• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Pooya

1461851798-capture.png

was stuck at rank 1 with miracle, I said f it, let's play some shaman again. 5 games and 5 wins later, yay first standard legend.

This was my easiest legend yet, like even secret paly isn't this easy as it is now with shaman.

14/500 lol. I think the other 9 were for the standard quest. I've never played shaman on this account but my packs gave me full set of WoG shaman cards, might as well.

This was a totem deck which is really strong, I fatigued out the c'thun warrior that had PERFECT curve, like everything, Dr. 7 right on 7. He even had Elise. It's similar to the list MrYagut is playing right now but I play Harrison instead of a second master of evo.

I've been legend for 3 months this year, only missed it last month. I should play less HS. Actually I barely played this month before WoG release, I was playing DS3.

KuroNeeko

1461851798-capture.png

was stuck at rank 1 with miracle, I said f it, let's play some shaman again. 5 games and 5 wins later, yay first standard legend.

This was my easiest legend yet, like even secret paly isn't this easy as it is now with shaman.

14/500 lol. I think the other 9 were for the standard quest. I've never played shaman on this account but my packs gave me full set of WoG shaman cards, might as well.

This was a totem deck which is really strong, I fatigued out the c'thun warrior that had PERFECT curve, like everything, Dr. 7 right on 7. He even had Elise. It's similar to the list MrYagut is playing right now but I play Harrison instead of a second master of evo.

B-but Rogue Sempai!!!

Congrats! ; )

ChIMq-fWkAAM8vj.jpg

Pooya

The druid one rarely comes out on 4, the guy must be a true curve lord for that to happen. It's not really Dr. 4, does not qualify.

C'Thun druid is even more brain dead than combo druid, it's like full auto pilot now, like really Blizzard what have you done. Good thing the deck isn't that strong.

inky

Have to be more specific lol.

That Druid 4/10? Infested Wolf? Faceless? Master of Evolution?

- That Druid card was never going to get a doctorate, I don't know why a lot of people act like it would. It's a fair card, but no guaranteed impact.
- Wolf is neat but I haven't seen him that much actually.
- Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.
- He has a Masters degree, don't you see? He ain't a Doctor yet, you have to cast him, then Evolve for that :D

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I've got enough dust to craft a Legendary now and some leftovers for an epic and some change. I'm thinking of Sylvanas Windrunner, to play in a Hunter deck with Princess Huhuran, which I got in one of my WotOG packs. Sylvanas seems like a good investment in general, classic card not ever going away, lots of good opportunities to use. Thoughts?

My friend asked if they are giving the same cards for everyone in the 5 packs daily challenge. I got this:

CcmzOra.jpg

So I'm just lucky or they are giving the same cards to everyone?

Apathy

I've got enough dust to craft a Legendary now and some leftovers for an epic and some change. I'm thinking of Sylvanas Windrunner, to play in a Hunter deck with Princess Huhuran, which I got in one of my WotOG packs. Sylvanas seems like a good investment in general, classic card not ever going away, lots of good opportunities to use. Thoughts?

the same answer we give everyone when asked. What do you like to play and do you think the legendary will fit in there

KuroNeeko

So do you think Hallazeal is worth the craft?
I've been waiting to get into midrange Shaman for awhile now, especially TOTEM Shaman.

Seems like the time is right!!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So do you think Hallazeal is worth the craft?
I've been waiting to get into midrange Shaman for awhile now, especially TOTEM Shaman.

Seems like the time is right!!

Nope. Haven't seen him played a single time. I've seen Al'akir more often than Hallazeal.

I don't think he's bad per se since his stats are good enough that you can throw him out whenever but I don't think he's an auto-include at all.

Dahbomb

Infested Wolf is the true Dr 4. Can always be played on turn 4 with no drawback.

Faceless has a hefty 2 mana overload, it's technically a 6 drop.

Master of Evolution needs something on board to be better than Yeti.

Druid needs curve of Beckoner of Evil and Disciple of Cthun god curve.

