• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This expansion might actually see the return of the Knight. Especially with Twin Emperors around.

Way overdue, loved that card

greepoman

Maybe I should have picked Malkorok as the most underrated card of the set...

I mean think about it guys. Wouldn't you still play Dr. Boom if he was a 6/5? A solid weapon has to be at least as good as two Boom Bots.

He does seem underrated considering people are calling him trash tier but I'm not sure if I'd put up with that 5% of the time you get cursed blade and it costs you the game. Definitely not as good as boom bots because your hero takes the damage. I assume you get a 2-3 dmg weapon a good amount of the time which could be bad if the meta slows down and you don't want to be hitting big dmg big health minions for 2-3. I'd say it's definitely playable if there's a decent amount of zoo decks.

I'm giving the Warrior legendary too hard of a time, I just really dislike every card that says "random" as all I see is "will fuck you over at the worst possible time" but in this case it's really hard to get a weapon that actually has a negative impact on your game.

Even cursed blade isn't too bad if your opponent either can't or can't afford to go face(might even win you games if they're dumb enough).

Pooya

SI7 is too good not to play even in a deck like that.

I'm personally going to play emperor in every rogue deck now, healing you for 5 is the minimum it will do you for you lol. It makes spells and gadgetzan a lot better.

SI7 is too good not to play even in a deck like that.

I'm personally going to play emperor in every rogue deck now, healing you for 5 is the minimum it will do you for you lol.

Ugh, I could have sworn I added si7 agent in. Emperor is possible but I'm usually turned off by the fact that even if you have a large hand in rogue, theres a good chance you're not hitting enough good cards to reduce. Still might be worth giving another shot though.

Maybe I should have picked Malkorok as the most underrated card of the set...

I mean think about it guys. Wouldn't you still play Dr. Boom if he was a 6/5? A solid weapon has to be at least as good as two Boom Bots.

Anyway, the whole card review is up on YouTube now, in case you missed our evaluations.

Nerfs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO9gk2b6TiM
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEyribm5zo
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNjBqVbBLPU
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3bnY6nlog
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxSMR9ZTG8
What are the chances of Cursed Blade, though?

I'd like to note a lot of legendaries that were garbage tier have now improved thanks to the BGH nerf. Vanilla Ragnaros, Baron Geddon, heck even Deathwing (thanks to deathrattles going) all gain some serious points.
BGH is still in every control deck I see. Blizzard fails at balance again.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
He does seem underrated considering people are calling him trash tier but I'm not sure if I'd put up with that 5% of the time you get cursed blade and it costs you the game. Definitely not as good as boom bots because your hero takes the damage. I assume you get a 2-3 dmg weapon a good amount of the time which could be bad if the meta slows down and you don't want to be hitting big dmg big health minions for 2-3. I'd say it's definitely playable if there's a decent amount of zoo decks.

In standard:

Horrible - Cursed Blade
Bad - Light’s Justice, Perdition’s Blade, Argent Lance
Good - Fiery War Axe, Eaglehorn Bow, Sword of Justice (Would actually buff Malkorock immediately), Stormforged Axe, Poisoned Blade, Charged Hammer, King’s Defender, Tentacles for Arms, Rallying Blade
Very Good - Truesilver Champion, Assassin’s Blade, Hammer of Twilight, Arcanite Reaper
Insane - Gladiator’s Longbow, Doomhammer, Gorehowl

That's 1, 3, 9, 4, 3 in each category, respectively. And as potentially game losing as Cursed Blade is, I think Gladiator's Longbow, Doomhammer, and Gorehowl are potentially just as game-winning.

JohnCYQ

Opened the classic pack from the spectator quest:
MMMi0Lc.jpg

Raxus

If your playing a hyper aggressive aggro deck then you dont even mind getting a cursed blade.

If you are playing a hyper aggressive aggro deck and you got to turn 7 and aren't dead or nearly dead then something has gone horribly wrong for the aggro player or you likely put yourself in a position for it to cost you the game (a doomhammer/rockbiter does 20 damage to your face!)

