• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Catvoca

Banned
Dr Balanced will never be disenchanted from my collection. Card has won me too many games for that to happen.

Unless they nerf him for whatever reason. But that will never happen, he will remain forever young... and strong.

He'll forever be good in Tavern Brawls at least.

Epix

I'm looking at my account information on Hearthpwn and the "Cycled-Out Dust Calculator" says that I can get 4k dust from Naxx and GvG. How do I found out what cards these are?

Dahbomb

I'm looking at my account information on Hearthpwn and the "Cycled-Out Dust Calculator" says that I can get 4k dust from Naxx and GvG. How do I found out what cards these are?
Go in your Collection, in the bottom left hand side there's a button you can click that allows you to sort collection via Sets. You probably have to scroll down a bit to get to the GvG and Naxx sections.

FeD.nL

On your collection page on the bottom left you can choose a specific set.

In game, go to My Collection. Click the small icon on the bottom left. You can then sort your cards by set. Wild-only sets have different coloured pages (I think it's green?).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
In this video, Kripp shows he doesn't know how the square-cube law works.

https://youtu.be/uA4ZzoXakrg

You can't just double every number on a card and say the end result is as just good as the original, Kripp.

Epix

Ok thanks guys.

So Standard play rules out ALL cards from Naxx and GvG, correct? So if I decide to never play Wild again, I'm free to dust both those sets....

The reason I ask is because the "Cycled-Out Dust Calculator" says 2 legendaries between Naxx and GvG can be dusted, but I have 7 legendaries in total from those two sets. I have no idea which 2 the calculator is referring to.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/members/Ethos10/collection

FeD.nL

Ok thanks guys.

So Standard play rules out ALL cards from Naxx and GvG, correct? So if I decide to never play Wild again, I'm free to dust both those sets....

The reason I ask is because the "Cycled-Out Dust Calculator" says 2 legendaries between Naxx and GvG can be dusted, but I have 7 legendaries in total from those two sets. I have no idea which 2 the calculator is referring to.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/members/Ethos10/collection

Yup, Naxx and GvG have been rotated out. So if you're 100% you'll never play Wild than those are safe to dust.

edit: The calculator probably doesn't register the adventure Legendaries which is why they don't show up.

If you want to play lots of different decks right away then you have 2 options.
  1. Prepare ahead of time. Save up your gold and dust in preparation for the the expansion. You can do this by getting really good at arena or just completing your daily quests.
  2. Buy packs with real money.
If you do not want to or can't do those things then you have should pick a class you don't like and disenchant the cards you don't think you'll ever use. You can accumulate lots of dust this way. Create the most powerful or fun neutral minions/cards and use them as substitutes in the decks you want to play.

Eventually you will be able to wipe with dust also!

This is a great recommendation. I've been playing Shaman since before GvG and have only purchased the adventures. Even those you can purchase just the wing you want/need with in game gold. But the adventures are entertaining to me outside of just rewards. I didn't realize it but you can dust the legends you get from adventure and that can help you make the cards you want. Especially as many of the best adventure cards are not legendaries.

Doing your dailies at a minimum will give you 280 gold a week and the 10 gold per 3 wins will get you at least 50 gold a week. Brawl will get you a guaranteed pack for a win. So that is over 300 gold and a pack by just doing dailies and a brawl, and most dailies can be completed via brawl. If you still aren't comfortable constructing a deck you can buy two arena entries with that gold and get even more packs, gold and dust. Blizzard has done a great job giving people free and even playing field methods to earn gold. And I don't consider 2-3 wins a day to be grinding. Especially for a game that can be played anytime you are waiting for something else or while you eat lunch or even a short break at work.

I can't remember when Flame Juggler actually hit a minion for me.

It's the same with Ship's Cannon. I finally got my Flame Juggler to hit a Stealthed Worgen Infiltrator the other day. I was shocked even though it was only a 50/50 chance. Karma got me back when I lost a 3/1 Stealth minion to a Ship's Cannon followed by Bloodsail Raider a few games later.

