• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Apathy

635964803079690872.png

You should be an optometrist, you got my eyes working right

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So we have two new Hunter cards dealing with deathrattles even though most of the good deathrattles are rotating out, so it's not entirely obvious what this Hunter deck looks like at the moment. I think we're still missing some pieces and that Hunter is getting one or two deathrattle minions in this set that we haven't seen yet.

So we have two new Hunter cards dealing with deathrattles even though most of the good deathrattles are rotating out, so it's not entirely obvious what this Hunter deck looks like at the moment. I think we're still missing some pieces and that Hunter is getting one or two deathrattle minions in this set that we haven't seen yet.

it's about that hat synergy

Apathy

The new Druid card seems pretty damn ridiculous. Losing 1 attack from a Boulderfist and gaining taunt and 6 stats on your C'thun. Crazy.

Has me a little worried since some classes haven't seen cthun interaction cards and druid get two. That and the fact blizzard said there are like 16 cards that interact with cthun and we've seen enough to say some classes won't get any

Hycran

Banned
Oh wow. Is each class getting two C'Thun cards? Or are they only giving C'Thun cards to a few classes?

So far the distribution has been pretty even so we can probably expect more cthun cards for each deck. That being said, some classes in theory may need less cthun cards than others so it's no guarantee.

I'm happy that they are changing Druid into the big taunt class as its archetype. Also that hunter legendary makes feign death hunter pretty strong

Ridli

Wow, huhu is great. Not an auto include in every hunter deck of course, but crazy good when you can get value off the battlecry.

I also like that she's 5 mana. Could use more legendaries under 6. They don't all have to be win conditions.

Dahbomb

That Druid card is almost playable by itself. 5/7 Taunt is really good even at 6 mana.

The Hunter Legendary is like a single proc of Feign Death. Have Sylvanas out then play this on it to steal a minion. Not enough deathrattles in the set yet though.

You can also do Twilight Summoner into this for insane tempo going into turn 6 then drop down Highmane.

I also realized that this is our first 5 mana 6/5.

Pooya

I guess warrior has another class c'thun card too. Only 2 classes seem really limited though, probably paladin has c'thun cards too, we haven't seen many minions there.

druids cards are really good, I think c'thun is there to fill for the classes that lose a lot with rotation and nerf, so paladin too maybe.

it's almost an ancient of war that does something for 6 mana, it's toshley with taunt. it's crazy. c'thun druid is going be the druid deck, you might not even need c'thun to win. beasts so far look as awful as before.

FeD.nL

Hmm, so C'thun minions aren't in Arena, and now it seems that some classes get more C'thun minions than others. Or are the class C'thun cards in Arena?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That Druid card is almost playable by itself. 5/7 Taunt is really good even at 6 mana.

Yeah if it was a neutral without the C'Thun text it would be a very high pick in arena. Competes very aggressively with Sunwalker.

You ever lose so many matches consecutively that it stops becoming maddening and starts becoming humorous? I woke up this morning to a simple win 2 matches with a hunter or mage. Planned on knocking that out and then playing some Dark Souls. 11 losses in a row later I'm still 0/2 on the quest.

Szadek

You ever lose so many matches consecutively that it stops becoming maddening and starts becoming humorous? I woke up this morning to a simple win 2 matches with a hunter or mage. Planned on knocking that out and then playing some Dark Souls. 11 losses in a row later I'm still 0/2 on the quest.
If things go this badly, it's time for a break. You are just going to make more misplays.

MMaRsu

even in casual and brawl ?

Yeah I just stop playing when I realize that I'm way too salty to make good decisions, this is usually after 3 straight losses or so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How many classes did they give dragons to again?

There was Mage, Priest, Warrior, and Paladin, right?

I'm guessing there are probably only four C'Thun classes as well, though it's possible they're doing less.

Mulgrok

I went on a 16 loss streak playing ladder yesterday. I guess that countered the 12 win streak I had the day before.

EDIT: Got to rank 5 playing mediocre totem shaman. Deck is very draw dependent.

Pooya

we've seen 3+5 C'thun cards. Assuming warrior has another one that's 4+5, that leaves 7 other C'thun card, you can have 2+2+2 and another neutral. 5 classes total the most. There are probably more neutral ones, if 3, two other classes get C'thun class cards.

You can look at the rarity of currently released cards and predict which ones I guess. It's probably paladin for one, we haven't seen any common there. Mage is unlikely, we've seen both commons for example. C'thun class cards are probably one common one rare. I'm guessing priest is getting it too.

Owzers

Staples is having an iTunes gift card sale, 50 card for 40, etc. might be a good time for hearthstone preordering.

I like that Druid taunt a lot because it's common and can make up for me not having ancient of war.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Priest seems like an obvious choice for a deck that tries to dig for a card and live to turn 10.

Their deck choices also get rough next year when TGT, BRM, and LoE rotate out, so they need a new archetype eventually.

Apathy

Priest seems like an obvious choice for a deck that tries to dig for a card and live to turn 10.

Their deck choices also get rough next year when TGT, BRM, and LoE rotate out, so they need a new archetype eventually.

