• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Ken

2 damage short of finishing off a miracle rogue before they kill me next turn. Threw out sir Finley and get hunter's power. :>

2 damage short of finishing off a miracle rogue before they kill me next turn. Threw out sir Finley and get hunter's power. :>

Nice.

I actually took out Sprint and put in beneath the grounds because of all the miracle rogues I've been facing.

Haven't seen one since.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
All of a sudden I REALLY suck at this game. Last month I got to rank 10 without even playing that much, or using a net deck, and this month I'm sub 50% win rate at rank 20. I just can't win games. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to win a game. I have tried making a bunch of decks with 4 different classes. The only thing I haven't tried to do is a C'Thun deck. Is that how you win in the meta now, just play C'thun and pray for RNG?

For botting?
Probably not, but twitch didn't tell him the duration of this ban and c9 kicked him so there is hope.
Ah viewbotting.
Yeah that sucks I guess.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/40edl7/massans_viewbot_evidence/
Massan also tried to get Amaz banned for viewbotting using his viewbots on Amaz's stream, cheated at Pinnacle tournament by fake disconnecting at the start of the games and tried to sell his tournament spot to other player so he would play instead of Massan. People also think that he let his mod "Inormous" impersonate Massan on his stream by using voice changer and streaming without cam.
tl;dr: Massan is a piece of shit.

zoukka

All of a sudden I REALLY suck at this game. Last month I got to rank 10 without even playing that much, or using a net deck, and this month I'm sub 50% win rate at rank 20. I just can't win games. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to win a game. I have tried making a bunch of decks with 4 different classes. The only thing I haven't tried to do is a C'Thun deck. Is that how you win in the meta now, just play C'thun and pray for RNG?

It's normal to struggle after the meta changes radically. Shaman seems to be the new OP class while Rogue and Zoo do fairly well. Ctun decks are pretty strong, but also pretty boring.

ViviOggi

Massan also tried to get Amaz banned for viewbotting using his viewbots on Amaz's stream

1x

Lyng

Probably not, but twitch didn't tell him the duration of this ban and c9 kicked him so there is hope.

http://https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/40edl7/massans_viewbot_evidence/
Massan also tried to get Amaz banned for viewbotting using his viewbots on Amaz's stream, cheated at Pinnacle tournament by fake disconnecting at the start of the games and tried to sell his tournament spot to other player so he would play instead of Massan. People also think that he let his mod "Inormous" impersonate Massan on his stream by using voice changer and streaming without cam.
tl;dr: Massan is a piece of shit.

Damn, yeah he seems like trash then.

No just wait two weeks. It is a cycle that happens every month.

By the end of May you'll be crushing new players again.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Good.

Also Mulch re-introduced into the meta.

I am vindicated yet again!

ZealousD what's the ruling on the blasts if someone ends up being true later on? I was put on blast for Mulch (I believe) but nowadays a lot of Druids are using it post BGH nerf.

I went back to our evaluations. The reason you were put on blast is because Mulch had no place in the popular Druid decks at the time. You even said it was amazing in particular decks like Fatigue Druid but were still willing to take the hit. So I don't think you get to take that one back. You still overrated the card. You were also making comparisons to Sap and it's still not as good as that.

Honestly it's probably best that we don't open that can of worms and search through the archives to see if there are any cards we can put ourselves on un-blast for. We always make these evaluations with the current card pool in mind. We certainly aren't going to go back through our evaluations and do the opposite, and put ourselves on a delayed blast. If the next expansion introduces a new Rogue card that somehow makes Poisoned Blade good, I don't think any of us would be in a hurry to put ourselves on blast for calling that card shit.

georly

I wonder if w/ flood zoo and bubble-adin if arcane explosion is somehow good-ish for the first time? This is the first time where enough decks in the meta flood the board with small minions for it to ever see play, I think.

You're adjusting to a new meta. This last weekend I fell to rank 19 trying different decks and failing horribly. I thought I was doomed. Last night I went from rank 19 to rank 11, and I feel much better about my situation. I decided to just stop trying to be a unique snowflake for now.

patchday

guess I finally played enough Standard matches cause this morning I received my 3 free old god packs and got some rares and gold cards :)

game is so fun... Really was a great stress reliever after getting my butt kicked in LoL this morning

frequency

Why does it matter if someone uses viewbots? Those aren't real people right? So they're not subscribing or anything. And it's not like it has helped Massan with popularity. That guy is hated by everyone in the community and, according to the numbers, didn't really have very many real viewers anyway.

