• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

greepoman

Just had one of those super satisfying wins before the server barfed.

Was playing aggro pirate warrior against a renolock who drops reno when I have him at 8 health, taunts me repeatedly, then ropes because he thinks I'll quit. Nope I keep plugging away knowing that since he hasn't been able to tap at all there's a decent chance he doesn't have answers. Get him to 3 again and he drops soggoth but I top deck an arcanite reaper for exact lethal with what I have on board. Astonishing!

Zoggy

whats the reasoning behind publishing the deck lists before the tournament?just why?

i guess the idea was that some players were getting an advantage because some players would go on before others and get their decks displayed on stream so the other would have an advantaged knowing what their deck is.

so they tried to even the playing field by making everyones deck available to anyone.

its a tough problem to solve, and this solution is super lame to me, but i can't think of a solution either.

The more I play with lorewalker cho the more apparent it becomes that it's by far the most hilarious mill card. The best part is how enemy secrets play out:

1) Enemy plays a secret
2) I get that secret from cho and therefor know what they played
3) On my turn I also play the same secret and make sure not to activate theirs
4) now they have a card in their hand that they can't play because it's the same secret they already played.

It goes great with deathlord too. Recently had a game where the following happened:
1) I have cho and a deathlord in play
2) enemy plays a big fat minion
3) I play assassinate on their big minion, giving them an assassinate
4) they play assassinate on my deathlord, giving me back an assassinate to use on whatever minion the deathlord brings out

The more I play with lorewalker cho the more apparent it becomes that it's by far the most hilarious mill card. The best part is how enemy secrets play out:

1) Enemy plays a secret
2) I get that secret from cho and therefor know what they played
3) On my turn I also play the same secret and make sure not to activate theirs
4) now they have a card in their hand that they can't play because it's the same secret they already played.

It goes great with deathlord too. Recently had a game where the following happened:
1) I have cho and a deathlord in play
2) enemy plays a big fat minion
3) I play assassinate on their big minion, giving them an assassinate
4) they play assassinate on my deathlord, giving me back an assassinate to use on whatever minion the deathlord brings out
The term "mill" usually refers to forcing your opponent to draw to such a degree that they have to discard cards or take damage. It originates from the MtG card, "millstone", which led to "millstone decks" that try to win by emptying the opponent's card stack:
14042_1.jpg

The term "mill" usually refers to forcing your opponent to draw to such a degree that they have to discard cards or take damage. It originates from the MtG card, "millstone", which led to "millstone decks" that try to win by emptying the opponent's card stack:

I know, but cho can be a mill card in the sense that you stuff their hand with useless spells, making there beginning-of-turn draw be a mill.

we need a low cost windfury charge minion
For more Shaman aggro?

I know, but cho can be a mill card in the sense that you stuff their hand with useless spells, making there beginning-of-turn draw be a mill.
I don't think that's true. Where are these useless spells coming from? You can maybe get one overlapping secret like you suggested, but most people will just refrain from playing spells while Cho is on the board and then kill him. Meanwhile, you've locked yourself out of playing spells unless you want to harm your position. Lorewalker Cho is a pretty horrible card.

Dahbomb

we need a low cost windfury charge minion
Ayyy

L
M
A
O

Even if they make a 3 mana 1/1 Windury plus Charge minion it will just enable more OTK combos. That minion plus double PO into Faceless is a 36 damage combo.

Going by the tournament and ladder so far seems like the next Tempostorm list is probably gonna have the following changes:

Midrange Shaman at tier 1. They messed up having it on the edge before but this time they have to put it over the top into tier 1. Just too great of a result to ignore and really strong in the meta.

Tempo Warrior probably moves up a few spots but hard to say if it can push into tier #1.

Nzoth Paladin might move down to tier #2. A lot more combo decks are popping up or lists that counter it. Midrange Shaman, Miracoli, OTK Freeze Mage, Tempo Warrior, Renolock etc.

Zoolock might move down a few spots but may still be tier #1. Today Zoo has 100% winrate at the tournament though.

Nzoth Priest might move a few spots up, maybe tier #2.

Aggro Shaman may still be tier #1 but may not be best in the game but it's close. Miracoli and Freeze Mage should stay around the same spot.

The rest is irrelevant. A Shaman deck will probably be ##1 again.

Pooya

This set had zero charge minions.

LoE also had zero charge minions.

TGT had 3 charge minions, one of which can't hit face and another one being tied to dragon synergy.

Argent Horserider is the last good new charge minion this game will see. Just look what happened to arcane golem, charge mechanic is going to be limited to what we have now. Leeroy suddenly became very valuable again, played in miracle/zoo/renolock.

