmaster
Sunfury Protector
Demonfire
Demonwrath
Twilight Drake
Imp Gang Boss
Dreadsteed x2
Hellfire
Imp-losion
Shadowflame
Defender of argus
Anima Golem
Siphon Soul
Twisting Nether
Mal'Ganis
Stalagg
Feugen
Molten Giant

That's what I remember of his deck, or at least I believe those were some of the cards and I'm not confusing him with someone else.

But the dude seemed to be struggling hard to make it to the later turns in order to utilize all of this. I just happened to not have enough minions to put down to keep up pressure, plus I was still following my own Reno Mage gameplan instead of adjusting to what he was doing. It definitely seems like a very slow deck that pays off way later.

So like I said, I'm not sure if it's even a viable deck but it definitely looked like it could be fun in the early ranks or possibly against other fatigue/control like decks.

I really don't know if the deck was good or if it just happened to be good against the unusual Reno Mage deck I was running (which is a solid deck once I get to about rank 7).

For one he ran Reno, but had two Dreadsteed's, so that's already kind of risky. I'll try to go through the cards to remember some of what he had but off the top of my head:

Power Overwhelming
Mortal Coil
Darkbomb
Dark Peddler
Youthful Brewmaster
Sunfury Protector
Demonfire
Demonwrath
Twilight Drake
Imp Gang Boss
Dreadsteed x2
Hellfire
Imp-losion
Shadowflame
Defender of argus
Anima Golem
Siphon Soul
Twisting Nether
Mal'Ganis
Stalagg
Feugen
Molten Giant

That's what I remember of his deck, or at least I believe those were some of the cards and I'm not confusing him with someone else.

But the dude seemed to be struggling hard to make it to the later turns in order to utilize all of this. I just happened to not have enough minions to put down to keep up pressure, plus I was still following my own Reno Mage gameplan instead of adjusting to what he was doing. It definitely seems like a very slow deck that pays off way later.

So like I said, I'm not sure if it's even a viable deck but it definitely looked like it could be fun in the early ranks or possibly against other fatigue/control like decks.
No Baron or Kel'Thuzad? He only had two copies on the board?

I messed around with one several seasons back, unless you are hitting lots of control, it is gonna lose a ton of games. That's said, when it works its pretty great.

Dreadsteed, Implosion, malganis, Baron Rivendare are essential. Demonwrath is key against aggro (but you're still prolly going to lose). You might be able to run it with Reno now but I've never tried. My deck ran KT too but there's probably something better these days.

No Baron or Kel'Thuzad? He only had two copies on the board?
Lol I completely forgot about KT, probably because I destroyed him almost immediately. I had 3 Thaurrisan's, hahaha. 2 mana Flamestrike, 1 mana Blizzard, I think I had a 3 mana Dr. Boom and a bunch of 0 mana stuff. Still lost though.

Never played Baron, but I imagine he had to have him, but never drew him/played him.

Edit: damn I can't believe I remembered almost his entire deck. I know he was really close to fatigue.

Hycran

Banned
If Yogg-Saron uses preparation, does it do anything for you?

That's hard to say. If yogg saron doesn't give you overload, it strikes me that it shouldnt give you the bonus reduction from the card. Preparation also says "the next card that you cast", and this could be interpreted either way. The fact that the card is such a clusterfuck really shows its poor design. This card is literally never going to see play other than in concede decks.

Zoggy

That's hard to say. If yogg saron doesn't give you overload, it strikes me that it shouldnt give you the bonus reduction from the card. Preparation also says "the next card that you cast", and this could be interpreted either way. The fact that the card is such a clusterfuck really shows its poor design. This card is literally never going to see play other than in concede decks.

every card isn't meant to be for you, spike

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Unfortunately there's an excessive number of people in this thread (and the Hearthstone community at large) who have absolutely no grasp of this very fundamental, very simple concept.

Hycran

Banned

Unfortunately there's an excessive number of people in this thread (and the Hearthstone community at large) who have absolutely no grasp of this very fundamental, very simple concept.

Passive aggressive and condescending, pretty high tier rebuttals there fellas.

I never said I didn't like the card or that I wouldn't try it or use it or that I won't enjoy seeing it played in trolden videos in the future. What I said is the card is poorly designed, and it is. Blizzard has publicly gone on the record and talked about how unintuitive the deathrattle mechanic was and still is. They've also talked at length about how certain card texts were obtuse or at the very minimum not as clear as they could be. Now, they've introduced a card that not only breaks the fundamental rules of the game in that it is the one casting the spells and not you, but it also has the ability to keep casting spells even after it kills itself, silences itself, polymorphs or transforms itself etc. Someone just posted that prep will work, but what about overload? Why does it randomly choose discover effects for you? Why doesn't it cast uncollectable cards? There is nothing intuitive about the card, therefore, it is poorly designed. Blizzard has talked about the consternation they feel over the original druid of the claw text which is something as simple as choosing one or the other. If you have to ask a litany of questions and the answers aren't immediately apparent, the card is poorly designed.

