• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Apathy

It's wild how Blizzard can do something like give Priests multiple cards no one could possibly care about and overlook this. They did SUCH a good job with every other class's curve, and just giving good low-cost options in general. Maybe they assumed everyone would be playing C'Thun Priest?

Here's a card for you. It's practically useless, and your whole class is fucked from the bottom to the top cause we took away the only tools you had. But dont worry, it has great potential that it will unlock when we release the next set of cards. Till then, play dragon priest whether you like it or not.

C'thun priest is ok, but damn is it ever boring to pilot that.

I don't think Herald will see any play. The only way that thing is seeing play is if cards get added in the next adventure that it actually synergizes with, even then I don't know. It still boggles my mind how they made shadowcaster better than a legendary, in the same expansion.

ooooohhh yeah, 8 Win winstreak with C'Thun Priest. Pretty fun deck. The card draw potential + board clear + heal stalling is a good combination with C'Thun.

Moonlight

Banned
Still debating whether or not it's even good to put Valiant in a deck running two Evolves and Masters of Evolution. Seems anti-synergistic?

The 7/7 4 mana Shaman card should honestly overload for 3. It's not nearly punishable enough. Or make it a 7/6 where it fits the line that can be dealt with Backstab + Evis and the like. Sap literally does nothing.
Sap is pretty good against it, like Sap is good against most Overload minions. You can't even play Faceless out again after it's sapped since you're playing with 3 mana the next turn, and a 7/7 on Turn 6 is a lot worse than 7/7 on Turn 4.

I honestly think the factor that determines whether you will win or lose a game playing a cthun deck is if you can curve out brann and he lives
Brann + Twin Emperor's to help him survive.

I think C'Thun will make more sense when people stop treating him like he should instantly win the game when you play him. Even at 10/10, he is totally worth a 10 mana drop. Ragnaros, Ysera, etc., don't instantly win you the game, and none of them have such an immediate impact on the state of the board as C'Thun does. I think we'll see plenty of him, but people will have healthier expectations than "win the game".

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I guess the thing I was most wrong about was saying Rogue has no place in this expansion.

Turns out you don't need board control as long as you have conceal + Auctioneer/Malygos

Brann + Twin Emperor's to help him survive.

I think C'Thun will make more sense when people stop treating him like he should instantly win the game when you play him. Even at 10/10, he is totally worth a 10 mana drop. Ragnaros, Ysera, etc., don't instantly win you the game, and none of them have such an immediate impact on the state of the board as C'Thun does. I think we'll see plenty of him, but people will have healthier expectations than "win the game".
Fun fact
Grim Patron is Cthun's worst nightmare

Priest is garbage tier outside of midrange decks like dragon priest. Worst class in the game right now IMO, worst than druids.

Even Cthun priest is pretty bad, I wont play that over Dragon priest.

Fucking Blizzard takes one step forward and eight steps back with Priest. Give us entomb fuck us over with every creative card type possible. We get rehashes of healbot, thoughtsteal, etc. Rogue gets a card that makes 1/1 mimics in hand, we get a bull shit legendary that has the same effect but puts it on board for easy kill. Deathrattles are basically shit tier, no adequate buff choices, and to top it all off, the one card that was pivotal for Priest keeping the board clear gets rotated out while they introduce a fuck-ton of overpowered minions and Final Boss Shaman. FUCK YOU BLIZZARD! /rant

Every card in Priest hand has to be a tech card at this point. SWD, SWP, SWH, Circle, MCT, BGH. HOW can we CREATE GOOD DECKS when half the cards in our decks need to be used to handle the bullshit other classes put on the board, turn after turn. I thought Rogue would join us in shit tier, but deathrattle Rogue is god tier right now.

Fucking Blizzard takes one step forward and eight steps back with Priest. Give us entomb fuck us over with every creative card type possible. We get rehashes of healbot, thoughtsteal, etc. Rogue gets a card that makes 1/1 mimics in hand, we get a bull shit legendary that has the same effect but puts it on board for easy kill. Deathrattles are basically shit tier, no adequate buff choices, and to top it all off, the one card that was pivotal for Priest keeping the board clear gets rotated out while they introduce a fuck-ton of overpowered minions and Final Boss Shaman. FUCK YOU BLIZZARD! /rant
I would LOVE to see how Blizzard thought the Priest legendary would be used.

