• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

The Purlot cards were the best fake cards, I lose it every time I see them again.
dtfZmOO.png

hMRNMuZ.png

Sande

Why is literally every mage suddenly playing mechs again? I genuinely haven't seen freeze or tempo in about 10 games against mage.

edit: Hovering around rank 15-20 for the past few weeks might have something to do with it.

Why is literally every mage suddenly playing mechs again? I genuinely haven't seen freeze or tempo in about 10 games against mage.

edit: Hovering around rank 15-20 for the past few weeks might have something to do with it.
I noticed that too, i'm at rank 11. Weird, considering that mech mage is tier 4, while tempo and freeze are tier 2 on meta snapshot.

Tarazet

I noticed that too, i'm at rank 11. Weird, considering that mech mage is tier 4, while tempo and freeze are tier 2 on meta snapshot.

Been seeing them constantly for the last two months. The best counter to them is Zombie Chows, spot removal to shut down their synergy and board clears to make sure they are left topdecking by turn 5.

georly

Not everyone has Antonidas or Alex. Mech is a bit cheaper to run I guess.

Yup, my brother started playing recently and wanted a cheap mage deck (he likes mage) so I helped him build a budget mech mage. He had naxx and a few gvg packs (he played for a couple months starting in late 2014), and that's about it.

Levi

Banned
Mech mage is a deck that can snowball out of control, and many variants are very cheap to build. On my EU account I only have two legendaries -- one of which is Antonidas, and no adventures, so when I get a Mage daily I use mech mage. If you can't win early by building a huge board and going face, you've got Antonidas + spare parts as another win condition. It's not a great deck, but it works, especially at lower ranks. With Antondias or Fel Reaver, Clockwork Knight and Gorillabot work okay to push damage but you lose a late game win condition so you're more likely to run out steam.

Speaking of shitty collections, on my EU account, which has no adventures, two legendaries, and 5 total epics, I've been doing relatively well with cheap-o tempo decks like mech mage or Arena-style Rogue decks, but for today's warrior quest I used the Classic Warrior deck recipe with a few substitutions. I have to say, winning on EU with shitty decks vs meta decks is a ton of fun.

5VF5Q28.png

FeD.nL

I would be willing to bet that the three remaining class legendaries will be better than Herald Volazj...

I really don't get why people are so down on Volazj when we have had class legendaries like Flame Leviathan, Bolvar, mistcaller etc.

Is it an amazing legendary that you build your deck around? No.

But it's far from bad and fits perfectly in the value priest decks we've had for some time. As I said before a single loot hoarder, or even a Shifting Shade on the board and then play this guy is like a mini Ancient of Lore. It's not that hard to imagine an average priest game we're the priest player will get value of Volazj, with stuff like museum curator they will always have deathrattle minions and some of the new stuff fits right in as well.

It's a 6 mana 5/5 that when the priest starts getting on the board immediately provides a lot of board presence.

Apathy

I really don't get why people are so down on Volazj when we have had class legendaries like Flame Leviathan, Bolvar, mistcaller etc.

Is it an amazing legendary that you build your deck around? No.

But it's far from bad and fits perfectly in the value priest decks we've had for some time. As I said before a single loot hoarder, or even a Shifting Shade on the board and then play this guy is like a mini Ancient of Lore. It's not that hard to imagine an average priest game we're the priest player will get value of Volazj, with stuff like museum curator they will always have deathrattle minions and some of the new stuff fits right in as well.

It's a 6 mana 5/5 that when the priest starts getting on the board immediately provides a lot of board presence.

So I'm assuming you're going to be dropping the shade on 4 and the loot hoarder plus something else on 5? Or the other way around and them to be alive on 6 to drop this even both have low health.

gutshot

On a related note, what does everyone think are the most underrated cards revealed so far? Underrated either by the pros or by the community.

For me, I think it is Scaled Nightmare. Most pros I've seen have dismissed it as too slow. They think you'll drop it on the board and then it will just get eaten by a couple of minions for free, or a minion and some burn.