RIP charge.

TGT had 3 charge minions, one of which can't hit face and another one being tied to dragon synergy.

Argent Horserider is the last good new charge minion this game will see. Just look what happened to arcane golem, charge mechanic is going to be limited to what we have now. Leeroy suddenly become very valuable again, played in miracle/zoo/renolock.

RIP charge.

And good riddance.

Fuck charge. Worst mechanic in the game by a long shot.

Argent Horserider is the last good new charge minion this game will see. Just look what happened to arcane golem, charge mechanic is going to be limited to what we have now. Leeroy suddenly become very valuable again, played in miracle/zoo/renolock.

RIP charge.

with the agency lying with the attacker in Hearthstone charge has to either be severely overcosted or restricted to not cause constant feelbads.

I don't think that's true. Where are these useless spells coming from? You can maybe get one overlapping secret like you suggested, but most people will just refrain from playing spells while Cho is on the board and then kill him. Meanwhile, you've locked yourself out of playing spells unless you want to harm your position. Lorewalker Cho is a pretty horrible card.

I've seen cho work for milling. But most of the mill style decks are less about burning cards and more about coldlight oracle forced draws now.

Zoggy

all i'm doing this weekend is playing the element destruction+volcanic drake combo for tavern brawl.

i already hit the daily limit for gold and standard is already boring so i'm just going to ruin TB hunter farmers because fuck 'em.

hearthstone sucks. it just makes you a terrible person.

edlt: the windfury charge comment was sarcasm.

yeah charge sucks. i agree with everyone that charge should include "can only attack a minion".

Getting my tavern brawl quest wins done by beating the Mechwarper/leaper combo with my Frost Nova + Chillmaw combo. It's fun freezing the opponents enemies until they figure out they're fucked.

all i'm doing this weekend is playing the element destruction+volcanic drake combo for tavern brawl.

i already hit the daily limit for gold and standard is already boring so i'm just going to ruin TB hunter farmers because fuck 'em.

yeah charge sucks. i agree with everyone that charge should include "can only attack a minion".

Getting my tavern brawl quest wins done by beating the Mechwarper/leaper combo with my Frost Nova + Chillmaw combo. It's fun freezing the opponents enemies until they figure out they're fucked.

haven't people learned the concede cues yet?

With Mechwarper/Leaper:

• Opp. Hunter on the draw
  • mage pings you turn 2
  • shaman doesn't play anything
  • warrior plays all target dummys but 2 cards in hand
  • deathwing
Cuts time in half at least

I would if I had Volcanic Drake. :-/

But why hate on Leaper decks? We're all just trying to farm the brawl.

It's not hate from me but it's pretty fun to shit on overconfident Hunters that spam emotes from turn 1 because they know they'll win, pretty much the only reason I play Mana Wyrm Frost Nova.

It's not hate from me but it's pretty fun to shit on overconfident Hunters that spam emotes from turn 1 because they know they'll win, pretty much the only reason I play Mana Wyrm Frost Nova.
lol, fair enough.

There are a lot of decks that counter Mech Leaper and/or go 50/50 with it depending on the draw and who gets the first turn. The only class that seems inviable is Rogue.

Zoggy

ok for full disclosure i'm not "hating" on any decks or cards in any form of hearthstone.

i'm just playfuly talking crap. warper/leaper is really frequent on this weeks TB (which i love) so i said something about hating it.

if' i'm not playing a netdeck i suck ass. i hover around rank 15-10 per season.

i am by no means a hater of effective decks. i've only reached legend twice and that was because I ran secret pally and face hunter for 3 months. the only classes i have golden portraits for.

so this is all in jest.

and right now fuck leaper hunters. you don't deserve the gold

Tarazet

with the agency lying with the attacker in Hearthstone charge has to either be severely overcosted or restricted to not cause constant feelbads.

I expected Argent Commander to make it back into the meta, hasn't quite worked out that way but I don't think that's my failing. It's still a baller card that fits perfectly into Evolve Shaman.

ok for full disclosure i'm not "hating" on any decks or cards in any form of hearthstone.

i'm just playfuly talking crap. warper/leaper is really frequent on this weeks TB (which i love) so i said something about hating it.

if' i'm not playing a netdeck i suck ass. i hover around rank 15-10 per season.

i am by no means a hater of effective decks. i've only reached legend twice and that was because I ran secret pally and face hunter for 3 months. the only classes i have golden portraits for.

so this is all in jest.

and right now fuck leaper hunters. you don't deserve the gold

It's okay to hate on leaper hunters. You can't hate them more than they already hate themselves for farming gold rather than doing something enjoyable.

