• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Levi

Banned
Due to all the data-mining of the patch we know there are some really interesting brawls in the future. Presumably they aren't ready for prime-time or Blizzard is in "take 'er easy mode" after the expansion and doesn't want to push something they may have to then fix.

ViviOggi

Webspinner brawl
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

I'm thinking about crafting a Fandral Staghelm. He seems like he'd be really fun, but I don't really play Druid all that much and I only have enough dust for one more legendary since I've already crafted several and a few epics and rare's.

For anyone that has used him, how is he? I imagine it might be hard to keep him alive. Goddamn I miss Clockwork Gnome so much. That card was almost auto include in every deck I made. Just having that chance at stealth always felt worth it.

Oh and I haven't seen the Mage legendary played yet, but I'm thinking about crafting that since I play Mage.

embalm

I have a positive win rate with Druid since Old Gods, but I think as the meta stabilizes they've gotten a lot worse. The lack of hard removal really hurts. What does a Druid do against a turn 4 Flamewreathed Faceless? What does a Druid do against a midrange Shaman who can continually refill their board each turn?
A Druid Tempo deck should be looking at Mulch for the Flamewreathed Faceless. A 3 cost removal for a 4 cost overload 2 target is a pretty big tempo gain. The extra card for shaman shouldn't be a big deal because it probably won't be as good as the Flamewreathed Faceless. This is a good example where Mulch is actually better than Sap.

Druid has about the same amount of draw as Shaman, so if they are filling the board you should be matching them minion for minion/removal. A mid-range deck that tries to use totems to stall is the kind of deck that dies to a Savage Roar combo. The cards they have that are reduced in cost are later game tempo plays.

The writing was on the wall for shaman to be good. It had the top aggro deck in the game and that deck wasn't losing many cards. It also has a lot of cards that have more obvious synergy. So building an effective deck is easier.
Other decks like a Tempo druid or Control Priest take more time to refine. They are new deck archtypes or twists on old ones that have lost a large amount of cards in Standard.

I don't expect a tempo druid meta tonight. I do expect it to be a competitive deck in the future.

embalm

I'm thinking about crafting a Fandral Staghelm. He seems like he'd be really fun, but I don't really play Druid all that much and I only have enough dust for one more legendary since I've already crafted several and a few epics and rare's.

For anyone that has used him, how is he? I imagine it might be hard to keep him alive. Goddamn I miss Clockwork Gnome so much. That card was almost auto include in every deck I made. Just having that chance at stealth always felt worth it.

Oh and I haven't seen the Mage legendary played yet, but I'm thinking about crafting that since I play Mage.
Fandral will be a good card in most Druid decks. He has good stats to just drop on turn 4 and can be apart of some crazy combos if you draw him in the late game.

The mage legendary is for a very specific type of mage deck. If you like slow, grindy, control decks then you can probably find a place for him. It most likely won't work in aggro or tempo mage decks.

Fandral will be a good card in most Druid decks. He has good stats to just drop on turn 4 and can be apart of some crazy combos if you draw him in the late game.

The mage legendary is for a very specific type of mage deck. If you like slow, grindy, control decks then you can probably find a place for him. It most likely won't work in aggro or tempo mage decks.
Thanks. I've got some thinking to do.

I feel like that mage legendary will work well in a Reno deck

Levi

Banned
I don't expect a tempo druid meta tonight. I do expect it to be a competitive deck in the future.

I think it'll be competitive... I don't think it'll be top tier. I hope I'm wrong, Druid was the first class that clicked with me and my only golden hero portrait.

Levi

Banned
Just opened malkorok , is it considered a good legendary?

It's worth keeping. Most of the time you'll get a good result from the weapon and he puts a body on the board. A lot of the tempo warrior lists run him and even a few of the control lists will use him instead of Arcanite for a mid game weapon.

Epix

But if Doomsayer dies without removal, it's just delay. No board is cleared. I'd rather use a Frostbolt to kill Trogg than Doomsayer.

I look through decks on hearthpwn and hearthstonetopdecks (why isn't this website talked about more?). Then I pick one and try to build it. Then I play it. Then I alter it so I like it.

Thanks. Took at look at Hearthpwn last night with the Innkeeper addon. All the decks were 2k dust and up. Lol, might as well be a million dust. Not sure if the idea here is to pick a deck, spend a month compiling dust, just to find that the deck sucks.

Am I missing something?

