• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

i got to rank 10 with midrange hunter this month, then i hit a rut.

decided to try out miracle rogue and im back at rank 18 :eek: im obviously bad, but man i suck with this deck. its really fun deck though and i want to learn it, but its a bit soul crushing winning like 1-5 with it.

feels bad.
Just throwing this out there: I hit 10 with midrange Hunter really easily this month. Then I started trading wins and losses. At one point I hit a streak and went up to 8, but then I fell back down to 9, traded for a while, etc. Then I switched to midrange Shaman and climbed up with ease, because midrange Shaman is just a better midrange Hunter.

Daigoro

Just throwing this out there: I hit 10 with midrange Hunter really easily this month. Then I started trading wins and losses. At one point I hit a streak and went up to 8, but then I fell back down to 9, traded for a while, etc. Then I switched to midrange Shaman and climbed up with ease, because midrange Shaman is just a better midrange Hunter.

yeah i know its not a great deck, but ive always liked hunter, so i play it for fun. ive been holding off playing Shaman so far, but i may break down and make a deck. i was playing a little zoo as well, so i might switch back to that, but we'll see.

thanks for the suggestion.

Pooya

class/deck breakdown of winter prelims for EU (30 player sample)
https://manacrystals.com/articles/142-blizzcon-2016-europe-spring-preliminary-decklists-breakdown

Code:
Class 	Count (120 Decks Total)
---------------------------------------------------
Druid 	3
Hunter 	1
Mage 	7
Paladin 	12
Priest 	8
Rogue 	21
Shaman 	25
Warlock 	28
Warrior 	15

Code:
Deck Type 	Count (120 Decks Total)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Aggro Shaman 	1 0
C'Thun Druid 	2
C'Thun Warrior 	1
Control Warrior 	4
Freeze Mage 	7
Gaara's Druid 	1
Handlock 	1
Midrange Shaman 	15
Miracle/Malygos Rogue 	21
N'Zoth Hunter 	1
N'Zoth Paladin 	12
N'Zoth Priest 	8
Pirate Warrior 	1
Reno Warlock 	12
Tempo Warrior 	13
Zoo Warlock 	10

Druid is so dead as I predicted. I actually think mid range hunter is better to play. The nerfs were too much and unnecessary on lore/keeper. The class doesn't really have much going for it right now, yeah good minions that just die to cheap removal and you never recover. A lot of ramp into but no good way to control the board.

Priest actually seems decent, it can counter the paladins and there are even otk version around like the one firebat is playing. The rest is business as usual.

Druid is so dead as I predicted. I actually think mid range hunter is better to play. The nerfs were too much and unnecessary on lore/keeper. The class doesn't really have much going for it right now, yeah good minions that just die to cheap removal and you never recover. A lot of ramp into but no good way to control the board.

Priest actually seems decent, it can counter the paladins and there are even otk version around like the one firebat is playing. The rest is business as usual.

Yeah, I don't understand why they went so hard on Druid. Combo was cancerous and needed a nerf, but is Lore really that good when you're not digging for a 14 damage combo? They just took too much away at once. Instead of only doing 1 round of nerfs, they should've nerfed combo with the understanding that if Druid is still broken they would make another adjustment in a month or two.

ViviOggi

01.v6213.jpg

V1x15tD.gif

COMBO ALERT COMBO ALERT

V1x15tD.gif

INITIATE SECOND NERF WAVE

V1x15tD.gif

Dahbomb

I was like "man Shaman would punish all these combo decks" when I realized that most of the players bringing that line up just banned Shaman...

LMAO!

Daigoro

shit, i just crafterd the last murloc i thought i needed for Old Murk Eye and didnt get him. i thought the quest was re-enabled?

you only need the classic ones right?

bjaelke

shit, i just crafterd the last murloc i thought i needed for Old Murk Eye and didnt get him. i thought the quest was re-enabled?

you only need the classic ones right?

It was only for a couple of days.

"With the launch of Whispers of the Old Gods, the quests will be re-enabled until Sunday, May 1 at 11:59 PM PDT."

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Also no Chogall in Firebat's Lock deck... Ayy lmao!

Firebat never finished his card evaluations so he got pushed out as being one of the pros for our re-review. We'll have to put him on blast on the side, lol.