Refute my point if you will but don't act like a sanctimonious know it all while doing so.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The only unitutive part I can think of is exactly when a Deathrattle goes off is not really clear. Also, the order they go off is never formally explained, and for a while wasn't even consistent (It was ether Naxx or GvG that made it so Deathrattle's would go off in the order they were played)

The only unitutive part I can think of is exactly when a Deathrattle goes off is not really clear. Also, the order they go off is never formally explained, and for a while wasn't even consistent (It was ether Naxx or GvG that made it so Deathrattle's would go off in the order they were played)
That's true, but it's very rarely a factor.

Deathrattle order got me in the beginning, sylvanas taking my newly formed Thaddius.
No doubt, in your first few matches you're still learning all this stuff.

Tarazet

I had two disgusting Combo Druid wins in a row.

First one was against a Reno Mage who dropped a Molten Giant and healed for 24. I dropped Thaurissan and swiped her face, then killed her the next turn with Force, Force, Innervate, Savage Roar. That was after triggering two Counterspells, by the way, one of which would have given me lethal earlier since it countered a Savage Roar.

Second one was against a Dragon Paladin who got out two Faerie Dragons that I couldn't answer and wrecked my face until I finally got a board presence and started to grind my way back from the brink of death. On turn 10, I have my 2/4 Keeper on the board and he is at 20 health. Force, Roar, Living Roots for perfect lethal.

I know people hate playing against this deck, but I'm going to miss it. I think it is and has always been better than Secret Paladin.

Hycran

Banned

It used to be a mess in GVG/Naxx (Pogchamp) but even think about it now. Sylvanas literally says "take control of a random enemy minion". If you play Sylvanas and kill a haunted creeper that was played after it, sylvanas will steal nothing and the enemy will get two minions, neither one being stolen. Obviously we understand the interaction because we know it is order of play, but even that isn't explained and deathrattles have multiple other unique interactions beyond that.

Now compare something as simple as that to Yogg, its a train wreck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Passive aggressive and condescending, pretty high tier rebuttals there fellas.

I never said I didn't like the card or that I wouldn't try it or use it or that I won't enjoy seeing it played in trolden videos in the future. What I said is the card is poorly designed, and it is. Blizzard has publicly gone on the record and talked about how unintuitive the deathrattle mechanic was and still is. They've also talked at length about how certain card texts were obtuse or at the very minimum not as clear as they could be. Now, they've introduced a card that not only breaks the fundamental rules of the game in that it is the one casting the spells and not you, but it also has the ability to keep casting spells even after it kills itself, silences itself, polymorphs or transforms itself etc. Someone just posted that prep will work, but what about overload? Why does it randomly choose discover effects for you? Why doesn't it cast uncollectable cards? There is nothing intuitive about the card, therefore, it is poorly designed. Blizzard has talked about the consternation they feel over the original druid of the claw text which is something as simple as choosing one or the other. If you have to ask a litany of questions and the answers aren't immediately apparent, the card is poorly designed.

Refute my point if you will but don't act like a sanctimonious know it all while doing so.

This argument has been made in this thread before. I'll say now what I said, then.

This card is so freaking crazy that understanding all of the different edge cases and interactions is pointless. You aren't going to play this card because you're looking to Preparation into lethal. Whether or not the card will overload you is irrelevant to when you choose to include it in a deck or when you choose to play it.

This is a card where you play it hoping that enough random stuff happens that maybe it saves you. Once you learn that the card can do things like kill your own minions or throw burn spells at your own face, you've learned everything you need to know about it. You play it, random shit happens, maybe it'll work out for you, and maybe it will backfire spectacularly. Analyzing the precise order of how everything happens and then complaining that a particular set of dice rolls occurred in a manner that isn't immediately intuitive is kind of missing the point of the card.

Not knowing what is going to happen is precisely the point of the card.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel knowing what the card can and can't do is pretty helpful.

"Yogg-Saron will do the effect of one random collectable spell for every spell card you have played this game. The card can interact with your mana, but can't overload you. The card will act as if you are the caster of the spells it plays. The spells it plays aren't counted as played cards or played spells. Combo effects won't happen unless you played another card before this one. This card can kill, remove, or transform itself, but it will finish its battle cry. If given a choice, it will pick a choice at random. "

There, the entire quirkiness of Yogg-Saron explained. (I think)

Hycran

Banned
This argument has been made in this thread before. I'll say now what I said, then.