I dunno, but the current iteration is beyond stupid. If the card worked like an Echo of Medivh for fatigue decks by adding the copies to our deck, that would make sense. Same effect as the Rogue's EPIC, but we get full stats and in the deck instead of hand. How is this not the proper form of the card?? As it stands, it's so shit tier, I've contemplated dusting it twice. Or they needed to make a separate card that made use of the board presence ala Evolve. This shit that blizzard churned out just makes me question their design choices going further.

Apathy

i can guess.

"oh hey, lets me a 4/4/3 with a dethrattle that takes copies a card from your opponents hand so it can be coppied by that super cool legendary we gave them. They won't need more than that, every priest will just run sylvanas or cairne. Then Herald will be amazing. Every priest is going to dominate cause 3 deathrattle creatures on board, people won't want to kill to set the deathrattle off, and boom, Herald can come down and it'll be amazing, priest will have 4 of their opponents cards. It's so powerful, we need to tone it down and give it to rogues, but how do we do that. Oh I know, it'll put a 1 cost version of things in their hand so they have to spend that precious mana, total downside"

The thing doesn't even have taunt to stop opponents from instantly hitting 1 health minions as they please to set off undesirable deathrattles off in a controlled manner.

Why couldn't it just be "copy the minions on the board and make 1 mana 1/1 versions of them and put them in your hand". basically a mass shadowcaster. That would have been a legendary

Danj

Thanks to all these packs which Blizzard suddenly seems to be giving out left right and centre, I've now got enough dust to craft a legendary.

What legendary should I craft that I do not already have? Here's my collection. (also thank goodness there's now a utility which can automatically sync your collection!)

Dart

Basically they want you to play either Dragon or C'Thun priest, maybe OTK... Something other than control priest

I tried making a deck for control priest using embrace the shadow, Darkshire Alchemist, shifting shade etc. but without effective taunt or lightbombs it's really really tough

Apathy

Thanks to all these packs which Blizzard suddenly seems to be giving out left right and centre, I've now got enough dust to craft a legendary.

What legendary should I craft that I do not already have? Here's my collection. (also thank goodness there's now a utility which can automatically sync your collection!)

well again, what do you play primarily? what do you want to be playing if not that?

dralla

Hey Priest bros, at least we got Darkshire Alchemist, rite

Does Blizzard ever buff cards? I was hoping Holy Nova would get a buff to counteract the loss of Light Bomb, I guess that's too much to ask for :(

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The 7/7 4 mana Shaman card should honestly overload for 3. It's not nearly punishable enough. Or make it a 7/6 where it fits the line that can be dealt with Backstab + Evis and the like. Sap literally does nothing.

Was playing in Tavern Brawl today, and (as a Hearthstone noob, admittedly) honestly thought the same thing re: Overload 3 vs overload 2.

Unless you have some way to bounce/freeze it, it's a huge presence on turn 4.

Granted, that's Tavern Brawl, so can't really build for it, but IIRC I've seen decidedly worse cards with overload 3 for a roughly similar value.

I dunno, but the current iteration is beyond stupid. If the card worked like an Echo of Medivh for fatigue decks by adding the copies to our deck, that would make sense. Same effect as the Rogue's EPIC, but we get full stats and in the deck instead of hand. How is this not the proper form of the card?? As it stands, it's so shit tier, I've contemplated dusting it twice. Or they needed to make a separate card that made use of the board presence ala Evolve. This shit that blizzard churned out just makes me question their design choices going further.
That would be great, but it would also be the third card like that and a bit unoriginal.

Whichever legendary lets you complete a deck you want to play. :)

i can guess.

"oh hey, lets me a 4/4/3 with a dethrattle that takes copies a card from your opponents hand so it can be coppied by that super cool legendary we gave them. They won't need more than that, every priest will just run sylvanas or cairne. Then Herald will be amazing. Every priest is going to dominate cause 3 deathrattle creatures on board, people won't want to kill to set the deathrattle off, and boom, Herald can come down and it'll be amazing, priest will have 4 of their opponents cards. It's so powerful, we need to tone it down and give it to rogues, but how do we do that. Oh I know, it'll put a 1 cost version of things in their hand so they have to spend that precious mana, total downside"

The thing doesn't even have taunt to stop opponents from instantly hitting 1 health minions as they please to set off undesirable deathrattles off in a controlled manner.