Oh wow, I thought only BRM and tgt were leaving next year with loe and gods + next adventure as the standard

bjaelke

Oh wow, I thought only BRM and tgt were leaving next year with loe and gods + next adventure as the standard

League came out in November/December so it qualifies as a 2015 release.

When we release the first new Expansion each year, every set that wasn’t released in the same year or the year prior will cycle out and no longer be part of the Standard format.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To my understanding it's everything that released in 2015 going out the window.

There were only two sets in 2014 so that's why only two left.

FeD.nL

And it makes sense with them not using any of the new mechanics in this new set. And next year all the mechanics introduced in 2015 will rotate out. Discover is probably coming back but I can see them reworking/dropping inspire and joust respectively.

Mulgrok

Modified my mech warrior deck to be not so face-centric and it became pretty consistent.

Doing pretty well at around rank 5. Boom is completely unnecessary, and I think a 2nd gorilla bot would work better.

Magnus

Someone remind me again why inspire flopped so hard from a gameplay design perspective. On paper it seems like such a great idea.

Does it basically have to do with frequent use of hero powers not really adding to the board/not helping gain board presence?

Mulgrok

Someone remind me again why inspire flopped so hard from a gameplay design perspective. On paper it seems like such a great idea.

Does it basically have to do with frequent use of hero powers not really adding to the board/not helping gain board presence?

the inspire minions get run over by the GvG and Naxx minions with way more stats before the inspire can be used to great effect.

Eddie Bax

From my perspective, I think inspire has found a solid place in arena, but it feels like the creatures it's attached to are just generally not efficient enough for the mana in constructed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The minions had ho-hum to below average stats, required you to use your hero power the turn they came out to get value (so effectively costing two mana more), and your hero power is really only worth 1 mana in the first place at best.

This is on top of existing in a meta where you really wanted to play the best possible value minion every turn unless you were an extreme control or aggro deck.

The only inspire cards that got play were things like Murloc Knight that generally got you 5+ mana value on top of your 1/1 minion and had extreme priority for being killed, helping to protect your other cards or being super punishing if they couldn't kill it.

Arena is slow enough with little enough removal for it to work. They probably want to see how these mechanics work in Standard and then consider bringing it back with adjusted stat lines.

C'Thun minions notably have reasonable stats despite their effect.

Apathy

With it requiring the use of 2 more mana to get the effect, you gotta look at the card as costing two more than it actually does yet not stated as if it costs two more. Basically if you put it down without the effect, your opponent has incentive to kill it before it snowballs out of control and you won't get any of the inspire out of it.

Owzers

Even inspire cards i like, such as Murloc Paladin, i have to wait until turn 6 to play it and by then things on the board can be quite rough.

I think Blizzard thought the mechanic sounded cool but realized that it would be insanely overpowered if they made any of the cards good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Blizzard thought the mechanic sounded cool but realized that it would be insanely overpowered if they made any of the cards good.
I think what they were most worried about was someone flooding the board with three Inspire cards and then hitting their hero power for extreme value, but that type of scenario never really happens.

Like imagine if Silver Hand Recruiter was a 3/4, lived the turn, and on turn 4 you played Forgotten Hero and used your hero power. It would actually be a pretty solid turn. Similarly Murloc Knight being a 4/5 could make it hard to take care of the turn it dropped, so playing a Silver Hand Recruiter plus hero power the next turn gives you a Murloc, a 3/3, and two 1/1s for 5 mana plus whatever is left on the 4/5 Murloc Knight.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Wow the stats on the hunter legendary are really good. Is this the first 6/5 for 5 ever? This thing has a chance to make a really fun deck in Wild. Hopefully there are one or two decent deathrattles coming in the set, because as it is there isn't much to use this on in standard.

Apathy

I think what they were most worried about was someone flooding the board with three Inspire cards and then hitting their hero power for extreme value, but that type of scenario never really happens.

Like imagine if Silver Hand Recruiter was a 3/4, lived the turn, and on turn 4 you played Forgotten Hero and used your hero power. It would actually be a pretty solid turn. Similarly Murloc Knight being a 4/5 could make it hard to take care of the turn it dropped, so playing a Silver Hand Recruiter plus hero power the next turn gives you a Murloc, a 3/3, and two 1/1s.

It happens those moments you pull a muloc knight out of a murloc knight and you know you pretty much fucked your opponent.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It happens those moments you pull a muloc knight out of a murloc knight and you know you pretty much fucked your opponent.
And there was an extent to which that would be reasonable to compete with GvG and Naxx cards, but they had already decided to do formats at that point and wanted to start ramping the power level down.

Pooya

I think inspire cards are even worse now in standard :p

like you have murloc knight, 6 mana 3/4 summons something ranging from 1/1s and 2/1s to 3/4 or 2/5, if you're lucky. sometimes with charge. well only one outcome will have charge in standard. This is like the best inspire minion. I like kodorider too kinda, that's a 8 drop that gives you a 3/5.

now you have that mage 5 drop that summons a 3 cost minion or shaman's 4 drop master of evolution is somewhat similar but are way faster. Granted these are one time effects but how many time a 3/4 or 3/5 minion is going to live more than a turn at that stage of the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I don't think they will be good for the most part, but I think they want to get a feel for how much better they need to make them to be good before bringing the mechanic back.

Top Bottom