This card is so freaking crazy that understanding all of the different edge cases and interactions is pointless. You aren't going to play this card because you're looking to Preparation into lethal. Whether or not the card will overload you is irrelevant to when you choose to include it in a deck or when you choose to play it.

This is a card where you play it hoping that enough random stuff happens that maybe it saves you. Once you learn that the card can do things like kill your own minions or throw burn spells at your own face, you've learned everything you need to know about it. You play it, random shit happens, maybe it'll work out for you, and maybe it will backfire spectacularly. Analyzing the precise order of how everything happens and then complaining that a particular set of dice rolls occurred in a manner that isn't immediately intuitive is kind of missing the point of the card.

Not knowing what is going to happen is precisely the point of the card.

There is a difference between not knowing what is going to happen and not knowing why it is happening. I can't say I agree at all with your opinion, so we can leave it at that.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I feel knowing what the card can and can't do is pretty helpful.

"Yogg-Saron will do the effect of one random collectable spell for every spell card you have played this game. The card can interact with your mana, but can't overload you. The card will act as if you are the caster of the spells it plays. The spells it plays aren't counted as played cards or played spells. Combo effects won't happen unless you played another card before this one. This card can kill, remove, or transform itself, but it will finish its battle cry. If given a choice, it will pick a choice at random. "

There, the entire quirkiness of Yogg-Saron explained. (I think)

I mean, yes, it's nice to understand what the card can do. But it is not truly helpful in any actual definition of the word. If it's played against you late game, you understanding its intricacies will not save you, nor will it play any actual role if you end up winning. You're either going to lose, or win, entirely randomly.

Same if you're the one playing it. Nobody is going to be able to examine this card to the point that they make it reliable or competitively viable. But as has been said so many times, that is so not the point of the card.

This entire discussion only further proves my point that some people just don't seem to understand that the game can be approached from multiple perspectives, not all of which are about maximum efficiency and maximum winrate. Some people prefer to play Randuin Wrynn or Astral Druid. Those same people will enjoy a Yogg Saron deck.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Woo, within one day I conquered League of explorers on heroic! What a crazy ride it was. I forgot it was a lot shorter than the other adventures, which kind of disappointed me when it was all said and done. Looking forward to the next expansion, they are so much fun.

Haunted

Had a hard time laddering with control warrior, but the deck is fun
Control warrior (either variant with Varian for tempo + the Alex/Grom burst finish OR going for fatigue with Jeweled Scarab and Elise) are among the most fun decks in the game, imo.

Not the greatest winrate lately, but I'm still loving them.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not so sure about that. A ton of cards in hearthstone are get more ahead cards, but the rare important cards are the ones that turn a losing game into a winning one. Yogg might be a dead card when you're winning, but there's no reason to not play it in a losing situation in hopes you get lucky and end up winning.

He Pyroblasts your face and you're ok with it because you would have lost anyhow. He clears the opponent board and draws you a few cards and you've pretty much won the game.

When looking at these simulators, good results seem plenty more likely than bad results.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jeez...got a spectate quest and got a really nice pack.

vggdin5.png

I actually have 3 golden master of disgises now, which is going to be funny if they do nerf her. Sadly I just crafted Rag within the last month or so, but eh.

Ah fuck that's good, I'm leaning towards playing some more Hunter in the new expansion. Apparently they want Hunter to be the deathrattle class.

I'm assuming you can pick which Deathrattle you want to activate since it doesn't say "random".

Pooya

Class legendary cards have been quite interesting this set more than any new set before, well yeah priest one sucks, beside that.

Really want to see warrior one now, they're saving it for the last. probably have to wait until the last stream to see that.

Eloise's Nozdormu booly deck is absolutely disgusting.

(The combo is to Emperor, then throw down Nozdormu + 2x Curse of Rafaam, preventing the opponent from taking actions as the effects resolve. If Emperor lives, it's literally impossible to respond as his animation goes on the stack as well.)

Pooya

Eloise's Nozdormu booly deck is absolutely disgusting.

(The combo is to Emperor, then throw down Nozdormu + 2x Curse of Rafaam, preventing the opponent from taking actions as the effects resolve. If Emperor lives, it's literally impossible to respond as his animation goes on the stack as well.)

the counter is to click curse icon (not the card in your hand, the one that shows up during on screen) during the animation, it skips the animation giving you a small window to kill Noz. It's so bad though, it's the kind of exploit that get hotfixed in some other game and possibly have people banned even but in HS...if you're on mobile it's gg.

Apathy

the counter is to click curse icon (not the card in your hand, the one that shows up during on screen) during the animation, it skips the animation giving you a small window to kill Noz. It's so bad though, it's the kind of exploit that get hotfixed in some other game and possibly have people banned even but in HS...if you're on mobile it's gg.

If it's true that they tested yogg with noz and it's fine, then they better have fixed noz with everything come the expansion.

Top Bottom