• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Danj

What's good on Standard Ranked at the moment? Tried a bunch of the top rated decks on HearthPwn (that I can build) but only going down.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Freeze mage is still fun and interactive, y'all. I'm sure this deck is a great asset to the game and engenders lots of feelings of fun and enjoyment for both players /sarcasm

Levi

Banned
What's good on Standard Ranked at the moment? Tried a bunch of the top rated decks on HearthPwn (that I can build) but only going down.

Zoo, any shaman (auto-generated shaman lists could probably hit legend ffs), tempo warrior.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Should I be playing ranked or casual for more fair games as a beginner? It seems 50/50 in casual whether or not I go against someone new like myself or someone with an entire deck of cards I've never even seen and they just shit on me.

Should I be playing ranked or casual for more fair games as a beginner? It seems 50/50 in casual whether or not I go against someone new like myself or someone with an entire deck of cards I've never even seen and they just shit on me.

Ranked, because your opponents are roughly on your playing level. Casual is going to be all over the place. Casual is really only good for testing new ideas without worrying about your rank.

Apathy

You get nothing from casual unless you just want to grind gold, and even then you might as well do brawls right now.

In ranked if you can hit 20 you can at least get something every month and you can get lucky and hit a few ranks up

scarlet

As a new beginner myself, I'd say ranked.

But I'm trying to play adventures (LoE) now to get more cards. Have the worst luck opening new packs.

As a new beginner myself, I'd say ranked.

But I'm trying to play adventures (LoE) now to get more cards. Have the worst luck opening new packs.
Set goals for yourself for decks you want to make, and make sure they are realistic and obtainable. I want to make a Dragon Priest deck, so I am grinding gold for my last BRM expansion. Then I need to get 800 dust (um, somehow) to craft two cards I need to complete the deck.

I must be doing something wrong then because I tried a bunch of Shaman decks and it's just win-lose-win-lose-lose. Are there any in particular that you could recommend?

In the advent of aggro decks the control and tempo decks have been tuned to a point that you almost have to draw well to win now. I think the game has slowed a lot and have being seeing a ton more warrior, paladin, Mage, priest than I am shaman and Zoolock. Even the few warlocks I have played lately are going Renolock.

The aggro decks are just to reliant on a turn 5/6 win. So decks have come up that control that early board and by turn 7 have a hard time regaining board.

Dahbomb

I must be doing something wrong then because I tried a bunch of Shaman decks and it's just win-lose-win-lose-lose. Are there any in particular that you could recommend?
I am afraid that at this point the issue isn't the deck but rather the skill level involved. Shaman anything can easily get to rank 5 right now when piloted well so if you are struggling then it means that you are doing something wrong.

Ask someone to spectate your games and help you out. It's better to settle down with a singe deck and learn its ins and out rather than jumping from deck to deck.

It took me 4 hours to get to rank 5 with midrange Shaman - you might need to reconsider how you are approaching the game if you aren't making progress.

ViviOggi

Anyone on EU available to spectate?

ViviOggi#2280

Don't ruin my streak
crazy.gif

€: done for today

Danj

I am afraid that at this point the issue isn't the deck but rather the skill level involved. Shaman anything can easily get to rank 5 right now when piloted well so if you are struggling then it means that you are doing something wrong.

Ask someone to spectate your games and help you out. It's better to settle down with a singe deck and learn its ins and out rather than jumping from deck to deck.

It took me 4 hours to get to rank 5 with midrange Shaman - you might need to reconsider how you are approaching the game if you aren't making progress.

Are there any new relevant videos I should be watching? (post-Standard/Old Gods obviously)

I've had people spectate me before and give tips, but I think there's still some underlying principle that I'm not getting.

Here's the deck I've been trying to use most recently, it claims an 84% win rate.

Are there any new relevant videos I should be watching? (post-Standard/Old Gods obviously)

I've had people spectate me before and give tips, but I think there's still some underlying principle that I'm not getting.

