• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

inky

I don't think the nerf to ancient of lore is as bad as some see it. A 5/5 body and draw a card is decent enough in the late game to keep you going.

Druid will be playing tons of large creatures now so you basically get another turn out of it.

I think it will still see play.

It's definitely bad. A 5/5 body isn't terrible in and of itself, but at 7 mana you are giving up too much presence in a class with crap removal. 2 cards were absolutely worth that risk, 1 card is probably not. I also disagree with the notion that a)it automatically made its way into every popular deck, because it didn't and b) it had as much of an effect in games as people think it had.

Maybe that's what it's missing. Give it +1 spell damage.

It's missing something. It's too big of a nerf for a card that absolutely needs to be strong.

My opinions:

Ancient of Lore: Now overcosted, card should be a 6/5 or a 5/6
Force of Nature: Fine, won't see play, but that combo had to go
Keeper of the grove: I'm fine with this, will likely still see play
Ironbeak Owl: Spellbreaker buff.
BGH: Not what I was expecting. Card is now horrifically bad against aggro decks, which is probably good
Hunter's Mark: Didn't think this card was a problem
Blade Flurry: Absolutely destroyed. This card is now trash tier
Knife Juggler: Not good enough. I'd prefer the card be made 3 mana
Leper Gnome: Fine
Arcane Golem: Needed to be done, but will never see play again
Mountain Giant: Right in line with what I expected
Master of Disguise: Same as Mountain Giant

Leaving Alex alone is a massive mistake IMO

Crosseyes

Banned
Seems they played it conservative with most nerfs this time with stuff like leper, owl and juggler. Arcane golem is junk now though I think thats for the best. RIP blade flurry but hey maybe there's god's own daggers coming in the common card dump soon that'll take the edge off.

Wunder

Molten Giant too, but 0 mana cards are always going to be a problem in the future, so that's fair.

I think Keeper of the Grove nerf is one bit too far too. It'd be interesting to see how it would've worked at 5 mana instead of a 2/2 body and keeping it at 4.

Yeah Molten Giant was an inevitability as BGH and Giants go hand in hand. The Keeper nerf is a step too far too I agree. Perhaps a 2/3 or something, but I don't feel too bad about it as I didn't really like that card much anyway.

gutshot

Weird nerfs. I feel like they went way too far nerfing some cards that weren't that problematic (Blade Flurry, Ancient of Lore) and not nearly far enough on ones that are an issue (Knife Juggler, Ironbeak Owl).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I dunno. It is still a huge swing card and it's existence is a large reason big minions not named boom are ignored.

It's an actual tech choice now though. You could play a BGH as a 3 mana 4/2 against aggro or mid-range and it wasn't a complete disaster.

Like The Black Knight is a gigantic tempo swing against big Taunts, but you don't see it at all since it doesn't work in enough match ups.

I am so looking forward to the freeze mage meta.

Alex and Divine Favor untouched but Hunter's Mark gets nerfed and Blade Fury is now complete shit? What the fuck?

Weird nerfs. I feel like they went way too far nerfing some cards that weren't that problematic (Blade Flurry, Ancient of Lore) and not nearly far enough on ones that are an issue (Knife Juggler, Ironbeak Owl).
Why would anyone play a 3 mana 2/1 when you get +2/+2 for only 1 extra mana? I think both Owl and Grove are dead.

bjaelke

I do absolutely love the Molten Giant change. It gives me an idea for some healing-inspired decks.
355.gif

Throw in a Malygos and you got yourself a lethal combination.

Dahbomb

Why would anyone play a 3 mana 2/1 when you get +2/+2 for only 1 extra mana? I think both Owl and Grove are dead.
Grove has 2 damage option which is still very relevant.

Owl dead in any midrange or control deck because of Spellbreaker but Hunter decks will still use it for the Beast tag.

Mulgrok

Going to see a lot mroe spellbreakers in play since keeper and owl are probably worse stat for stat. Keeper can be used for 2 damage though... still probably not worth it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Owl being one more mana just slows down what you can do when you play it as well, which can be painful given a lot of aggro decks are based around winning a turn or two before other decks take control of the game.

Dahbomb

Cards that got better as a result of the nerfs:

Spellbreaker
Leeroy Jenkins
I think Eleven Archer got better too compared to Leper Gnome. Also Wolfrider but that was always used in aggressive decks so not much has changed.

Shaman still has access to cheap silence effect and crazy burst damage from hand. Aside from Hunter and Warrior, it will probably be the next best counter to Freeze Mage in the new meta.

inky

Grove has 2 damage option which is still very relevant.

Owl dead in any midrange or control deck because of Spellbreaker but Hunter decks will still use it for the Beast tag.

It's not that relevant. Stormpike is only 1 mana more and has 2 more ATT stats, and that card is already unplayable. More people use the silence effect, but with the 2/2 body where's the CLASS card advantage? It's excessive.

