• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's been forever since they last nerfed anything that gave dust. I think Leeroy or Sylvanas was the last big nerf? If I remember correctly you're given a week (until next scheduled maintenance) to disenchant for full dust amount from when it was nerfed.

I might be wrong though.

They've nerfed Gadgetzan, Eaglehorn Bow, and Flare.

Is the 9 'one for each class', or one for each of the major decks in the metagame? Because flare is better than 3/9 if you see a lot of secret paladins.

Even against secret paladins, though?
Each class. I fought eight Warlocks in a row with my Aggro Shaman, so I see where you are coming from. I suppose you could say 4/9, even, since it lets you kill Shade of Naxx as well.

Even against secret paladins, though?

Flare is fine, I run one in my face hunter deck and it's won me quite a few games against freeze mage when dealing with ice block (currently at around rank 6 this season).

I rarely ever draw it against secretdins though :/

georly

I guess I should go ahead and preorder my packs before I forget. Gonna try to figure out how to use amazon coins tonight.

What do you guys think is smarter (hard to know until launch) - buy the 50 packs and spend all of my coins (2900) on WOTOG cards, even though I've only ever bought like 10 TGT packs ever, so I'm missing TONS of critical TGT cards, or should I spend some coins on some TGT cards? I'm thinking all WoToG and just use the dust to make the TGT cards I need. Yes? I'm more likely to get dupes = dust, right?

I guess I should go ahead and preorder my packs before I forget. Gonna try to figure out how to use amazon coins tonight.

If you figure it out, let me know. I really don't need my mother judging me when I ask her to use her phone to buy hearthstone coins...

Friday I get paid, then I'll pre-order the new cards.

georly

If you figure it out, let me know. I really don't need my mother judging me when I ask her to use her phone to buy hearthstone coins...

Friday I get paid, then I'll pre-order the new cards.

You can buy them on amazon's website, but I think you have to cash them in on the mobile game? I think it shows up as a currency when buying? Like how gold shows up for packs?

Using Amazon coins is easy. You just have to make sure you download Hearthstone from the Amazon App Store and not the Google Play Store. If you have the Google Play version you have to uninstall it. Then make sure you're signed in with your Amazon account on that device and when you go into the Hearthstone shop it should prompt you to spend Amazon coins.

ZealousD

You can buy them on amazon's website, but I think you have to cash them in on the mobile game? I think it shows up as a currency when buying? Like how gold shows up for packs?

You have to download Hearthstone from the Amazon Appstore, deleting the version from Google Play. Once you have the appstore version of the game you will see the coins as an option when you go to buy. You can buy new coins there or buy the coins on the website.

georly

You have to download Hearthstone from the Amazon Appstore, deleting the version from Google Play. Once you have the appstore version of the game you will see the coins as an option when you go to buy. You can buy new coins there or buy the coins on the website.

yeah, I got the amazon app version, knowing that. Good to know they show up in the game itself, thanks.

ZealousD

The only bad thing about using Amazon coins is that the process never seems instant. Something about the authentication process means I usually wait several minutes for Amazon and Blizzard to talk to each other, or I have to close and reopen the app. One time I waited 30 minutes and it deducted my coins but I never got the packs. I went to Amazon's CS for a refund, got one, went to rebuy. Once I got the packs that time the previous transaction went through... So free packs for me, lol.

What do you guys think is smarter (hard to know until launch) - buy the 50 packs and spend all of my coins (2900) on WOTOG cards, even though I've only ever bought like 10 TGT packs ever, so I'm missing TONS of critical TGT cards, or should I spend some coins on some TGT cards? I'm thinking all WoToG and just use the dust to make the TGT cards I need. Yes? I'm more likely to get dupes = dust, right?

It's probably best to see what the 50 packs get you first. If you get nearly all of the OG rares and commons, your coins will probably be better spent on TGT packs since you still need more of those. If you're just missing epics and legendaries from each set, it really doesn't matter what you buy because you're probably going to have to craft it anyway.

Using Amazon coins is easy. You just have to make sure you download Hearthstone from the Amazon App Store and not the Google Play Store. If you have the Google Play version you have to uninstall it. Then make sure you're signed in with your Amazon account on that device and when you go into the Hearthstone shop it should prompt you to spend Amazon coins.

What a hassle. I use the Google Opinion Rewards money for Google Play, so I will need to continually swap both applications out. -_-

I just missed one of the coinback promos. How often do those happen on Amazon? I'm curious if it's worth waiting a week to see.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah the process for buying packs with Amazon coins can be very finicky. Whatever you do don't touch anything or do anything while it says processing. Just let it sit even if it's taking a couple minutes. If you close the processing window or the app you'll have no packs but your coins gone.

ZealousD

What a hassle. I use the Google Opinion Rewards money for Google Play, so I will need to continually swap both applications out. -_-

I just missed one of the coinback promos. How often do those happen on Amazon? I'm curious if it's worth waiting a week to see.

They do the coinback promos pretty frequently. They were doing it when the Old Gods preorders went up.

If you don't want switch between versions you could always use an Android emulator on your PC instead.

