• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

All cards are balanced around the current mechanics, those changes would completely destroy the meta. It's like if you said "hey what if Street Fighter characters all had half their health?"
This wouldn't affect Street Fighter at all, but I know what you are trying to say.

Props to blizzard designing a game my 3 yr old can play. He wanted to play after he saw me playing and to my surprise he's able to play full games against the innkeeper without my help.

Here's a quick video...

https://youtu.be/R9kfjcfdv-o

His favorite card is "the witch" aka Dr boom. I guess even he knows it's OP.
Make a Secret Paladin deck and see how far he gets in ranked.

All of the heal/direct damage (to heroes) just got a huge nerf under your new ruleset and all the slower/late game oriented card got a lot stronger. Alexstrasza also became god tier. That extra wiggle room of HP would make Warlock the best class in the game assuming Combo Druid and Freeze Mage got nerfed.

If hand size isn't increased then Mill strategies would dominate because more HP = slower meta and more draws per turn = more mill opportunity. It would be extremely savage. But if you increase hand size that just makes Handlock even stronger...
Alex is getting nerfed anyway because she's stupid. Otherwise I agree.

i used to play this a bit but stopped as it felt a little stale. i heard Standard rotation (a la MTG) is coming to Hearthstone and i had a few questions:

-what's being cycled out and when?
-what must-have cards are out there that will be sticking around for a while?
1) GvG and Naxx; end of this month-ish.
2) Too soon to say, but probably Classic legendaries like Ragnaros.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
1. All Naxx and GvG cards, plus Captain's Parrot and Old Murk-Eye will not be playable in Standard. Wild will allow all formats. The patch should be around the same time Old Gods goes live, later this month.

2. There will be significant nerfs to cards so its hard to say. Stuff that has been good and will always be good like Azure Drake are safe bets.

This wouldn't affect Street Fighter at all, but I know what you are trying to say.

Make a Secret Paladin deck and see how far he gets in ranked.

Alex is getting nerfed anyway because she's stupid. Otherwise I agree.

1) GvG and Naxx; end of this month-ish.
2) Too soon to say, but probably Classic legendaries like Ragnaros.

interesting.

does it feel like a good time to return to the game? i'm thinking maybe i might drop some money on the new set and go from there

Owzers

interesting.

does it feel like a good time to return to the game? i'm thinking maybe i might drop some money on the new set and go from there

yes, also because when the Old Gods releases they are giving out three free packs as well as the C'thun legendary card and three of his cultists from the set. Also avoid dusting stuff until we see what cards are getting nerfed so you can get full dust value.

Eddie Bax

Just did my first twelve win arena; 12-0 to boot.

Super, super lucky with an absolutely disgusting Mage deck - 3 Mana Wyrms (and I managed to draw or mulligan at least one in my opening hand in 10 of the games), 3 Flamestrikes, 2 Fireballs, 2 Water Elementals, a bunch of ping minions, great curve etc.

Only one game gave me even the slightest bit of trouble, involving a Paladin with a lot of minions, but RNGesus helped out by letting me topdeck my three Flamestrikes in a row.

I feel dirty.

jon bones

Pretty much the best time to get back into the game really.

I'd pick up League of Explorers for sure.

is that one of those several-wing adventures like Naxx? are they still doing that?

i kind of hated having a few important cards gated off in expensive SP content like that

yes, also because when the Old Gods releases they are giving out three free packs as well as the C'thun legendary card and three of his cultists from the set. Also avoid dusting stuff until we see what cards are getting nerfed so you can get full dust value.

awesome, duly noted

Dahbomb

68 cards have been revealed thus far, that makes it EXACTLY half of the set (138).

I do believe there have been enough good cards revealed in the set to change things up especially with the incoming nerfs.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
is that one of those several-wing adventures like Naxx? are they still doing that?

i kind of hated having a few important cards gated off in expensive SP content like that

Yeah they also did Blackrock Mountain and League of Explorer's. Although nowadays you can disenchant the adventure cards you don't want.

Brofist

Sounds like you've made up your mind about LB already, but it is very much a conditional clear. Lightbomb doesn't help me very much with Dragon Hatchlings, Sludge Belchers, Tazz Dingo, Elise, Deathlords, Dragon Decks, Chromaggus, or any other deck that includes creatures with a toughness higher than their power. I mean it helps weaken them up, but other times I'd rather have a Blizzard, Brawl, Flamestrike, or Twisting Nether...

If you think LB is OP, then I imagine you think most other AoE is too...

I don't think any other AoE is as OP as LB.

You give situations where you think other AoE is better than LB but you leave out that with Holy Nova and Excavated Evil priest has those too. Deathrattle minions are a pain for any AoE in the game to deal with, it's not a LB issue.