Why does it matter if someone uses viewbots? Those aren't real people right? So they're not subscribing or anything. And it's not like it has helped Massan with popularity. That guy is hated by everyone in the community and, according to the numbers, didn't really have very many real viewers anyway.
Twitch sorts by viewer count. You're boosting the prominence of your stream over others.

guess I finally played enough Standard matches cause this morning I received my 3 free old god packs and got some rares and gold cards :)

game is so fun... Really was a great stress reliever after getting my butt kicked in LoL this morning
While I love MOBAs, it is incredibly frustrating to spend so much of your time to have teammates mess it all up. I'll take Hearthstone's RNG over having to rely on other humans.

Levi

Banned
Everyone keep playing zoo and shaman, 'k? I'm 6-1 over the last two days. I wish I had more time to play, game is feeling really easy right now.

patchday

While I love MOBAs, it is incredibly frustrating to spend so much of your time to have teammates mess it all up. I'll take Hearthstone's RNG over having to rely on other humans.

you feel my pain then! Yeah trying to cut back on MOBA so Hearthstone is my escape. Normally I hate RNG with a passion but for this type of game it seems to fit plus I can eventually craft the card I want. But I'm not going to worry bout crafting a specific card for a very long time. For now I just want to relax, have fun, and learn all the basics :)

frequency

Twitch sorts by viewer count. You're boosting the prominence of your stream over others.

Is it actually effective though? Did Massan actually gain popularity or viewers or anything for being high up on the list?

As I was typing the above sentences, which I have strike out, I realized that it was actually effective. He's not a particularly notable player yet was on Cloud9 with heavy hitters like Kolento and StrifeCro, probably just for his streaming.

Pooya

Everyone keep playing zoo and shaman, 'k? I'm 6-1 over the last two days. I wish I had more time to play, game is feeling really easy right now.

In 2-3 weeks, it will be just that with pockets of control/patron warrior, N'Zoth paly, miracle rogue, freeze mage and maybe druid. I'm not convinced druid anything is very good right now, specially in zoo/shaman meta, you just can't deal with those, face shaman type was not a bad match for druid before but the 7/7 dude and nerfs changed it.

I see a few hunters here and there but face hunter is finally really dead, it's all midrange now. I don't know about priest, looks like the weakest class, Kolento was saying control priest is really strong actually.

fertygo

In 2-3 weeks, it will be just that with pockets of control/patron warrior, N'Zoth paly, miracle rogue, freeze mage and maybe druid. I'm not convinced druid anything is very good right now, specially in zoo/shaman meta, you just can't deal with those, face shaman type was not a bad match for druid before but the 7/7 dude and nerfs changed it.

I see a few hunters here and there but face hunter is finally really dead, it's all midrange now. I don't know about priest, looks like the weakest class, Kolento was saying control priest is really strong actually.

Strifecro's priest list looks fun, its not top tier but if you like Priest its worth to try. its not impossible to drive it to rank 5

you feel my pain then! Yeah trying to cut back on MOBA so Hearthstone is my escape. Normally I hate RNG with a passion but for this type of game it seems to fit plus I can eventually craft the card I want. But I'm not going to worry bout crafting a specific card for a very long time. For now I just want to relax, have fun, and learn all the basics :)
I think the RNG is doable because you enter knowing the RNG is such a factor. Like I play Ram Wrangler, and I've never gotten mad at the results. Sometimes I get a 1/1 parrot, and sometimes I get King Crush. I play the card knowing that range of possibilities, so I can accept the results ahead of time.

Is it actually effective though? Did Massan actually gain popularity or viewers or anything for being high up on the list?

As I was typing the above sentences, which I have strike out, I realized that it was actually effective. He's not a particularly notable player yet was on Cloud9 with heavy hitters like Kolento and StrifeCro, probably just for his streaming.
Good to know!

C'thun Warrior?
I think a lot of people are struggling trying to find new things in this game to win with, but a lot of old decks are still successful right now. The only deck I think people should give up on is Control Priest unless you have the 2-mana inverse heal card.

