• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dahbomb and I are going to try AGAIN to do a stream tonight. We'll start with the nerfs and go into the cards if we have time. I have already tested my stream and it looks like my upload rate is good to go. Pending some ridiculous shenanigans from my ISP of course.

Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when this happens!
https://www.twitch.tv/zealousdemon

Dahbomb

That Totem card is probably the weakest card Shaman has gotten and all things considered it's still not that bad of a card.

Crosseyes

Banned
Rogue's gonna live or die by its new minion quality since their burst potential got a lot weaker now (southsea-cold blood now? Lol). Hopefully the card generation from their new stuff like huckster makes rogue a queen of resources to spend and keep combos triggering

My surprise mvp of the set is corrupted loothoarder.

Without scientist, freeze mage may need a bit more card draw and another body to stall out the game. It seems to fit the bill nicely leading into turn 9 alex, turn 10 "lol at your c'thun hitting iceblock", dead game.

That Totem card is probably the weakest card Shaman has gotten and all things considered it's still not that bad of a card.

Yeah, I just misread it, which is why I was surprised it was never brought up before.

It'd be better if there were more Totems like Totem Golem in that they were just basic minions. Still cool to see that there are more interesting one Mana cards being added though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Odd, there is only 13 cards in total that buff C'Thun. There is 4 others that interact with it, but they clearly said there would be 16 that would buff it. I wonder if some cards got scrapped or changed after the initial announcement. Even if they were including the cards that did stuff when C'Thun has 10 attack, you are still off 1 card.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Odd, there is only 13 cards in total that buff C'Thun. There is 4 others that interact with it, but they clearly said there would be 16 that would buff it. I wonder if some cards got scrapped or changed after the initial announcement. Even if they were including the cards that did stuff when C'Thun has 10 attack, you are still off 1 card.

Clearly they meant cards that interact with it, and I think they said as much at some point. The weird part is that there's 17 not 16.

gutshot

I like how it synergies with Totem Golem though. Coin+Totem Golem is now a really scary opening. Turn 2 Yeti? Yes, please.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So yeah, Mechs are super dead. 2 mechs total, and only 1 of them playable (Even then, Psych-o-Tron doesn't strike me as too amazing)

fertygo

these shaman card is ridiculous man.. the game that Frodan played is unreal of power showcase

The Shaman dominate the board, buff and heal their minion with evolve and master of evol

Frodan overturn the board, Shaman respond with Healzeal combo with Elemental Destruction, complete heal the hero.. and 3/2 minion unlock the overload, nuts.

Desaan

Shaman looks to have got a lot more options this time around. Rogues however look dead in the water to me but at least the legendary isn't as bad as the mage one, they nerf blade flurry but get no new weapons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pooya

I'm just looking at C'thun druid. It's going to be insane. There are just walls after walls, even with Black Knight you're not going to get through 2 bears, 2 wars, 2 c'thun card and twin emperor. Stuff you can't kill all with high enough attack that when left on board savage roar just kills you, you don't even need c'thun to win. You have card draw still without lore, nourish draws 3, you can buff your bears +2/+2 and draw a card. I think it's going to be one of the top decks, easily best c'thun deck. it's pretty much a new mid range druid.

these shaman card is ridiculous man.. the game that Frodan played is unreal of power showcase

The Shaman dominate the board, buff and heal their minion with evolve and master of evol

Frodan overturn the board, Shaman respond with Healzeal combo with Elemental Destruction, complete heal the hero.. and 3/2 minion unlock the overload, nuts.

Having to deal with tunnel troggs and totem golems knowing that flamewreathed faceless is coming.
sadcam.png

V-Faction

Primal Fusion is actually a 3-mana card (2 for Hero Power). Even if you already have a Totem existing on the board from the previous turn, getting another +1/+1 is probably worth it.

Hmm. Dancing Master play? Garrison Commander? Lady of the Lake? It would also synergize with Frost Giant and TFB.

Earth Totem = Black Ranger
Wind Totem = Pink Ranger
Fire Totem = Red Ranger
Air Totem = Blue Ranger
Flametongue = Yellow Ranger
Mana Tide = Green Ranger
Totem Golem = White Ranger

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
9 out 12 wasn't bad I guess...

Still man you gotta tell us what Blizzard was thinking with that Blade Flurry change.

Honestly, no idea. I think it's possible that the old version being able to actually hit face *twice* (swing, then flurry) might have had something to do with it, but that's just a guess (I'm not on the HS team).

And yeah, not bad at all on the guesses! There are some smart analysts on these threads (as well as some people who should never try to design a game, lol).

Darkspeaker is a super intriguing card. Even the way they used it on the stream (swapping stats with a Mana Tide Totem) makes me wonder if it has some potential.

Pooya

I've no idea how I'm supposed to deal with a 4 mana 7/7 and sea giants. It's just so bad if you're not warrior. That thing hits face once you're losing.

dakrshire alchemist should have been a neutral card :(

Owzers

I've no idea how I'm supposed to deal with a 4 mana 7/7 and sea giants. It's just so bad if you're not warrior. That thing hits face once you're losing.

I already have a tough time with aggro as renolock, might as well go all in with losing early.

glad the druid combo is gone in a couple of days

it wasn't completely stupid til thaurissan, but it's boring to both play as and play vs since it's been what the class has been built around for years. It got me to my first and only golden portrait, but there was no reason for it to have been in the game for this long.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
glad the druid combo is gone in a couple of days

it wasn't completely stupid til thaurissan, but it's boring to both play as and play vs since it's been what the class has been built around for years. It got me to my first and only golden portrait, but there was no reason for it to have been in the game for this long.

