• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

I feel like Freeze Mage is overrated. I almost never lose to the deck, and I can't seem to win with it in this meta, either.

Freeze mage is as strong as ever. The loss of mad scientist was not a big deal at all. Especially when you add in the fact that loatheb and healing bot are gone, which has a bigger impact on the match up than mad scientist.

Their are probably some lists that might be favored I suppose. Like warrior is of course. And I guess paladin stands a chance due to forbidden healing being capable of restoring them a ton of hp + lightlord and probably even lay on hands. I remember a time when I could beat freeze mage with enough healing as paladin, so I know it is possible.

Freeze mage is as strong as ever. The loss of mad scientist was not a big deal at all. Especially when you add in the fact that loatheb and healing bot are gone, which has a bigger impact on the match up than mad scientist.

Their are probably some lists that might be favored I suppose. Like warrior is of course. And I guess paladin stands a chance due to forbidden healing being capable of restoring them a ton of hp + lightlord and probably even lay on hands. I remember a time when I could beat freeze mage with enough healing as paladin, so I know it is possible.

Hallazeal, too.

Decklist?

I was thinking of a different intro than "Trogg into Totem Golem" and decided to give C'Thun cards a shot.

Early game is a problem if they get going fast, but past that it's been pretty solid. I don't really rely on C'Thun. He's just there if the game gets drawn out.

cQhRTZg.png

Schnauzer

Still doing fine with Dragon Priest. I'm not sure. I tried C'THUN priest and had success. While it's a lot easier to get flawless victories with C'THUN I found dragon priest a lot more consistent. Games seem to be closer, but you win more often against a higher variety of decks.

The choose druid deck is a lot of fun and surprisingly more competitive than I thought it would be. I originally read the druid legendary thinking WTF when I got it.

Though nearly 50% of my games seem to be against Shaman. Then a decent amount of Warlock followed by Warrior. Also paladins are easy to counter with dragon priest, well aggro pally is all I'm seeing.

styl3s

so many bad zoo players
In the pool of people playing right now if you can't win games playing zoo you are just not very good at the game. This is a problem i see with my friends who are coming from MTG thinking they just automatically understand the entirety of the meta and they can never break below rank 10-11 and just blame it on RNG fucking them. I don't even consider myself a good player and zoo took me from 23-17 while i was watching Game of Thrones and Fear The Walking Dead.

Those people aren't bad zoo players, they are just bad players. It's a problem in every TCG, i see people coming in my shop all the time net decking starcitygames decks and getting their asses completely handed to them because they never took the time to actually learn anything.

greepoman

Hallazeal, too.

Speaking of him...still haven't seen him in one of my games which kind of surprises me. What new class legendaries have people seen the most/least ? (in other people's decks, not your own)

Anomalus - never
Rag2 - very rare
Chogall - never
Malk - never
Herald - never
Hallazeal - never
Princess huhu - very rare
Fandral - occasionally
Xaril - almost every rogue deck

Hycran

Banned
Still doing fine with Dragon Priest. I'm not sure. I tried C'THUN priest and had success. While it's a lot easier to get flawless victories with C'THUN I found dragon priest a lot more consistent. Games seem to be closer, but you win more often against a higher variety of decks.

The choose druid deck is a lot of fun and surprisingly more competitive than I thought it would be. I originally read the druid legendary thinking WTF when I got it.

Though nearly 50% of my games seem to be against Shaman. Then a decent amount of Warlock followed by Warrior. Also paladins are easy to counter with dragon priest, well aggro pally is all I'm seeing.

Have a list? I slightly modified the old list and got crushed.

Also, not sure if anyone cared about my pirate warrior deck, but it is the most fun I've had in a long time with warrior and when you get a good start it can even beat top tier decks. All it needs is Jeeves or a pirate card draw mechanic :(

Dahbomb

Speaking of him...still haven't seen him in one of my games which kind of surprises me. What new class legendaries have people seen the most/least ? (in other people's decks, not your own)

Anomalus - never
Rag2 - very rare
Chogall - never
Malk - never
Herald - never
Hallazeal - never
Fandral - occasionally
Never seen Anomalus.

