• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

KuroNeeko

After watching the stream, I really dug what Blizz was going for with this set. I don't know that they'll be successful, most of the new deck archtypes like C'thun Priest seem more like a "theme deck" -- something to just get utterly wrecked by Face Shaman or some other super-serious, super competitive deck.

I also think it's a shame that the Adventure probably won't expand on the set either. No more Old God enablers / buffers. Everything we see here will *probably* be it. That said, I went from wanting to craft Ysera, Thalnos, and maybe Rags to wanting to craft the new Yogg, deathrattle Old God, and 3/2 rogue legendary just because they seemed so cool.

Has Blizz mentioned what a typical year will consist of? Are we looking at one expansion and one adventure each year? Or two expansions and one adventure? One new infusion of content every six months seems too spread out, but one every four months seems too rushed...

Just to mirror everyone else, I think Shaman is going to be everywhere. My three main classes up until now have been Priest / Rogue / Shaman in that order, and I was looking forward to getting more Totem Shaman play, but the fact that they'll be so abundant kind of turns me off the class. Maybe I'll play Murloc Pally or start messing around with Mage instead.

Rogue looks like it's getting pushed into some gimmicky Deathrattle archtype (or maybe Auctioneer.) Priest...I don't know, but you know I'm gonna try to make C'thun work. Power Word: Tentacles has some awesome art and the gold is gonna look good, but holy crap is it crap. Maybe Priest will start going a Handlock-ish route and use Defender of Argus with the new class-specific healbot dood that heals 5 and other high statted creatures...as of right now, I don't know how it's going to survive the Shaman Apocalypse.

Power Word: Tentacles is an incredibly bad card name.

I'm really tempted to pre-order the 50 packs. The only time I've spent money on this game was buying Naxx.

I'm less tempted because I'm getting 13 free packs and will have enough for 20 more next week. 33 packs to start off with...seems like a good number, you know?

Ladekabel

I've been spoiled and shouldn't expect more but if I don't get 5+ legendaries with my >45 packs, I'm going to be mad! Got two within the fifteen I bought for TGT.

Owzers

I'm hoping for at least two legendaries......i have to get one, so i might as well aim high at two.

still haven't pre-ordered yet because i think i'll only get one.

rukland

I'm less tempted because I'm getting 13 free packs and will have enough for 20 more next week. 33 packs to start off with...seems like a good number, you know?

I am right there with you. Expect by next week I should be able to get at least 56 or so packs with gold. I have not spent any in a long time. So it will be really close to 70 packs I think that should be a good start.

ricelord

50 packs from preorder
around 65 packs from gold
13 free packs
and over 6000 dust from the nerf.

tuesday is gonna be a nice day.

ZenaxPure

I feel like Yogg Saron exists only for Trolden.

If I don't get Yogg from any of my packs I am crafting him first thing, it just looks like a fun card to play regardless of what happens at the end of it all. I assume in Wild he can use every spell right? Will be my go to Wild deck when I want to see funny things happen.

Is it though?
The alternative interpretation is that Blizzard said they really just wanted people to spend less money and had a surge of generosity. Which makes sense to you?

I am right there with you. Expect by next week I should be able to get at least 56 or so packs with gold. I have not spent any in a long time. So it will be really close to 70 packs I think that should be a good start.
Damn!

I think people might be a bit premature calling doom on rogue. I think most of the new cards are pretty good, especially xaril. I think thistle tea is the one we'll probably not see (along with blade of cthun if cthun rogue isn't played).

As for blade flurry nerf, well... IIRC deathrattle rogue could never really work it in well anyway. And that is the direction rogue seems to be going into and the new cards also support that.

Sure, the older identify of burst damage rogue is kinda dead, but perhaps a new identity emerges with this new set. It still has prep + sprint to cycle cards. And it got an amazing (imo) tempo removal card in the form of shadowstrike. I think before "raptor" rogue was a bit premature. I felt that way before even LOE came out. But now I am optimistic about deathrattle rogue being good. Not sure about n'zoth fitting in it though. It seems like that could be an altnerative win condition to what will probably be cold blood stuff.

edit:
Also remember people were calling rogue dead in GVG cause it got a lot of bad and merely okay cards? It only took them really 1 card to make a top deck and oil rogue was a heavy hitter pre-BRM and even had some top status later on at times in the meta.