So clearing a board with mad scientist on it that pulls duplicate will duplicate whatever minion was played after it huh? Just accidentally gave my opponent two more Dr. Booms, luckily I had enough removal to deal with it.

ZealousD

So clearing a board with mad scientist on it that pulls duplicate will duplicate whatever minion was played after it huh? Just accidentally gave my opponent two more Dr. Booms, luckily I had enough removal to deal with it.

Yeah, I kind of feel like when secrets get pulled into play during a sequence through death processing or some other effect that they shouldn't activate until the other player has control again. That would stop that interaction as well as the Fire Elemental and Mirror Entity interaction. If the point is that secrets are things that should be played around, then they shouldn't enter play and immediately resolve.

Yeah, I kind of feel like when secrets get pulled into play during a sequence through death processing or some other effect that they shouldn't activate until the other player has control again. That would stop that interaction as well as the Fire Elemental and Mirror Entity interaction. If the point is that secrets are things that should be played around, then they shouldn't enter play and immediately resolve.
What's the Fire Elemental issue?

the battle cry kills the scientist, scientist pulls mirror entity, mirror entity copies fire elemental

The battlecry phase happens, then minion death trigger happens, then fire elemental is played, so mirror comes into play right before fire elemental and thus gets copied b/c mirror activates "After a minion is played"

It's the same as ME copying any minions that are buffed in their battlecry like whelps and guardians

Wow, that is terrible.

I would rather us have Enchantments instead of Secrets. Blizzard can let them have board effects that last X number of turns before dying. That would be interesting.

ZealousD

If you kill Mad Scientist with a Fire Elemental's battlecry, and it pulls Mirror Entity, it triggers immediately and your opponent gets a Fire Elemental. This is not a bug but it isn't intuitive and it makes people think battlecries occur before minions hit the board.

Dahbomb

Secrets are cool man. These cards more than any separate good players from bad one.

Except when they are being cheated out of the deck by certain cards.

Secrets are cool man. These cards more than any separate good players from bad one.

Except when they are being cheated out of the deck by certain cards.
I don't inherently hate secrets, but I think they will largely die off in the new meta without Mad Scientist's help. Aside from Sacred Defender and Freezing Trap, they aren't all that good. Duplicate is of course good for particular deck archetypes, as well. There's just too much tempo loss in playing a 3-mana card that may not make a difference on your board for another 3-4 turns.

georly

It's probably best to see what the 50 packs get you first. If you get nearly all of the OG rares and commons, your coins will probably be better spent on TGT packs since you still need more of those. If you're just missing epics and legendaries from each set, it really doesn't matter what you buy because you're probably going to have to craft it anyway.

I guess I need to also know which decks are good, as well. Won't know that immediately, either.

Jhez being a scrub from pre naxx is painful, so many people with all manner of nuts cards.

Saved up 800 gold and wondering if I should wait till the new xpac to pick up cards. Pretty sure all I have is a few from Nax and the rest are classics (even then Im missing some decent ones)

Wondering if I should DE all my rare and up priest and warrior ones as I never play those classes

Par Score

Okay, so what's better than Paladin right now then?

Oh man. What is your evidence here?

Is this Ben Brode's secret account?

Druid and Warlock are the only classes I'd consider "overpowered" right now, but I'd also say Mage and Warrior are above Paladin in general.

Secret Paladin has been figured out, and Murlocadin is too inconsistent and slow to be top tier.

georly

Does the HS mobile app require good cel service/connection? On full wi-fi (but bad cel service) I get this screen and it crashes. I haven't played on my phone since I moved to a new area with AWFUL reception.

9tJ05JL.png

I restarted phone. Cleared app data, deleted AND redownloaded, no luck.

Edit: Apparently deleting the amazon APP store data fixes this? Weird.

Edit2: Ok, preordered. Yay.

Apathy

I don't inherently hate secrets, but I think they will largely die off in the new meta without Mad Scientist's help. Aside from Sacred Defender and Freezing Trap, they aren't all that good. Duplicate is of course good for particular deck archetypes, as well. There's just too much tempo loss in playing a 3-mana card that may not make a difference on your board for another 3-4 turns.

The hell is sacred defender? do you mean noble sacrifice?

manhack

Okay, so what's better than Paladin right now then?

I think secret paladin is actually in a really good spot right now, but I may just be getting lucky with it. I haven't had a ton of luck with it in the past, but the last 2 gaming sessions I have done really well. My main reason for trying it was that I barely gave it a chance before, I have seen very few paladins during my climb and I just want to get rank 5 fast.

Honestly I would just pick anything from Tier 1 and Tier 2 that you have the card for on here:

https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot/meta-snapshot-52-old-meta-new-decks

Occasionally these lists are a little wonky so, if you wanted to focus on zoo, for example. I look for several zoo decks from various sources and test them out.

jgminto

Druid and Warlock are the only classes I'd consider "overpowered" right now, but I'd also say Mage and Warrior are above Paladin in general.

