• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Current Face Hunter is about as good as a face deck should be.

The fact that Shaman, a class whose hero power does not even aid in face damage, is able to out face a Hunter, a class whose hero power is built specifically for face damage, tells us that there's something severely wrong with Shaman at the moment.

Yeah but all of those shaman minions are 2 health and there are so many cards that remove 2 health. And each tap cost 2 mana.

Dahbomb

Yeah but all of those shaman minions are 2 health and there are so many cards that remove 2 health. And each tap cost 2 mana.
Are you talking about the totems here? The totems don't help you a lot in face damage unless you roll the Spell damage one... the Hunter hero power is far superior for face damage, so much so that Aggro Shamans run Sir Finley just to get the Hunter hero power (or the Druid one if Hunter isn't available).

Like if Shaman could just choose to have the Hunter hero power at the start imagine how broken that would be.

The actual Shaman minions are usually 3 or more HP. Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem, Faceless, Master of Evolution, Fire Elemental, Flametongue Totem, Feral Spirits, Thing of the Deep etc. And then they play some divine shield minions like Argent Squire and Argent Horserider.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just got a Grosteque Dragonhawk off of Ram Wrangler. Buffed it with Houndmaster next turn.

Told you guys you'd be pissed when that thing came off Ram Wrangler, lol

Nearly every Shaman minion has 3+ health. What do you mean?

Are you talking about the totems here? The totems don't help you a lot in face damage unless you roll the Spell damage one... the Hunter hero power is far superior for face damage, so much so that Aggro Shamans run Sir Finley just to get the Hunter hero power (or the Druid one if Hunter isn't available).

Like if Shaman could just choose to have the Hunter hero power at the start imagine how broken that would be.

Yea sorry meant the totems, and yea I could see that sir Finley strategy being effective.

I enjoy playing mid range shaman too much to jump to aggro. The most aggro thing I run is bloodlust. But that is for a late game finisher.

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure Sin Finley is a staple in Aggro Shaman decks.

It's actually staple in most non conventional aggro decks too like Aggro Warrior.

Mulgrok

In a top deck war against a warrior. I have lethal next turn, until my opponent plays c'thun it deals exact damage to kill all of my minions without hitting my face once. I draw deadly shot to kill c'thun, but then draw dead the next 5 turns after that, and lose.

The RNG never left.

Auctioneer is insane, it was tempo rogue so opponent was already out of option after Forbidden Healing myself for 20 but they cycled through like 15 cards in 2 turn and drew themselves to death.

Such bullshit draws against aggro today either I draw all my high curve spells or zero healing, died turn 6 with 6/6/8/8 cards in hand and then died by 1 health from a topdeck just now. Am 1-5 for the night. My draws are so bad I just died to aggro from C'Thun priest...

Auctioneer is insane, it was tempo rogue so opponent was already out of option after Forbidden Healing myself for 20 but they cycled through like 15 cards in 2 turn and drew themselves to death.

Such bullshit draws against aggro today either I draw all my high curve spells or zero healing, died turn 6 with 6/6/8/8 cards in hand and then died by 1 health from a topdeck just now. Am 1-3 for the night.

Any time I see auctioneer dropped I'm like "welp, better go make a sandwich cause this turn is gonna be 10 minutes long" :p

Dahbomb

Ah yes... the players getting re-introduced to Rogue Auctioneer shenanigans.

Imagine that non sense with 5 mana Auctioneer, 1 mana Shiv, superior Backstab and superior Conceal.

squidyj

Current Face Hunter is about as good as a face deck should be.

The fact that Shaman, a class whose hero power does not even aid in face damage, is able to out face a Hunter, a class whose hero power is built specifically for face damage, tells us that there's something severely wrong with Shaman at the moment.

really? REALLY?

Dahbomb

Isn't it just 2/9?

Edit: Oh right, but 3 choices, so higher than that.
It's out of 8 since you can't get your current one again.

Plus each time you get a hero power, you can't get that same hero power again.

So it's not like you can be offered 3 Armor up options, you will always get 3 unique options.

I actually looked it up and the chance to get either Druid or Hunter hero power is 64%.

There's an 82%+ chance to get a ping ability if your class doesn't already have one.

Dahbomb

really? REALLY?
Nerfed Knife Juggler means less damage to face, nerfed Arcane Golem so no 4 damage out of no where, no 2 attack Leper Gnome that is less face damage at the start and no more 2 mana Owls to get around taunts.

And the deck still isn't bad. It's just that a better face deck is available for people to use which pushes this deck out of the meta.

It's out of 8 since you can't get your current one again.

Plus each time you get a hero power, you can't get that same hero power again.

So it's not like you can be offered 3 Armor up options, you will always get 3 unique options.

I actually looked it up and the chance to get either Druid or Hunter hero power is 64%.

There's an 82%+ chance to get a ping ability if your class doesn't already have one.
Damn, so I'm just horribly unlucky that I got Paladin/Rogue/Priest three times in a row. :-/

Dahbomb

Damn, so I'm just horribly unlucky that I got Paladin/Rogue/Priest three times in a row. :-/
For Aggro Shaman? Rogue one is pretty solid, it's 1 extra damage.

Worst options for Aggro Shaman are Priest Heal and Armor up but thankfully you never have to pick them. So really the worst option is the Paladin hero power (when you get the worst possible option of Paladin/Priest/Warrior) and it's still one extra body they have to worry about that can be buffed by Flametongue.