Sheroking

Fel Reaver worked in one specific Druid list, because it could be ramped out in an early turn before anyone was prepared to deal with an 8/8. On curve it was dead dead dead.

Fel Reaver was run in an especially aggressive Mech Mage for a while as well.

My point isn't that either of these cards are good, only that playing them only makes sense if you're running at an opponents face. Both the 7/7 and Fel Reaver are bad cards.

Pooya

With this new 'identity', might as well put a Sir Finely in your rogue decks because the hero power isn't very relevant now past the early game, not even that. you want to play stuff every turn, it's like a zoo deck. Getting lifetap or lesser heal against aggro is probably better than your own hero power. It's always going to be a worse zoo, you don't have a card that can get you back on board after losing it, the new deathrattle cards are about random value in your hand and hardly on board and warlock has a new token card.

The other problem is that people that enjoyed playing that style of rogue aren't going to care about this style of play, it's like anti thesis to it. Amnesiac was on stream earlier with crane/justsaiyan/Laughing reviewing class cards and he was still hoping to play miracle in Blizzcon, not optimistic but hopeful still, he straight up said "I'm not going to play fucking raptor rogue". raptor rogue isn't even good, I'd say it's probably worse than miracle with gimped flurry. Crane was really depressed about warrior cards too, it's not looking very good there either.

-----------------

That new pirate card is so damn bad. When first saw it I thought it was battlecry and I thought that's pretty good, that's in line with what I was hoping but like an hour later I noticed it's deathrattle. Like who designs this shit. You dagger up turn 2 hit, turn 3 you either have to hit and dagger up again if you want to play this, more likely you want to play something and you can't hit if this in your hand. The problem is even when you it play it you can't hit. So you can't hit with dagger like the turn after you play it in case you can actually kill your 4 drop otherwise you risk it to fizzle out, you don't want to play a 4 mana 4/4 right, it needs so much set up to be worth anything. It's just so damn bad. Then other classes get a yeti that gains plus +5 health or put a bigger thing on board, what a joke.

With this new 'identity', might as well put a Sir Finely in your rogue decks because the hero power isn't very relevant now past the early game, not even that. you want to play stuff every turn, it's like a zoo deck. Getting lifetap or lesser heal against aggro is probably better than your own hero power. It's always going to be a worse zoo, you don't have a card that can get you back on board after losing it, the new deathrattle cards about random value in your hand and hardly on board and warlock has a new token card.

The other problem is that people that enjoyed playing that style of rogue aren't going to care about this style of play, it's like anti thesis to it. Amnesiac was on stream earlier with crane/justsaiyan/Laughing reviewing class cards and he was still hoping to play miracle in Blizzcon, not optimistic but hopeful still, he straight up said "I'm not going to play fucking raptor rogue". raptor rogue isn't even good, I'd say it's probably worse than miracle with gimped flurry.

Well now that you mention it, I can still see miracle rogue work... just seems a lot worse without the blade flurry hitting face. So you either cut blade flurry out and lose if your opponent gets ahead in tempo and hits hard enough, or include it and take a tempo loss. The strat still seems to work which is: you cycling enough cards to get to your finisher, which is likely some cold blood, bloodsail raider, faceless copy combo. The loss of blade flurry does kinda hurt your chances of surviving long enough, or having additional outs to win the game though.

I'm not sure if raptor is certainly included in the new rogue deck. It certainly seems like it'll be staple. I don't see sir finely going in the deck. Rogue hero power is still very good in the early game for tempoing purposes, but I could see it being used to transition into a more aggressive or defensive mid game.