So...what's the Priest answer to early aggro? I see why every Priest ran Deathlord now. I feel like I can't even get my game started until turn 4-5. Yeah, I can play Museum Curator and such, but it's not really solving some of the problems I had last night against Aggro Shaman and Tempo Mage. I can beat both decks if I get established, but there just...aren't any cards to play early on.

oh looks like patron warrior is still a thing.
Deck list? I haven't fiddled with it yet. Too busy enjoying Shadowpriest.

I can't imagine that Patron Warrior will be too popular if C'Thun Druid is popular. In fact, all of those top 4 decks Dahbomb listed do really well against Patron Warrior.

My friend asked if they are giving the same cards for everyone in the 5 packs daily challenge. I got this:

CcmzOra.jpg

So I'm just lucky or they are giving the same cards to everyone?
I opened 58 WotOG packs and got 1 legendary. So no, RNGesus just loves you and hates me.

Haly

So...what's the Priest answer to early aggro? I see why every Priest ran Deathlord now. I feel like I can't even get my game started until turn 4-5. Yeah, I can play Museum Curator and such, but it's not really solving some of the problems I had last night against Aggro Shaman and Tempo Mage. I can beat both decks if I get established, but there just...aren't any cards to play early on.
Pray to the light.

I've seen Priests run Excavated Evil which is another decent choice to smooth out your turn 5. But these kinds of decks are tuned to beat Shaman and don't do as well against othe decks and they still stumble in the early game. On the other side, if the other guy misses his 2 drop Priest can usually stabilize and then recover. Paladin might be better for early game control.

Dahbomb

Priest's answer to early game aggression is Wild Pyromancer with Circle of Healing and Power Word Shield. Priest can keep healing up Pyromancer for those AOEs.

Even when they had Deathlords they ran Wild Pyromancers.

That 4 mana clear doesn't look half bad right now with all the Zoo and Shamans around.

I opened 58 WotOG packs and got 1 legendary. So no, RNGesus just loves you and hates me.

Really? I'm seeing so many people getting legendaries lately. My friend said he got exactly the same legendaries as me, guess he's just lucky too then.

And I hope RNGesus loves you a little more in the next packs you open =p

Nope. Haven't seen him played a single time. I've seen Al'akir more often than Hallazeal.

I don't think he's bad per se since his stats are good enough that you can throw him out whenever but I don't think he's an auto-include at all.

Al'akir seems like more all around utility, but with Hallazeal, Eternal Sentinel and Lightning Storm, you can act like a mini-flamestrike with the bonus of healing your hero for a decent amount.

However, I'm having trouble fitting all the cards I want to into my Shaman deck. It's tough to forego flametongue, Al'akir, etc. My deck has been doing good so far, but when I start hitting walls I may have to take a good look and experiment a bit more.

Also a fun interaction is Nerubian prophet + Evolve. Since it's a kind of underpowered at 4/4 for 6 mana, but the cost is reduced each turn, if you get one in the first couple of turns + evolve you can get a 7 mana cost minion on the board by turn 5 or so. Or get it out, put it to use, then when it's low on health evolve it to heal it up.

I still want to try Evolve C'Thun Shaman though, since I have most of the Shaman cards.

caesar

Banned
Infested Wolf is the true Dr 4. Can always be played on turn 4 with no drawback.

Faceless has a hefty 2 mana overload, it's technically a 6 drop.

Master of Evolution needs something on board to be better than Yeti.

Druid needs curve of Beckoner of Evil and Disciple of Cthun god curve.

Its not technically a 6 drop, you can play it on turn 4. 2 Overload is not worth 2 mana more like 1.5. The card is categorically op don't know why people are saying otherwise.

Pray to the light.

I've seen Priests run Excavated Evil which is another decent choice to smooth out your turn 5. But these kinds of decks are tuned to beat Shaman and don't do as well against othe decks and they still stumble in the early game. On the other side, if the other guy misses his 2 drop Priest can usually stabilize and then recover. Paladin might be better for early game control.
I run double Excavated Evil and LOVE it, but that's turn 5. A Tempo Mago had me dead on turn 4 last night, so I can't wait that long.