I think the problem with malkorok in control decks is that hitting a minion without killing them is very bad. Because next turn they are going to hit you again. Then you're probably taking 10 damage from a single minion. The RNG with weapon is probably acceptable when your goal is to hit their face though. On average malkorok is really good in that situation I think.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hunter got a great legendary
Paladin got a good one
Shaman's is great
Rogue's is good
Druid's is okay
Warlock's is okay
Mage, Priest and Warrior got bad ones(Priest's has potential though)

They're better than the TGT legendaries on average, also Twin Emperor is a great one.

Paladin is a good Legendary for Control games. Its a super heal bot, with a good body and persistent effect.

I think the Warrior one is good. I think a Warrior rather have a random weapon then 2 boombots. And a 6/5 body is better then a 7/7 when BGH is still in the (At 5 mana though)

Raxus

I think the problem with malkorok in control decks is that hitting a minion without killing them is very bad. Because next turn they are going to hit you again. Then you're probably taking 10 damage from a single minion. The RNG with weapon is probably acceptable when your goal is to hit their face though. On average malkorok is really good in that situation I think.

If he was discover I'd think he'd actually earn his status but as he is now he is understat'd RNG minion that will just make you wonder why you didn't replace him with a far superior Gorehowl.

You could literally delete him from the game and I'd promise you less than 1% of the player base would care. Arguably the worst card in the set.

ZealousD

If he was discover I'd think he'd actually earn his status but as he is now he is understat'd RNG minion that will just make you wonder why you didn't replace him with a far superior Gorehowl.

Why not both?

Apathy

Would have loved discover, and he would have no downside at all. Would have made him a contender for best legendary in the set then

Lyng

If you are playing a hyper aggressive aggro deck and you got to turn 7 and aren't dead or nearly dead then something has gone horribly wrong for the aggro player or you likely put yourself in a position for it to cost you the game (a doomhammer/rockbiter does 20 damage to your face!)

That is true of course. 7 is a high cost for aggro

Paladin is a good Legendary for Control games. Its a super heal bot, with a good body and persistent effect.

I think the Warrior one is good. I think a Warrior rather have a random weapon then 2 boombots. And a 6/5 body is better then a 7/7 when BGH is still in the (At 5 mana though)
I kinda disagree with that last point, 5 health is way worse than 7. It's worse in every single way except against BGH(which is going to see less play anyway).

Apathy

Hope everyone put on their lucky underwear for card openings. I'm wishing good luck to you GAF friends, let's hope there is no boogeymonster in any of our packs

Bizazedo

I kinda disagree with that last point, 5 health is way worse than 7. It's worse in every single way except against BGH(which is going to see less play anyway).

I am wondering if BGH will really see less play. I am actually leaning towards it still being as present as it always was, it just won't be as big of a swing since you can't also drop a 7 drop on turn 10 at the same time.

Draft

Like a true scumbag I just played a couple rounds at work to have a clear quest queue for this afternoon.

Won two in row with aggro shaman, natch. Huehuehue.

Apathy

I am wondering if BGH will really see less play. I am actually leaning towards it still being as present as it always was, it just won't be as big of a swing since you can't also drop a 7 drop on turn 10 at the same time.

With how many big creatures came out, he'll definitely see some play.

Raxus

BGH is still perfectly viable and will absolutely see play but expect one of him tops in decks now. It does give way to a reason to run buff cards again too outside of priest.

Pooya

In standard:

Horrible - Cursed Blade
Good - Fiery War Axe, Eaglehorn Bow, Sword of Justice (Would actually buff Malkorock immediately), Stormforged Axe, Poisoned Blade, Charged Hammer, King’s Defender, Tentacles for Arms, Rallying Blade
Very Good - Truesilver Champion, Assassin’s Blade, Hammer of Twilight, Arcanite Reaper

That's 1, 3, 9, 4, 3 in each category, respectively. And as potentially game losing as Cursed Blade is, I think Gladiator's Longbow, Doomhammer, and Gorehowl are potentially just as game-winning.

Charged Hammer is very questionable, depending on the match up losing your hero power can be game losing actually.

The ones in the good category are not really good at turn 7 and after, 2 attack weapons don't kill anything. They are not really good outcomes for your 7 drop and you're likely to get those most of the time.

6/5 body dies to a lot of 5 and 4 drops easily.

