• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Here's a picture:
1hQ9OV2.png

Thats actually a really interesting card. I'm not sure if it would be good, but thats one thing to try and create a deck around. Definitely encourages the old style of Murloc Paladin that flooded the board.

Not bad at all. Definitely moves away from anyfin deck though.

But I am guessing justicar trueheart reverts it back to normal recruits, and this probably turns justicar'd hero power to just 1 murloc.

The skills aren't even, though. Hunter is weak to Priest and Warrior. What is Mage weak to? Paladin is weak to Rogue, but Warrior is only strong vs. Hunter.

Mage is weak to hunter like rogue is. Hunter breaks even with warrior, so-so with priest. Priest can heal minions but doesn't heal more than hunter hero power.

Think of it this way... if hunter and warrior are hero powering every turn, the game is going to be decided by board + spell cards. Hunter just happens to be in a pretty weak spot atm, but when midrange hunter was strong, they were very favored vs hunters.

It's not really clear cut cause looking at them in a vacuum only provides so much information, but these small strengths and weaknesses influence how matches play out, sometimes very heavily like paladin vs warrior.

Dahbomb

Mage is weak to Priest in Arena. Priest can constantly heal minions out of ping range.

Here's a picture:
1hQ9OV2.png

Thats actually a really interesting card. I'm not sure if it would be good, but thats one thing to try and create a deck around. Definitely encourages the old style of Murloc Paladin that flooded the board.
Shaman am cry...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Warleader face deck

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking, this may make a Murloc face deck a lot stronger. While the current AnyFin is its own beast, its really a control deck, and is a lot weaker in Standard with Murkeye being gone.

Now I wonder what that really over costed Murloc is going to do, the 6 mana 2/3 showing the in the trailer. Maybe he could place some peppermint buff on your hero that buffs Murlocs the rest of the game, like the Fate Brawl.

That is still pretty useful for Shaman.

To play it, you just need to keep it alive until turn 6 when you play sylvanas. Then clear the rest of the board, steal it and bounce it back with a panda.

Two turns later when your mana crystals unlock again you can play it and boom, all the murlocs you need.

I'm glad they are finally giving the class some more practical options.

Dahbomb

This is the definition of anti-synergy. At least with the current lists.
It's only anti synergy with Anyfin which doesn't do much for an actual aggressive Murloc deck because games are decided for that deck by that time.

This card is insane for an aggressive Murloc Paladin deck (I would go as far as to say that it's a staple). That card is a solid 1 drop that is also a Murloc on top of buffing your hero power. A 1/1 Murloc is much better than a 1/1 Silverhand.

Apathy

Murkeye is out of standard right? Anyfin takes a big hit from that from bust, so no idea if it survives without it. This could be a replacement I guess.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is the definition of anti-synergy. At least with the current lists.

Obviously you don't put it in the current lists, then. The current lists probably weren't even intended which is why Blizzard decided to ban Ole Murk Eye.

You put this in the aggressive lists. I mean this card is basically an auto-include in any aggressive paladin murloc deck. It's a solid 1/3 body for 1 mana plus your hero power now synergizes with all of the other murloc synergy cards you have, like Tidecaller, Warleader, Grimscale Oracle, and Coldlight Seer.

Dahbomb

Murkeye is out of standard right? Anyfin takes a big hit from that from bust, so no idea if it survives without it. This could be a replacement I guess.
No Anyfin is a combo deck enabler, it's not as good in a deck that uses that card. You will just get back a bunch of 1/1s. You can still use one Anyfin I guess but even that is iffy to me.

There are two Murloc Paladin decks essentially. One is a slower control/combo oriented deck and the other is a very fast and aggressive Murloc deck. Anyfin and this card are on opposite ends of the spectrum for Paladin.

Pooya

That's pretty good, shaman has the buff spell though lol.

But I am guessing justicar trueheart reverts it back to normal recruits, and this probably turns justicar'd hero power to just 1 murloc.

Justicar won't do anything, it only works on starting hero powers. You just get 6/3 for 6, it doesn't even refresh your hero power.

ZealousD

No Anyfin is a combo deck enabler, it's not as good in a deck that uses that card. You will just get back a bunch of 1/1s. You can still use one Anyfin I guess but even that is iffy to me.

There are two Murloc Paladin decks essentially. One is a slower control/combo oriented deck and the other is a very fast and aggressive Murloc deck. Anyfin and this card are on opposite ends of the spectrum for Paladin.

I think you can still run a one-of on Anyfin in an aggressive list. You won't always just summon 1/1's. It's another option to replenish your board aside from divine favor.

Dahbomb

I just saw that April fool's patch note.

This one got me good:

"We are proud to introduce the new Shaman hero, Thrall, available in HD for a limited time. Players wishing to obtain this new Hero Portrait can purchase it in the shop for a small donation of $9.99."

Ayyy lmao!!!!

I can't see an aggro deck running a 10 mana card like anyfin. It seems like 9/10 matches the card does nothing and 9/10 of the matches you play it in where it has an impact, its still pretty mediocre.

I just saw that April fool's patch note.

This one got me good:

"We are proud to introduce the new Shaman hero, Thrall, available in HD for a limited time. Players wishing to obtain this new Hero Portrait can purchase it in the shop for a small donation of $9.99."

Ayyy lmao!!!!