Also, while I was initially skeptical about Tomb Spider, I have come to really like the card and its versatility. Being able to pick between Tundra Rhino, Giant Sand Worm, and Savannah Highmane is a delightful moment. Its stats aren't bad as long as you aren't playing on a curve.

I think Control Priest still has some value in the meta as a counter to N'Zoth decks. Nothing to resurrect if it's all been Entombed...

why people play servant of yogg, I'm yet to see it working positively even once, it tends to kill or freeze itself lol.

I had a guy drop 2 of them in an Arena match yesterday. The first one Fireballed his face and the second one cast Shatter when there were no frozen minions. The Servants themselves did next to nothing since I removed the first one with an Eviscerate and he was dead immediately after dropping the second. That Fireball helped me set up lethal 1 turn earlier than I was otherwise capable.

fertygo

Also, while I was initially skeptical about Tomb Spider, I have come to really like the card and its versatility. Being able to pick between Tundra Rhino, Giant Sand Worm, and Savannah Highmane is a delightful moment. Its stats aren't bad as long as you aren't playing on a curve.

I think Control Priest still has some value in the meta as a counter to N'Zoth decks. Nothing to resurrect if it's all been Entombed...

Control Priest have hard time controlling N'zoth Pally, they have no easy way to wipe N'zoth Board

their best hope is saving Doomsayer + Death to Sylvanas that summoned lol

I see Strifecro saving the combo but he using Reno mage tho, its sick

Control Priest have hard time controlling N'zoth Pally, they have no easy way to wipe N'zoth Board

their best hope is saving Doomsayer + Death to Sylvanas that summoned lol

I see Strifecro saving the combo but he using Reno mage tho, its sick
I disagree - this is one of the deck's best matchups if you run a Mind Control.

Ragnaros Lightlord - Shadow Word: Death
Sylvannas - Entomb
Tirion - Mind Control
Cairn Bloodhoof - Entomb
The 1/1s that become 5/5s - Cabal Shadow Priest
N'Zoth - Shadow Word: Death

You can completely strip him of his deathrattles so N'Zoth does nothing, and the Paladin's clears aren't particularly meaningful against you. N'Zoth Paladin was my best matchup while trying to make Control Priest work.

You don't wipe the N'Zoth board, you prevent it from ever happening.

patchday

I think the RNG is doable because you enter knowing the RNG is such a factor. Like I play Ram Wrangler, and I've never gotten mad at the results. Sometimes I get a 1/1 parrot, and sometimes I get King Crush. I play the card knowing that range of possibilities, so I can accept the results ahead of time.

good post :)

I had a guy drop 2 of them in an Arena match yesterday. The first one Fireballed his face and the second one cast Shatter when there were no frozen minions. The Servants themselves did next to nothing since I removed the first one with an Eviscerate and he was dead immediately after dropping the second. That Fireball helped me set up lethal 1 turn earlier than I was otherwise capable.

my favourite was one naturalizing itself since it was played on an empty board. 5 mana your opponent draws 2 cards, seems playable.

Levi

Banned
C'thun Warrior?

Yes! I'm actually playtesting Sjow's list right now, and it's performing a bit better vs midrange than my own, homebrewed list was.

Druid isn't great right now. Druid performed very poorly in that standard MSI tournament, which of course isn't the same as the ladder meta but still pretty telling.

I don't think Shaman is going anywhere, nor Zoo. Quick games and a low dust requirement will keep those archetypes strong for a while. If Warrior does become popular, that'll drive out freeze mage but will bring back Priest, which is still able to neutralize all the big Warrior threats.

I'd put Druid, Hunter and Priest at the bottom of the ladder but that isn't to say there aren't strong decks that can get a positive win rate in each of those classes. Hunter is probably the worst, though. The lack of draw, the lack of heal, and the hero power makes it a sub-par midrange or control deck, and face hunter is nowhere near as efficient as the pure aggro Shaman.

embalm

I kept playing N'Zoth Rogue last night. I really like this deck. I didn't get to play very much but Rank 12 this early in the season is pretty good. My stats last night were 5-2.

I made a few adjustments.

I dropped Van Cleef. He is too slow and doesn't get big enough to win games.
I dropped Earthen Ring Farseer. I don't need 3 healing or a 3 drop.

I added Shadowcaster. It almost doesn't matter what you make a copy off. So many cards in the deck have death rattle value or battlecry value that you pretty much gain 2 cards with her.