Why couldn't it just be "copy the minions on the board and make 1 mana 1/1 versions of them and put them in your hand". basically a mass shadowcaster. That would have been a legendary
But even then, those 1/1 minions are just crappy versions of Echo of Medivh. They should have gone in another direction entirely. Priests aren't a minion-heavy class. Like how about a legendary spell? Or MtG's Pariah? That would be worth playing.

Hey Priest bros, at least we got Darkshire Alchemist, rite

Does Blizzard ever buff cards? I was hoping Holy Nova would get a buff to counteract the loss of Light Bomb, I guess that's too much to ask for :(
I don't think Blizzard has buffed a card since release...

Moonlight

Banned
But even then, those 1/1 minions are just crappy versions of Echo of Medivh. They should have gone in another direction entirely. Priests aren't a minion-heavy class. Like how about a legendary spell? Or MtG's Pariah? That would be worth playing.
I mean, that's arguable. Shadowcaster puts a 4/4 on the board for 5 and that 1/1 copy is a lot more valuable when a lot of the impact cards will have don't have anything to do with their statline and more for their Battlecry, which is even better since the copies will cost 1. Echo of Medivh fills your hand with your board which is cool, but Shadowcaster is flexible enough and has enough synergies with existing Rogue mechanics like Combo to not 'just' be a crappy Echo.

Dart

I really wish they would bring that Priest spell: "Fade" back, it would be really useful right now

Fade_Gold.png

Apathy

That would be great, but it would also be the third card like that and a bit unoriginal.

Whichever legendary lets you complete a deck you want to play. :)

I don't think Blizzard has buffed a card since release...

Yeah but then they would actually have some synergy over just deathrattles (because seriously whos copying anything other than a deathrattle minion with herald as it is now). Then you could copy battlecry effect cards as well, or copy heal cards like darkshaire alchemist or the cthun healing one. Having exposed 1/1's basically means to get any value out of them they have to be deathrattles. Deathrattles that stayed on the board and were not an immediate threat to your opponent. If an opponent lets you copy a sylvanas, he already lost. Herald as is now is a waste and at least 1/1's in your hand would be better.

Well, Mage used to be my main, but I couldn't really get anywhere with it due to not having Antonidas... I could craft Antonidas I guess, but is he still relevant in this new C'thun filled meta?

Antonidis is strong and will always be strong for mages. Your deck just has to have something to back him up like cheap spells to get your fireballs. If mage is what you want to play, I dont think you can go wrong with antonidis. Again, whatever you think you'll enjoy playing, class and deck wise and see what other people put in those decks as far as legendaries go.If you're going to spend the dust, you might as well do it for something you want to play

Herald Volazj copied my silenced Tournament Medic as a silenced 1 1, seems a little strange. Guess it works like faceless that minion then set it to 1?

Really?! Geeze the card is a train wreck.

Herald Volazj copied my silenced Tournament Medic as a silenced 1 1, seems a little strange. Guess it works like faceless that minion then set it to 1?

Well, Mage used to be my main, but I couldn't really get anywhere with it due to not having Antonidas... I could craft Antonidas I guess, but is he still relevant in this new C'thun filled meta?
Antonidas is fantastic - a worthwhile card to craft.

I mean, that's arguable. Shadowcaster puts a 4/4 on the board for 5 and that 1/1 copy is a lot more valuable when a lot of the impact cards will have don't have anything to do with their statline and more for their Battlecry, which is even better since the copies will cost 1. Echo of Medivh fills your hand with your board which is cool, but Shadowcaster is flexible enough and has enough synergies with existing Rogue mechanics like Combo to not 'just' be a crappy Echo.
Blood Echoes, too, though.

Yeah but then they would actually have some synergy over just deathrattles (because seriously whos copying anything other than a deathrattle minion with herald as it is now). Then you could copy battlecry effect cards as well, or copy heal cards like darkshaire alchemist or the cthun healing one. Having exposed 1/1's basically means to get any value out of them they have to be deathrattles. Deathrattles that stayed on the board and were not an immediate threat to your opponent. If an opponent lets you copy a sylvanas, he already lost. Herald as is now is a waste and at least 1/1's in your hand would be better.
I feel like pre-WotOG, decks lacked diversity due to necessity. Some cards were just too good not to play. Now, they might lack diversity due to intentional design and a lack of options.

