• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Reno Shadowpriest is still lots of fun in standard, gonna take this baby to 500 wins.
APxWbWm.jpg

Reno Shadowpriest is still lots of fun in standard, gonna take this baby to 500 wins.

I didn't have Reno when I took Priest to 500 wins, but it was a Shadow Priest deck. It was based off of Day9's ShadowBeast but it was actually able to kill people thanks to Prophet Velen and Mind Blast.

Just saying that I really love Shadow Form as a spell and deck type.

embalm

Last night I did some experimentation with Dragon Priest.

DP saw a lot of great cards rotate out of standard, but this isn't all bad. I think it opens the door for the deck to include the greatest dragon of them all, the Twilight Drake. The old deck never consistantly had more than 4 cards in hand making Twilight a risky include. So here are my changes for Standard:

Power Word Shield x2
Twilight Whelp x2

Museum Curator x2
Wyrmrest Agent x2

Shadow Word Death x2
Thoughtsteal x1
Blackwing Technician x2

Shifting Shade x2
Twilight Guardian x2
Twilight Drake x2

Holy Nova x2
Azure Drake x2
Blackwing Corruptor x2

Entomb x1
Cabel Shadowpriest x1

Ysera x1

No Northshire. Without Velen's Chosen the card isn't as good. Then we have several new cards that can fill the gap it leaves behind.

Musuem Curator & Shifting Shade are In. Cards that generate cards are great. The old deck runs some really fat minion, but if it curves out well it can often run out of steam. These cards replace themselves and leave bodies on the board.

Twilight Drake. A 4/6 in priest is very good. This is so easy to hit now it's incredible. With all the alternative card draw this minion doesn't end up as a waste in the late game either.

The deck above is 2 cards short.

If you are seeing lots of aggro I recommend dropping the Thoughtsteal and adding Chillmaw and Flame Jugglers. It should even out your curve and allow you to better fight for the board.

If you are seeing lots of control I recommend Rend Blackhand & Nefarian. Rend is amazing in the C'Thun meta. Nefarian is tons of value and fits into our constant value theme.

hypothetical situation that may or may not have happened -

Playing aggro shaman and play Finley turn 1, choices are

Warlock
Druid
Hunter

Which is best?
I think it depends on your matchup, but Druid is usually weaker because it it only good while you have Doomhammer equipped and taunts can block you still. Hunter is 2 damage that cannot be stopped. However, Warlock is better in a control matchup where you need more burn burn burn to win. This is especially true if you might need to deal with Justicar.

Really want to play this but I can't convince myself it's worth it to craft two Shadowforms.
Honestly, even as a Shadowform advocate, I don't play the card until LATE in the game. Like, beyond turn 10.

ZZMitch

APxWbWm.jpg

How do you get by without Lightbomb? I played lots of Reno Shadowpriest over the last month or two a did pretty well (above 50% winrate). I tried a few games in Standard though and really missed Lightbomb when I was behind on board so I dropped it after a while and tried other decks.

peakish

Evolve totems into Micro Machine and Milhouse.

Evolve 4/1 Milhouse to Manatide.

Summon Totem Golem from Tuskar.

Jesus fuck, RNG.

JohnCYQ

So apparently, even if you N'zothed and your board gets Vanish'ed, playing N'zoth again will bring the minions back again, even if its in your hand.

I lol'd when the rogue did that out of desperation. Not sure what he thought the card would do when he had it in his N'zoth deck.

Finalow

The deck has no card draw. You either dominate the early game or fizzle.

Exactly. That person plays that deck because of this:

https://youtu.be/Ryl-1i4Eiss?t=15m30s
eh, that's not quite true. I've seen a lot of matches being won with that deck (rank legend or so) even without a great early game. e.g. Antonidas + spare parts can win you the game, although I don't have him and I'm running Piloted Sky Golem, lol.
Gorillabot A-3 definitely helps a lot so not having him is kind of an issue. guess I'll go with double Azure Drake, or maybe Jeeves.

Dahbomb

You forgot Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem and Fire Elemental who are all just as big culprits as those.

Might as well call them the Furious 7!

Shaman has the new god curve:

Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem/Flametongue Totem, Tuskar Totemic, Master of Evolution/Faceless, Thing from the Deep, Fire Elemental.

If Dr 7 was still in the game he would end that curve.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You forgot Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem and Fire Elemental who are all just as big culprits as those.

Might as well call them the Furious 7!

Shaman has the new god curve:

Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem/Flametongue Totem, Tuskar Totemic, Master of Evolution/Faceless, Thing from the Deep, Fire Elemental.

If Dr 7 was still in the game he would end that curve.

You could actually make a decent Shaman deck without any neutrals these days. Their current slate of minions in Standard is insane.

Ridli

So apparently, even if you N'zothed and your board gets Vanish'ed, playing N'zoth again will bring the minions back again, even if its in your hand.

I lol'd when the rogue did that out of desperation. Not sure what he thought the card would do when he had it in his N'zoth deck.