I don't know about it being a worse zoo though. Rogue has access to some cards zoo can only dream of. Si7 agent, weapons, tons of cheap spells that work with violet teacher, backstab... These things set the decks apart. And that could mean very different match ups with other decks being played. It's only a worse zoo if it has exactly the same match ups but with worse winrates.

edit:
On the other hand, blade flurry being done for is probably a good thing for rogue. Cause do we really want miracle rogue to stick around forever? I mean... move on amensiac. Forget about miracle rogue.

Pooya

you can play a minion heavy miracle deck, the kind that lifecoach plays. Amnesiac was thinking about that too, minion miracle he calls it, Essentially you out value your opponent out with gadgetzan and there is always coldblood conceal gimmick too. It doesn't sound that good but that deck does not rely on flurry finish. I don't think malygos version will be very good.

raptor zoo, I don't know, even if it becomes the best deck in the game, I'm just not very interested in playing the class like that even, it's not just about power level, it's boring.

you can play a minion heavy miracle deck, the kind that lifecoach plays. Amnesiac was thinking about that too, minion miracle he calls it, Essentially you out value your opponent out with gadgetzan and there is always coldblood conceal gimmick too. It doesn't sound that good but that deck does not rely on flurry finish. I don't think malygos version will be very good.

raptor zoo, I don't know, even if it becomes the best deck in the game, I'm just not very interested in playing the class like that even, it's not just about power level, it's boring.

I thought that way about raptor rogue in LOE, but xaril, huckster, journey below... these are very interesting cards to me. I'll have to look into minion miracle. Seems like it could work well with new cards like journey below and xaril. Gadgetzan could actually just really fit into a deck I am developing... I was already thinking about how it could work out and if it would be consistent enough.

jgminto

If Rogue just becomes another class focused on curving out minions, that's going to be so disappointing. Maybe I'll play more Mill...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Raptor Rogue seems like it'll always be stuck in a similar place hobgoblin is. It's a deck that relies so much on tempo, but is completely worthless the 50% of the time you don't draw the curve you want.

The only way it becomes super good is if Rogue becomes super good, and people decide to tech in Raptor as a secondary win condition along side whatever super good other card Rogue gets.

jgminto

Good luck using Mill without Healbot.
Damn it...
Raptor Rogue seems like it'll always be stuck in a similar place hobgoblin is. It's a deck that relies so much on tempo, but is completely worthless the 50% of the time you don't draw the curve you want.

The only way it becomes super good is if Rogue becomes super good, and people decide to tech in Raptor as a secondary win condition along side whatever super good other card Rogue gets.
It's definitely not as bad as Hobgoblin, since most of the stuff is totally fine to play on its own. You just play your early drops and raptor whatever is on board. It's basically a higher curve Zoo deck.

The alternative interpretation is that Blizzard said they really just wanted people to spend less money and had a surge of generosity. Which makes sense to you?

I haven't seen the vitriol for standard that would make it anything other than a conspiracy theory.

The alternative alternative interpretation is that Blizzard thinks giving packs away might incentivize new players or people who haven't played in a while to come to the game, since it's a good way to get everyone on a level playing field right away.

fertygo

Rogue eventually would be OP again, and that's TERRIFYING thought.. I heard you guys that playing from Beta already experienced it, its will happened again for sure because cyclical nature that started from now.

OP Rogue is gonna dominate the game harder than Paladin or Shaman despite their gifted cheat broken card, Rogue's Hero Power and basic card is just too good.. the only way to gimped the class is made sure they didn't have too many good card.. but its will changed sooner than later if Blizz seeing class too weak to compete, they buff it again and like always overdo it.. and what happened if they overdo buffing Rogue? I can only imagine one scenario, GG.

honestly I am fine w/ combo decks like malyrogue and malylock b/c they weren't super awesome and still were more interactive compared to freeze mage, which is sad b/c malygos is looking pretty bottom tier with the nerf of these two classes in standard. I'm sure freezemage will still survive somehow in standard and still be super dumb to play against

Anilones

As there appears to be a lack of weapons is there going to be less use of Harrison Jones in Standard? He was in my to-be-crafted list, but see him being a bit of a waste.

