• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Whatever your thoughts on the meta so far, you can't deny that the power level has dropped enough for nerfed Miracle and nerfed Patron to remain viable. Whether that that stays the same throughout the expansion is anyone's guess but I don't think these decks are disappearing soon.

The atmosphere is just much less tense than it used to be and there's room for non-curve strategies. The big outlier here is Aggro Shaman, and I think Miracle and Patron can both deal with it.

Diet Patron also looks pretty interesting. I only have one Blood to Ichor though. I might craft another to test it. I've been sleeping on Bloodhoof Braves but I liked what I saw.

Priest, and yeah lightbomb was amazing, but that was for turn 6. Right now they are suffering because of lack of zombie chow and deathlord. No decent 1 drop (i guess you could make an argument for worgen infiltrator cause of the stealth and hope you have a shield for turn 2) and no great low mana taunt is hurting them. They could have easily made a low mana taunt for priest that didn't require dragon synergy. right now best advice vs a priest is run them down early.

Right now priest are desperately mulliganning for clerics, shields wild pyros, anything to get a game to go to past the early game. Once the middle hits, healing can kick in but sometimes it's too little too late. If they stabilize though, they are ok. That twilight geomancer is really good for a cthun priest just to hold back some aggression.

Hell even that 1 mana paladin buff would have been better on the priest, not on the paladin. Would have helped in arena. Missing that velen's man
All truth.

Whatever your thoughts on the meta so far, you can't deny that the power level has dropped enough for nerfed Miracle and nerfed Patron to remain viable. Whether that that stays the same throughout the expansion is anyone's guess but I don't think these decks are disappearing soon.

The atmosphere is just much less tense than it used to be and there's room for non-curve strategies. The big outlier here is Aggro Shaman, and I think Miracle and Patron can both deal with it.

Diet Patron also looks pretty interesting. I only have one Blood to Ichor though. I might craft another to test it. I've been sleeping on Bloodhoof Braves but I liked what I saw.
Also truth!

StayDead

I played a game just now as mage and thanks to Cabalist tome I must've casted about 20 spells.

Played Yogg.

Every single card benefitted me. I couldn't believe it, but my Khadgar was up to 15 attack that turn and it let me kill the enemy warrior. All the other cards buffed my minions hahaha.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
1461851798-capture.png

was stuck at rank 1 with miracle, I said f it, let's play some shaman again. 5 games and 5 wins later, yay first standard legend.

This was my easiest legend yet, like even secret paly isn't this easy as it is now with shaman.

14/500 lol. I think the other 9 were for the standard quest. I've never played shaman on this account but my packs gave me full set of WoG shaman cards, might as well.

This was a totem deck which is really strong, I fatigued out the c'thun warrior that had PERFECT curve, like everything, Dr. 7 right on 7. He even had Elise. It's similar to the list MrYagut is playing right now but I play Harrison instead of a second master of evo.

I've been legend for 3 months this year, only missed it last month. I should play less HS. Actually I barely played this month before WoG release, I was playing DS3.

Can a brotha get a deck list? :p

Pooya

Is zoo that good? It's like nowhere as powerful as egg zoo of before. If they lose board once it's over. It's not really unfair or anything, their minions are not exactly sticky anymore.

Can a brotha get a deck list? :p

ChFqasDWwAEinfU.jpg

it's this. I think you can play Dr. 4 still. I didn't, the 5/5 taunt is very strong.

rando14

Is zoo that good? It's like nowhere is powerful as egg zoo of before. If you they lose board once it's over. It's not really unfair or anything, their minions are not exactly sticky anymore.

I've only played a handful of games in the new meta, but Zoo is still pretty good.

Imp gang boss is still awesome. Forbidden ritual + knife juggler(s) = ultra cheese. Darkshire councilman has proven to be a stud

Has anyone tried Squirming Tentacle out? 2/4 for 3 isn't bad; power creep on Silverback Patriarch.

Is zoo that good? It's like nowhere is powerful as egg zoo of before. If you they lose board once it's over. It's not really unfair or anything, their minions are not exactly sticky anymore.
Yeah, I have found it very manageable. Easier than before. I think people are just coping with not having the tools they are used to. Lots of complaining about stuff being OP while we're all trying to figure this out.

br3wnor

Been messing around with a Deathrattle Hunter deck. I'm having a lot of fun with it, getting a 50/50 win rate so I know it needs work. I'm not good at creating decks and didn't netdeck this so I could definitely use some advice.

ySx3SzW.png

NOT PICTURED: Hunters Mark (1)/ On the Hunt (1)/ Firey Bat (1)

The cards I kind of just threw in here to try and plug holes are:
Sunfury protector (Early taunt against aggro)
Cult Master (Card draw)
Explosive Shot (Sort of AOE clear)

When the deck works, I find that it really works, but I run into card draw issues if I don't get set up with Cult Master and my curve gets janky. Usually when I lose, I lose badly. I'm trying to stay away from net decks with this expansion and tinker as I go along, so any organic advice is really appreciated for what I can cut and replace.