I expected Argent Commander to make it back into the meta, hasn't quite worked out that way but I don't think that's my failing. It's still a baller card that fits perfectly into Evolve Shaman.

I didn't, mainly because the divine shield is best used for hitting a minion, and then it never survives the next turn anyway.

It's okay to hate on leaper hunters. You can't hate them more than they already hate themselves for farming gold rather than doing something enjoyable.

I didn't, mainly because the divine shield is best used for hitting a minion, and then it never survives the next turn anyway.
I am almost never JUST playing Hearthstone. The game is too easy to focus on alone.

Seems the meta actually has slowed down a lot. People have crafted a lot of great aggro counters it seems. I havr started to run into very few aggro decks the last few days. Even the shamans are midrange and the warlocks are playing Reno

I just beat a Reno Mage using my Shadowpriest deck, and it had two hilarious moments:
1) I used Dream on Elise because I couldn't deal with her that turn. He played her again, shuffling a second map into his deck, so Reno failed.

2) When I used Thoughtsteal, I got the Map from his deck before he did.

This really is my favorite deck ever. I just need to make it work. :-/

I just watched that neirea vs amnesiac priest vs rogue play... I personally think that shadowstriking his own azure drake was a big misplay. And the commentators were congradulating him for finding such a good move. But imo it was wasted resources. He could have easily daggered the soulpriest and backstabbed the acolyte. His 4/4 would have been uncontested. He also missed lethal by 1 hp, meaning that if his azure drake got 1 hit in, he would have easily gotten lethal.

He did this after southsea deckhand got into his hand btw. He only had guaranteed lethal if the priest remained at exactly 21 hp. So he basically went all in where he just didn't need to. This mistake clearly because he didn't think neirea could kill soupriest and heal in the same turn, but he would have just been in a much better position had he played for board and given neirea a single extra draw.

Granted, he probably still would have lost. The card he lost to was still capable of putting the priest out of range. I still think the clearing board with uncontested drake had a higher chance of winning.

Warxard

Banned
So I cannot play Standard decks with two types of the same card anymore? Game just fucked up all of my decks to where I have only one of each copy now. And when I rebuild the deck it says it's invalid?

So I cannot play Standard decks with two types of the same card anymore? Game just fucked up all of my decks to where I have only one of each copy now. And when I rebuild the deck it says it's invalid?

ppl been saying it's an issue w/ the tavern brawl messing up decks

ppl been saying it's an issue w/ the tavern brawl messing up decks

It affected my deck before playing TB.

edit:
Maybe it is related. But pretty sure it's not.

double dit:
Actually, maybe my problem happened around the time brawl this week was released. So it was probably caused by it but I don't remember playing this week's brawl til after? I dunno

Apathy

god I would love to know who on the team designed evolve. It's unfair that I have to hate the whole team rather than just the one idiot who decided it was a good idea to make that card

Dart

god I would love to know who on the team designed evolve. It's unfair that I have to hate the whole team rather than just the one idiot who decided it was a good idea to make that card

It's a neat card I think, that 1 mana cost thought :/

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I started playing this today and one thing is bugging me, I'm playing on PC and Android and when I'm playing on Android whenever I move a card onto the board it brings up the tablet controls, can I disable this?

Apathy

I really hope going forward blizzard tries to look at the shit like emp, mechwarper, sorcerers apprentice and come to realize getting things to cost 0 mana is incredible dumb.

If you reduce the cost of cards it's extremely powerful, reducing them to 0 is borderline broken. Reductions should never be less than 1.

I started playing this today and one thing is bugging me, I'm playing on PC and Android and when I'm playing on Android whenever I move a card onto the board it brings up the tablet controls, can I disable this?
I play on my Android phone sometimes, and I've never had this happen. Maybe it's your device? Try a fresh install?

I really hope going forward blizzard tries to look at the shit like emp, mechwarper, sorcerers apprentice and come to realize getting things to cost 0 mana is incredible dumb.

If you reduce the cost of cards it's extremely powerful, reducing them to 0 is borderline broken. Reductions should never be less than 1.
What about Preparation?

Combo decks are the most frustrating to lose to because you feel like you had zero power to stop it. There wasn't a creature for you to kill, a control card to play around, or a board to wipe. It just happened, and now you're dead with 30 damage to the face out of nowhere. These decks are staples in competitive card games, though. Every game has them, and they likely won't disappear.

Owzers

I was playing some c'thun renolock on casual mode....they had a 3/1 Tunnel trogg after killing my beckoner and coined out feral spirits. I top deck Spreading Madness with having no minions out there, clears their three. Awwww yeah, first time playing the card.

Top Bottom