Could be gone as soon as tomorrow. Nerfs will be with the patch which in the past has been several days before the release.

sibarraz

Banned
I had been lucky, been facing only tempo mages with my patron warrior

Is always cool to play unstable ghoul with patron warrior and death's bite on his last hit

Well, finally exhausted my pity timer on Classic packs and got King Krush.

At least it's one I didn't have but I'm guessing I'll need a Cairne here soon so definitely would have preferred that.

Regardless, everything I have left is probably going toward WOG packs.

Well, finally exhausted my pity timer on Classic packs and got King Krush.

At least it's one I didn't have but I'm guessing I'll need a Cairne here soon so definitely would have preferred that.

Regardless, everything I have left is probably going toward WOG packs.

I just can't see cairne being that useful. Sylvanas, on the other hand, I could see being a big player again, at least before cairne.

Nerubian Prophet could be kind of interesting in Shaman as well. If you kept it in your starting hand you could play it on turn 3 then trade into something and evolve it on turn 4 for a 7 mana minion.

I just can't see cairne being that useful. Sylvanas, on the other hand, I could see being a big player again, at least before cairne.

I just kind of imagined Cairne as the holy trinity for N'Zoth Paladin along with Sylvanas and Tirion but who knows, maybe it won't work as well as I imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50cTsxicqSQ

thatsadmirable reviews the entire set (3 hour video). I've been paying a quarter attention for like an hour, its pretty decent afaik. I also clearly missed some card reveals... like shatter (2 mana destroy frozen minion).

Nerubian Prophet could be kind of interesting in Shaman as well. If you kept it in your starting hand you could play it on turn 3 then trade into something and evolve it on turn 4 for a 7 mana minion.

I just kind of imagined Cairne as the holy trinity for N'Zoth Paladin along with Sylvanas and Tirion but who knows, maybe it won't work as well as I imagine.

I think the problem is, if they have like a 5 health minion on board already, cairne is kinda useless on its own. Cairne would actually be better as a 5/4 summoning a 5/4 imo. It lets you cash in on the value faster. Sylvanas being a 5/5 lets her trade faster at least, and with silence being a bit weaker, sylvanas is perhaps a bit stronger. Same goes for cairne I guess, but I think you lose much more when cairne does get silenced.

Sheroking

The same way you deal with a Fireguard Destroyer when it rolls a 7. Mostly, ignore it and play more stuff than them, forcing them to have to address your board while they only have access to 3 mana on turn 5.

The only way I see that card being played is in aggro Shaman, and even then I think it's probably better value for them to just play more small stuff. If there's a turn that deck regularly does not want to be overloaded, it's turn 5.

Tarazet

The same way you deal with a Fireguard Destroyer when it rolls a 7. Mostly, ignore it and play more stuff than them, forcing them to have to address your board while they only have access to 3 mana on turn 5.

The only way I see that card being played is in aggro Shaman, and even then I think it's probably better value for them to just play more small stuff. If there's a turn that deck regularly does not want to be overloaded, it's turn 5.

I don't see it being an aggro card per se. Great aggro cards have an immediate or unavoidable impact. There are lots of effective counters for beef, but not so much for constant pressure starting from turn 1. The last thing you want to do as an aggro deck is commit 6 mana to something that isn't guaranteed to do any damage. Eternal Sentinel is a great aggro card. Disciple of C'Thun also has potential to be used in a list like this even with no synergy whatsoever. The 1-drop spot is the one that is notably emptier after the Leper Gnome nerf. None of the new ones are really playable on turn 1. Only Zealous Initiate has the potential to be mildly annoying.

Apathy

That 3/2/1 diciple of cthun that has a battlecry of 2 damage is something I want to run even in non cthun decks, just for the battlecry

Sheroking

I don't see it being an aggro card per se. Great aggro cards have an immediate or unavoidable impact. There are lots of effective counters for beef, but not so much for constant pressure starting from turn 1. The last thing you want to do as an aggro deck is commit 6 mana to something that isn't guaranteed to do any damage. Eternal Sentinel is a great aggro card. Disciple of C'Thun also has potential to be used in a list like this even with no synergy whatsoever. The 1-drop spot is the one that is notably emptier after the Leper Gnome nerf. None of the new ones are really playable on turn 1. Only Zealous Initiate has the potential to be mildly annoying.

It's an aggro card in the same sense that Fel Reaver was. Play a monster stat-line and march face over and over with it before they have the mana and tools to answer it. It just has no potential use in ANY other archetype that I can see.

Now, having said that, I think it's a BAD aggro card and won't see play - even in face Shaman decks. Even if that deck did have room for it, it doesn't want to overload on turn 5. It'd rather play some chargers.

Tarazet

That 3/2/1 diciple of cthun that has a battlecry of 2 damage is something I want to run even in non cthun decks, just for the battlecry

It's a good card, but Argent Horserider is better, because you can use it the same way as Disciple or you can also get more immediate reach by combining it with other cards. Charge is really, really strong.

Tarazet

It's an aggro card in the same sense that Fel Reaver was. Play a monster stat-line and march face over and over with it before they have the mana and tools to answer it. It just has no potential use in ANY other archetype that I can see.

Fel Reaver worked in one specific Druid list, because it could be ramped out in an early turn before anyone was prepared to deal with an 8/8. On curve it was dead dead dead.

Top Bottom