Owzers

Most glaring omission is Alexstrasza. Leaving Freeze Mage untouched is going to be such a massive mistake, especially with Loatheb and Healbot gone. Hope you guy like playing control Warrior.

Also Rockbiter/Doomhammer not being touched means aggro Shaman will be essentially untouched as well.

And yeah, not nerfing Divine Favor is beyond stupid. Fuck Paladin.

I kept waiting to scroll to find Alex and then it ended.....

Dahbomb

It's not that relevant. Stormpike is only 1 mana more and has 2 more ATT stats, and that card is already unplayable. More people use the silence effect, but with the 2/2 body where's the CLASS card advantage? It's excessive.
The class advantage is the choice.

Look at cards like Wrath, individually the options are bad but together it makes for a good card.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think between Freeze Mage and Aggro Shaman staying around, good heals for each class are going to be needed.

You would probably need that Paladin forbidden card in both match ups, but played at different times.

So what cards out of these are "disenchant all copies" tier?

Probably just Blade Flurry, Master of Disguise and Arcane Golem I guess? Maybe Force of Nature as well.

Golem just seems unplayable now. Yeah it's a 4/4 but you give your opponent a crystal
It's a worse Dancing Swords and Dancing Swords was already terrible.

Probably just Blade Flurry, Master of Disguise and Arcane Golem I guess? Maybe Force of Nature as well.

All of them, you can just recraft them if you want them for zero net loss.

Apathy

I think between Freeze Mage and Aggro Shaman staying around, good heals for each class are going to be needed.

You would probably need that Paladin forbidden card in both match ups, but played at different times.

Yeah, suddenly that forbidden healing card is amazing, and paladins are better healers than priests. Also, after an alex vs freeze you jsut need 4 or more mana to stay alive with it. You might be able to skirt by with a 6 or 5 mana card with the heal

Portugeezer

Regarding the combo, the problem was Savage Roar not Force of Nature...

But I get that they want to keep Token Druid a thing, at least that way it requires interacting with minions.

Golem just seems unplayable now. Yeah it's a 4/4 but you give your opponent a crystal

Yeah, the battlecry counters the value of this card (if played on curve).

inky

The class advantage is the choice.

Look at cards like Wrath, individually the options are bad but together it makes for a good card.

I know it's the choice, what I'm saying is that the 2/4 for 4 mana already accounted for that. It's worse than minions that did that by themselves (Stormwind Knight is a 2/5 with charge for 4, Spellbreaker is a 4/3 with silence for 4). The choice can't still be an advantage when you murder the stats on top of that.

I don't think Wrath's options individually are bad. They are balanced to the class. 2 mana, deal 1 damage draw 1 card, 2 mana deal 3 damage is perfectly in line with the rest of the game. The choice put it ahead and Keeper doesn't do that anymore. Meanwhile a problematic minion: Knife Juggler, completely misses the point and gets a nothing nerf.

Pooya

I saw thijs coming back from the event back in March and he was talking about how freeze mage going to be in standard, he didn't even question if the deck is going to be around or not. So yeah, here it is.

Dahbomb

I would probably DE my second copy of BGH and Keeper of Lore honestly if I really need the dust. Maybe Force of Nature too.

Definitely dusting Arcane Golem. I will be keeping Blade Flurry for my dank Control Rogue.

Raxus

It's an actual tech choice now though. You could play a BGH as a 3 mana 4/2 against aggro or mid-range and it wasn't a complete disaster.

Like The Black Knight is a gigantic tempo swing against big Taunts, but you don't see it at all since it doesn't work in enough match ups.
The difference being TBK died when people figured out they can abuse silence. BGH still has some purpose. Overall I thought they would be harsher nerfs. Particularly to knife juggler and owl.

I do agree BGH is now a bigger tech choice but rush still comes across as pretty strong.

Divine Favor and Alex missing the cut is unforgivable. Will make the next round of nerfs for sure.

Dahbomb

Wrath has no downside except that it can't hit face.
Wrath is a worse Dark Bomb which is a worse Frost Bolt. Keeper doesn't have a "downside" either, it just does something worse than another card individually but unlike other cards it can do something else as well.

georly

Wonder which legendary I'll buy with all my nerf card disenchants.

I'll probably follow kripp advice and literally disenchant every single one of them (possible) and just re-craft them later if I still want them.

Ridli

Holy crap at that blade flurry nerf. Card is basically unplayable now. Good time to be a skulker I guess.

BGH is basically tech against handlock now, which I suppose is allright.

gutshot

Just counted and I will get 840 dust from the nerfs. Would have been a lot more except I had a big disenchant fest a while back where I disenchanted a bunch of Classic and GvG cards, thinking if they were ever gonna get nerfed, it would have already happened by now. One of the cards I disenchanted was a golden Blade Flurry too. :/

Top Bottom