ViviOggi

Can't disagree with this, the one clear mistake so far was printing Faceless whatever. Giving the strongest aggro deck a strictly better Fel Reaver alongside the (otherwise solid) BGH is just incredibly tone-deaf.

On second thought I disagree with Miracle dealing with Aggro Shaman, it's not an unwinnable matchup but still well below 50/50 imo.

f0lken

Attack with Flamewreathed then evolve it into Leeroy has to be one of the best feelings in the game.

(I used evolve in an almost full board)

Pooya

that pirate card is insane, it's like captain greenskin but good. I had someone buffing gorehowl with it and Brann and started smacking my face. it didn't look like a face deck before that, lol.

Been messing around with a Deathrattle Hunter deck. I'm having a lot of fun with it, getting a 50/50 win rate so I know it needs work. I'm not good at creating decks and didn't netdeck this so I could definitely use some advice.

ySx3SzW.png

NOT PICTURED: Hunters Mark (1)/ On the Hunt (1)/ Firey Bat (1)

The cards I kind of just threw in here to try and plug holes are:
Sunfury protector (Early taunt against aggro)
Cult Master (Card draw)
Explosive Shot (Sort of AOE clear)

When the deck works, I find that it really works, but I run into card draw issues if I don't get set up with Cult Master and my curve gets janky. Usually when I lose, I lose badly. I'm trying to stay away from net decks with this expansion and tinker as I go along, so any organic advice is really appreciated for what I can cut and replace.
Get rid of the cards you threw in there. Double up on the bats and infested wolf.

Owzers

played shaman in arena twice now, not a single Flamereath Sillyface. 2-3 in the first, might be 1-3 this time. Oh, and my first lost they had sylvanas, second boom, while i have trash.

Haly

On second thought I disagree with Miracle dealing with Aggro Shaman, it's not an unwinnable matchup but still well below 50/50 imo.

I admit that was just theorycraft. I haven't actually played Miracle yet so I'll take your word for it.

If Blizzard nerfs anything within the next 6 months, it's probably Flamewreath Faceless. Either 6/6 or 5/6 Overload 1.

I mean, they did it. They finally made Overload good, and now it's just unfair.

I admit that was just theorycraft. I haven't actually played Miracle yet so I'll take your word for it.

If Blizzard nerfs anything within the next 6 months, it's probably Flamewreath Faceless. Either 6/6 or 5/6 Overload 1.

Wouldn't that just turn it into Fireguard Destroyer? I'd rather see 5 mana cost (2) overload.

bunbun777

I was playing casual trying out new decks and a warlock renounced the darkness and darn if he didn't curve out perfectly, finishing me with al-akir.

gjasbdhjsfa haha i made a miracle yogg saron rogue deck and i played him with brann and i literally summoned 17 1/1 tokens and killed most of them too

i havent seen him cast nukes on the casters own face yet, is that actually possible?

gutshot

-1 On the Hunt (doesn't do enough to justify running it)
-1 Carrion Grub (with no Houndmaster this card doesn't really do anything)
-1 Infested Tauren (not as good as Wolf)
-1 Explosive Shot (too expensive)

+1 Fiery Bat (early game reliability)
+1 Infested Wolf (almost as good as Shredder)
+1 Call of the Wild (card is too good not to run two-of)
+1 Forlorn Stalker (more buffs for you late game deathrattle minions)

I should note, I'm not entirely sold on Forlorn Stalker. But it's worth experimenting with 2 of them, see how they feel. The body just dies so easily and its text might be too difficult to get good value out of it. But the other changes should help improve your consistency, I think.

Haly

Wouldn't that just turn it into Fireguard Destroyer? I'd rather see 5 mana cost (2) overload.

Hm, you're right. 5 mana is also reasonable. Right now you can do really stupid stuff with the Overload staggering like

T1: Tunnel Trogg
T2: Totem Golem
T3: Totem
T4: Fireguard
T5: Flamewreathed

Or

T2: Coin, Spirit Wolves
T3: Pass, or Lightning Bolt or Rockbiter or another Trogg
T4-T5: As above

Spirit Wolves keep Trogg safe from weapons and minions while buffing it. By the time they break down the Wolves it's a 4/3 or a 6/3.

That T4-T5 crushed a lot of people I faced, especially if I got a good roll on Fireguard. The best part is Fireguard serves as removal magnet so it makes Flamewreathed safer to play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hm, you're right. 5 mana is also reasonable. Right now you can do really stupid stuff with the Overload staggering like

T2: Totem Golem
T3: Totem
T4: Fireguard
T5: Flamewreathed

Or

T2: Coin, Spirit Wolves
T3: Pass, or Lightning Bolt or Rockbiter or another Trogg
T4-T5: As above

Spirit Wolves keep Trogg safe from weapons and minions while buffing it. By the time they break down the Wolves it's a 4/3 or a 6/3.