I have seen one other Chogall outside of my own. I have played like 10 games of Renolock and Chogall hasn't done anything for me aside from casting Shadowbolt. The HP drain is too much for Lock players.

Saw Malkorok once in a Reno CW that's about it.

Seen Herald a few times, not common though.

Seen Princess Huhu enough when going against Hunters and have used her myself quite a bit. Card is good.

Seen Fandral a few times, getting more common recently.

See Ragnaros in every control Paladin list.

See Xaril in every Rogue deck (that I get to see enough of the deck). Usually I end up playing against the card multiple times because Rogues always pick that card from Deathrattle options.

fertygo

Anomalus - never
Rag2 - very rare
Chogall - never
Malk - never
Herald - never
Hallazeal - never
Fandral - occasionally

I see Rag2 on every Paladin

Chogall and Herald is a confirmed flop so far, and Anomalous is Evolve grenade

Dahbomb

Herald isn't bad at all, it's a must in Control Shaman.

Issue is that Midrange and Aggro Shaman are far superior to Control Shaman.

It's the same issue as Hunter all over again... only Shaman can play a better Control game still.

Anomalus was always a very strange card. Chogall has disappointed me in practice. I mean I never even came close to claiming it to be Dr 7 like SOME PEOPLE but I thought that it could replace Molten Giant as a tempo play later in the game. Issue is that when you are getting rush down, using up more of your HP isn't ideal and sometimes the spells don't line up with Chogall ESPECIALLY in Renolock where you aren't running doubles of stuff like Siphon Soul.

Levi

Banned

Anomalus - never
Rag2 - frequently
Chogall - never
Malk - once
Herald - never
Hallazeal - day one several times but not since
Princess huhu - once
Fandral - occasionally
Xaril - every rogue deck

Zoggy

xaril is in everything.

light rag is used somewhat.

i use malkorok a lot, haven't seen it much tho.

haven't seen much of the others.

and anomalous has been played 0 times.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, is Undercity Huckster the card people were the most wrong about? People were calling it crap when first shown, but its basically a rogue deck staple already.

I've seen all the new class legendary cards except the mage one.

But to be fair regarding chogall, slow warlock decks are consistently late to the meta. I think they take a lot of fine tuning, and with molten giant nerfed I think chogall itself took a hit. I think my evaluation of it being insane was true before the MG nerf was revealed. Now I think it will probably will be insane once the next set or two comes out. And right now it's still got potential imo.

Have you guys gotten tempo mage to work? It's sorely missing secrets and heal...

Tempo mage never really ran heals to begin with. I can see some lists still running secrets, more as a choice though or off cabalist's tome.

The new lists are a bit slower with the loss of mad scientist, but they never run out of steam because of cabalist's tome.

KuroNeeko

N'Zoth priest, it's surprisingly fun to play, more so than c'thun imo.

Museum Curators are just the icing on the cake.
Are you playing with Twilight Summoners?

If Blade Flurry wasn't nerfed Rogue can terrifying as shit, they still surprisingly competitive and their addition is solid and meta benefit them is the key tho

I like the "new" Rogue, but for all their talk of "identity", they sure are starting to look a bit like Priests.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Death Rattle Rogue is a ton of fun and pretty good, but damn do games take a long time. Maybe I should grind up to rank 10 with Bubble Paladin or Zoolock first.

I have like zero desire to play a C'Thun deck. They just look so boring.

zoukka

Tempo mage never really ran heals to begin with. I can see some lists still running secrets, more as a choice though or off cabalist's tome.

The new lists are a bit slower with the loss of mad scientist, but they never run out of steam because of cabalist's tome.