Catvoca

Banned
I just had one of the most fun arena runs I've had in ages, one that went from 0-2 to 9-3. The deck I was playing was below average for sure, and every game felt like a proper battle to win, with none of my opponents having totally insane decks that are no fun to play against, which is a rarity for me!

Aylinato

Probably not, but twitch didn't tell him the duration of this ban and c9 kicked him so there is hope.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/40edl7/massans_viewbot_evidence/
Massan also tried to get Amaz banned for viewbotting using his viewbots on Amaz's stream, cheated at Pinnacle tournament by fake disconnecting at the start of the games and tried to sell his tournament spot to other player so he would play instead of Massan. People also think that he let his mod "Inormous" impersonate Massan on his stream by using voice changer and streaming without cam.
tl;dr: Massan is a piece of shit.

Are you that one streamer who streams wow and hearthstone and gets banned for threatening people?

Thanks. Took at look at Hearthpwn last night with the Innkeeper addon. All the decks were 2k dust and up. Lol, might as well be a million dust. Not sure if the idea here is to pick a deck, spend a month compiling dust, just to find that the deck sucks.

Am I missing something?
Your choices are either to:
1) Pay money to get the cards you need.
2) Be patient and compile your deck through efficient gold expenditures.

manhack

Am I missing something?

Your choices are either to:
1) Pay money to get the cards you need.
2) Be patient and compile your deck through efficient gold expenditures.

Earn gold through dailies and disenchant cards you don't need. Focus on 1 or 2 good decks. You don't need to waste anything because the good decks like zoo, patron, aggro shaman/bloodlust shaman are not going anywhere and will be good for a long time.

My free to play account has 4-5 Legend viable decks already made for Old Gods. It was all accumulated through finishing daily quests once a week or so. Playing on your main account you can also get bonus gold through achievements.

Zoo, Patron, Flood Paladin, shaman and tempo mage are all on my F2P account. I've also bought parts of Naxx, BRM and LoE.

Earn gold through dailies and disenchant cards you don't need. Focus on 1 or 2 good decks. You don't need to waste anything because the good decks like zoo, patron, aggro shaman/bloodlust shaman are not going anywhere and will be good for a long time.

My free to play account has 4-5 Legend viable decks already made for Old Gods. It was all accumulated through finishing daily quests once a week or so. Playing on your main account you can also get bonus gold through achievements.

Zoo, Patron, Flood Paladin, shaman and tempo mage are all on my F2P account. I've also bought parts of Naxx, BRM and LoE.
Yeah, but the grind is long and painful until you get those cards. I'm sure you remember. How many matches did you fight as Zoo vs. Zoo just to have someone drop Dr. Boom to win the game where you otherwise would have won?

dralla

Am I missing something?

You're gonna have to get lucky opening packs and get a golden legendary. This will give you enough dust to start a decent deck and you build from there. That's how I started anyways. Gold Tinkmaster Overspark, dusted it and made a decent Preist deck. Did daily's to get gold, open more packs, dust what you don't want, and so on. I've spent about 50 bucks on the game in total and have a couple pretty good decks. The expansions are probably better as far as spending money goes because you know exactly what you're getting and you're guaranteed to some legendaries which you can dust if you want.

Pooya

It depends on luck too. The f2p server I started later is now almost ahead of my much older main account I spent money on, because I got some really nice packs on there when my main has been mostly awful. Opening cards like Tirion, Sylvanas or Ragnaros and the like helps you advance a lot. I had to craft all of that on my main. You see some people, their first pack has Antonidas. that's a huge get, you can build top mage decks from the start for example compared with someone else that has to play for 2 months to be able to craft it.

Tarazet

You're gonna have to get lucky opening packs and get a golden legendary.

I've been playing since beta and only opened one.. Grommash Hellscream when the game was still in beta. I kept him until I got a regular one almost two years later, blew up the golden one and crafted Dr. Boom. No regrets. But fuck, I could use another couple golden legendaries.

dralla

I've been playing since beta and only opened one.. Grommash Hellscream when the game was still in beta. I kept him until I got a regular one almost two years later, blew up the golden one and crafted Dr. Boom. No regrets. But fuck, I could use another couple golden legendaries.

Speaking of Boom, all the Nax and GvG cards, they should give you the full dust amount back when you disenchant them now. It's a real bummer putting so much dust into those cards only to have them be worthless now and have to earn all that dust over again. I dusted Boom the other day for a measly 400 dust. Felt bad, man

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Am I missing something?