Dahbomb

You can't just double every number on a card and say the end result is as just good as the original, Kripp.
The idea is the same.

Low costed minions are over stated for their cost and which is the one of the main reasons Aggro works so well in the game.

Some of those same cards if printed with increase in power level per cost would be broken. Case in point when Blizzard printed Faceless Flamewreathe which is essentially two Totem Golems in one card stats wise. Totem Golem is a strong 2 drop (not broken because 2 drops are already over statted as it is) but when that same formula was applied to a 4 drop it resulted in an over powered card.

This is especially the case for 1 drops where you have stuff like Mana Wyrm, Void Walker, Flame Imp, Tunnel Trogg etc. which are good enough to be 2 drops.

In an ideal game this wouldn't be an issue because low cost cards means you should be able to empty out your hand and eventually run out of cards to play. However, HS games generally end before that happen so that drawback of playing aggro doesn't come into play as much as it should. Especially when the Warlock hero power exists.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

#VeganMath

The entire concept makes no sense. Why are we multiplying to get the higher stats? There are such things as growth curves, why not follow an exponential or something else? Hearthstone doesn't follow a multiplicative curve so there is no point trying to fit one to the stats. This video hurt my head with its "math". There is some merit to saying that playing each minion on curve is the most powerful way to play, but that seems to be by design. The game just works that way because that is how Blizzard designed it.

Kripp's "argument", isn't an argument at all. It's a person who doesn't understand math trying to apply a concept that makes no sense to the thing he knows.

Saying that the low cost minions are more efficient is a thing that can be proved, but the math in video is NOT how you would do that.

Dahbomb

There is some merit to saying that playing each minion on curve is the most powerful way to play, but that seems to be by design.
That's not what he's saying at all.

He's saying that playing 1 mana minion into 2 1 mana minions is WAY better than playing a 1 mana minion into a 2 mana minion.

And that's why Aggro is so strong right now.

FeD.nL

I do agree with him that aggro decks are way too efficient time-wise when laddering. Like you almost get punished inherently for playing a control deck. I had hope we would've gotten a proper tournament mode by now with rankings and in conquest format.

ZealousD

The idea is the same.

Low costed minions are over stated for their cost and which is the one of the main reasons Aggro works so well in the game.

Some of those same cards if printed with increase in power level per cost would be broken. Case in point when Blizzard printed Faceless Flamewreathe which is essentially two Totem Golems in one card stats wise. Totem Golem is a strong 2 drop (not broken because 2 drops are already over statted as it is) but when that same formula was applied to a 4 drop it resulted in an over powered card.

This is especially the case for 1 drops where you have stuff like Mana Wyrm, Void Walker, Flame Imp, Tunnel Trogg etc. which are good enough to be 2 drops.

In an ideal game this wouldn't be an issue because low cost cards means you should be able to empty out your hand and eventually run out of cards to play. However, HS games generally end before that happen so that drawback of playing aggro doesn't come into play as much as it should. Especially when the Warlock hero power exists.

I do understand that the current popular 1 and 2 drops are generally overpowered relative to their mana cost. But the effect isn't nearly as exaggerated as Kripp suggests. He's claiming that it is the value of these early drops that make aggro strong, when that really isn't the case. Most of the "fair" 1 drops are generally recognized to be terrible because they offer extremely little value in the late game. You don't want to draw them. It's more about the fact that early game gives you the initiative to control the pace of the game. That is what makes aggro strong. Not stats-for-cost.

He addresses that in his video. Kripp isn't a moron. And he is right that 1 + 2 drops are super efficient for their mana cost. And a card's power curve does decline significantly at 3 and 4 mana and up. The reason why is recognized and explained even in the video.

ZealousD

He's saying that playing 1 mana minion into 2 1 mana minions is WAY better than playing a 1 mana minion into a 2 mana minion.