Priest's answer to early game aggression is Wild Pyromancer with Circle of Healing and Power Word Shield. Priest can keep healing up Pyromancer for those AOEs.

That 4 mana clear doesn't look half bad right now with all the Zoo and Shamans around.
Which 4 mana clear?

Should I run one or two Pyros? I totally forgot about that option. Not sure if I want PW:S in my deck, though.

Really? I'm seeing so many people getting legendaries lately. My friend said he got exactly the same legendaries as me, guess he's just lucky too then.

And I hope RNGesus loves you a little more in the next packs you open =p
I think I opened 103 packs total and got two legendaries. My pity timer is pretty much maxed in Classic and WotOG sets.

Dahbomb

Its not technically a 6 drop, you can play it on turn 4. 2 Overload is not worth 2 mana more like 1.5. The card is categorically op don't know why people are saying otherwise.
Oh its clearly over powered I just don't think it's a straight up 4 mana card.

The 4 mana Shadow Word Terror.

Haly

Al'akir seems like more all around utility, but with Hallazeal, Eternal Sentinel and Lightning Storm, you can act like a mini-flamestrike with the bonus of healing your hero for a decent amount.

However, I'm having trouble fitting all the cards I want to into my Shaman deck. It's tough to forego flametongue, Al'akir, etc. My deck has been doing good so far, but when I start hitting walls I may have to take a good look and experiment a bit more.

That's the thing. If you try to do everything, your deck gets spread out thin. Hallazeal comes out on turn 4, and it's probably unlikely Lightning Storm will make a difference on turn 5 against more aggressive decks. There's no guarantee it'll survive either. Playing them together is 8 mana which is far too slow for a 2-3 damage AoE with however much healing. They work at odds with each other.

You're better off with Sentinel + Elemental Destruction. I've seen that combo once and was impressed. 2 cards, 5 mana, clears the board and drops a 3-2 with no Overload is pretty amazing. Even takes out Master of Evolution and most early C'thun minions. It's like Shaman's Soulpriest/Circle of Healing.

In my mind, Hallazeal is for damage races. When two guys are just trading spells to the face, an extra 3 or 5 life makes a big difference.

Ladekabel

I run double Excavated Evil and LOVE it, but that's turn 5. A Tempo Mago had me dead on turn 4 last night, so I can't wait that long.

Which 4 mana clear?

Should I run one or two Pyros? I totally forgot about that option. Not sure if I want PW:S in my deck, though.

I think I opened 103 packs total and got two legendaries. My pity timer is pretty much maxed in Classic and WotOG sets.

You absolutely want Power Word: Shield in your Priest decks.

dionysus

Yaldog
I love evolve.

Get the attacks off, then evolve into a better minion (or worse) and turn your totems into something better almost always.

Oh its clearly over powered I just don't think it's a straight up 4 mana card.

The 4 mana Shadow Word Terror.
I tried running Shadow Word Terror, but by turn 4 it only clears part of the board, and popular growth minions like Trogg and Mana Wyrm are 3+ attack. I cut it even though I think it is a good tech card.

Priest has too many overlapping tools for weak minions.

Shadow Word: Terror
Shadow Madness
Shadow Word: Pain
Cabal Shadow Priest

Terror should have targeted minions based on health. Kill everything at 2 or less health.

Dahbomb

I tried running Shadow Word Terror, but by turn 4 it only clears part of the board, and popular growth minions like Trogg and Mana Wyrm are 3+ attack. I cut it even though I think it is a good tech card.

Priest has too many overlapping tools for weak minions.

Shadow Word: Terror
Shadow Madness
Shadow Word: Pain
Cabal Shadow Priest

Terror should have targeted minions based on health. Kill everything at 2 or less health.
Holy Nova is for 2 HP minions.

You can also use Holy Smite for super early game 2 HP minions.

Then you have Shadow Pain if you want to remove those Trogg and Mana Wyrm, even Totem Golem.