I added Cult Apothecary, but will probably remove it for another Shadowcaster. Sometimes you need a big heal to grind out a win. The card was valuable in one game, but usually ends up as a 4/4 heal 4, just a more expensive Earthen Ring Farseer.

Infested Tauren is a card that might get taken out. The taunt is nice especially when summoned with N'Zoth, but I'm only playing it because it is a death rattle taunt, which stops most lethals on a N'Zoth turn. Having a Taunt with N'Zoth has won games.

2x Backstab
2x Eviscerate
2x Sap
1x Bloodmage
2x Loot Hoarder
2x Undercity Huckster
2x Fan of Knives
2x Shadow Strike
2x SI:7
2x Unearthed Raptor
2x Infested Tauren
2x Tomb Raider
2x Azure Drake
1x Cult Apothecary
1x Shadow Caster
1x Cairne
1x Sylvanus
1x N'Zoth

embalm

Yes! I'm actually playtesting Sjow's list right now, and it's performing a bit better vs midrange than my own, homebrewed list was.

Druid isn't great right now. Druid performed very poorly in that standard MSI tournament, which of course isn't the same as the ladder meta but still pretty telling.

I don't think Shaman is going anywhere, nor Zoo. Quick games and a low dust requirement will keep those archetypes strong for a while. If Warrior does become popular, that'll drive out freeze mage but will bring back Priest, which is still able to neutralize all the big Warrior threats.

I'd put Druid, Hunter and Priest at the bottom of the ladder but that isn't to say there aren't strong decks that can get a positive win rate in each of those classes. Hunter is probably the worst, though. The lack of draw, the lack of heal, and the hero power makes it a sub-par midrange or control deck, and face hunter is nowhere near as efficient as the pure aggro Shaman.
I'm pretty convinced that druid has a good mid-range tempo deck. I had some good success with a tempo beast druid when the expansion dropped.

Everyone is so caught up on the combo being gone that some of Druids big advantages are being over looked. Savage Roar is still one of the best finishers in the entire game. Any minions left on the board in a mid-range deck can lock away a game. Mulch is a good tempo removal for a class with few options. In some cases it's better than Sap and in some cases it's worse, but it will almost always offer up a way to gain tempo. They still have some of the best class cards ever printed with Innervate, Swipe, and Druid of the Fang. The Beast synergy is pretty good in a mid-range deck. The late game options are incredible for ramp decks. They got a great 4 drop legendary that fits in many types of decks.

The reason C'Thun Druid was popular when the expansion came out is because Druid's class cards are still great and can fit many types of decks. So the easy to build Druid C'Thun probably had some easy wins, until people knew to play around C'thun.

Never count that class out. The standard meta is only starting to shape out.

Dahbomb

Someone explain to me how is it fair that a class has a fucking 3 drop that can summon a 3/2 and a possible 3/4 and a fucking 7/7 for a 4 drop.

Shit is clown shoes.
Of course it's not fair and neither is a turn 4 play that can summon a 7 drop with Master of Evolution and Nerubian Prophet. Or a sub 4 mana 5/5 Taunt.

And neither is Rockbiter plus Doomhammer.

Levi

Banned
I'm pretty convinced that druid has a good mid-range tempo deck. I had some good success with a tempo beast druid when the expansion dropped.

I have a positive win rate with Druid since Old Gods, but I think as the meta stabilizes they've gotten a lot worse. The lack of hard removal really hurts. What does a Druid do against a turn 4 Flamewreathed Faceless? What does a Druid do against a midrange Shaman who can continually refill their board each turn?

ZealousD

Nah guys it's cool. We got like, two new beasts. That makes this Brawl so much more fun and interactive.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nah guys it's cool. We got like, two new beasts. That makes this Brawl so much more fun and interactive.

They added 8. 5 of Hunter's 9 new minions were Beasts. In fact, only Forlorn Stalker has no Beast Synergy, all 3 spells create Beasts.

ZealousD

They added 8. 5 of Hunter's 9 new minions were Beasts. In fact, only Forlorn Stalker has no Beast Synergy, all 3 spells create Beasts.

Exaggeration for comedic effect. Blizzard does this Brawl every single expansion, as if somehow it is worth revisiting just because there are new beasts in the pool. Same with the Unstable Portal brawl.

Maybe they'll start repeating the Ravel Idol brawl too, blech.

Top Bottom