• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

JohnCYQ

So I went on to theorycraft for midrange/control pally, found that the new synergies are just not worth building around right now (Steward of Darkshire is just not good enough, even if you get 5 1/1 with divine shields when comboed with Stand Against Darkness).

Instead, I threw in the C'thun package and it seems to work quite well:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/500650-theorycraft-wotog-control-cthun-paladin

Curve-wise we have (1) Selfless Hero > (2) Beckoner of Evil > (3) Twilight Elder/Disciple of C'thun > (4) Truesilver/C'thun's Chosen > (5) Crazed Worshipper/Tuskar Jouster > (6) Emperor > (7) Twin Emperor > (8) Tirion/Ragnaros Lightlord

Aldor + double Uldaman provide control/removal for priority targets.
Tuskar/Ragnaros Lightlord/Lay on Hands/Forbidden Healing for heals.

Heropon

0o8UkaM.png

Final day of the pre-Standard era and all the quests are with Rogue. I suppose it's to remind me that I wasn't able to get a single Blade Flurry before its demise.

Playing these games I started to think that maybe I should craft Preparation x2 before Tirion or Grommash. Is it a sensible thing to do, or is Rogue doomed in Standard and I shouldn't even bother?

ViviOggi

Final day of the pre-Standard era and all the quests are with Rogue. I suppose it's to remind me that I wasn't able to get a single Blade Flurry before its demise.

Playing these games I started to think that maybe I should craft Preparation x2 before Tirion or Grommash. Is it a sensible thing to do, or is Rogue doomed in Standard and I shouldn't even bother?
Just do the quests in arena

Tomcat

Kripp streaming 16 hours later and pumping out 2 YouTube videos a day this week. That's some dedication and work.

The videos are 5 min talking about some crap and then videos of him playing arena. Probably it doesn't take him over an hour to make these videos.

Heropon

Just do the quests in arena

It isn't like I was doing too bad (in casual), it's just that I started to think if preparation is more necessary right now than improving my Paladin even more. With 5000 dust I suppose I should get the "basic" epics like a second Shield Slam or Preparation before starting to think about legendaries.

It isn't like I was doing too bad (in casual), it's just that I started to think if preparation is more necessary right now than improving my Paladin even more. With 5000 dust I suppose I should get the "basic" epics like a second Shield Slam or Preparation before starting to think about legendaries.

Craft Dr Boom. He'll still be broken in standard. Somehow.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So unsure whether to fork out £34 for packs or not, seems such a high price, wonder if i can get away with crafting and the 13 they give us

Dragner

There are ton of bad legendaries in this set(almost as bad as TGT). So the crafting cost of the new decks shouldnt be that high assuming you alteady have a good classic collection.

Lyng

There are ton of bad legendaries in this set(almost as bad as TGT). So the crafting cost of the new decks shouldnt be that high assuming you alteady have a good classic collection.

Yeah I got burned pretty hard on TGT so not going to buy the preorder this time.

greepoman

Craft Dr Boom. He'll still be broken in standard. Somehow.

"Boom bots now also deal their damage to random targets in other people's games (including standard)"

That actually sounds like something blizzard would do ...have like random events that can happen at random that do damage or healing or something. Cause we have to have more RNG that costs you the game at random.

Raxus

I can probably count on one hand the amount of good legendaries and one of those is literally handed to you day 1. Aside from that Shifter Zarus could prove to be a staple for most. The rest are dubious in quality and is arguably the worst of the class legendaries in some time.

I can probably count on one hand the amount of good legendaries and one of those is literally handed to you day 1. Aside from that Shifter Zarus could prove to be a staple for most. The rest are dubious in quality and is arguably the worst of the class legendaries in some time.

Hunter got a great legendary
Paladin got a good one
Shaman's is great
Rogue's is good
Druid's is okay
Warlock's is okay
Mage, Priest and Warrior got bad ones(Priest's has potential though)

They're better than the TGT legendaries on average, also Twin Emperor is a great one.

I kinda wanna try the warrior legendary in an aggro deck. Just seems like getting a 6/5 body plus another weapon could be ridiculously good if you're focused on going face. You're probably getting 6+ damage on average out of the weapon and potentially 6 from the body as well.