Priest entombed my sylvanas and cairne thinking I was N'zoth and swd raged bloodhoof and frothing. I drop Varian who pulls Yshaar'j, Soggoth and Gruul. Then Yshaar'j pulls Rags. Instant concede. Gruul is the gift that keeps giving when people hex stupid minions or use removal on other pesky ones.

I also still had Grommash, Ysera and whirlwind in hand.

CoolOff

Man, Hunter in arena is just sad right now. I faced a Mage who dropped taunts on turn 5, 6, and 7 against my fairly decent aggressive deck. Denied.

Shaman drops Onyxia and evolve and gets 2 doomsayers. Justice! I go face board clears then drop rags for finisher. Warrior is proving to hold his own in the lower ranks.

Shaman drops Onyxia and evolve and gets 2 doomsayers. Justice! I go face board clears then drop rags for finisher. Warrior is proving to hold his own in the lower ranks.

Fucking Doomsayer is the bane of Evolve decks, stopped piloting shredders and started inspiring Totems to grow up and be like him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gadgetzan's not going to survive the next wave.

I remember gadgetzan not being used for almost an entire expansion or two. Prep + sprint was the thing. They actually made gadgetzan work better due to tomb pillager and xaril, so why would they now nerf gadgetzan? Tomb pillager is out next rotation anyway.

Fucking Doomsayer is the bane of Evolve decks, stopped piloting shredders and started inspiring Totems to grow up and be like him.

Lol, when he played evolve I knew with my entire soul he would get at least one doomsayer. He was a prick the entire game with BM so it served him right.

I can't wait for this card to get nerfed. It's worst than all the other card draw minions and divine favor can't touch this when a rogue is ready.

100 wins away from Golden Warrior.

Pooya

yeah, when tomb pillager goes things will be rough again, I'm not sure they will print another coin generator for rogue any time soon. Xaril is great but it doesn't make Gadgetzan go any faster. Loatheb not being around is the main reason miracle is working this well, maybe without pillager still works even as long as there is nothing like loatheb,

If they are printing something like Loatheb again, it should be a tech card with bad stats and everything that you choose to put in the deck to counter something, not that like before that you need a 5 drop, let's play Loatheb, why not.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I remember gadgetzan not being used for almost an entire expansion or two. Prep + sprint was the thing. They actually made gadgetzan work better due to tomb pillager and xaril, so why would they now nerf gadgetzan? Tomb pillager is out next rotation anyway.

Because those things will rotate and Gadgetzan won't. I think that falls under their "limits design space" criteria for "soft deletion".

That is to say, coin generation is more of what I think they want for Rogue than Gadgetzan's "draw your entire deck". Coin easily enables Combo as well. I just don't think they're happy with Miracle being back again and again, if they want it to exist at all.

Dahbomb

Despite the nerfs and the rotation, Rogue is still playing the same stuff they have been playing since the game was made.

Draw a bunch of cards and burst you down by some combo.

A lot of people thought they would nerf Prep because of it.

Blizzard also sighing relief over Emperor rotating out soon.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Priest entombed my sylvanas and cairne thinking I was N'zoth and swd raged bloodhoof and frothing. I drop Varian who pulls Yshaar'j, Soggoth and Gruul. Then Yshaar'j pulls Rags. Instant concede. Gruul is the gift that keeps giving when people hex stupid minions or use removal on other pesky ones.

I also still had Grommash, Ysera and whirlwind in hand.

My favorite thing in hearthstone is outgreeding the greedy decks with too many big minions to remove, especially with less BGH out there.

Ladekabel

Gadgetzan is fine and nowhere near as broken as the shit card that is Divine Favor. Had too many games where I lost to Divine Favor because they have eight cards from nothing and won some games where Rogues milled themselves because they went full Gadgetzan.

G.ZZZ

Standard should just have rotated out the basic and classic sets. Keeping those in Standard will make standard decks feel always the same shit, and will prevent decks from changing too much between rotation. Also, "mediocre" cards will never see play as long as basic exist. Removing Basic and Classic would also differentiate much more Wild and Standard.

FeD.nL

Standard should just have rotated out the basic and classic sets. Keeping those in Standard will make standard decks feel always the same shit, and will prevent decks from changing too much between rotation. Also, "mediocre" cards will never see play as long as basic exist. Removing Basic and Classic would also differentiate much more Wild and Standard.

