• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Really? Drake is a fabulous card, but absolutely balanced.

By the usual math it is slightly overpowered, especially for a neutral non-legendary. It would be "fair" if it didn't have spell damage or if the effect was a deathrattle. Without spell damage it is comparable to Gnomish Inventor, which is a fair card. If it was a deathrattle it would be more in line with Thalnos.

georly

He did actually break my guild and my interest in playing WoW.

Honestly not a bad result.

C'thun wasn't that bad, it was a few of the bosses getting to him. The twins were a particular nightmare, iirc. As was that one that did aoe poison stuff or something.

mxgt

Banned
C'thun wasn't that bad, it was a few of the bosses getting to him. The twins were a particular nightmare, iirc. As was that one that did aoe poison stuff or something.

Fucking Huhuran man

I was a Rogue, had to farm full poison resist gear.

georly

Fucking Huhuran man

I was a Rogue, had to farm full poison resist gear.

THAT'S IT. HUHU. Ugh ugh gugh. That was the worst one in the entire raid. Tons of aoe damage and silencing, ugh.

latest

Gimme a huhu card so I can dust it (unless it's really good).

Sheroking

I felt like Naxx had the right level of power, with a few exceptions. GvG isn't really too strong for the most part, it just has a lot of RNG crap. LoE and BRM are solid. It's really TGT that is a piece of crap set, and this set feels more like TGT than everything else so far.

TGT cards are bad specifically against the over-powerful Naxx and GvG cards - not against the base or classic sets. I don't feel like your view on either of those sets is colored by actual experience with the changing meta, as you only started playing recently.

Naxx started the trend of sticky, deathrattle minions that are undercosted for their abilities - nerfing removal and AOE and enabling a two-year long aggro meta. GvG only bolstered the tempo game, and seriously hurt the card variety, by releasing cards like Shredder and Boom - which not only fit into every deck archetype, but are almost unilaterally the best cards at their mana cost in any deck.

Essentially, the cards in GvG were either undercosted or had too many stats - were too sticky and proactive and fit into too many archetypes. RNG is actually not even a top-3 reason that set is broken IMO.

Pretty much everything about AQ40 besides the launch event sounds terrible. Even going through the place in Wrath/Cata was like

"Ugh this place goes on FOREVER"
"Another boss? Are you serious???"
"The enemies RESPAWN?"
"This guy can only be killed with frost damage? What the hell is frost damage?"
"Furthermore what the hell is poison resist?"

mxgt

Banned
Pretty much everything about AQ40 besides the launch event sounds terrible. Even going through the place in Wrath/Cata was like

"The enemies RESPAWN?"

It was great at the time! except fucking Huhuran.

First C'thun kill is my favourite ever raid experience

also that music tho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLJjV3Ewpc

Dahbomb

I felt like Naxx had the right level of power, with a few exceptions. GvG isn't really too strong for the most part, it just has a lot of RNG crap. LoE and BRM are solid. It's really TGT that is a piece of crap set, and this set feels more like TGT than everything else so far.
GvG is far too strong just like Naxx.

BRM and LoE are more the power you would expect, TGT a bit below but still not really that bad... just bad when it has to compete against GvG and Naxx stuff.

The power curve that was increased by GvG and Naxx made the TGT set a lot worse. With those gone, TGT set will look a lot better now.

Honestly speaking it doesn't take a lot of cards to make an expansion increase the curve. GvG had a lot of bad cards that never got use but the cards that were good were nuts.

I see the mage spell in a reno mage deck. Seems fairly good in that sort of situation. The 4/6 isn't bad b/c it guarantees your win/deck condition to be in your hand unless you are screwed by card draw. Idk how I feel about the 10/10 though. I feel like it could be good but I feel like in a control deck there are a bunch of cards you don't want popping out of your deck. I could see it in an astral communion druid deck w/ the 4/6s so who knows

Dahbomb

I see the mage spell in a reno mage deck. Seems fairly good in that sort of situation. The 4/6 isn't bad b/c it guarantees your win/deck condition to be in your hand unless you are screwed by card draw. Idk how I feel about the 10/10 though. I feel like it could be good but I feel like in a control deck there are a bunch of cards you don't want popping out of your deck. I could see it in an astral communion druid deck w/ the 4/6s so who knows
That Mage spell is a bit anti synergy with Reno. If say you get a Fireball from that card and you already have a Fireball in your deck... then Reno no longer works.

gutshot

That Mage spell is a bit anti synergy with Reno. If say you get a Fireball from that card and you already have a Fireball in your deck... then Reno no longer works.

