• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Everyone's stressing out so much about 'losing' so many great cards, but that's just for Standard.

Is no one going to play Wild anymore? I get that Standard is the new official tourney format, but how many of you/us does that really affect?

Personally I'll never be touching wild. Not having to deal with Mad Scientist, Piloted Shredder, Dr. Boom and the countless other annoying bullshit cards is going to be like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders.

KuroNeeko

Everyone's stressing out so much about 'losing' so many great cards, but that's just for Standard.

Is no one going to play Wild anymore? I get that Standard is the new official tourney format, but how many of you/us does that really affect?

I think there will always be people who play Wild, just like there are people who play non-Standard in MTG (not sure if that's what they still call the format these days.) Wild will always be a place where you can play with whatever cards you have, so it will be attractive to players coming back after a long period of time.

I think Standard will be the new "main" part of the game though. It's "future-proof", meaning that newer players will not need to spend as much to "compete". The fact that sets rotate out will mean a (theoretically) dynamic meta. Standard = New. It's exciting.

Wild will be the new Wild West--where broken decks go to retire. I don't think any effort will be made to keep card balance in check. People will just keep playing broken Combo Druid / Paladin decks (or whatever rises up to replace them.)

Those are my thoughts on it though. Personally, I don't plan on playing Wild at all.

Personally I'll never be touching wild. Not having to deal with Mad Scientist, Piloted Shredder, Dr. Boom and the countless other annoying bullshit cards is going to be like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders.

Yeah. What BWG says.

TBH, I'm not stressed out about "losing" all these great cards.
Yeah, Lightbomb will go away and I'll have to live without Deathlord (who I both love and hate), but that's kinda the point. Now I can start messing around with other cards like Shadowfiend (current project), Cutpurse, and other crazy crap.

The experimentation and discovery are the most enjoyable parts of Hearthstone for me, not the refinement. I get that people play for different reasons, but when another poster asked earlier in the thread what everyone will be playing, two people answered "Secret Paladin" and "Aggro Shaman" for "easy laddering" against people experimenting with new decks.

There's no way I'm touching that stuff. I'm with the other dood who said he'd do C'thun Druid. lol New Adventures and Expansions are among the funnest times you're (I'm) going to get in HS. I'm going on non-gaf media blackout AFTER the set releases because I don't want to get spoiled on net decks.

ZenaxPure

Do you really want to live in a world where Dr. Boom is still playable? I'm not sure if I do.

Yeah man, I'm like the most casual hearthstone player ever (like just enough games to do my quests) and even with that little play I am ready for things to change a little. Even if Standard doesn't bring a major shakeup it will at least get rid of some really popular cards used in like every deck.

Miletius

I think there will always be people who play Wild, just like there are people who play non-Standard in MTG (not sure if that's what they still call the format these days.) Wild will always be a place where you can play with whatever cards you have, so it will be attractive to players coming back after a lot period of time.

I think Standard will be the new "main" part of the game though. It's "future-proof", meaning that newer players will not need to spend as much to "compete". The fact that sets rotate out will mean a (theoretically) dynamic meta. Standard = New. It's exciting.

Wild will be the new Wild West--where broken decks go to retire. I don't think any effort will be made to keep card balance in check. People will just keep playing broken Combo Druid / Paladin decks (or whatever rises up to replace them.)

Those are my thoughts on it though. Personally, I don't plan on playing Wild at all.

Same, there is almost zero reason for me to want to play wild anytime in the near future. The decks that will be popular in wild, at least for the foreseeable future, are the decks that are popular now, plus whatever old gods can give you from to further refine that set. In a few months/years, it might be interesting to visit wild and combine cards from previous sets and see what the most broken thing you can come up with will be. But for now, wild might as well not even exist for me.

Owzers

Yeah...i can't see myself playing Wild unless i get enough dust to create more combination of broken decks. Wild: All the stuff you hate, forever. I'm bummed about losing Loatheb and future Reno. Reno will only have been around a little over a year.

KuroNeeko

Yeah...i can't see myself playing Wild unless i get enough dust to create more combination of broken decks. Wild: All the stuff you hate, forever. I'm bummed about losing Loatheb and future Reno. Reno will only have been around a little over a year.

Yeah. I think I've tried Reno in everything except Paladin and Warrior. It's awesome how much he's shaken the game up. Going to be sad seeing him go.

Apathy

Never, ever ever ever doing wild.

The only "wild" type stuff I'll have to do is the times I do arena or the the brawls they make wild.

Acerac

Banned
Rank 12 to Rank 5 with Secret Paladin. 31 Games.

SeemsGood

.eJwFwUsKwyAQANC7eADHCX5zge5KoAcog4oRTAyZ6ar07n3vqz73UKvaRS5eAUrnPO-iWeZNreo2ZxuVrs46zwNIhPJ-1FMY0CO6YI0xDl00aYmAYcEQ0Ntkk3doXYSNBpV-vl9Cwnp7PtTvD9mhJJE.PxZc3qZE4FRxnBFInThcOQvLUno.PNG

That mirror matchup tho.

manhack

That mirror matchup tho.