But that ignores what sort of deck you would put it in. I'm thinking specifically of Dragon Priest. I know when I play Dragon Priest getting on board early is easy, holding the board into the late game and then finding a way to close out the game is the tricky part. Scaled Nightmare is a great way to hold board for you as its attack scales. And its 8 health means it will not be easy to remove, especially if you already have some Twilight Guardians or Wyrmrest Agents on board to protect it. And your hero power can keep it alive to ensure you get a ton of value out of its ability. It can even be used as a finisher with some Inner Fire shenanigans.

I just think it is the perfect card for Dragon Priest and since that deck is already a decent constructed deck and is losing virtually none of its key cards once Standard hits, I suspect the deck will see a lot of play on ladder. With Secret Pally taking a hit to its curve, Dragon Priest may become the new Curve King.

FeD.nL

So I'm assuming you're going to be dropping the shade on 4 and the loot hoarder plus something else on 5? Or the other way around and them to be alive on 6 to drop this even both have low health.

Since when do priests care about curving out? Priest games go long(er) and your hero power makes sure your minions can out-value theirs. And in the average priest game (barring hyper aggresive match-ups) there is going to come a turn where Volazj will give you value. Especially with the minions priests can put on the board.

Dahbomb

Volazj sort of belongs in a Deathrattle midrange Priest deck. You can play Twilight Summoners, Sylvanas, Wobbling Runts etc. that people don't want to kill and get punished by Volazj. Then you put down Nzoth as the finisher.

Apathy

Since when do priests care about curving out? Priest games go long(er) and your hero power makes sure your minions can out-value theirs. And in the average priest game (barring hyper aggresive match-ups) there is going to come a turn where Volazj will give you value. Especially with the minions priests can put on the board.

If you find favorable trades then sure a priest minion will do well because of the hero power, but in your example, both those minions won't find favorable trades, specially the longer a match goes. A 2/1 is not surviving to give you value at any point unless you drop it in tandem with volazj to guarantee it being created.

Levi

Banned
Anyone have any plans for decks they are going to try in standard? I know we still have half the cards left, but since most of those are going to be vanilla cards that'll be used in Arena it's probably safe to start theory-crafting.

I'm excited to try the new midrange Shaman, Call of the Wild beast hunter (I think this deck is going to be very strong), C'thun Druid, and a new Standard/Old Gods Control Warrior.

There are other decks I want to try but these are what I'm building day one.

FeD.nL

If you find favorable trades then sure a priest minion will do well because of the hero power, but in your example, both those minions won't find favorable trades, specially the longer a match goes. A 2/1 is not surviving to give you value at any point unless you drop it in tandem with volazj to guarantee it being created.

Okay sure. My bad, what I wanted to point out is that there are going to be board states during an average priest game where you can cash in on Volazj, be it the dream with a couple of legendaries or just a single shade/hoarder. It's not that hard for priest to get value from Volazj without going against their general gameplan.

And what I was merely getting at with my initial post is that some people are extremely negative about Volazj while the card is far from unplayable.

Owzers

Anyone have any plans for decks they are going to try in standard? I know we still have half the cards left, but since most of those are going to be vanilla cards that'll be used in Arena it's probably safe to start theory-crafting.

I'm excited to try the new midrange Shaman, Call of the Wild beast hunter (I think this deck is going to be very strong), C'thun Druid, and a new Standard/Old Gods Control Warrior.

I'm going to go with secret paladin. If Blizzard doesn't nerf it so i can get my dust back, i will never quit challenging people.

Aggro Shaman

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
On a related note, what does everyone think are the most underrated cards revealed so far? Underrated either by the pros or by the community.

For me, I think it is Scaled Nightmare. Most pros I've seen have dismissed it as too slow. They think you'll drop it on the board and then it will just get eaten by a couple of minions for free, or a minion and some burn.

But that ignores what sort of deck you would put it in. I'm thinking specifically of Dragon Priest. I know when I play Dragon Priest getting on board early is easy, holding the board into the late game and then finding a way to close out the game is the tricky part. Scaled Nightmare is a great way to hold board for you as its attack scales. And its 8 health means it will not be easy to remove, especially if you already have some Twilight Guardians or Wyrmrest Agents on board to protect it. And your hero power can keep it alive to ensure you get a ton of value out of its ability. It can even be used as a finisher with some Inner Fire shenanigans.

