• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wow the stats on the hunter legendary are really good. Is this the first 6/5 for 5 ever? This thing has a chance to make a really fun deck in Wild. Hopefully there are one or two decent deathrattles coming in the set, because as it is there isn't much to use this on in standard.

Stalagg and Salty Dog are 7-4, Feugen is 4-7. I believe that's it for 5 mana cards that go over 10 worth of stats on a single minion with no drawback or condition.

Apathy

And there was an extent to which that would be reasonable to compete with GvG and Naxx cards, but they had already decided to do formats at that point and wanted to start ramping the power level down.

I tend to agree with you. their power level compared to gvg and naxx seem to imply they knew what they were going to do, and if they made them competitive stats wise then when they ditched gvg and naxx then the tgt cards would still be a nuisance in standard.

ViviOggi

Getting put at 14 by double charge face into combo with lethal on board in arena
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I tend to agree with you. their power level compared to gvg and naxx seem to imply they knew what they were going to do, and if they made them competitive stats wise then when they ditched gvg and naxx then the tgt cards would still be a nuisance in standard.

The community event was even in September 2015 just after the expansion came out, so presumably they'd been thinking of it for at least a few months: http://www.polygon.com/features/201...ity-inside-blizzard-s-radical-new-approach-to

Owzers

I hate being ranked 7/6, so close to the goal of dust but you just want it to be over and are hoping for win streaks but then get sent back to 7.

Apathy

Fuck I hate that damn RNG portal. I will never, ever, ever do wild because of shit like that

I'll be glad when the expansion comes out and I can be a dick bag with keeper of uldaman. How that card is even fair is beyond me

Mulgrok

I can't wait for Old Gods to release so I can go infinite in arena again. Averaging 3 wins is not worth my time. Especially after the last week I got minimum gold reward every run for 15 runs... even at 12 wins. So I ran out of gold fast.

I hate being ranked 7/6, so close to the goal of dust but you just want it to be over and are hoping for win streaks but then get sent back to 7.
I have a witness: I fought 8 Warlocks in a row while trying to climb last night. Miserable experience. I had one last win to get to 5, and battle.net kicked me. Then I fell down to rank 6 with no stars. Won one, lost one. I queued up for one last match, and hit "Cancel" during the slot machine screen. It canceled the match. When I logged back in later, Hearthstone said I "disconnected" from my match and gave me a loss.

What the fuck, Blizzard? How can a massive company be so bad at programming that a canceling a match search could give me a loss?

Apathy

I got too much bad luck to be playing deathlords

Yup, fuck me right, back to back deathlords gave my opponent injured blademaster. Yup, No one has worse luck in this game than I do

I just hope they keep around the discover and inspire(maybe) keywords instead of abandoning them all together. Especially discover is too good to ignore.

I wouldn't say they are throwing them away. Discover did really well, so I definitely see it coming back. I always though Inspire was cool, but between the Meta and the low power of Inspire effects, it just got ran over.

My guess is that they're going to see how Standard turns out. Looking for answers to questions like; Will the game slow down enough, or at all? Does giving new players a Legendary and an easy deck to build around it actually help them? Have we contained the massive fire that is Paladin? While there is some design foresight, you never really know how things are going to turn out exactly.

I'm sure they'll even keep a close eye on Wild. They make it sound like it'll be completely ignored, "Oh, Wild will be just that, Wild!", but they still have to make sure that people can play that ladder legitimately in some way.

So it really just depends on how the game turns out. 'Old' Mechanics have been reused before. For an example of old mechanics getting reused again, look at Gorillabot. It's a Mech, has the Mech mechanic, but it also includes discover. It's proof of returning to an old mechanic but in a new light.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Turns out Reno Palidan is extremely good in this meta where midrange isn't very popular. Heal out of aggro range, and out heal control decks all the way to fatigue. Just can't allow yourself to get out tempoed to where they're doing 15 damage a turn with minions on board, because you can't out heal that.

Palidan in general is getting a huge nerf in standard, but maybe reno healidan won't be so bad with Lightlord Ragnoros to further your game plan to keep your health at 30 forever. Too bad it'll be hard countered by the upcoming OP midrange shaman deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Priest seems like an obvious choice for a deck that tries to dig for a card and live to turn 10.

Their deck choices also get rough next year when TGT, BRM, and LoE rotate out, so they need a new archetype eventually.