I feel like pre-WotOG, decks lacked diversity due to necessity. Some cards were just too good not to play. Now, they might lack diversity due to intentional design and a lack of options.

That's what has me worried most about Blizzard - they sometimes envision a way they like their characters / games to be played and balance for that instead of balancing for the sake of keeping everything viable.

For now though, I'll ride the meta wave. Ignoring challenges that keep me from ranking up as I've only got a couple days to get a decent chest out of it.

bjaelke

You get a copy of the minion including status effects. I stole a Tyrion and popped the Divine Shield before copying it with Herald. It gave me a cute 1/1 copy without the Divine Shield but still with taunt and deathrattle. Super intimidating.

Also had Emperor on board giving me double discount.

JohnCYQ

Priest can use C'Thun, but N'Zoth Priest just seems strictly better to me. Shaman, Zoo, and Miracle Rogue are leagues ahead of any of the C'Thun decks in terms of power.
What deathrattles do you even have access to in standard as a priest? There's sylvanas sure, Dark cultist is gone, 1/2 discover a deathrattle is okay(a lot worse in standard), then what? At least with Paladins you have tirion (and you can run dragon synergies for chillmaw while still having a decent set of control/removal tools), rogues have at least 4 other deathrattle minions/spells plus raptor.

ZZMitch

What deathrattles do you even have access to in standard as a priest? There's sylvanas sure, Dark cultist is gone, 1/2 discover a deathrattle is okay(a lot worse in standard), then what? At least with Paladins you have tirion (and you can run dragon synergies for chillmaw while still having a decent set of control/removal tools), rogues have at least 4 other deathrattle minions/spells plus raptor.

Shifting Shade

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Renounce Darkness -> Tirion Fordring has to be my favorite flavor events that happens. "Put your faith in the light."

I also loved it when I played Varian, and it pulled out Bloodmage Thalnos and two cursed blades. "Behold the army of Stormwind!"

Zemm

Every card in Priest hand has to be a tech card at this point. SWD, SWP, SWH, Circle, MCT, BGH. HOW can we CREATE GOOD DECKS when half the cards in our decks need to be used to handle the bullshit other classes put on the board, turn after turn. I thought Rogue would join us in shit tier, but deathrattle Rogue is god tier right now.

You're not wrong. My only golden class is priest and it is shit tier now. It has never been top tier unlike all the other classes, but right now it's in such a bad state that I won't even play it. It'll carry on being shit tier for another year, not quite bad enough that Blizzard will buff the class, but never good enough for tournaments still.

That's what has me worried most about Blizzard - they sometimes envision a way they like their characters / games to be played and balance for that instead of balancing for the sake of keeping everything viable.

For now though, I'll ride the meta wave. Ignoring challenges that keep me from ranking up as I've only got a couple days to get a decent chest out of it.
If they wanted the game to be played the way they wanted to they'd be nerfing and buffing cards way more often, sadly the opposite is true. They like to just let the game go wherever it's going until something is too broken, after which they'll take like a year to fix it.

Apathy

cairne, sylvanas, shifting shade, loot hoarder, polluted hoarder, harvest golem, spawn of n'zoth, chillmaw (even in non dragon priest, still a taunt), twilight summoner, infested tauren. Probably a few more.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kolento playing a decent looking Midrange shaman on stream right now. It's the kind of deck sitting in the middle of the road deck was thinking of last page; not quite totems, not quite aggro, not quite evolve. Evolve always seemed too volatile to me next to the brute threat of Flamewreathed.

Earth Shock
Lightning Bolt x2
Rockbiter
Trogg
Lava Shock
Sentinel x2
Totem Golem x2
Feral Spirit x2
Hex x2
Lightning Storm x2
Tuskarr x2
Unbound Elemental
Flamewreathed x2
Master of Evo x2
Earth Elemental x2 (finally playable)
Fire Elemental x2
Thing from Below x2
Ragnaros

As a F2P scrub this is probably the most fun Hearthstone has been for me. Was lucky enough to get a golden Twin Emperor in my 13 free packs (and Y'Shaarj). Plonked the preset c'thun deck for priest, got to rank 14 pretty easily.