I'm terms of tempo, sure. That's true. But tempo, as important of a concept as it is in this game, is not the end-all-be-all. A deck that goes purely for the fastest tempo as possible can get punished by decks with a completely different gameplan, like decks with board clears, heavy taunts, and strong healing. Sometimes your tempo is destroyed by your opponent getting a huge card advantage (if they draw it).

But in games where both decks go for tempo, the deck that plays two 1 drops will beat the deck that plays a 2 drop, absolutely. Aggro decks can't play the card advantage game with each other so whoever gets initiative first, wins. But there is a reason that control decks do much better against aggro than midrange.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

And that is only true because 2 is double 1. Math dictates that when you can get something for 0 that is the most efficient way to play. So when efficiency is the highest on the low cost minions (which it always will be, unless all your low cost minions have 0 for stats), then of course this is true. Having 2 1 mana minions be better than 1 2 mana minion is fine in a world where there is a way to punish someone who plays lots of 1 mana minions. The issue is that there is no way to punish players who play efficient cheap minions, because all the board clears: 1. don't actually clear the board sometimes, and 2. are inefficient. Even some aggro decks have cards that actually PUNISH the other player for trying to maintain a card advantage (Divine Favor). This gives literally no options to stop the small minions.

I have been hoping for a few expansions that Blizzard would print some efficient board clears, and Shadow Word: Horror is the closest we have gotten.

Dahbomb

A deck that goes purely for the fastest tempo as possible can get punished by decks with a completely different gameplan, like decks with board clears, heavy taunts, and strong healing.
Wow... all those super powerful board clears, heavy non Druid taunts and strong non Paladin healing introduced in the expansion...

Man my Control Warlock is doing really good with Cult Apothecary for heal and that dank Annoyotron as a taunt while using Doomsayer for early game board clears.

Dahbomb

Wait but Paladin has all of that.
They didn't introduce any powerful taunts or clears for Paladins in this expansion. Just some powerful heals.

That's cool but everyone aside from Paladin and Priest are starving for heals. Paladin was lucky in that they had some of the most efficient clears in the game through Classic... rest of the classes aren't as lucky and are forced into very specific archetypes.

They introduced some taunts in the game but none I would call heavy except that Bog Creeper card (pretty late game though). If you want to use the best heavy taunt in the game, then you are forced into using a Cthun deck. And board clears? Don't make me laugh!

Where as every class got something to push an aggressive archetype (except Priest which is why they are in a very bad spot right now).

ZealousD

Wow... all those super powerful board clears, heavy non Druid taunts and strong non Paladin healing introduced in the expansion...

Man my Control Warlock is doing really good with Cult Apothecary for heal and that dank Annoyotron as a taunt while using Doomsayer for early game board clears.

If a class has enough tools for that gameplan in Classic they don't need extra tools for that in this expansion. Pyro+Equality doesn't care if your opponent is playing Darkeshire Councilman or not, it clears it all the same. The only significant hit here is Priest, which really needed a replacement for Lightbomb and didn't get it. Aside from Priest, what class do you really think is begging for a quality board clear and wouldn't be overpowered for having one?

Dahbomb

If a class has enough tools for that gameplan in Classic they don't need extra tools for that in this expansion. Pyro+Equality doesn't care if your opponent is playing Darkeshire Councilman or not, it clears it all the same. The only significant hit here is Priest, which really needed a replacement for Lightbomb and didn't get it. Aside from Priest, what class do you really think is begging for a quality board clear and wouldn't be overpowered for having one?
Druid for one. They took away Poison Seed clear with no replacement in sight.

Warriors have not gotten a board clear since Brawl in Classic. Still forced to use Baron Geddon.

No board clear for Hunters either. They did a good job in TGT but then forgot about the control Hunter archetype and have been forcing a Midrange Beast archetype down our throats.

Rogues got nothing for Blade Flurry nerf so they also lack in the AOE clear department.