FeD.nL

Paladin got a good one
Shaman's is great
Rogue's is good
Druid's is okay
Warlock's is okay

They're better than the TGT legendaries on average, also Twin Emperor is a great one.

Yup and even than the mage/priest/warrior legendaries are way better than flame leviathan/fizzlebang etc. Any player jumping in now that gets a class legendary from one of their packs is going to have a useable card for their decks.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The Warrior legendary is quite good imo. In most cases it's got at least as much impact as a Fire Elemental on the turn you play him and on average it'll actually be slightly better. The average weapon is going to be slightly better than a Fiery War Axe and getting a Fiery War Axe is better than just dealing 3 damage.

Raxus

Paladin got a good one
Shaman's is great
Rogue's is good
Druid's is okay
Warlock's is okay

Hunter legendary relies on board control which automatically demotes it to 'good at best'
Paladin's is great but like most 8/8 drops it is up in the air how strong it will wind up being and if you'd rather run it instead of vanilla ragnaros (both?).

No arguments for the shaman one. Rogue is good....shame it comes at one of the most dire times for the class. You are underrating the druid card. It is pretty great. Especially when you go back and revisit all the choose cards. Expect to see a lot of the Choose one spells to become really popular!

Warlock is mediocre but I could be proven wrong. Warlock lost a bunch of its strong spells in the switch to wild. Also you can't Molten Giant as easy. Mage, Priest, and Warrior are hot garbagetrash tier. Damn shame too since if they retooled them they could have been great.

Pooya

Most the legendary cards are way worse than TGT actually, most TGT ones are perfectly playable and have reasonable effects only 2-3 are joke cards. Like the twin sisters, Saarad, Paletress a lot of others good and reasonable cards that didn't see much play but they are perfectly fine cards that you don't get sad seeing them in your packs.

Now this set has a LOT of joke cards, people will be sad opening packs later today. I hope I dodge Nat and that monster guy, they are really really bad. Skeleton Knight and Icehowl are way better, icehowl isn't even bad, it's great in astral druid.

Neutrals ones are mostly really awful, worse than some vanilla minions. Twin Emperor is the best one and then there is Hogger which is ok to strong but only makes sense for warrior to play it really and we have to see if it makes sense in the meta. The rest are just bad or whatever, like the Mukla one, it's not unplayable but it's not really good or irreplaceable either. Those that are not awful are really boring and don't do enough for their cost like the big taunt dude.

From the gods, N'Zoth has a strong effect but not a good deck in standard, the rogue recipe looks really really bad. I like to test it in some kind of divine shield, redemption, deathrattle paladin deck if I get it. The other one is just bad and Yogg is for trolden, no one will play that in a serious deck. It's not like Elise that looked like a joke card at first but ended up having a real purpose. You can't really plan for anything with this. C'Thun you get anyway and it's ok.

The class ones are more interesting. Druid, Hunter, shaman and rogue one are good to great, it's good to have them for your favorite class. Rag is strong too but I'm not sure it will have a deck. The rest are easier to see now to get value and are really unique.

Priest one is hard to use. Warrior one is RNG. Mage one... makes no sense they printed this. This is a card that could be good in a control mage but that's not going to be a thing in standard with all of their tools gone. Without duplicate, healbot, belcher, echo, it's hard to see a deck working with that card. Something like Rhonin was way better and is more suitable for similar decks.You could play it in wild maybe but even there I don't really see the point, mage doesn't have any problem clearing boards. Reno mage card maybe...yeah.
Cho'gall has a strong effect but only shadowflame is worth playing along with it and warlock in standard actually doesn't have that much health to spare without any good heals.

So overall I think there are only 4-5 class ones plus Twin Emperor that are worth having and spending dust on. Standard is fairly cheap to get into. There a lot of playable to good epics though this time like the monster taunt guy, that's a really good defensive tool in a right meta and it's going to cost ya.

KuroNeeko

Just curious, but how do you guys handle spectator quests?

Like, personally, I always ask before I spectate instead of just barging in, but it seems like the "no knock" approach is the norm?

bjaelke

Like, personally, I always ask before I spectate instead of just barging in, but it seems like the "no knock" approach is the norm?

People have the option to turn off spectator mode if they prefer privacy. If not, then I consider it an open invitation.

luoapp

Just say "thanks for the quest" once, either before or after.