I'll buy that. Thrall, definitive edition (console throwback). I'll have to buy a 4k monitor first.

ZealousD

I can't see an aggro deck running a 10 mana card like anyfin. It seems like 9/10 matches the card does nothing and 9/10 of the matches you play it in where it has an impact, its still pretty mediocre.

it gives you some semblance of hope if your opponent has handled your previous dumps fairly well. You can actually keep going with an aggressive murloc paladin longer than you can with many other face decks because cards like Divine Favor and Anyfin give you options even if you run out of gas. I don't think you would double-up on it but it really isn't so bad in an aggressive list. It's just not as busted as it is in a combo list.

Pooya

So paladin has...

Ragnaros Lightlord
Steward of Darkshire
This murloc

Forbidden healing
SAD

4 more cards to go, from past sets one of them should be a weapon and probably one more spell. The minions are commons and from past sets those the real game changer paladin cards lol. They're saving them.

Maximo

God I remember when Paladin used to be one of the worst classes, another expansion another insane set of Cards for paladin.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So paladin has...

Ragnaros Lightlord
Steward of Darkshire
This murloc

Forbidden healing
SAD

4 more cards to go, from past sets one of them should be a weapon and probably one more spell. The minions are commons and from past sets those the real game changer paladin cards lol. They're saving them.
Yeah, I think thats about right. My guess is a Rare Weapon, a Rare Minion, a Common spell, common minion (Come on Light Rager!), and likely a common secret.

Apathy

I hate freeze mage. Such a bullshit deck. No matter how much better I play then them, nope, Alex comes down and I lose cause of that fucking card.

I want alex nefed, I want emp to only affect minions, again, solves every problem with that and any other "spell only" deck

fertygo

I hate freeze mage. Such a bullshit deck. No matter how much better I play then them, nope, Alex comes down and I lose cause of that fucking card.

I want alex nefed, I want emp to only affect minions, again, solves every problem with that and any other "spell only" deck

How you lose to Alex with Priest

Dahbomb

So paladin has...

Ragnaros Lightlord
Steward of Darkshire
This murloc

Forbidden healing
SAD

If Paladin gets a good 2 drop then there will be riots.

One of them might be a Secret too.

Exactly what I thought. Hell, I thought they recently reiterated that Murlocs were a key facet of the Shaman class. Looks like another year of Shaman being ass except for mind numbingly bland aggro decks.

I think the damage/heal minion could be pretty good and something unique about shaman to take advantage of, come no more healbot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

So, what kind of Secret do you think we will see next? The two low hanging fruit that come to mind are a card that gives a minion divine shield when a minion is attacked, and a card that sets a played enemy's attack to 1. Another idea would be something that disrupts combos. Like "After the enemy plays a card, all cards cost (2) more until the end of their turn"

Tarazet

As someone who plays a lot of Warrior, I would love to face off against Freeze or even mostly Tempo Mage (though that list can demolish anything with the right draws). Didn't use to think that way because it sucks being frozen all the time, but that was before I learned how good Armorsmith is when you can abuse it against lists that rely on a limited amount of spell damage.

The decks I hate facing off against are Shaman and Hunter. There doesn't seem to be any way to reliably improve those matchups.

Pooya

They got a 1 and 3 drop. It's only natural to get a 2 drop next. 2/2 murloc divine shield.

turn 1, turn 2, into warleader. Seems like a good paladin curve there.

I think the damage/heal minion could be pretty good and something unique about shaman to take advantage of, come no more healbot.

It's definitely a good card. Nice stats, powerful ability if MtG is anything to go by. We'll just need things to go with it. I guess it's a pretty sweet comeback mechanism with Lightning Storm or even Elemental Destruction, but I don't see myself running anything past Lightning Bolt or Lava Shock in terms of damage spells. Right now at least.

I'm just salty that I haven't been able to reliably play Midrange Shaman since Naxx came out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They got a 1 and 3 drop. It's only natural to get a 2 drop next. 2/2 murloc divine shield.

turn 1, turn 2, into warleader. Seems like a good paladin curve there.

I'm still expecting a 3 mana 5/1 with Divine Shield. Gotta have that Light Rager to pair with the Lightlord.

It's definitely a good card. Nice stats, powerful ability if MtG is anything to go by. We'll just need things to go with it. I guess it's a pretty sweet comeback mechanism with Lightning Storm or even Elemental Destruction, but I don't see myself running anything past Lightning Bolt or Lava Shock in terms of damage spells. Right now at least.

I'm just salty that I haven't been able to reliably play Midrange Shaman since Naxx came out.

I'm with you about midrange shaman. I played a lot of shaman during the naxx days.

Also don't forget forked lightning too. I don't see elemental destruction being a cornerstone of the deck, but lava burst definitely. Maybe forked lightning... maybe. Hopefully they add only 1 more spell with damage on it, and minion only because I don't think we want burn shaman getting more face damage.

ZealousD

I'm still expecting a 3 mana 5/1 with Divine Shield. Gotta have that Light Rager to pair with the Lightlord.

You're not actually expecting a 3 mana 5/1 Divine Shield are you?

Because that would be downright busted.

jgminto

I'd recommend running it in any Auchenai deck, it's a great tool for a lot of Priest's bad match ups. It can push you out of lethal while still leaving mana for removal and it can burst down a Warlock in Jaraxxus mode or before they Reno.

Top Bottom