It's not just board clears, there were very few good single target removals added to the game either while they nerfed BGH and Owl. Warlocks especially needed an early game removal to fill the hole left by Dark Bomb. Best we got was Shadowstrike.

Ladekabel

Playing Arena more often lately mostly due to the easier double pack reward. But seeing Implosion and Crackle again makes me almost want to never set a foot in Arena again.

ZealousD

Where as every class got something to push an aggressive archetype (except Priest which is why they are in a very bad spot right now).

Okay, here is where your mistake lies. Every new playable aggro card replaces another aggro card. Forbidden Ritual replaces Implosion. Possessed Villager replaced Argent Squire. But board clears and removals DON'T necessarily do this. If you gave mages another full board freeze of some kind, you wouldn't necessarily see Frost Nova and Blizzard getting cut. Freeze Mage would just get crazy af because now it can freeze your whole board 6 times. Every major board clear, heavy healing, or efficient and powerful taunt has a huge effect on the pace of the game for any associated classes. Aggro cards don't necessarily do the same, because they just incrementally improve an aggro deck by swapping one minion for a slightly more efficient one.

Okay, here is where your mistake lies. Every new playable aggro card replaces another aggro card. Forbidden Ritual replaces Implosion. Possessed Villager replaced Argent Squire. But board clears and removals DON'T necessarily do this. If you gave mages another full board freeze of some kind, you wouldn't necessarily see Frost Nova and Blizzard getting cut. Freeze Mage would just get crazy af because now it can freeze your whole board 6 times. Every major board clear, heavy healing, or efficient and powerful taunt has a huge effect on the pace of the game for any associated classes. Aggro cards don't necessarily do the same, because they just incrementally improve an aggro deck by swapping one minion for a slightly more efficient one.
But Priest had Deathlord, which could push an aggro formation if you kept it up, and nothing replaced it.

What's the square-cube law?

But that's why the tradeoff is card advantage. The game's balance falls apart when dropping a lot of small minions isn't punished by running out of cards. That's why Divine Favor is stupid. It's a reward specifically for playing out your hand ASAP with small minions.

I think this is a good change, though. Huge taunts shouldn't be widely available for everyone. It should be a class feature, and them some weaker options are available through neutrals. It's why Lyonar feels so fun and distinct to play in Duelyst.

Dahbomb

I am not talking about just huge taunt, I am talking about just straight up anti aggro taunts like Unstable Ghoul, Deathlord and Belcher.

Big taunts are already in the game. We got Soggoth, Bog Creeper and probably some other stuff. But those don't come out early enough to stop the aggression.

The best neutral taunt in the game right now is Senjin... and that's a sad state of affairs when you realize that.

Kripp's point is 100% correct and is why Divine Favor was top of my nerf list.

It didn't get nerfed.

Take out that (a card that enables powerful 1 drops) and tunnel trogg (an insane 1 drop) and Hearthstone is a much better game.

fertygo

the biggest fallacy of minion stat in HS is somehow "taunt" text is somehow penalize stat distribution, like blizz taught taunt text worth 1 less mana stat distribution..So Lord of Arena is weaker than Boulderfist and Senjin worse than Yeti, most of taunt minion in game fall in this state, its discourage player using them. I believe if anything all taunt minion is the one that have 5 mana 5/6, 6 mana 6/7 and so on.. its made sense too they're the target, they're strong, but instead they the weakest minion in the game.

So you're saying because new aggro cards replace old aggro cards, it's okay? I'm really confused. Because you seem to be saying freeze mage sacrifices nothing to get another board freeze (they already often don't run cone of cold so not sure why you think they'd run another anyway). Whatever freeze mage would cut to run another board freeze acts like aggro replacing one of their old cards, for whatever that is worth.