I've also been playing around with trolly mana wraith decks with a lot of taunt cards. Can completely screw C'Thun decks with that from time to time

JohnCYQ

cairne, sylvanas, shifting shade, loot hoarder, polluted hoarder, harvest golem, spawn of n'zoth, chillmaw (even in non dragon priest, still a taunt), infested tauren. Probably a few more.
...polluted hoarder and spawn of nzoth, really? I meant good/viable deathrattle minions. Not even zoo uses spawn. =/

BashNasty

I'm having an absolute blast with Old Gods, it's been really, really fun coming up with all sorts of strange new decks and throwing them out there.

However, aggro shaman is, as everyone knows, absolutely disgusting. I beat it often enough, but it's always by the skin of my teeth. When I lose to it, it's just... not fun at all. People need to chill out on their love of dumb bullshit and take a crack at doing something interesting with their decks.
People being the way that they are that will never, ever happen... but it's such a nice thought.

You get a copy of the minion including status effects. I stole a Tyrion and popped the Divine Shield before copying it with Herald. It gave me a cute 1/1 copy without the Divine Shield but still with taunt and deathrattle. Super intimidating.

Also had Emperor on board giving me double discount.
I think I incurred maximum salt in a recent match against a N'Zoth Paladin a night or two ago. Dahbomb was watching, so he can vouch.

Early in the game, Thought Steal gave me an Aldor Peacekeeper.
My opponent played Tirion.
Aldor Peacekeeper to set his attack to 1.
Cabal Shadow Priest to steal it.
Opponent plays a SECOND Tirion he got from a discovery.
Mind Control it.

So I'm sitting with 2 Tirions on my board and he hasn't anything.

what do you guys think of

200px-Faceless_Shambler%2833133%29.png

vs

200px-Darkspeaker%2835229%29.png
They're opposite in intent. Faceless Shambler is something you use on a huge minion like C'Thun. Darkspear is something you use on a weak minion to make sure it lasts longer, like Mana Tide Totem or Knife Juggler.

Apathy

...polluted hoarder and spawn of nzoth, really? I meant good/viable deathrattle minions. Not even zoo uses spawn. =/

I know, I mean thats just how bad deathrattles are right now for priests.

so it really boils down to 3 things, cairne, sylvanas, shifting shade. I know someone brought up inspire minions a little bit ago, and while a nice though, the inspire minion like a deathrattle minion needs to stay alive so you can drop herald, and that in itself is a problem seeing as the good inspire minions basically have a soft taunt on them. Like you're crazy to let confessor stay alive longer than a turn (plus shes 7 mana, and no one plays her before turn 9 to guarantee you can use her at least once).

You're not wrong. My only golden class is priest and it is shit tier now. It has never been top tier unlike all the other classes, but right now it's in such a bad state that I won't even play it. It'll carry on being shit tier for another year, not quite bad enough that Blizzard will buff the class, but never good enough for tournaments still.

Golden Priest was also my first golden class and I did that in the dark days of Miracle Rogue, Deathrattle Hunter, and the likes. I stuck with the class through all the bullshit decks. We got Lightbomb and it was a god-send. No more filling my hand with two 0-mana dead cards without Soulpriest. Bleh. I won't go on a tangent again. I feel the pain though bro. I will just main Paladin in standard for now and play N'Zoth Priest only in Wild.

Levi

Banned
So far my best win rates in standard are:

1. Zoo. (Winning by t5 if I draw well, currently 10-3),

2. Warrior (day one C'thun Warrior w/ Brawl was just wrecking all the C'thun Druids)

3. Rogue (deathrattle Rogue is really powerful and can be way behind most of the game and then just win, but seems weak to aggro).

4. Druid (barely played C'thun Druid, it, but seemed fine, if a bit weak compared to C'thun Warrior).

100. Priest (tried a couple Priest variations, class just feels helpless).

Still need to try Shaman (I didn't pull of the Shaman epics or legendaries and I haven't bothered to craft them yet), Mage I didn't get the new epics, beast Hunter seems fun but after a couple games I realized it wasn't for me,

Puck Faladin.

Top Bottom