Here's the deck I've been trying to use most recently, it claims an 84% win rate.
It looks like they have 5 videos right there for you.

An 84% winrate is mostly BS. If you can even hit a 60% win rate, that's fantastic in this game. Maybe your expectations are too high?

Ladekabel

Looks like Tempo Warrior is the thing everyones playing right now. Playing it myself and the last five matches were all mirrors.

Edit.: Two more matches. Both mirrors, too. What the fuck is going on?

Levi

Banned

That deck looks fine. You're probably just playing inefficiently, wasting resources and not recognizing your win condition.

Dahbomb

Shouldve played the OTK Freeze Mage variant Ostkaka.

Also I would tweak that Shaman deck to have double Faceless as that card is very obviously broken.

Levi

Banned
Shaman facing lethal next turn and has only 3 cards in hand. I've just gained 12 armor and am feeling safe.

Doomhammer. Rockbiter. Rockbiter. Exact lethal with the hunter Hero power.

Now facing my third shaman in a row.

Ladder is such shit. Why aren't all the shamans up in the the single digit ranks? How shit are these players that they are playing a broken class and are still at rank 12?

Casual doesn't help me get my golden warrior and that mode is all just Shamans are who too gutless to play ranked.

Arena: shamans.

Brawl is a coin flip and if I wanted to play that mindlessly id just play Shaman anyway.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I took your advice and did some ranked, this was my best game so far, I yelled like a mad man when I won, it was so close. I'm enjoying this way more than I expected to, it's my first card game and I went in not expecting much honestly. I'm still just leveling the basic decks as well, I guess the game gets way more fun later, this feels like grinding up an alt in WoW which is the boring part.

Uploaded the game if anyone wants to watch my newb plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8yTZtCeLA4

ViviOggi

Well I took your advice and did some ranked, this was my best game so far, I yelled like a mad man when I won, it was so close. I'm enjoying this way more than I expected to, it's my first card game and I went in not expecting much honestly. I'm still just leveling the basic decks as well, I guess the game gets way more fun later, this feels like grinding up an alt in WoW which is the boring part.

Uploaded the game if anyone wants to watch my newb plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8yTZtCeLA4

Aww yiss I needed a good dose of Dennis plays, they've become so rare.

And welcome. A piece of advice from a longtime player: run and never look back

jgminto

You shouldn't have too much trouble reaching Rank 20 with a basic deck once you've got the fundamentals of trading and board control down, it's very unlikely to run into meta decks before the teens. I will say since you're playing Rogue, it's really important to get as much value as possible from your dagger hero power. Using that one damage to get a favourable trade is almost always better than conserving your health total. I think Trump mentions this in one of his tutorial videos (in the OP) if you haven't watched those, they are extremely useful for understanding the game.

fertygo

Shaman facing lethal next turn and has only 3 cards in hand. I've just gained 12 armor and am feeling safe.

Ladder is such shit. Why aren't all the shamans up in the the single digit ranks? How shit are these players that they are playing a broken class and are still at rank 12?

Casual doesn't help me get my golden warrior and that mode is all just Shamans are who too gutless to play ranked.

Brawl is a coin flip and if I wanted to play that mindlessly id just play Shaman anyway.

this frustate me as fellow cancer zoo player, literally 1/10 chance queueing Shaman.. its 55-45 matchup :(

btw should I switch my Frostwolf to Doomguard guise? don't have/want to craft Sea Giant

Shouldve played the OTK Freeze Mage variant Ostkaka.

Also I would tweak that Shaman deck to have double Faceless as that card is very obviously broken.
It blows my mind when I see Shaman decks without Faceless. How can you forego a 7/7 for 4?!

Maybe they don't play that much, so they're not up to rank 5 yet?

this frustate me as fellow cancer zoo player, literally 1/10 chance queueing Shaman.. its 55-45 matchup :(

btw should I switch my Frostwolf to Doomguard guise? don't have/want to craft Sea Giant
One Doomguard is good in that deck. Not sure about 2. But if you're skipping the big bodies, you're missing half of that deck's power. You need an answer to clears.

clav

Toying with the idea of adding Mass Dispel to a Priest deck.