You're just spelling out a huge problem for the game and acting like it isn't one. Because aggro cards getting more efficient versions of old ones is a huge problem, one that pro players like reynad identified as an issue back in classic. And a problem that showed itself being an issue for many people when secret paladin came into play. And one that shifting from wild to standard is supposed to address at least in part. "Just" replacing an old card for a more efficient one is essentially power creep.

I understand and agree now why people hoped for more nerfs. Because decks like zoolock and freeze mage just plug in their new "slightly" more efficient cards and kept on trucking as if nothing really changed.

I am surprised to find myself agreeing with kripp regarding aggro decks. These super efficient 1 and 2 drops, mainly the 1 drops to be honest, are problematic, but not because they exist, but because there are too many of them. Imagine if leper gnome wasn't nerfed, what shit state the game would be in.

Dahbomb

At least to Blizzard's credit they did try to nerf aggro by nerfing Leper Gnome, Juggler and Arcane Golem.

They also introduced far less Deathrattle minions that spawn more minions.

But they still got some way to go.

Kripp's point is 100% correct and is why Divine Favor was top of my nerf list.

It didn't get nerfed.

Take out that (a card that enables powerful 1 drops) and tunnel trogg (an insane 1 drop) and Hearthstone is a much better game.
I think Tunnel Trogg and Mana Wyrm should be 1/2 cards. Make them just a little easier to counter, because right now Mana Wyrm followed by coin and Mirror Image is starting the game with an absurd 3/3 and two 0/2 taunts. If you didn't draw removal, the game might be over right there.

It's funny that Hunters just got a 2/1 with a deathrattle ping that MIGHT be useful. It's probably the best 1-drop available for them, but it still isn't as good as what Shamans and Mages have.

I think Tunnel Trogg and Mana Wyrm should be 1/2 cards. Make them just a little easier to counter, because right now Mana Wyrm followed by coin and Mirror Image is starting the game with an absurd 3/3 and two 0/2 taunts. If you didn't draw removal, the game might be over right there.

It's funny that Hunters just got a 2/1 with a deathrattle ping that MIGHT be useful. It's probably the best 1-drop available for them, but it still isn't as good as what Shamans and Mages have.

Yeah 1/2 sounds like a good start.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man, if they nerf Aggro decks this could be the best hearthstone ever.

I love me some Shaman, but Aggro Shaman is ridic.
And the new Bubble Paladin is nuts too.

ViviOggi

Aww yiss Kripp's back at his shitty Fatigue Warrior like every expansion. Playing that deck is one of the few things bringing him joy in Hearthstone

Tarazet

I am surprised to find myself agreeing with kripp regarding aggro decks. These super efficient 1 and 2 drops, mainly the 1 drops to be honest, are problematic, but not because they exist, but because there are too many of them. Imagine if leper gnome wasn't nerfed, what shit state the game would be in.

I'm with you on 2 drops, not so much on 1 drops. The most efficient ones are Mana Wyrm, Trogg, Northshire Cleric and Bladed Cultist. The latter two are inherently balanced. Cleric because she is so conditional for effect, Cultist because you have to combo for it to become a 2/3, but it can't grow beyond that just from normal play. Wyrm and Trogg snowball like there's no tomorrow if you're not instantly ready for them and have no drawbacks. The only reason Mage isn't everywhere is because the LBYS list is still kind of obscure and little-known in the west.

fertygo

Watch Kripp's video, yeah he totally on point.. he made weird point at start but at the end its coming together when he state card disadvantage doesn't matter you already win from all that efficiency from turn 6

2 flame juggler shit on yeti, you actually can see the practice already in game. And blizz actually give us 2 Totem Golem fused together lol

I'm with you on 2 drops, not so much on 1 drops. The most efficient ones are Mana Wyrm, Trogg, Northshire Cleric and Bladed Cultist. The latter two are inherently balanced. Cleric because she is so conditional for effect, Cultist because you have to combo for it to become a 2/3, but it can't grow beyond that just from normal play. Wyrm and Trogg snowball like there's no tomorrow if you're not instantly ready for them and have no drawbacks. The only reason Mage isn't everywhere is because the LBYS list is still kind of obscure and little-known in the west.