ViviOggi

Miracle was only ever rampant when it had the 4-mana Leeroy win condition in a largely taunt-free, pre-Belcher meta. Since then Blizzard has been killing charge finishers left and right which ensures such a situation can never happen again.

That aside I'll take Rogue dominance over autopilot curvelord spam any day of the week but clearly that is non-interactive anti-fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
As there appears to be a lack of weapons is there going to be less use of Harrison Jones in Standard? He was in my to-be-crafted list, but see him being a bit of a waste.

It'll mostly depend on what classes are strong/prevalent. Shaman especially is a pretty big unknown, since they're looking really good but also have a fairly diverse pick of weapons now...if that 4/2 weapon sees play Harrison actually dies to the deathrattle summon.

I think Black Knight is looking to be a very strong pocket card over Harrison for now.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I would like to repost this picture so people have some context for just how many cards they'll be getting. Personally, I have 5k gold saved up and this picture really has me teetering on buying a pre-order set. I mean, go big or go home, y'know? Also, getting 113 packs just rachets up my collection rate to 75%. Then I can start playing Arena again!

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-much-cash-does-it-cost-to-get-all-the-grand-tournament-cards/
Completion is ~75% @ 100 packs considering dust. Also this is for TGT numbers. I forget is WotoG is more or less cards.
9LU-Mm9ztrRc5VkFaUGySxMvjubiIcpPdnG7JLWNv8idDErPkvPNY7R8pYj1fdRbTsXYUD7ZSseHmt9Kpo2uDUphf9DmMcQ9Je5NvfBRLOle7F9tIqnuvqtBHyNQcWMa-Vttigs

Footos22

I have 3k saved up. That didn't take long at all so 43 packs should be alright

I should really still get around to buying blackrock but I haven't felt I need to yet.

Sheroking

"Curving out with minions is so dumb and uninteractive".
*wants to draw out the entire deck and OTK with some absurd bullshit burst combo in two turns*

Yeah okay.

Miracle Rogue is still the worst thing Hearthstone has ever had to suffer. Fucking Undertaker Hunter and Secret Paladin look in at awe at the bullshit of pre-nerf Rogue.

Maximo

I have 3k saved up. That didn't take long at all so 43 packs should be alright

I should really still get around to buying blackrock but I haven't felt I need to yet.

Only bothered with the first wing myself since you get Emperor which is pretty decent in most decks.

Emperor is such a stupid card, soils reputation of combo decks with all these degenerate combos without offering any counterplay. Patron, midrange druid, freeze mage, just ugh.

ZeroX03

Banned
2500 gold and 5000 dust saved up. Add 13 free packs to that and I think I'm probably settled for Old Gods, I only care for the cards I need rather than set completion. Unless all the cards I need end up being Epic or Legendary, in which case I'll just suffer. We'll see how things settle, I'm eyeing a few epics.

jgminto

"Curving out with minions is so dumb and uninteractive".
*wants to draw out the entire deck and OTK with some absurd bullshit burst combo in two turns*

Yeah okay.

Miracle Rogue is still the worst thing Hearthstone has ever had to suffer. Fucking Undertaker Hunter and Secret Paladin look in at awe at the bullshit of pre-nerf Rogue.
Rogue hasn't been combo focused in quite a while. Oil definitely isn't played in that fashion and Rogue as a combo class is one of the lightest offenders. Warlock is a stronger charge combo class and Malygos Rogue doesn't stand above other classes that use him. But now a lot of things that make Rogue will go out the window with Blade Flurry. Working with a limited health pool that you tap into for removal while developing a more strategic board state is definitely more interest than 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8 with no further thought.

Who's got the most insightful set analysis out right now? I don't follow anyone Hearthstone related or know who's who.

Kripp will have a long review up on youtube in a couple of hours. I think he does a great job of looking at cards from both a constructed and arena perspective.

He has five videos or so on the cards to date if you want to catch up.

Top Bottom