Yeah value is not the problem, but if it comes to face race, no heals and secrets hurts a lot.

KuroNeeko

Yeah, Dragon Priest has been doing pretty well. It held its own versus Zoo and the fat Taunts have been good against the limited number of Shaman I've seen (since they've all ranked up already. lol)

Tarazet

lets put aside 29 damage on an empty board and say "fine it's unreliable to think you can pull it off all the time"

The fact that freeze mage has been shown to very very reliably do 19-21 damage with no spell power and 1 emp tick while stalling the game is nothing short of ridiculous. Hell with lack of heals now, you plop alex and you only have to do 15 from hand and most classes are dead, 2 fireballs and a frostbolt Something you can do without reduction

I've done 29 damage from an empty board for lethal, it was on turn 10 though. Alex - Frostbolt - Frostbolt - Ice Lance - Ice Lance. Doing even that is pretty exceptional, pulling it on turn 7 is one in a million.

Herald isn't bad at all, it's a must in Control Shaman.

Issue is that Midrange and Aggro Shaman are far superior to Control Shaman.

It's the same issue as Hunter all over again... only Shaman can play a better Control game still.

Anomalus was always a very strange card. Chogall has disappointed me in practice. I mean I never even came close to claiming it to be Dr 7 like SOME PEOPLE but I thought that it could replace Molten Giant as a tempo play later in the game. Issue is that when you are getting rush down, using up more of your HP isn't ideal and sometimes the spells don't line up with Chogall ESPECIALLY in Renolock where you aren't running doubles of stuff like Siphon Soul.

I think the issue is that it only works on the turn you play chogall so you're always waiting for value from him. If it was the next spell no matter the turn. Then yea I'd see it being better and not as slow

fertygo

Death Rattle Rogue is a ton of fun and pretty good, but damn do games take a long time. Maybe I should grind up to rank 10 with Bubble Paladin or Zoolock first.

I have like zero desire to play a C'Thun deck. They just look so boring.

Rogue or Shaman Variant looks fun, especially Rogue's, Xaril and Blade improve its mixability

Leezard

I got so much dust from dusting GVG/Naxx that I'm not gonna buy more wotg packs until I get more league of explorers cards. Brann seems so good right now.

Anomalus - never
Rag2 - frequently
Chogall - never
Malk - once
Herald - never
Princess huhu - once
Fandral - occasionally
Xaril - every rogue deck

This is very accurate. So sad that Cho'gall isn't seeing any play. Zoo is so boring.

Anomalus - never
Rag2 - frequently
Chogall - never
Malk - once
Herald - never
Princess huhu - once
Fandral - occasionally
Xaril - every rogue deck
I think they're all good except for Herald and Anomalus. The jury is still out on the latter - maybe he's meant for a Freeze Mage wipe?

Edit: Actually, if he just had Taunt he would be a fantastic legendary.

Pooya

I give up yogg saron for unstable portal any time. This pos cast resurrect and of all card to resurrect that game is archmage. Then proceeds to cast tentacles on it so that I can't kill it.

This is the most bullshit card this game has seen yet. I'm only hoping with some time, it backfires enough times so that it phases out, if it sticks around I'm done with this game.

Tarazet

I've decided I will play Valeera for now in ladder, because I am so sick of getting blown out by Priests. Fuck you Anduin, I'm coming for you. I don't care how many times I get my ass handed to me by Rexxar.

zoukka

I've decided I will play Valeera for now in ladder, because I am so sick of getting blown out by Priests. Fuck you Anduin, I'm coming for you. I don't care how many times I get my ass handed to me by Rexxar.

Rexxar is officially retired from standard.

KuroNeeko

Priest, especially Dragon Priest, is probably one of the few things that may be equipped to handle Shaman.

But go ahead, Dragon Priest is pretty good against Rogue too, unless you're just playing Miracle. If you're having tons of problems with Priest in this environment, then I don't really know what to tell you.

Top Bottom