For Aggro Shaman? Rogue one is pretty solid, it's 1 extra damage.

Worst options for Aggro Shaman are Priest Heal and Armor up but thankfully you never have to pick them. So really the worst option is the Paladin hero power (when you get the worst possible option of Paladin/Priest/Warrior) and it's still one extra body they have to worry about that can be buffed by Flametongue.
The problem with the Rogue power is that it overlaps with Doomhammer.

Finally got a chance to use a Yogg-Saron deck and holy shit was it fun once I finally got him out. Used C'thun today too...zzzzzz.....but it was cool to see him drop and do 20 points of damage. That shit was nuts.

Ashodin

Yogg-Saron is the shit

It's either a win-more card

or a come from behind card

or a lose-more card

how could you not love it

How has the competitive community gone on for so long while not pushing Blizzard to fix Coin so it isn't a spell? It's by far the dumbest thing in this game.

Dahbomb

How has the competitive community gone on for so long while not pushing Blizzard to fix Coin so it isn't a spell? It's by far the dumbest thing in this game.
Player going first has a slight advantage, coin being a spell helps out some classes even up the odds a bit.

That's why the competitive community doesn't care much for it. However, because of the combo aspect provided by the coin Rogue is quite a bit better going 2nd vs going first.

Yogg-Saron is the shit

It's either a win-more card

or a come from behind card

or a lose-more card

how could you not love it
It's just so amazing to see it in action. No regrets whatsoever about crafting it.
Honestly I like it, and have no issues with it. I play Mage though, so yeah.

Granted there's lots of times when it's worked against me, especially when my Counterspell gets fucked.

Is Shaman legitimately a top tier arena class now? All the new cards are great arena cards except primal fusion, and flamewreathed is a common that's even harder to deal with than in constructed.

Is Shaman legitimately a top tier arena class now? All the new cards are great arena cards except primal fusion, and flamewreathed is a common that's even harder to deal with than in constructed.
I've only played as Shaman once in arena and generally avoided him like the plague. Took him for a spin today since I don't like Priest in arena and I get tired of Paladin.

Went 7-3. Could've just been luck, I dunno.

Owzers

the best part is when you choose Shaman and don't get a flamewreathed.

Seriously, fuck Priest.

Gets Fire Elemental from Shifting Shade. Gets Tirion from Forbidden Shaping. Gets Sylvanas from Museum Curator.

Just fuck that class. Wish they would just completely rework it.

"Well we can't give Priest good minions, so let's make sure they can steal them and create them out of thin air. That's good design."

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

There are still very few classes and decks that actually gain an advantage by going second. The coin being a spell is one of the few things that actually makes going second relatively balanced.

Well despite my Priest rage, C'Thun Shaman seems to be working pretty well. Fits in nicely to a class that's pretty much always lacked big late game minions with powerful effects.

bjaelke

I think it's obvious that there should be two kinds of coin.

Maybe a "Rusty Coin" and a "Magic Coin".

184px-Gallywix's_Coin%2812327%29_Gold.png

Good to know.

No no, let's not make the game more stupid than it already is.
Less stupid is some particular decks getting benefits others don't?

There are still very few classes and decks that actually gain an advantage by going second. The coin being a spell is one of the few things that actually makes going second relatively balanced.
There's nothing balanced about a turn 3 Flamewaker, coin, Arcane Blast/Missiles to clear the board and do significant face damage.

fertygo

Well despite my Priest rage, C'Thun Shaman seems to be working pretty well. Fits in nicely to a class that's pretty much always lacked big late game minions with powerful effects.

What your list? really on verge crafting Twin Emp here, but I already blew some of dust to Shaman stuff so I must being careful.

Tarazet

Player going first has a slight advantage, coin being a spell helps out some classes even up the odds a bit.

That's why the competitive community doesn't care much for it. However, because of the combo aspect provided by the coin Rogue is quite a bit better going 2nd vs going first.

That's to some extent the case for the fast lists, though there are ways to creatively mulligan around it. For the Miracle decks, you've got Cutpurse and Tomb Pillager now, which are stronger when you have the initiative of always playing on curve first. Neither of those existed when the deck ran rampant in early Hearthstone.

Don't know how I forgot about that considering I use that bastard often
Good to know.

Less stupid is some particular decks getting benefits others don't?

There's nothing balanced about a turn 3 Flamewaker, coin, Arcane Blast/Missiles to clear the board and do significant face damage.
That's just kind of how the game works....

Some decks get shit that others don't.

And that just sounds like an efficient (and possibly lucky) board clear. Other classes can clear the board on turn 3 as well

Don't know how I forgot about that considering I use that bastard often

That's just kind of how the game works....

Some decks get shit that others don't.

And that just sounds like an efficient (and possibly lucky) board clear. Other classes can clear the board on turn 3 as well
Name another way to get a 2/4 on the board and do 7 board damage on turn 3.

Name another way to get a 2/4 on the board and do 7 board damage on turn 3.
Haha I just said clear the board. And there is absolutely NO guarantee that Flamewaker is going to get you those kills on that turn. I've made that play many times and have had it fuck me over later in the game. I usually only make that play if I'm desperate or already significantly ahead...which is also a bit harder since I don't have Mad Scientist available in Standard.

Top Bottom