That T4-T5 crushed a lot of people I faced, especially if I got a good roll on Fireguard. The best part is Fireguard serves as removal magnet so it makes Flamewreathed safer to play.

"That's incredible!"

Loomba

I was playing casual trying out new decks and a warlock renounced the darkness and darn if he didn't curve out perfectly, finishing me with al-akir.

Warlock used that on me, got Paladin.

Used "give +1+1" put down a stranglethorn tiger, used seal of champions and then hand of protection. Countering me perfectly throughout. I was gobsmacked.

Played him again immediate after, he got Druid and I stomped him :)

That's the thing. If you try to do everything, your deck gets spread out thin. Hallazeal comes out on turn 4, and it's probably unlikely Lightning Storm will make a difference on turn 5 against more aggressive decks. There's no guarantee it'll survive either. Playing them together is 8 mana which is far too slow for a 2-3 damage AoE with however much healing. They work at odds with each other.

You're better off with Sentinel + Elemental Destruction. I've seen that combo once and was impressed. 2 cards, 5 mana, clears the board and drops a 3-2 with no Overload is pretty amazing. Even takes out Master of Evolution and most early C'thun minions. It's like Shaman's Soulpriest/Circle of Healing.

In my mind, Hallazeal is for damage races. When two guys are just trading spells to the face, an extra 3 or 5 life makes a big difference.

Yeah definitely. It's super viable, and until I get / craft Elemental Destruction I have to deal with lesser board clears.

I've been having success with lightning storm / lightning bolt, trading minions / minion health, and then playing sentinel to unlock my mana if needed or just using evolve for one mana to "heal" minions with the evolution.

Hallazeal would be a nice way to get some health out of it, but I don't see it being reliable.

Or you unlock it on turn 5. It doesn't make too much of a difference. Whatever mana you have left is enough to use removal on whatever minion your opponent played to try and counter it.

Yeah, it's super strong really. Only downside is the low mana cost does make it a bit of a trade when you evolve it, but I find myself using evolve as a pseudo-heal / fakeout to confuse people about how to play their next turn.

Yeah, this is how I usually end up playing it.

If they can't clear the board they're forced to use removal spells (Mage used both ice blasts and a polymorph to remove my Trogg and Spirit Wolves), and at that point you can just play out your curve with the odd mana unlock and / or evolution.

Dahbomb

This makes no sense, that's basically what Fireguard Destroyer is.

Faceless should be a 7/6 based on the fact that it's technically a 6 mana minion like Boulder Fist Ogre. Same thing as Totem Golem or Fireguard.

You kinda have to keep it at 7 attack so that you can at least BGH it.

Kornflayx

Holy shit, Yogg-Saron is the most fun card ever.

He was the last card in my Rogue deck. He got Ganged-Up twice and I played him at least five times in consecutive turns. "Incredible"

Haly

You kinda have to keep it at 7 attack so that you can at least BGH it.

BGH is a trap in my current experience. I never saw it do anything of note to me. I've done 14 damage far more times with an unchallenged Faceless than I got BGH'd and lost because of it. I just Lava Shock or trade and move on with my day. When everyone starts running BGH that calculus might change but for the present time he's a non-issue.

Baiting out Shadow Word Deaths and then dropping Flamewreathed Faceless one after the other feels so good.

Is this what it's like to fall to the dark side?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Hot damn that discover card for paladin is great. Discovering a Tirion (who is now 7/7 cuz balance), getting him BGH'd and then playing my real Tirion is the best. Also hearing LIVE, INSECT is never ever going to get old.

Also paladin has quite a lot of Card draw available if you run Lay on Hands (great for stabliizing), and even more if you run Solemn Vow. You can really burn through your deck into fatigue quite quickly.

Priest since they got squat outside of neutrals.
Also, there is no doubt in my mind that Priests got the worst legendary this set. Piece of trash.

Baiting out Shadow Word Deaths and then dropping Flamewreathed Faceless one after the other feels so good.

Is this what it's like to fall to the dark side?
lol. I always save SW:D for those.

The worst way

It does damage so it's a bad idea.
:( I was hoping Auchenai only affected player-sourced damage.

I love the idea of Lightwell, but it's so bad. :(

Also paladin has quite a lot of Card draw available if you run Lay on Hands (great for stabliizing), and even more if you run Solemn Vow. You can really burn through your deck into fatigue quite quickly.

I played a Giants/Token mix Paladin deck the last few weeks of the old format and really enjoyed it. You could play Muster, then drop a Cult Master or a Sea Giant if you have board already, clear with your dudes and then play Vigil for almost nothing.

Top Bottom