And yes we can cherry pick a few cards that don't get cleared by it, but most of the time it's wiping boards with legendaries and Giants with little consequence.

jon bones

Yeah they also did Blackrock Mountain and League of Explorer's. Although nowadays you can disenchant the adventure cards you don't want.

can you craft Adventure cards even if you don't own the wings?

i'm looking at what must haves i need to dive back in:

-$20 legends of explorers wings
-$50 pre order of the old gods ser

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Yeah although that's incredibly inefficient money wise. My general advice to anyone playing this game is that if you're willing to spend money on it you should buy the adventures outright. Buying Naxx before it rotates out would be wise for anyone who thinks they may want to play the legacy format.

IvorB

No doubt, but they want you to pay to win.

Yeah I guess. But to be honest playing a stingy f2p game actually puts me off spending money. I'm clearing my daily challenges as they come and then scraping enough for a pack but then you open it and it's full of junk. My last few packs have all been really bad. It's a bit disheartening. I would probably play this game a lot more if there were more ways to earn gold.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I think you can only craft Naxx cards, the other Adventures you still have to buy. Even for the Naxx Cards, they may not be craftable until Old Gods come up.

I can't really see a non-reno deck play the mage 3 mana 2/2. It's not a bad card, I just don't think it strengthens any mage deck.

jon bones

Yeah although that's incredibly inefficient money wise. My general advice to anyone playing this game is that if you're willing to spend money on it you should buy the adventures outright. Buying Naxx before it rotates out would be wise for anyone who thinks they may want to play the legacy format.

what's a more efficient way of getting back into it?

i'm looking to play standard, not legacy

Yeah I guess. But to be honest playing a stingy f2p game actually puts me off spending money. I'm clearing my daily challenges as they come and then scraping enough for a pack but then you open it and it's full of junk. My last few packs have all been really bad. It's a bit disheartening. I would probably play this game a lot more if there were more ways to earn gold.
They want you to open crap, then lose some matches, so you say "Ugh, I just need these cards - I'll buy a few packs to help me get there".

I'd honestly rather spend money on dust than packs, opening packs is for Commons and Rares, what's the chance I'll get the epics and legendaries I need from packs?

what's a more efficient way of getting back into it?

i'm looking to play standard, not legacy

How much of the Classic set do you have? If you're missing a lot of the good Classic cards then that's probably the place to start.

If you have a good bit of the Classic set and want to hit the ground running in Standard I suggest buying League of Explorers for sure.

From what we've seen of Old Gods the pre-order seems like a reasonable investment as well. You get an extra 10 packs for the price and it's a nice way to pick up a lot of the commons and rares from the get go.

Grand Tournament could go either way. It has some nice cards but honestly I don't think you need to drop $50 on it or anything. If you pay for the Old Gods pre-order then you can probably focus on spending your gold on TGT packs until you have most of the core cards.

Blackrock Mountain has a few core cards but most of the cards in the set are either niche or just part of dragon decks. It's worth getting the first wing for Emperor Thaurissan though. The only other really notable non-dragon cards not in the first wing are Imp Gang Boss (2nd), Revenge (4th) and Flamewaker (4th). I would probably suggest getting Blackrock Mountain eventually but I would not label it a priority personally unless you find yourself really wanting to build a deck with cards from it.

I'd honestly rather spend money on dust than packs, opening packs is for Commons and Rares, what's the chance I'll get the epics and legendaries I need from packs?
Totally agreed. If I could just spend $5 for a legendary, I would do it.

Remember peeps
Adventures won't give cards anymore after Standard hits IIRC
Um, this is the first I've heard of that. Citation?

You can't even craft adventure cards without owning the adventure.

jon bones

can you outright buy dust? honestly i'd prefer being able to effectively buy single cards like in MTG or Pokemon online and create a deck that way.

How much of the Classic set do you have? If you're missing a lot of the good Classic cards then that's probably the place to start.

If you have a good bit of the Classic set and want to hit the ground running in Standard I suggest buying League of Explorers for sure.

what are the staples from Classic? i doubt i have them, tbh.

Pooya

finally sat down and played some maly rogue on ladder and got that rank 5 on NA. Already had 5 on EU with brokeback. Golden druid also achieved. Opened a single pack, got Onyxia that I didn't have, it was a good day.

paladin, mage, warrior, rogue, druid. done.

Warlock next but I have to find a good fun deck to play...which I saw one today. I lost to freaking Nozdormu/curse deck Eloise plays on her stream. ayy lmao. When Blizzard is going to fix this card? Actually have Noz too, might as well try.

I guess I start on golden shaman in standard, seems like a good class to play then.