KuroNeeko

Most the legendary cards are way worse than TGT actually, most TGT ones are perfectly playable and have reasonable effects only 2-3 are joke cards. Like the twin sisters, Saarad, Paletress a lot of others goo cards that didn't see much play but they are perfectly fine cards that you don't get sad seeing them in your packs.

I like this assessment and I agree. I think TGT was a victim of being "the expansion that followed GvG". Paletress, Saarad, and the Twins were all perfectly good legendaries that just were too slow to keep up.

Now, with only a year left in their cycle, it's hard (for more casual players like myself) to justify the dust cost to craft them. Well, that and the fact that Face Shaman is going to be a thing means that the meta probably won't slow down that much.

ZealousD

Maybe I should have picked Malkorok as the most underrated card of the set...

I mean think about it guys. Wouldn't you still play Dr. Boom if he was a 6/5? A solid weapon has to be at least as good as two Boom Bots.

Anyway, the whole card review is up on YouTube now, in case you missed our evaluations.

Nerfs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO9gk2b6TiM
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEyribm5zo
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNjBqVbBLPU
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3bnY6nlog
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxSMR9ZTG8

Dragner

The only legend that screams broken to me is twin emperor and thats a big IF, if C'Thun decks are bad in the meta it wont see any play.

Raxus

I'd like to note a lot of legendaries that were garbage tier have now improved thanks to the BGH nerf. Vanilla Ragnaros, Baron Geddon, heck even Deathwing (thanks to deathrattles going) all gain some serious points.

ZealousD

I'd like to note a lot of legendaries that were garbage tier have now improved thanks to the BGH nerf. Vanilla Ragnaros, Baron Geddon, heck even Deathwing (thanks to deathrattles going) all gain some serious points.

Hold up hold up.

Did you just call Rag and Baron... garbage tier?

huh.gif

Raxus

Hold up hold up.

Did you just call Rag and Baron... garbage tier?

huh.gif

Poor phrasing, sorry. Dormant tier is more like it They were (naturally) the first 7+ drops that pop up in my head of great effects that died off because BGH existed. I was more referring to 7 attack minions that were outright dismissed due to BGH like this guy.

I also predict Blood Knight could become a viable tech choice again. But that is my wild card guess.

inky

The correct etiquette is: barge in, watch your friend go on a losing streak, wait till they are done apologizing for fucking up your quest or worse, blaming you for the bad rng and missplays, peace out and find someone else to watch.

But seriously, everyone is different. I just go in, try not to interrupt with a message unless my friend wants to chat, thank them and move on.

Pooya

Gruul conceal pogchamp.

nope.

-------------------

You guy know there is a fool proof solution to spectate quest right? I made a bunch of smurfs for HotS, I logged in to HS with them once accidentally, guess what you can just go beat inn keeper and spectate your own smurf from your main on another device. It takes 30 seconds.

KuroNeeko

How do Dragon decks, namely Priest, stack up against Face Shaman? I mostly play Control Priest (which doesn't fare well in my experience), but I feel like the extra phat-booty taunts might make a difference.

I've been playing my Dragon decks with mostly Nef, Chro, and Alex, but if they're good I'll add Ysera and Chills to my collection.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Maybe I should have picked Malkorok as the most underrated card of the set...

I mean think about it guys. Wouldn't you still play Dr. Boom if he was a 6/5? A solid weapon has to be at least as good as two Boom Bots.

Anyway, the whole card review is up on YouTube now, in case you missed our evaluations.

Nerfs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO9gk2b6TiM
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEyribm5zo
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNjBqVbBLPU
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3bnY6nlog
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxSMR9ZTG8

Thanks for the uploads! Will watch.

Raxus

How do Dragon decks, namely Priest, stack up against Face Shaman? I mostly play Control Priest (which doesn't fare well in my experience), but I feel like the extra phat-booty taunts might make a difference.

I've been playing my Dragon decks with mostly Nef, Chro, and Alex, but if they're good I'll add Ysera and Chills to my collection.

Pretty poorly. Priest basically has to have all the right draws where as shaman has multiple ways around taunts to go face. We'll see how bad the loss of crackle effects shaman in a few hours.

Top Bottom