Yeah my deck runs double divine favor and ragnaros. If any deck has a faster start and empties its hand quickly I get screwed. Otherwise a good start for me shits all over most other decks.

Rank 5 having trouble with zoo and the mirror still.

Broken decks don't bother me as long as I can use them, so I'm not against playing Wild. I'm bored of ranked at the moment but I'll be less bored with some new cards.

squidyj

I can advance my ranked play by sacrificing worthless wild.

I wouldn't mind playing wild but I can get dust from my wild cards so I'll do that.

I don't see it worthwhile to dust all my wild cards. I'll only dust the ones I barely touch, which there are plenty of them. I'll keep the ones I like because I think it's still gonna be fun to rank up in wild sometimes.

Moonlight

Banned
There's going to be a mass extinction of this guy. I'm waiting for Dusting Day to see what i can get rid of and what gets nerfed and then roll around in my new dust pile.
Even in death, his effect is still applicable. Thousands of players will BGH him from their collections and get Ragnaros.

Tarazet

I've been playing a version of ramp druid to tease the meta, since it plays a lot like combo druid until late game. First clue something is amiss is the Master Jouster. Eye opener to play him in a deck where he actually wins most of the time. It's not an Astral Communion Timmy list though.. actually surprisingly consistent and honest list but... I can't find it anymore. I wonder if I just dreamed it up.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/477518-nope-nope-nope-nope

Still playing my Patron Flinger list, too. Shame that it won't survive in Standard. http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/442708-patron-flinger#c1

Dahbomb

Rank 12 to Rank 5 with Secret Paladin. 31 Games.

SeemsGood

.eJwFwUsKwyAQANC7eADHCX5zge5KoAcog4oRTAyZ6ar07n3vqz73UKvaRS5eAUrnPO-iWeZNreo2ZxuVrs46zwNIhPJ-1FMY0CO6YI0xDl00aYmAYcEQ0Ntkk3doXYSNBpV-vl9Cwnp7PtTvD9mhJJE.PxZc3qZE4FRxnBFInThcOQvLUno.PNG
The game we play.

And yeah the archetypes will remain, it's just that most will be weaker than before.

Face and Midrange Hunter? Both will be very strong and will prevent fun decks from being used too much.

Control Warrior? It will remain just with less good weapons and less armor gain.

Aggro Shaman? Probably best deck going into Standard right now.

Secret Paladin? If Pally gets a usable Secret and a decent 2 drop then Secret Paladin might be back in business. If not there's always Midrange Paladin.

Renolock? It will remain for sure and should be quite strong.

Zoolock? Weaker but Zoo has always been a thing in HS.

Control Priest? Going nowhere though might be a lot weaker against Midrange decks with no Lightbomb.

Realistically speaking the only two long standing decks that will be leaving are Freeze Mage and Combo Druid most probably. Oil Rogue too I guess but Rogue can make work without it assuming the class cards aren't touched to much.

Dahbomb

About 70 card left to confirm secret pally is dead, and we can praise the old gods
Secret Paladin won't die. It just might become less aggressive or more Midrange in Standard.

So instead of dying by turn 8 on average you will die on turn 9 instead.

All of those will be in standard except for the eviscerated combo druid.

I mean, of course. But a lot of the most annoying things will be gone. Imp-losion, Death's Bite, Voidcaller, Boom, etc. There are many more cards to name.

Although as someone else mentioned, Face Shaman looks to still be quite scary.

Sheroking

Secret Paladin, if it even exists at all in standard, will be so radically different it probably won't matter anyway.

It's most bullshit early game cards are dead, so the journey to turn 6 is much harder. Doctor Boom is gone, so no impossible follow-up to Challenger. Avenge is gone - say bye-bye to the most powerful secret interaction in the deck. People will be looking for the next way they can win while playing on autopilot. They'll migrate back to face hunter or something.

I am a little behind on this, but what is combo druid losing?

FoN/Savage likely to be nerfed in some way. Possibly other Druid staples like innervate, Ancient of Lore, etc. as well. Based on dev speak, they're looking at the class very closely.

EDIT: Little late, whoops.

fertygo

Secret Paladin won't die. It just might become less aggressive or more Midrange in Standard.

So instead of dying by turn 8 on average you will die on turn 9 instead.

As long is not this variance of secret pally is ok, no more impossible to deal board, shit like that

The key (Avenge) is dead, their 2-4 play dead, the follow-up dead (dr balanced)

I'm OK to play around repentance, their big ass minion must killed twice cause redemption kind of suck tho.. the variant maybe down to that style

Hey Hearthstone GAF, need some help with my Dragon Priest.