Some people have spent enough time and money that 2k dust is nothing. I wipe my ass with 2k dust these days.

I have a video in the OP where I give some tips for managing your gold and dust. It's a bit out of date right now but I will probably be recording a new one in the not too distant future.

Tarazet

Speaking of Boom, all the Nax and GvG cards, they should give you the full dust amount back when you disenchant them now. It's a real bummer putting so much dust into those cards only to have them be worthless now and have to earn all that dust over again. I dusted Boom the other day for a measly 400 dust. Felt bad, man

I kept him for playing in constructed Tavern Brawls and for playing Patron Warrior in Wild, because before we know it that deck will only exist in any form in Wild and Boom is the MVP.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

They weren't ever going to give you full dust for legacy cards. Otherwise you could have dusted your whole GvG collection to get a full Old Gods collection without opening a single pack. Blizzard still needs to make money.

Catvoca

Banned

I've been playing since launch and I've only opened one as well, a golden Gormak. I still have it since it's pretty good in zoo.

Levi

Banned
I've opened one classic golden legendary (Antonidas) and 3 GVG golden legendaries (Mimiron, Gazlowe and Hemet). I've crafted Cenarius, Boom, Malkorok, Justicar and Fandral golden.

Epix

Some people have spent enough time and money that 2k dust is nothing. I wipe my ass with 2k dust these days.

I have a video in the OP where I give some tips for managing your gold and dust. It's a bit out of date right now but I will probably be recording a new one in the not too distant future.

Do you wipe your ass with 2k dust because you spend real money? My goal is to enjoy the game in a meaningful way without a)Spending $ out my ass and b)Spending all of my free time grinding.

End btw - I'm extremely unlucky when it comes to opening digital treasure boxes of any kind.

Am I missing something?

Best thing IMO is to find a deck that has many of the cards you already have. If you don't have much than Zoolock and most Shaman decks lack a lot of legendaries and should be fairly easy to make a viable deck. Especially Zoolock. Then refine it more and more as you get more gold and hopefully better cards from packs and dusting.

Also learn to love brawls and use it for your dailies. Most Brawls allow you to pick a class making it very flexible for dailies. there are only two days of the week Brawl does not fall on so technically you can use Brawl or all of your dailies to maximize gold.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I can go ahead and preemptively put myself on Blast about Fandral Staghelm. I was totally wrong about him. Thought he was being way overrated, but nope, he's pretty damn good.

Just got worked by a Frandral/Wrath/Coin/Druid of the Claw play in the late game. Feelsbadman. The dude puts in a lot of work even if you just throw him out on 4 mana. Guess I'm gonna have to craft him now.

Do you wipe your ass with 2k dust because you spend real money? My goal is to enjoy the game in a meaningful way without a)Spending $ out my ass and b)Spending all of my free time grinding.

Honestly, you'll probably have to do one of these. It snowballs once you have a decent collection though. It gets much easier to hoard gold and dust when there's nothing you really need.

I've gotten gold Tirion, Gahzrilla, Gallywix, Flame Leviathan and Chillmaw. All dusted except for Chillmaw, she'll probably get the axe when TGT rotates out. Man, I miss that Tirion, but I had a regular one and I was enamoured with Control Warrior at the time so I crafted my Grom from that dust.

embalm

End btw - I'm extremely unlucky when it comes to opening digital treasure boxes of any kind.
If you want to play lots of different decks right away then you have 2 options.
  1. Prepare ahead of time. Save up your gold and dust in preparation for the the expansion. You can do this by getting really good at arena or just completing your daily quests.
  2. Buy packs with real money.
If you do not want to or can't do those things then you have should pick a class you don't like and disenchant the cards you don't think you'll ever use. You can accumulate lots of dust this way. Create the most powerful or fun neutral minions/cards and use them as substitutes in the decks you want to play.

Eventually you will be able to wipe with dust also!

squidyj

I wipe my ass with 2k dust right now because I've been playing since beta and I said #fuckwild and dusted all my wild cards.

Dahbomb

Dr Balanced will never be disenchanted from my collection. Card has won me too many games for that to happen.

Unless they nerf him for whatever reason. But that will never happen, he will remain forever young... and strong.

Ladekabel

Did the brawl. Won the first one and got my pack. It had a golden Knife Juggler. That's 800 dust I'll gladly take. Close to crafting another legendary. Got to decide between Lightlord, Ysera, Black Knight, Harrison Jones or Alextrasza though it's mostly a toss-up between the first two.

Top Bottom