Secret Paladin has been figured out, and Murlocadin is too inconsistent and slow to be top tier.
That might be the most absurd ranking I've seen aside from Druid. I'm guessing you don't primarily play Warlock, Mage or Warrior if you think they're anywhere close to OP. Secret Paladin is the top tier deck because all you need to do to win is curve out well. More so than any other midrange deck, it puts the onus on the other player to figure out how to deal with the board and if you haven't drawn perfectly up until Turn 6, it's extremely unlikely that you'll win the game. The deck is full of the highest quality cards in the game right now and is also incredibly easy to play.

everybody sort of knows what's in a secret paladin deck/know what they're gonna play on turn 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. Doesnt mean that you still won't get your shit pushed in more times than not when they curve out

Pooya

I thought I knew what in a secret paladin deck then I played against this funny guy with equality, quarter master and sacred trial. what a messy game that was.

sibarraz

Banned
Secret Paladin is a no issue right now imo, and with standard will be the same.

They still are annoying as hell but now I had more problems with zoolock than with paladins

Pooya

secret paladin can just fizzle out and lose, zoo though? damn, how many times I have to clean up that mess, and they tap and tap. Kill em all approach rarely works, you gotta hit them in the face. It's the most consistent deck in the game, nothing else compares. This sea giant version is too good. That card better get nerfed like all the other giants, it will be harder to play it without some cards but I don't think zoo like this would go away in standard.

Then why is Secret Paladin so frequently used at tournaments?

The hell is sacred defender? do you mean noble sacrifice?
I was thinking about how the card it produces is called a "Defender".

secret paladin can just fizzle out and lose, zoo though? damn, how many times I have to clean up that mess, and they tap and tap. Kill em all approach rarely works, you gotta hit them in the face. It's the most consistent deck in the game, nothing else compares. This sea giant version is too good. That card better get nerfed like all the other giants, it will be harder to play it without some cards but I don't think zoo like this would go away in standard.
I think the main problem is that Warlock is supposed to have low-value cards, but then some high-value Warlock cards were added in, like Gang Boss Imp. That card is probably the best 3-drop in the game, not counting overload cards.

If you're just looking for a deck to ladder with for the next week, go with Zoo. It's favored or even with most of the stuff being played right now and really only gets outright dumped on by freeze Mage.

Then why is Secret Paladin so frequently used at tournaments?

Tournaments and ladder are different metas, plus secret paladin isn't a bad deck by any means, it's just not at the top of the meta right now. I'm concerned as to why people won't accept that secret paladin isn't a top meta deck. That doesn't mean it's bad.

If you're just looking for a deck to ladder with for the next week, go with Zoo. It's favored or even with most of the stuff being played right now and really only gets outright dumped on by freeze Mage.
Also, I'll add that the cheapo Zoo has been performing a lot better than demon zoolock recently, in my experience. Enhance-o-matic, or whatever he's called, is an amazing card. I almost lost a game because someone dropped him on a board with THREE minions, one of them got Windfury, and then he double Power Overwhelming'd it for 24 face damage out of nowhere. Luckily I hadn't been hit yet in the game, so I won with that 6 leftover health. Makes Druid seem tame.

Tournaments and ladder are different metas, plus secret paladin isn't a bad deck by any means, it's just not at the top of the meta right now. I'm concerned as to why people won't accept that secret paladin isn't a top meta deck. That doesn't mean it's bad.
Dahbomb gets rank 5 every season from like...one evening of playing Secret Paladin. It takes me at least a week of nightly play to get there with Hybrid Hunter. I'm curious what you think the Tier 1 decks are if it's not Secret Paladin.

Dahbomb

No way is Warrior above Secret Paladin.

You have been subscribing too hard to Tempostorm if you actually believe that Secret Paladin isn't at least top 2 in the game.

There's nothing to figure out about Secret Paladin. It can beat anything in the game. People don't even bother teching stuff in the deck because they can just auto pilot to win.

Murloc Paladin is easily a tier 2 deck too and Midrange Paladin and Aggro Paladin aren't far behind that either.

This is end of era state of game right now, people just don't really give a hell. Reminds me of when people thought Grim Patron was figured out because Control Warrior and Handlock were tier 1. A couple of non good match ups is not enough to put down that deck.

If I had to make a tier list it's pretty simple for me:

Tier 1 (aka you either play this or you play its counters)

Midrange Combo Druid
Secret Paladin
Zoolock

Tier 2 (aka counter pick tier)

Freeze Mage
Grim Patron Warrior
Tempo Mage
Renolock
Aggro Shaman
Anyfin Paladin
Oil Rogue

Tier 3

Hunter, Control Priest, Paladin decks and whatever else that is usable.

Tier 4

Nobody cares

Dahbomb gets rank 5 every season from like...one evening of playing Secret Paladin. It takes me at least a week of nightly play to get there with Hybrid Hunter. I'm curious what you think the Tier 1 decks are if it's not Secret Paladin.

Since when is rank 5 meta defining? I can hit rank 5 with the crappiest of crappy rogue decks in the past, even early in the season.

As for what is at the top of the meta at this exact moment? I don't know. The point I was making is that some people seem unwilling to accept that secret paladin may not be among the best decks to play atm.

Top Bottom