Warlock and Mage also seem fairly thematic, and Warlock have a lot of tools to dig so I thought they'd naturally make a lot of sense for a C'Thun deck.

Rockyrock

I can't wait for Old Gods to release so I can go infinite in arena again. Averaging 3 wins is not worth my time. Especially after the last week I got minimum gold reward every run for 15 runs... even at 12 wins. So I ran out of gold fast.

same.

if youre not drafting Mage/Pally/Rogue right now you might as well just retire your deck and save yourself them time.

even with good decks im capping out at around 5-6 wins at the moment. It sucks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Huh, that Druid taunt seems solid even used outside of a C'Thun deck.

I actually wonder how many class cards there will be that interact with him regarding arena, since they don't show up. That would mean Druid atleast sorta misses out on having another common, so far the other class ones have been rare iirc.

Would anyone be interested in having a discord server for hearthstone gaf? If you're unfamiliar with what discord is exactly, it's a chat/voip app that is completely free plus you can access it from pretty much any device and your browser. It's also very well designed from what I've seen from it.

I read the splatoon-gaf community has been using it since it is apparently even usable from consoles.

Would anyone be interested in having a discord server for hearthstone gaf? If you're unfamiliar with what discord is exactly, it's a chat/voip app that is completely free plus you can access it from pretty much any device and your browser. It's also very well designed from what I've seen from it.

I read the splatoon-gaf community has been using it since it is apparently even usable from consoles.
We actually already have one
More dead than Warsong Commander

ViviOggi

It's about average for Mage, more situational cards than you'd like but you have a consistent aggro/light midrange curve, solid minion quality and all the big removals. Board clears would be nice but they're not that necessary in a deck like this.

The fact that such a draft can be considered average or even shitty is just gross though. Thankfully OG will shift arena back towards classic a bit.

Rip Discord

Dahbomb

We already have one.

https://discord.gg/0toKlsZnJWwzlMEg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if that Druid Card implies not all classes with have specific C'Thun minions.

Then again, when reading the announcement again, it says 16 minions will BUFF C'Thun. The Druid 4 mana 4/5 and the Warrior 7 mana 6/6 do not buff C'thun, even if they do interact with him.

Something that is a bit interesting, Ben Brode said in his Twitch Stream he doesn't feel Ironbeak Owl and BGH need to be nerfed, but they should not be in classic/evergreen. I wonder if that means they will actually add them to some 'banned list'.

Pooya

I've been beating control warriors all day with maly rogue, good deck. oil is so frustrating in comparison, I enjoy watching people getting desperate to kill gadgetzan or emperor. I'm beating face shaman too actually, it's not that bad. I think it might not be an awful idea to play gadgetzan in oil too, the slow part really is malygos itself, lifecoach deck was quite interesting a few months back, without oil even . There is a body which you can use and it draws more than sprint anyway, sure you can't play it on turn 4 and the deck becomes harder to pilot, if you're sprinting against aggro, you're probably done for anyway. gadgetzan makes people stupid. It also heals you for 4 which you can use. Screw sprint, awful card. With tomb pillager it works consistently enough now, with Xaril it can get really great.

the deck recipe plays one sprint, one gadgetzan which is an interesting approach I guess. you might not be able to draw with gadgetzan all the time.

Apathy

Even without BGH it's dumb to go all in with one minion and not expect to be punished.

Yup, any incidental damage + execute on it. This is just trying to be greedy with a big minion and that usually gets punished.

Someone did a summary of Ben's recent stream in reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/4f8u6c/ben_brodes_stream_notes_17april16/

Found this interesting:

The Djinni of Zephyrs and Entomb interaction (Play Entomb on an enemy minion, Djinni on board gets sent to your deck too) is correct in Ben Brode's eyes, but he believes he is in the minority on this.

That's messed up cause you used entomb on an enemy minion first.

Dahbomb

Reading some deck recipes by Blizzard and stumbled upon their recipe for Face Hunter:

"This Hunter deck is one of the most aggressive in the game. Remember: If you are not attacking their hero, you're probably doing it wrong!"

AYY LMAO!

And looking at the cards they have put in the decks... no Owls in any of them (usually it has Spellbreaker). Seems like Owl is down for a nerf in the future.

If they want to straight up ban certain cards from standard instead of nerfing I'm fine with that too, I'm sure wild will eventually become so dumb that BGH and Owl won't even be good anymore.

Fishlake

I think a lot of you are going to be disappointed with the meta in standard.