Reno only counts duplicates in your deck, not in your hand. That's why if you are running double Mad Scientist or something in a Reno mage deck, just drawing one is enough to activate Reno.

Dahbomb

Reno only counts duplicates in your deck, not in your hand. That's why if you are running double Mad Scientist or something in a Reno mage deck, just drawing one is enough to activate Reno.
I know, if you have a Fireball in your deck and you get another Fireball from that new card, then Reno can't trigger until you draw your other Fireball from your deck.

Reno will still work. It's all about what's in your deck; your hand doesn't count.

GvG is far too strong just like Naxx.

BRM and LoE are more the power you would expect, TGT a bit below but still not really that bad... just bad when it has to compete against GvG and Naxx stuff.

The power curve that was increased by GvG and Naxx made the TGT set a lot worse. With those gone, TGT set will look a lot better now.

Honestly speaking it doesn't take a lot of cards to make an expansion increase the curve. GvG had a lot of bad cards that never got use but the cards that were good were nuts.
I look at a lot of TGT cards, and they just aren't appealing. I would probably end up putting more Classic cards in my deck. There are just too many stinkers. Maybe Inspire isn't properly valuated by Blizzard? There are cards like Silver Hand Regent that are hard to see the value in because they are so expensive.

I know, if you have a Fireball in your deck and you get another Fireball from that new card, then Reno can't trigger until you draw your other Fireball from your deck.

it should still work since like if you have two fireballs in your deck once you draw the first one, reno should activate as long as no other duplicate is in the deck

Dahbomb

LOL brain fart, this is what happens when you try to multitask at work...

There are cards like Silver Hand Regent that are hard to see the value in because they are so expensive.
Silverhand Regent is good. Very usable in a Token Midrange style Paladin deck.

The value of Inspire goes up when you have more than one Inspire cards in play. If you have both Silverhand and Murloc Knight in play... suddenly your board is completely full after using one hero power. The snowball potential with Inspire minions is very high. This is evident from playing Arena where Inspire cards are quite good. Inspire is just underwhelming when the field is dominated by high tempo, high sticky aggressive minions.

There are definitely some bad Inspire cards for sure. Poison Blade and that 5/4 that puts a 2/2 in your hand are pretty damn bad cards.

Szadek

The new gods is bad, but aren't all gods are supposed to get like 16 support cards or something?
Not sure how you would make him good, but he is probably slightly less shit than he looks right now.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

"The enemies RESPAWN?"

It wasn't even really considered a core raid at the time. The armor sets weren't necessarily full upgrades over BWL stuff so it was called Tier 2.5. Raiding was just a huge chore back then.

To beat 4 Horseman in 40-man Naxx you had to have 8 FULLY GEARED TANKS. Back when most raids had like 5 warriors and you had like half the loot drops per raid member you have now.

I could see something that 'helps' out Y'Shaarj in the sense that Deathrattle cards 'help' out N'Zoth so to speak.

But we really haven't seen anything like that yet.

That Harbinger is kind of cool since it'll always draw and Old God or Deathwing, but I don't know how well that will work out.

Szadek

C'Thun.is the only one that gets direct support, the others are supposed to get indirect support.
Like for N'Zoth that would be deathrattle minions.

The new gods is bad, but aren't all gods are supposed to get like 16 support cards or something?
Not sure how you would make him good, but he is probably slightly less shit than he looks right now.

Cost reduction for Y'shaarj, perhaps? Or a way to fish him out of the deck? Both? Maybe a way to have his card text activate multiple times.

I dunno, just spitballing here. As-is, he's (nearly) objectively worse than Varian, which didn't exactly set the world on fire either.

I actually see the harbinger being alright in dragon decks that would run something like deathwing. Have a dragon in your hand when you need it doesnt seem bad

gutshot

I could see something that 'helps' out Y'Shaarj in the sense that Deathrattle cards 'help' out N'Zoth so to speak.

That Harbinger is kind of cool since it'll always draw and Old God or Deathwing, but I don't know how well that will work out.

Also would work on Sea Giant, Frost Giant and Varian Wrynn.