And then the 4 mana Auchenai Circle clear.

Priest has a lot of tools but the removals have to line up with the threats or you get steamrolled. Shadow Word Death in hand vs a Pain in the opener could lose you the game.

This is the Priest struggle.

Dahbomb

Patron Warrior probably has to return to deal with these Aggro Shamans and Zoolocks.

And people though Patron would go away because the meta would slow down... Ayy lmao!

Owzers

I've been legend for 3 months this year, only missed it last month. I should play less HS. Actually I barely played this month before WoG release, I was playing DS3.

Can you post your deck? I think my shaman needs a lot of work and crafting.

Ketch

Pretty sure the clear answer here is that Cthun is Dr. 10 or whatever turn you play him on.

New expansion legendary, everyone has it, everyone is playing it, really hard to deal with, even if you do you probably lost anyway. Very similar to whoever played boom on turn 7 probably wins.

Every other candidate is a class card and not a legendary.

KuroNeeko

Shadow Word: Horror does very little against Shaman when Totem Golem and Trogg (by turn 4), are unaffected. If you're "lucky", you'll get a Finley and maybe some Feral Spirits...if they're not buffed with Flametongue. Same reason why Holy Nova doesn't do much. Spirits, Finly, Totem Golem, Trogg all have three or more health.

Wild Pyro or Embrace + Circle is all you really get.

Pooya

lol, that list is incomplete, the submitter must have tried to copy it from the stream. There were definitely patrons in there. He probably doesn't play 2 copy of every of those cards, he didn't show the deck.

Holy Nova is for 2 HP minions.

You can also use Holy Smite for super early game 2 HP minions.

Then you have Shadow Pain if you want to remove those Trogg and Mana Wyrm, even Totem Golem.

And then the 4 mana Auchenai Circle clear.

Priest has a lot of tools but the removals have to line up with the threats or you get steamrolled. Shadow Word Death in hand vs a Pain in the opener could lose you the game.

This is the Priest struggle.
Holy Nova is 5 mana - I'm talking about something before turn 4 when I can Auchenai + Circle of Healing to clear everything.

You once told me that Holy Smite makes you a bad Priest player. :p

I didn't get my Shadow Word: Pain, unfortunately. I am going to look at Pyromancer and/or a big taunt.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/513253-firebat-standard-patron-warrior

Firebat was beating aggro shamans with it very well. Wild pyro is really good.
Ah yes, I forgot about Wild Pyro with Patron.

Haly

Actually on second though maybe I'm too down on Hallazeal. Whether he survives or not he's saving you health. He has a soft taunt in that no one is willing to leave him on the board, except for the most defensive of control decks. At worst, he's a Druid of the Claw Bear Form against aggro/midrange. At best he gains you a bunch of life.

Only, I don't know if he has a place in Evolve Shaman because Evolve Shaman doesn't run that many damage spells. Is Midrange better than pure Evolve? Who knows?

Apathy

Who has suffered more? Warrior with no Death's Bite or Priest with no Lightbomb?

Priest, and yeah lightbomb was amazing, but that was for turn 6. Right now they are suffering because of lack of zombie chow and deathlord. No decent 1 drop (i guess you could make an argument for worgen infiltrator cause of the stealth and hope you have a shield for turn 2) and no great low mana taunt is hurting them. They could have easily made a low mana taunt for priest that didn't require dragon synergy. right now best advice vs a priest is run them down early.

Right now priest are desperately mulliganning for clerics, shields wild pyros, anything to get a game to go to past the early game. Once the middle hits, healing can kick in but sometimes it's too little too late. If they stabilize though, they are ok. That twilight geomancer is really good for a cthun priest just to hold back some aggression.

Hell even that 1 mana paladin buff would have been better on the priest, not on the paladin. Would have helped in arena. Missing that velen's man

Lyng

wow Zoo is the new secret pally.
ffs Blizz. why cant you stop enabling these brain dead decks.
And also if you play the new zoo in casual you are a cnut.

Top Bottom