The card could be good in the tempo warrior people started playing recently. (even that has Varian which ruins this). It's not really good, control warrior will never play this card for sure.

Apathy

Razakin

Nah, I just mean the google doc for tracking your actual collection. I don't even really know why I like using it really

Got bored day or two ago, so decided to update gutshot's Google Doc/Spreadsheet to have Old Gods stuff, and some changes too. Like the nerf changes to mana costs, and those Murk-Eye etc. reward cards, also changed the adventures to have their own tabs for each. Makes it easier to do version to track golden cards in the future.

But that sadly means that on most cases you have to re-add the cards as you can't just copy paste the old fields.

1 out of 21 or about 4.7%
Hmmm.

If your playing a hyper aggressive aggro deck then you dont even mind getting a cursed blade.
Not true. if you're playing against a Mage and get Cursed Blade, suddenly that double fireball is doing 24 damage to your face instead of 12.

In standard:

Horrible - Cursed Blade

Thanks for that.

KuroNeeko

Charged Hammer is very questionable, depending on the match up losing your hero power can be game losing actually.

The ones in the good category are not really good at turn 7 and after, 2 attack weapons don't kill anything. They are not really good outcomes for your 7 drop and you're likely to get those most of the time.

6/5 body dies to a lot of 5 and 4 drops easily.

The card could be good in the tempo warrior people started playing recently. (even that has Varian which ruins this). It's not really good, control warrior will never play this card for sure.

Charge Hammer lost me the game once as a Priest. Blingtron gave me CH which ruined my hero power.

F- Charge Hammer.

This was fun.

Turn 1: Coin into Whirling Zap-o-matic
His turn 2: Armor
Turn 2: Double Rockbiters, 18 to face

He immediately conceded. I'm gonna miss that little robot.

ZealousD

If it's a matchup where losing your hero power is game losing then you probably don't even need to use the weapon if you get it. Swapping 4 armor for 2 attack is about the same against an aggressive deck.

What's your gameplan with that, honestly? It's so clunky.

AEREC

Havent played this in a while and been meaning to try it out again...but if the Arachnid Quarter is available for me to play when I login then I should be good for having access to the rest of the adventure? Not sure how I got it, must've last played when it launched for free.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
OK this has been echoed already but to chime in.

Damn Blizzard cheaped out on the new board. It's like the design team made half the board then went on eternal lunch never to finish the other half.

Havent played this in a while and been meaning to try it out again...but if the Arachnid Quarter is available for me to play when I login then I should be good for having access to the rest of the adventure? Not sure how I got it, must've last played when it launched for free.
You'll have to buy the rest of it, yeah, but Blizz said you would be able to

Apathy

You can buy the expansion if you got the arachnid wing, otherwise you can only craft the naxx cards through dust

Raxus

What's your gameplan with that, honestly? It's so clunky.

About as clunky as battle rage and there is enough cards in the new set enable cloning your cards. Not to mention it works on your secret MVP, armorsmith. I am just saying it is underrated.

Tarazet

I'm pretty down on buying packs for the expansion at the moment. C'thun Control Warrior has a lot of appeal for me, but it will be dead simple to craft everything I need with a couple thousand dust, and the chance of getting anything useful out of the packs is so tiny.

Alright so
I need some advice if possible
A few months back I decided to make a Dragon Priest, but I forgot I didn't have BRM.
So I came up with this:
Code:
Mind Vision x2
Northshire Cleric x2
Worgen Infiltrator x2
Shadow Word: Pain x2
Faerie Dragon x2
Museum Curator x2
Wrymrest Agent x2
Shadow Word: Death x2
Thoughtsteal x2
Velen's Chosen
Brann Bronzebeard
Elise Starseeker
Twilight Drake x2
Twilight Guardian x2
Holy Nova x2
Azure Drake x2
Chillmaw
I have approx 1800 dust right now, and I was wondering what I might want to put into this. Deathwing, Dragonlord seems nice, but seems a little slow, especially as I don't have a lot of healing. Advice plz

georly

I'd love to be able to actually play tonight, but I doubt it'll be possible. We'll see.

Plan was to watch MCU movies/shows while playing, but who knows if that'll happen.

Top Bottom