I like bladed cultist. I've been running them in my tempo rogue deck. I should make it even more aggressive, because argent squire turn 1, turn 2 abusive sergeant + bladed cultist is pretty damn busted too lol.

ZealousD

Druid for one. They took away Poison Seed clear with no replacement in sight.

No board clear for Hunters either. They did a good job in TGT but then forgot about the control Hunter archetype and have been forcing a Midrange Beast archetype down our throats.

This discussion could easily get way too long and get out of hand if I address every point, but I'll just say this.

If you're concerned about cards like Poison Seeds and Powershot being rotated out, it doesn't sound like you're concerned about the speed of the meta at all. It sounds more like you want every single class to have viable control or fatigue archetypes. This is the slowest Hunter has ever been. They don't need a board clear.

Dahbomb

It sounds more like you want every single class to have viable control or fatigue archetypes.
Isn't that what Blizzard wants as well? To have classes be viable at not just aggro but control as well?

Then what the hell was the point of adding like 5 control/late game cards to Hunter in TGT?

And LMAO @ Hunter being slow right now. Yeah instead of killing you by turn 7 they kill you by turn 8.

ZealousD

Isn't that what Blizzard wants as well? To have classes be viable at not just aggro but control as well?

Then what the hell was the point of adding like 5 control/late game cards to Hunter in TGT?

Even if it is what Blizzard wants, that doesn't make it healthy for the game. Honestly it's better if the classes are different. If they're all the damn same and can play aggro, midrange, and control all equally what is even the damn point of having classes? And wouldn't every class having multiple viable archetypes at different speeds really fuck with your strategy during the mulligan?

And honestly, everybody saying that aggro is stupid or needs to be nerfed in general really misses the point. The game does need to be slow enough that luck of the draw shouldn't always determine matches (Turn 6 aggro decks can fuck right off) but other aggro decks like zoo or evolve shaman certainly have a place. If you remove aggro from the game completely than Control decks have nothing to do. I don't want to play the game where my first 3 turns as a Warrior are to armor up.

And LMAO @ Hunter being slow right now. Yeah instead of killing you by turn 7 they kill you by turn 8.

I didn't say slow I said slowest. Hunter absolutely slowed down and that effects the speed of the meta overall. Face Hunter and Hybrid Hunter basically no longer exist.

Dahbomb

It's because every class would play a different type of control/midrange/aggro.

Mage's control/aggro plays a lot differently than Shaman's control/aggro which plays a lot different from Warlock control/aggro. Same for Midrange decks especially themed decks like Enraged Warrior decks vs Dragon Priests vs Evolve Shaman.

I would like to see an aggro Priest that converts healing into damage. That would be interesting to see.

Though I think the main thing holding some of these classes back is the hero power. I think Blizzard should really start contemplating alternate hero powers for classes.

And no one is asking to remove aggro here. This always comes up whenever there's this discussion.

fertygo

Aggro should've viable but they shouldn't be the goddamn best deck on game

Aggro shaman is the best deck now, every pro must play one, its BS lol

At least Face Hunter not even tier 3 right now, one more to go

heres my problem with Aggro warlock, they got the cheapest and best taunt in the game. A 1 mana 1/3 that shields a flood of minions and you better hope you can clear them by turn 4. If you could take that card and make it a nuetral then I think that helps everyone against aggro while still giving aggro its benefits.

I guess annoytron is supposed to be that but if you really look at it that is essentially a 2 mana 1/3.

Dahbomb

Current Face Hunter is about as good as a face deck should be.

The fact that Shaman, a class whose hero power does not even aid in face damage, is able to out face a Hunter, a class whose hero power is built specifically for face damage, tells us that there's something severely wrong with Shaman at the moment.

Top Bottom