Yup. There are just way too many solid cards in those sets. I mean I cannot imagine there will ever be a mage deck that won't run frostbolt. And going back each year to nerf some cards is just dumb in the long run. Like if you're gonna make the most played cards of the classic/basic set bad each year why not rotate those sets out in the first place?

Ladekabel

I can see the point for removing classic but removing basic would be insane. What would you give newcomers instead?

And I swear to god they made only three totems available for Tuskarr Totemic. It's always Mana Tide, Golem or Flametongue.

Pooya

Despite the nerfs and the rotation, Rogue is still playing the same stuff they have been playing since the game was made.

Draw a bunch of cards and burst you down by some combo.

A lot of people thought they would nerf Prep because of it.

Blizzard also sighing relief over Emperor rotating out soon.

just look at their cards, what else you can play. It's the best strategy. It's the class identity too to be a glass cannon. I don't think Blizzard wants that to not exist, Xaril and Pillager are explicitly made for gadgetzan, they even have a malyrogue recipe that plays all of that.

I feel it's a lot worse for the game if every class played the same minion on curve game but with a different skin. We need to have the control-aggro-combo triangle in the game, it's working for the most part right now, it's just that shaman is too good for the aggro role so much that control decks can't actually beat it that well.

FeD.nL

I can see the point for removing classic but removing basic would be insane. What would you give newcomers instead?

And I swear to god they made only three totems available for Tuskarr Totemic. It's always Mana Tide, Golem or Flametongue.

You could have a dynamic basic set that changes at the beginning of each new standard year. Either with completely new cards or change cards with cards from sets that are rotated out. For example: frostbolt leaves the basic set and flamecannon replaces it next year. And the year following that frostbolt could come back or something else takes that slot.

clav

Playing Priest gets you thinking too much because most cards are conditional.

Feels scary to play cards on an empty board and stress inducing when there is a board.

Because those things will rotate and Gadgetzan won't. I think that falls under their "limits design space" criteria for "soft deletion".

That is to say, coin generation is more of what I think they want for Rogue than Gadgetzan's "draw your entire deck". Coin easily enables Combo as well. I just don't think they're happy with Miracle being back again and again, if they want it to exist at all.

I feel like "limits design space" is such a blanket term it can be applied to every single card in some way.

There are always going to be cards that limit design space. I believe they like gadgetzan being able to pull off miracles. They've stated that in the past at least. And I don't think tomb pillager even pushes gadgetzan into such a bad territory in terms of power curve anyway, at least not right now after blade flurry was nerfed. I can imagine rogue would be absolutely broken if they could still clear board and hit face, granted the mana cost increase was still overkill imo.

Yup. There are just way too many solid cards in those sets. I mean I cannot imagine there will ever be a mage deck that won't run frostbolt. And going back each year to nerf some cards is just dumb in the long run. Like if you're gonna make the most played cards of the classic/basic set bad each year why not rotate those sets out in the first place?

People said that about fireball. But that happened even before standard.

I think they'll be happy if it is normal for a deck to have ~10 basic/classic cards. But it's going to take more than a single standard expansion for that to happen.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hearthstone giveth and Hearthstone taketh away.

Y'saarj naga joust druid win streak from rank 15 to 11, 1 win away from 10, then lose to the bad paladin matchup, and then lose to Hunter only because he gets a Core Hound from ram wrangler.

Then I lose to freeze mage that literally did 5 aoe freeze spells plus 2 flamestrikes to kill all the good minions Y'saarj pulled after I ramped to him, leaving me with nothing but spells to draw.

Feels bad man.

Edit:

Here's my decklist anyway:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/544367-ysaarj-naga-joust-druid

Hearthstone giveth and Hearthstone taketh away.

Y'saarj naga joust druid win streak from rank 15 to 11, 1 win away from 10, then lose to the bad paladin matchup, and then lose to Hunter only because he gets a Core Hound from ram wrangler.

Then I lose to freeze mage that literally did 5 aoe freeze spells plus 2 flamestrikes to kill all the good minions Y'saarj pulled after I ramped to him, leaving me with nothing but spells to draw.

Feels bad man.

Edit:

Here's my decklist anyway:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/544367-ysaarj-naga-joust-druid

Seems like a deck that could use some ragnaros love, perhaps instead of ironbark protector?

When fandral hits off cenarius, do the 2/2s you summon become 4/4s?

I think they said choose one goes off order of text so I'd imagine it buffs before summoning the 2/2s but you never know with these things til you try it.

Top Bottom