Tacitus_

Thinking of getting rid of the resurrects and maybe the PW:S (protects from lightbomb tho), but not sure what to put in instead. Maybe Chromaggus + something? I've seen Rafaam and Frost Giants used but ehh

m6V7JbD.png

Also would work on Sea Giant, Frost Giant and Varian Wrynn.
Forgot about Wrynn but you are correct.

The main reason I didn't mention the Giants is because I wasn't sure how their cost worked while they are in your deck. Obviously, if they're 10 Mana, they can get pulled too.

Would be interesting with Frost Giant if it's 10 in your deck but free in your hand.

georly

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. Maybe we'll get more cards that work with other 10 Mana cards or something, but nothing explicit.

I mean, cards with the text 'at the start of your turn' might be OK with ysharjjsjsjsj, but they have to have high health or be immune or something. Ideally your ysarshshsh would be the removal sponge for whatever it summons.

gutshot

The main reason I didn't mention the Giants is because I wasn't sure how their cost worked while they are in your deck. Obviously, if they're 10 Mana, they can get pulled too.

Would be interesting with Frost Giant if it's 10 in your deck but free in your hand.

I assume it would go off of base mana cost, but yeah, that would be an interesting experiment to try out once the expansion launches.

I stumbled across this fan-made set. These ideas in these cards are awesome, though not all are perfect; I would take this over what we've seen so far. Just the Warlock set, since I haven't looked at the rest:
http://imgur.com/a/YDltM#0

I would absolutely make a deck around Dreadlord.

Also, I think the last Old God has to be involved with spells. Everything else has been minion-oriented.

It wasn't even really considered a core raid at the time. The armor sets weren't necessarily full upgrades over BWL stuff so it was called Tier 2.5. Raiding was just a huge chore back then.

To beat 4 Horseman in 40-man Naxx you had to have 8 FULLY GEARED TANKS. Back when most raids had like 5 warriors and you had like half the loot drops per raid member you have now.
This is why I don't miss the game at all. I could only see myself playing again if we had a great group of quality GAF members to raid with. The sadness when you spend months gearing someone up and they leave for a higher tier guild, over and over, is just too much.

It works off base cost, so tgat could happen.

Very unlikely though and the "start of turn" thing kills it. This is a shame because blizzard really needs to help unplayable 10 mana cards become... Well playable.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

The only things that I can see making Y'Sharrj more playable is ether something that has a really big drawback for a battle cry, or something that keeps going back to your deck like Malorne. And even then, I doubt it would be worth it, unless they also had huge synergy. Maybe if one card was this huge pile of HP with Taunt and the Wee Spell Stopper's ability, and the battle cry would normally shave off a ton of HP.

Like, you got some sort of 6 mana 1/20 minion with Taunt, has battle cry deal 12 damage to self, it and adjacent minions can't be targeted by spells, death rattle return to you deck. With that, Y'Sharrj could be good super good.

fdeecc20.png

Apathy

So, what if they coded Y'Shaarj in such a way that it activated Battlecrys?

Would it then be viable?

Probably. But the fact is that if they won't let the summoned minions use "at the end of your turn" ability, doubt that they would key battlecries go off.

After going through that fan set, I am so much more disappointed with Whispers of the Old Ones than I was earlier this week. So many incredible ideas that won't be used...

Dahbomb

After going through that fan set, I am so much more disappointed with Whispers of the Old Ones than I was earlier this week. So many incredible ideas that won't be used...
That's because most of them are overpowered as hell or garbagio as hell.

Dreadlord looks exceedingly broken. On the other side, that Legendary is awful.

Dre

11:48 pm finally reached rank 5.
Phew that was close.

EDIT: Got a golden Dark Whispers. Has 'Whispers' on it and is a GvG card, how quaint Blizzard.

That's because most of them are overpowered as hell or garbagio as hell.

Dreadlord looks exceedingly broken. On the other side, that Legendary is awful.
I will take overpowered over boring. I can play a game with all kinds of overpowered stuff, but I won't play a game that bores me. As a Man of Marvel, you must understand what I mean.

At the very least, the ideas throughout the set are better than anything we've seen in WotOG.

Dahbomb

I will take overpowered over boring. I can play a game with all kinds of overpowered stuff, but I won't play a game that bores me. As a Man of Marvel, you must understand what I mean.
You came to the wrong game then lmao!

In terms of card games HS is more SFV than Marvel. YGO is Marvel. Insanely overpowered broken stuff all over. HS by comparison is a very honest (but bland and less over the top) card game.

Top Bottom