I know it isn't a top deck right now but I'm peaking at around rank 11 and would like to know what a 'good' decklist looks like right now. I currently run a similar setup to Tempo Storm's decklist but without Paletress and Elise. I tried Elise out for 10ish games but never once got the monkey out so I dropped it for a Nefarian, who is really slow, but another activator for Whelp, Wyrmrest etc. I've tried builds with Twilight Drakes, Dragonwing Sorcerers and Museum Curators but none of these are particularly consistent.

On a similar note, are there any notable streamers or youtube players who play a lot of Dragon Priest since it would be nice to learn from more experienced players.

Heropon

First time I get to 7 wins in Arena without losses.

Not in the image: ~Blizzard, Frost Elemental, Argent Commander and North Sea Kraken x2.

Despite the obviously good cards like Fireball and Ethereal Conjurer I wasn't really confident because of the few meh minions I had to pick and prior experience with good looking decks getting bad results. Maybe it was because I didn't find any paladins but the mages were equally annoying with the constant removal danger.

Thanks to this run I appreciate Ethereal Conjurer more. He was easilly killed, the picks weren't the best in the world but even then the card advantage he gave was really valuable.

jgminto

I know it isn't a top deck right now but I'm peaking at around rank 11 and would like to know what a 'good' decklist looks like right now. I currently run a similar setup to Tempo Storm's decklist but without Paletress and Elise. I tried Elise out for 10ish games but never once got the monkey out so I dropped it for a Nefarian, who is really slow, but another activator for Whelp, Wyrmrest etc. I've tried builds with Twilight Drakes, Dragonwing Sorcerers and Museum Curators but none of these are particularly consistent.

On a similar note, are there any notable streamers or youtube players who play a lot of Dragon Priest since it would be nice to learn from more experienced players.
I don't know if he's played with Priest recently but Brian Kibler usually experiments with Dragon decks. If you google his decklist, you should be able to find some Dragon Priest variations.

AzureSky

wild might be a better place for daily quests. Just embrace the shame and roll over the few poor souls who dont play broken decks.

I don't know if he's played with Priest recently but Brian Kibler usually experiments with Dragon decks. If you google his decklist, you should be able to find some Dragon Priest variations.

I looked up some of his builds and while they all seem to be pre LoE, there were some interesting card choices like Loatheb, Justicar and Dark Cultist so I'll be playing around with some of those. Thanks!

Heropon

So Arena finished at 10-3, like always I find a wall there and I can't get to 11 wins ever. This time it was a paladin weapon-SMOrc lord with all the typical bullshit except Muster. The good thing is that I got a golden Master of Disguise, so I suppose it will become 800 dust when standard hits, and a second Blizzard.

ZenaxPure

As long is not this variance of secret pally is ok, no more impossible to deal board, shit like that

The key (Avenge) is dead, their 2-4 play dead, the follow-up dead (dr balanced)

I'm OK to play around repentance, their big ass minion must killed twice cause redemption kind of suck tho.. the variant maybe down to that style

Yeah this is how I feel. Sure secret pally might still be around but their entire early game that can easily spiral out of control will be gone. No more creeper, no more shielded bot, no more muster, no more cog, and on top of all that no more avenge to threaten you from killing stuff if you have a weak board.

They are losing quite literally half their deck and I doubt most of the cards going away are going to find as good replacements in standard.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
No cards yesterday, no cards today? Nah it's cool, I can wait until tomorrow for the stream.

N7UOoz0.gif

Do you have Ysera? I see her a lot in those decks.

First time I get to 7 wins in Arena without losses.

Not in the image: ~Blizzard, Frost Elemental, Argent Commander and North Sea Kraken x2.

Despite the obviously good cards like Fireball and Ethereal Conjurer I wasn't really confident because of the few meh minions I had to pick and prior experience with good looking decks getting bad results. Maybe it was because I didn't find any paladins but the mages were equally annoying with the constant removal danger.

Thanks to this run I appreciate Ethereal Conjurer more. He was easilly killed, the picks weren't the best in the world but even then the card advantage he gave was really valuable.
If there's one thing I've learned in Arena drafting, it's to never not take as many North Sea Kraken's as you can. My first 10-win run had 4 in the deck, and the game would consistently let me draw all 4 in a row once I got to top decking.

gutshot

I'll definitely be playing Wild. I want to try to make a broken Deathrattle hunter deck with N'Zoth as a finisher, bringing back all my Shredders, Belchers, and Highmanes.

Heropon

If there's one thing I've learned in Arena drafting, it's to never not take as many North Sea Kraken's as you can. My first 10-win run had 4 in the deck, and the game would consistently let me draw all 4 in a row once I got to top decking.

I'd consider a bit the curve before blindly choosing North Sea Kraken but it really is that good. My first 7 win warrior had 3 and the constant Kraken rain was funny. Too bad that it loses so badly to the "I don't care, I go face with my coghammers, truesilvers and lances" paladins, I always find them in Arena and I get extremely mad/salty.

Top Bottom