Always feels like I could use a silence and card draw.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You shouldn't have too much trouble reaching Rank 20 with a basic deck once you've got the fundamentals of trading and board control down, it's very unlikely to run into meta decks before the teens. I will say since you're playing Rogue, it's really important to get as much value as possible from your dagger hero power. Using that one damage to get a favourable trade is almost always better than conserving your health total. I think Trump mentions this in one of his tutorial videos (in the OP) if you haven't watched those, they are extremely useful for understanding the game.

I'm playing Warrior now, I haven't decided on what deck to main yet, I'm just getting them all to level 10 for the rewards, so far Rogue was probably my least favorite. I have Warrior, Paladin and Druid left. Once I've farmed them all to 10 I will read up on enchanting, it keeps blinking at me!

I have to say though, when it's even this game is really, really fun, it gives me the same adrenaline rush as killing WoW bosses did back in the day. I just wanted something to play until Overwatch returns and I think it'll do nicely for that and beyond, the best thing about it is I can play in bed on the tablet, I have lots of problems with my back so sitting at the PC gets very painful.

Aww yiss I needed a good dose of Dennis plays, they've become so rare.

And welcome. A piece of advice from a longtime player: run and never look back

I'm going to believe that Dennis is amazing and you're in awe of my skills! :D

Dahbomb

Europe prelimins top 8 qualified players classes brought:

Everyone brought Warlock with a mix of Zoo and Reno.

7 out 8 Shamans, only that guy who loves Cthun decks didn't bring it.

3 Freeze Mage.

6 Warriors, 4 Tempo and 2 Control.

4 Nzoth Paladins.

3 Miracolis.

1 Cthun Druid.

No Priest, no Hunter. Every other deck type irrelevant.

I sympathize with you. I ran a totem deck similar to this and shot up to rank 7, and then stalled big time and tumbled down to 9. So many decks are being built to clear the early board and and just lay down bigger minions later. And this is just not a great deck for mid to late game. It is designed to try and win on turn 5/6 and I had terrible luck maintaining lethal. Lots of mind games of do I fill the board early and go for that bloodlust kill and hope they don't have a board clear or hold cards to bait out the board clears?

I just gave up on it. Got back to rank 7 quickly with cthun shaman I was playing earlier. At least with that I have multiple won conditions and late game options, and that is worth the potentially much slower start.

Dahbomb

That deck isn't designed to win by turn 5/6, that's what Aggro Shaman does. The Midrange Shaman is all about maintaining a healthy boards even if it's a bunch of Totems because that's its win condition.

It grinds out the opponent by continuously presenting threats. Against other aggressive decks you get on board fast and then tempo them out in the mid game with Thing of Deep and Fire Elemental while clearing their weenies with Lightning Storm. The aggro decks can't handle those beefy minions.

Against Control decks you present threats piece meal. Maximize Totem usage as totems are actually strong late game. Force them to use board clears on a relatively weak board then refill board with a Thing of Deep, totems etc. It's not feasible for them to cLear every Totem and eventually you will get great value from Thuderbluff or finish them with Bloodlust.

Match ups against Control decks is simple. Against Paladins you play cautious until they use two Equalities and then you go ham, save Hex for Tirion againstnd Sylvanas. Against Warriors you play cautious until they use two Brawls then play your big threats so even Geddon can't clear.

This decks only weakness are decks that are more aggressive than it like Zoo and even then if you get a good early Lightning Storm and get god curves with Feral Spirits you can beat them too.

been find some sucess with tempo warror. replace malkorck and baron geddon with a gorehowl and sylvannas.

been messing around with totem shaman, its about bosrd control. need to ahve 2 or three mionos/totems then drop thunderbliuff .

This month has been a real struggle for me. Can't seem to find a deck that I win more than 56-58% of games with, which is making laddering really annoying. And none of the decks are that particularly fun to play either :/

Top Bottom