Um, this is the first I've heard of that. Citation?

You can't even craft adventure cards without owning the adventure.

Adventure cards are or will be craftable without owning the wings. They're removing the adventures from the shop that are not standard. This is pretty common knowledge.

Pooya

That only applies to advs that are rotating out, you have to own the wings to get the cards for BRM, LOE for another year. Then you can DE them and craft them back. You won't be able to craft adv cards without buying them first.

what are the staples from Classic? i doubt i have them, tbh.

There's a lot. I'll try to list most of what I think are the core cards in the set. I'm sure I'll miss some and there are probably some on the list that others will disagree with.

If people feel like there are certain cards I should add then I have no problems amending the list.

Code:
[B][U]Druid[/U][/B]
Wrath
Keeper of the Grove (Potential Nerf Candidate)
Druid of the Claw
Force of Nature (Potential Nerf Candidate)
Ancient of Lore (Potential Nerf Candidate)
Ancient of War

[B][U]Hunter[/U][/B]
Explosive Trap
Freezing Trap
Eaglehorn Bow
Unleash the Hounds
Savannah Highmane

[B][U]Mage[/U][/B]
Mana Wyrm
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Counterspell
Mirror Entity
Archmage Antonidas

[B][U]Paladin[/U][/B]
Equality
Aldor Peacekeeper
Lay on Hands
Tirion Fordring

[B][U]Priest[/U][/B]
Circle of Healing
Thoughtsteal
Auchenai Soulpriest
Cabal Shadow Priest

[B][U]Rogue[/U][/B]
Preparation (Potential Nerf Candidate)
Blade Flurry
Eviscerate
SI:7 Agent

[B][U]Shaman[/U][/B]
Earth Shock
Lightning Bolt
Feral Spirit
Lightning Storm
Doomhammer

[B][U]Warlock[/U][/B]
Flame Imp
Power Overwhelming
Shadowflame
Doomguard
Siphon Soul
Lord Jaraxxus

[B][U]Warrior[/U][/B]
Shield Slam
Armorsmith
Cruel Taskmaster
Slam
Frothing Berserker
Brawl
Gorehowl
Grommash Hellscream

[B][U]Neutral[/U][/B]
Abusive Sergeant
Leper Gnome (Potential Nerf Candidate)
Ironbeak Owl (Potential Nerf Candidate)
Knife Juggler (Potential Nerf Candidate)
Sunfury Protector
Wild Pyromancer
Acolyte of Pain
Big Game Hunter (Potential Nerf Candidate)
Earthen Ring Farseer
Defender of Argus
Azure Drake
Harrison Jones
Sylvanas Windrunner
Ragnaros the Firelord
Alexstrasza (Potential Nerf Candidate)
Ysera
Molten Giant (Potential Nerf Candidate)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What cards do you even need from TGT anyway?

Justicar Trueheart, Mysterious Challenger, Totem Golem, Ancestral Knowledge, and the Dragon Priest cards are the only ones I can think of as irreplaceable in the decks they're good for.

There are a few other decent class cards that are good at filling out decks, and a few cards that are key for niche gimmick decks, but nothing hugely impactful. And given how many unplayable cards you get from TGT packs, you're probably better off getting the few good TGT cards you need with the dust you get from classic packs. Plus doing it that way means you don't have to worry about crafting a card you get later through a pack.

Pooya

watching this ONOG thing, vlps drew like 10 cards turn 4 as priest. totally balanced. With how concerned Blizzard seem to be about cheap card draw in general, it's baffling how is this in the game. I can seen circle to be changed, it's really bullshit compared with every other 0 mana spell.

Dahbomb

What cards do you even need from TGT anyway?

Justicar Trueheart, Mysterious Challenger, Totem Golem, Ancestral Knowledge, and the Dragon Priest cards are the only ones I can think of as irreplaceable in the decks they're good for.

There are a few other decent class cards that are good at filling out decks, and a few cards that are key for niche gimmick decks, but nothing hugely impactful. And given how many unplayable cards you get from TGT packs, you're probably better off getting the few good TGT cards you need with the dust you get from classic packs. Plus doing it that way means you don't have to worry about crafting a card you get later through a pack.
Competitive Spirit, Darnassus Aspirant, Savage Combatant, Living Roots, Bash, Murloc Knight as well.

If Totem Shaman becomes a thing then Thunderbuff Valiant and Draenei Totem Carver might be a thing. If control Shaman becomes a thing then you might need to get Elemental Destruction and Healing Wave as well (maybe even Charged Hammer).

Quite a few cards are on the cusp and could see a lot more play with the change to standard. Stuff like King's Elekk and Flame Juggler that were pushed out due to over powered 2 drops in Naxx/GvG.