I just think it is the perfect card for Dragon Priest and since that deck is already a decent constructed deck and is losing virtually none of its key cards once Standard hits, I suspect the deck will see a lot of play on ladder. With Secret Pally taking a hit to its curve, Dragon Priest may become the new Curve King.

Scaled Nightmare is crap in Dragon Priest. It really won't help you until it gets to 8 attack. Any midrange deck will kill it instantly with minimal effort and aggro decks can safely ignore it.

I mean think about it. On the turn you play it, it isn't even as scary as Maexxna.

Levi

Banned
Aggro Shaman

Good idea, farm everyone playing unoptimized decks with an aggro list.

I'm going to go with secret paladin. If Blizzard doesn't nerf it so i can get my dust back, i will never quit challenging people.

Not sure how well Secret Paladin is going to do without Avenge,or Minibot, Muster to take control of the board early. Secret Paladin already struggles if it doesn't control the board on the Challenger turn, and you're losing the secret with the biggest impact.

Paladin with lightlord. Not sure if I'll be going with an old god or rafaam though. There are supposedly more deathrattles coming so more argument for nzoth.

The most important change will be the nerfs to the existing cards.
Without knowing these deckbuilding now is not very useful.

Levi

Banned
The most important change will be the nerfs to the existing cards.
Without knowing these deckbuilding now is not very useful.

That is a good point, but I think we can make educated guesses on archetypes based on what we presume the nerfs should include. I'm not talking about putting together 30 cards today, but planning on what synergies you think may be strong enough to build decks around in standard.

FeD.nL

N'Zoth control pally with Deathwing is the one I'm most looking forward too to build and try to make it work.

gutshot

Scaled Nightmare is crap in Dragon Priest. It really won't help you until it gets to 8 attack. Any midrange deck will kill it instantly with minimal effort and aggro decks can safely ignore it.

I mean think about it. On the turn you play it, it isn't even as scary as Maexxna.

It's scarier than Maexxna because left unchecked it can become a win condition. And like I said with Dragon Priest, you are going to have board control against almost any midrange deck going into turn 6. If you don't, you pretty much already lost, so Scaled Nightmare is just as bad as any other card there.

Levi

Banned
Oh hey, just saw on reddit that today is the one year anniversary of the mobile version of the game being released which mean it's also my one year anniversary of playing the game!

In that time I've reached Legend 0 times and had 12 win arena runs 0 times! Go me!

How does midrange hunter deal with Secret Paladin? Every time I do fine up until MC gets dropped and then it all falls apart really fast. I can't stop them from having a board before they drop him.

manhack

Seems like a control pally is one of the better N'zoth candidates. I think a control priest could also do well, but will be interested to see how many more good deathrattles they make.

As for my starter decks:

Malygos/Miracle Rogue,
Hunter using Call of the Wild,
Shaman (worried Shaman is still going to be bad)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not sure if this was posted yet: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1358-old-gods-legendary-reveal-shifter-zerus-ben-brode

Hearthpwn said:
Ben Brode Live - Tidbits of Hearthstone

Cards
- The basic card nerf announcement will be made close to the Old Gods release.
- Ironbeak Owl and Big Game Hunter don't fit well into the Classic set.
- The Curse of Rafaam + Nozdormu combo is a bug.
- More Old Gods Deathrattle cards should be expected. He stated that he wouldn't talk about unreleased stuff in the expansion when asked about good Deathrattle cards.

Unreleased Cards
- Grounding Totems were going to be a thing but were taken out before beta. In Warcraft, a Grounding Totem eats an enemy spell cast.
- TGT was supposed to have a Pirate Legendary minion. It was too powerful at the time but could fit in for Standard.

Heroes
- More alternative heroes will come, but not in the near future.

Tavern Brawls
- Pat Nagle and Dan do most of the work on Tavern Brawls.
- Jomaro Kindred does chalkboard art.
- Brawls are created through brainstorming, looking at ideas from the community, and ideas from the team.

Features
- They are looking into an option to randomize your card back when playing, but it isn't something we'll see in the next update.

Ben Brode
- Owns an HTC Vive and streams Hearthstone from the same room he uses it in.
- His favourite Hearthstone deck is Control Paladin.
- His favourite pizza restaurant got nerfed (shut down).
- He believes the Old Gods card pack opening animation is awesome.

Top Bottom