It's only a changing meta when expansions come out plus the end of the year drop off.

You are not going to get a meta changing faster then it does now.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think a lot of you are going to be disappointed with the meta in standard.

It's only a changing meta when expansions come out plus the end of the year drop off.

You are not going to get a meta changing faster then it does now.

That IS more change than we have now. That's the whole point. The longer the current system goes on, the less the meta changes with each expansion. In standard, it will always change at least two or three times a year.

Fishlake

That IS more change than we have now. That's the whole point. The longer the current system goes on, the less the meta changes with each expansion. In standard, it will always change at least two or three times a year.

But its not really, you are going to have roughly the same amount of cards in standard as we do currently.

It really is not any more change from what the past year has been.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
But its not really, you are going to have roughly the same amount of cards in standard as we do currently.

Who are these people who apparently believe the Standard meta is going to change every month? The point is that the format changes are necessary going forward or the meta will inevitably become increasingly stagnant.

There's not any inherent problem with how the meta was laid out for the past year. It was only a problem because an overbearing and OP deck in Patron was allowed to run rampant for way too long, and the current stretch between new cards is a couple months too long.

Acerac

Banned

Worst case we'll have two formats to hop between, meaning that even if there is no more variety in the game per format we will essentially have twice the amount of decks to play before growing bored with them.

Who are these people who apparently believe the Standard meta is going to change every month? The point is that the format changes are necessary going forward or the meta will inevitably become increasingly stagnant.

The problem I see is that the meta will change more each year, but it will also settle down much more quickly. In a community that 99.99% netdecks and with a company like Blizzard designing the cards, I don't see that as a positive change.

For now, all eyes on the nerfs.

Fishlake

Worst case we'll have two formats to hop between, meaning that even if there is no more variety in the game per format we will essentially have twice the amount of decks to play before growing bored with them.

Yeah this is the huge plus from now on.

I was just getting the feeling that quite a few people expect it to change even more then it does now which is not what is going to happen. Not just on Neogaf.

jgminto

As a newer player, what's the best way to get cards?
Arena is usually the best way to spend gold once you're confident with drafting a deck and playing for tempo. Before that, it's probably best to go for expansions though I'm not sure where to start since Naxx is rotating out.

Sajjaja

Will definitely look into that.

I will probably drop some money on an adventure since they look fun, the question is which one haha.

Arena is usually the best way to spend gold once you're confident with drafting a deck and playing for tempo. Before that, it's probably best to go for expansions though I'm not sure where to start since Naxx is rotating out.

How would one get comfortable drafting a deck?

Avoid arena until the expansion and after the expansion. You will just be donating gold to other players.

The best way to get gold is craft a cheap aggro deck. Then when the expansion hits you can do even better as you shit on people trying to experiment with new decks.

Ah, this game sometimes.

Playing Reno Paladin, get matched up with a face Hunter. I play my Reno to heal from 3, he doesn't give up. Couple turns later Saraad gives me Shadowstep lol.

Dahbomb

How would one get comfortable drafting a deck?
Comfortable drafting a deck for arena?

Use Heartharena. It has a tool that can help you draft your cards. It's very effective for new players, you just plug in the cards you get as choices and it will give you the best choice out of those.

That said you have to be decent at the game to do reasonably well at Arena which means getting 5-6 wins on average.

For most new players it's best to play Standard because it has a limited card pool. Only BRM and LoE are valid adventures for Standard so those are the ones you want to drop money on (it's more efficient to spend money on Adventures than packs).

For Constructed play you should look up the cheap aggressive decks online and try to craft them (which would mean disenchanting some of your rarer cards). Your goal should be to reach rank 5 every month which gives you a good amount of dust every month that can be used to craft better stuff.

And concentrate on acquiring Classic packs for now as they will always be valid in Standard.

I wouldn't play Arena until the expansion hits though. Mostly because Arena is still giving GvG packs as rewards which wouldn't be of much use to you (unless I am mistaken, haven't played Arena in a while). That and there's an influx of newer players at the start of new expansions where as just before an expansion is about to release (which is now) that's where all the Arena shark are that have weeded out the newer players.

Azure Drake, Saraad, two Silver Hand Recruits on the board. Saraad gives me Everyfin is Awesome. Druid has to use FoN + SRx2 just to clear my board.

Fuckin love Saraad so much. Just going to shove it in all my decks once Standard rolls around.

Top Bottom