But I agree that one should just buy classic packs especially starting out. Way more staples in that set and not only that but those cards aren't going away unlike TGT which is gone from Standard next year.

Apathy

Competitive Spirit, Darnassus Aspirant, Savage Combatant, Living Roots, Bash, Murloc Knight as well.

If Totem Shaman becomes a thing then Thunderbuff Valiant and Draenei Totem Carver might be a thing. If control Shaman becomes a thing then you might need to get Elemental Destruction and Healing Wave as well (maybe even Charged Hammer).

Quite a few cards are on the cusp and could see a lot more play with the change to standard. Stuff like King's Elekk and Flame Juggler that were pushed out due to over powered 2 drops in Naxx/GvG.

But I agree that one should just buy classic packs especially starting out. Way more staples in that set and not only that but those cards aren't going away unlike TGT which is gone from Standard next year.

Plus if you buy classic and take a break, when you come back standard will always be there for you to use your classic cards

I'd buy 5 on the spot with that pricing, it's also be okay if they weren't so stingy on disenchantment dust(25%? Really?).
can you outright buy dust? honestly i'd prefer being able to effectively buy single cards like in MTG or Pokemon online and create a deck that way.
None of that, the only way is by disenchantment cards.

fertygo

I keep purchasing TGT because I'm like 2-3 card away for Totem Shaman

hoping get something like Justicar or Chillmaw after reach pity tracker as well

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Plus if you buy classic and take a break, when you come back standard will always be there for you to use your classic cards
I still really doubt blizzard won't back peddle at all on it in the coming years. I could see them doing something like '90% of the yearly core set will compose of the previous year's claasic/core set',,but it is just not good for the game to have a pool of 250 cards powerful cards that can never go away, and your only option is to nerf them.

Apathy

I still really doubt blizzard won't back peddle at all on it in the coming years. I could see them doing something like '90% of the yearly core set will compose of the previous year's claasic/core set',,but it is just not good for the game to have a pool of 250 cards powerful cards that can never go away, and your only option is to nerf them.

Well I mean we can't predict what happens right, this is the best advice we can give someone with what we know and how the game is now

Sheroking

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you're saying.

The right thing to do is to take key cards that create new deck archetypes, and add those to the Classic set during their retirement.

And take all of Naxx and make that the Deathknight's classic set.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Adventure cards are or will be craftable without owning the wings. They're removing the adventures from the shop that are not standard. This is pretty common knowledge.

I still don't understand this. I didn't get into Hearthstone until a little after GvG came out, and didn't even know how essential Naxx cards were to the game, but still easily payed money just for the single player content. It's especially nice for a new player when multiplayer seems so much more intimidating and you have a lot you can learn from the single player.

It's also a lot more fun playing it when it's a more of a challenge thanks to your limited knowledge and card options. Single player content now is either stupid easy or blatantly unfair.

I don't understand why they're taking away all access to that single player content from new players.

Dahbomb

Yeah I am not sure why they are completely removing the adventures.

I think the main reason is that they don't want the client to take up too much space on devices and this is an easy fix for it. I still would've kept it because they are fun and they allow new players to flex their creative juices.

I always make it a point to finish all adventures on Heroic as soon as I get them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I think the main reason is that they don't want the client to take up too much space on devices and this is an easy fix for it. I still would've kept it because they are fun and they allow new players to flex their creative juices.

I always make it a point to finish all adventures on Heroic as soon as I get them.

They will still be available to people who already own the adventures, so no, it has nothing to do with client space.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

It doesn't fix that at all, you can still access the adventures if you have paid for them. This is entirely a marketing scheme.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

It's probably somewhere around $25 right now if you want to get any legendary, assuming you dust every single card. $5 is a really big discount from that, so it's hard to imagine them doing that.

Maybe if their stats show no one ever puts money into the game past a certain point when decks become more about collecting dust than the cards themselves, and they need a way to milk a few more dollars out of them. I know I'm never going to be able to justify paying real money for another classic pack that mostly turns to dust, but there are a few classic legendaries I might pay $5 for.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It should be $16 per legendary. I believe you get an average of 100 dust per pack (Even if the majority of packs are 40 dust)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
They will still be available to people who already own the adventures, so no, it has nothing to do with client space.

It really makes no sense.

It's probably the same reason they've limited the deck slots to 9 for so long, and then added more because they were forced to by including wild, and then only included it by removing basic deck slots and putting the extra deck slots there.

I imagine either the UI designers are completely inflexible in their UI design, or the software developers developed an unscalable mess for the menu. Most of their most baffling decisions would be explained by that.

Top Bottom