I think what's happening is the second N'Zoth is still just pulling those minions from the first time they died. Them getting rezd does not prevent them from being summoned again from resurrection effects. Still, free echo of medihv for you!

carlos

As someone who started playing a few days ago, what do I have to do to get the 3 free card packs upon login?
I dont have the tavern brawl unlocked, if that matters

edit:thanks,Levi

They got Shrinkmeister and Dark Cultist which were pretty cool. Then they got taken away along with Lightbomb, Velens Chosen and Vojin LMAO!
It's wild how Blizzard can do something like give Priests multiple cards no one could possibly care about and overlook this. They did SUCH a good job with every other class's curve, and just giving good low-cost options in general. Maybe they assumed everyone would be playing C'Thun Priest?

I see Standard is full of C'Thun decks, are there any that have emerged as good decks?

Here is my unpopular opinion: I think that, right now, just about every C'Thun deck is garbage.

Okay, maybe not garbage, but I don't think C'Thun druid is any better than a Ramp Druid list would be. C'Thun Warrior is really the only one I think is any good, but Fibonacci's Dragon list seems to be better anyways. Priest can use C'Thun, but N'Zoth Priest just seems strictly better to me. Shaman, Zoo, and Miracle Rogue are leagues ahead of any of the C'Thun decks in terms of power.

Just got in a mood and played around in Tavern Brawl for enough games to complete the daily and then get the 10 gold/win to where I noticed I had 110 gold. Thought I'd buy a pack and got a 1 Legendary and 3 Rares, one of them Golden. RNGods are fickle.

Legendary was Cho'gall - don't know how I'll use him, I play alot of Zoolock but don't know how this would fit in.

How do you get by without Lightbomb? I played lots of Reno Shadowpriest over the last month or two a did pretty well (above 50% winrate). I tried a few games in Standard though and really missed Lightbomb when I was behind on board so I dropped it after a while and tried other decks.

Honestly I really haven't needed it, most decks I see are C'Thun and those run minions that you're better off using excavated evil, holy nova or auchenai circle on. Auchenai is a little weird in shadow priest I guess but I had room and it seems worth a card slot for a 3 5 with an upside.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Huh, interesting that there is something that resembles an animation for a taunted hero.

I thought it was as well but then I looked at the same effect for other minions. That gold shield pops up temporarily but in this case it's not disappearing, so I think don't think it's an actual particle for taunted heroes.

EDIT: Oh it appeared in a Brawl. I missed that.

The bigger thing is, it breaks the rule that heroes cannot have more than 30 health. The fact that Malfurion's health got buffed by +5 would imply that heroes are just glorified minions in the code.

You Staghelm guys better exploit the fuck out of this while it lasts. It must be so funny. I wonder what happens when you silence a hero? I think it'll get removed. Black Knight?

Moonlight

Banned
Huh, interesting that there is something that resembles an animation for a taunted hero.
It was there for the 'your hero has taunt' Brawl. The more interesting thing to me is that the game 'distinguishes' additional health for your hero with the green HP like a minion.

Still expecting a weapon card to be printed that's a 0/3 give your hero taunt, lose durability when your hero takes damage.

ZZMitch

Honestly I really haven't needed it, most decks I see are C'Thun and those run minions that you're better off using excavated evil, holy nova or auchenai circle on. Auchenai is a little weird in shadow priest I guess but I had room and it seems worth a card slot for a 3 5 with an upside.

Ah yeah, I have never run Auchenai + Circle in shadowpriest. Maybe I will try that now that Lightbomb is done. Circle seems bad by itself though, unless you run Injured Blademaster and other stuff like that?

Does anyone use the Autocard Anywhere extension for firefox, and if so, have you succeeded at making it work for Old Gods cards? All mine are broken

If you use the Druid legendary with those wisps, do they spawn as a bunch of 5/5 taunts?

Dies to black knight 0/10 would not play.
Someone needs to test to see if this is true.

On that note, I think I'll have to avoid putting two taunts in my Shadowpriest deck just because they will become Black Knight targets.

georly

If you use the Druid legendary with those wisps, do they spawn as a bunch of 5/5 taunts?

Someone needs to test to see if this is true.

On that note, I think I'll have to avoid putting two taunts in my Shadowpriest deck just because they will become Black Knight targets.

It can't target a wisp because it hasn't created a wisp yet.

Zemm

Here is my unpopular opinion: I think that, right now, just about every C'Thun deck is garbage.

I agree, I think C'Thun decks will die off pretty quickly once the newness has worn off, and I highly doubt we'll see any in a tournament setting. N'Zoth seems pretty great though.

I honestly think the factor that determines whether you will win or lose a game playing a cthun deck is if you can curve out brann and he lives

The 7/7 4 mana Shaman card should honestly overload for 3. It's not nearly punishable enough. Or make it a 7/6 where it fits the line that can be dealt with Backstab + Evis and the like. Sap literally does nothing.

Top Bottom