• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Shaman is a very intricate class that requires much thought when drafting in order to succeed

0et1pXH.jpg
gejnCgJ.jpg

lol nah, final boss tiem

EDIT: beat my final boss, a mage, on turn 6. turns out having a flamewreathed faceless on board and hitting it with windfury and a flametongue totem is really good, huh

Pooya

It's funny how easy it is to have your manatide totems stick around for a looong time these days. Had two of them against this N'Zoth paly and he couldn't kill them, guess how that turned out :b definitely play two, it's very strong against these control decks, it's like pre nerf Nat Pagle afterall lol.

That deck isn't designed to win by turn 5/6, that's what Aggro Shaman does. The Midrange Shaman is all about maintaining a healthy boards even if it's a bunch of Totems because that's its win condition.

It grinds out the opponent by continuously presenting threats. Against other aggressive decks you get on board fast and then tempo them out in the mid game with Thing of Deep and Fire Elemental while clearing their weenies with Lightning Storm. The aggro decks can't handle those beefy minions.

Against Control decks you present threats piece meal. Maximize Totem usage as totems are actually strong late game. Force them to use board clears on a relatively weak board then refill board with a Thing of Deep, totems etc. It's not feasible for them to cLear every Totem and eventually you will get great value from Thuderbluff or finish them with Bloodlust.

Match ups against Control decks is simple. Against Paladins you play cautious until they use two Equalities and then you go ham, save Hex for Tirion againstnd Sylvanas. Against Warriors you play cautious until they use two Brawls then play your big threats so even Geddon can't clear.

This decks only weakness are decks that are more aggressive than it like Zoo and even then if you get a good early Lightning Storm and get god curves with Feral Spirits you can beat them too.
I'll also add that this deck does not give a crap about Reno decks. Every minion is so huge that losing your board is 100% fine. Just keep your board to 2-3 minions so the wipes don't cost you too much. One of the great things about totems is that with a Flametongue, your opponent might have to waste a clear fighting a hero power!

It's funny how easy it is to have your manatide totems stick around for a looong time these days. Had two of them against this N'Zoth paly and he couldn't kill them, guess how that turned out :b definitely play two, it's very strong against these control decks, it's like pre nerf Nat Pagle afterall lol.
I try to do Mana Tide Totem + Spirit Wolves or Mana Tide Totem + Earth Elemental to ensure value.

Season class break down (start to rank 5):
druid - 4%
Hunter - 9%
Mage - 6%
Paladin - 10%
Priest - 7%
Rogue - 12%
Shaman - 23%
Warlock - 17%
Warrior - 12%

I played mostly my malygos rogue deck (xarilyos), but also some c'thun paladin (couple different variations, including intentionally bad ones to experiment) and a bit of control shaman.

I like the spot that malygos rogue is in atm. It only really loses to shaman and probably more than usual for me due to inexperience with the deck. Every class I have a positive winrate with except for shaman. I am thinking of some tweaking that could improve the match up without hitting other matchups much if at all too. I feel like evolved kobold could be a piece of the puzzle.

Code:
[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaDDJoQ4S2ubvnpIF3H5eh88AIj01XRrX_5TUApFXObKn_MgUDhQ[/IMG]

Amazing how day 1 everything was C'Thun Druid, and now...

I still struggle against C'Thun Druid, so I don't know why people stopped playing it.

Dahbomb

Amazing how day 1 everything was C'Thun Druid, and now...

I still struggle against C'Thun Druid, so I don't know why people stopped playing it.
Cthun Druid was everywhere day 1 because it's a very cheap deck to make. You only needed the dust to craft Twin Emperors and the rest of the deck was commons and rares.

And the deck is very easy pilot and surprisingly effective. It rewards playing minions on curve.

The issue is that Druid as a class overall is pretty bad now. Cthun Druid works because their two Cthun minions are pretty strong but the rest of the Druid cards don't carry, it has to be done by the Cthun synergies.

Aside from Ramp there is nothing really good about Druids. No great late game win condition that is exclusive to the class, no strong aggressive openers like the other classes, no real comeback factor, low value removals, no good board clear. They are now forever stuck playing a Midrange playstyle until new cards are introduced for them.

Aylinato

Cthun Druid was everywhere day 1 because it's a very cheap deck to make. You only needed the dust to craft Twin Emperors and the rest of the deck was commons and rares.

And the deck is very easy pilot and surprisingly effective. It rewards playing minions on curve.

The issue is that Druid as a class overall is pretty bad now. Cthun Druid works because their two Cthun minions are pretty strong but the rest of the Druid cards don't carry, it has to be done by the Cthun synergies.

Aside from Ramp there is nothing really good about Druids. No great late game win condition that is exclusive to the class, no strong aggressive openers like the other classes, no real comeback factor, low value removals, no good board clear. They are now forever stuck playing a Midrange playstyle until new cards are introduced for them.

Im not quoting you, I was just lazy on mobile.

How does renounce work? Does it give an actual preset deck?

fertygo

What more intricate deck to saving dust for and stick with it and made you learn better fundamental?

I just dirty zoo player now but I want play more complicated deck when I had enough dust

miracle?

Ran into my first bot in a long ass time. Rank 6 shaman who plays totems + thunderbluff hilariously out of order every time. And I was suspicious from early on, but the later plays he made seemed to only confirm it. Then he didn't concede despite me having obvious lethal and hilarious overkill on board. He also just made wonky plays like playing hero power over feral spirits which makes little sense after you just played a tunnel trogg. Everything adds up to be extremely sketchy at the very least.

edit:
On a side note, evolved kobold shaman + prep fan of knives was a really good board clear.

What more intricate deck to saving dust for and stick with it and made you learn better fundamental?

I just dirty zoo player now but I want play more complicated deck when I had enough dust

miracle?
The more intricate decks all have unique playstyles. It's up to you.

miracle?

All decks are pretty complicated at higher levels of play. Even zoo tbh, because making a single mistake could mean a loss. But yeah, I'd say miracle is one of the more complicated decks in the game because it often utilizes your entire deck. There are also a lot of variations atm so it's not like you're stuck with one single win condition.

Dahbomb

miracle?
Miracle won't teach you better overall fundamentals. It's a very specific deck and learning how to play Miracle will only really teach you how to play Miracle well or other similar combo decks.

A good fundamental deck right now is Tempo Warrior. You have to balance card draws, value plays, tempo plays and pushing for face. Zoo decks teach fundamentals too and so does Midrange Shaman but Tempo Warrior with its enrage mechanics demand a bit more.

miracle or renolock i would say

renolock is super expensive and i'm p sure he doesn't have a crazy card collection, throw control warrior and renolock out the window if you haven't been playing for a long time/spent lots of money on the game.

IMO hunter and mage decks are the cheapest to get deep into after zoo and their cards overlap on most of the decks the classes use; idk how mage is doing now though, i pretty much just play wild and both classes are great there

fertygo

Miracle won't teach you better overall fundamentals. It's a very specific deck and learning how to play Miracle will only really teach you how to play Miracle well or other similar combo decks.

A good fundamental deck right now is Tempo Warrior. You have to balance card draws, value plays, tempo plays and pushing for face. Zoo decks teach fundamentals too and so does Midrange Shaman but Tempo Warrior with its enrage mechanics demand a bit more.

Too bad Tempo Warrior is very expensive :( but its a goal to achieve!

Btw I think I see budget version of it with Patron n charge pushing for OTK at hearthpwn, not sure how good tho

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Using Brawl to clear Hunter/Mage dailies. I tried Ice Block/Fireball but I lost to Mechwarper/Mech Leaper. Okay fine, I load up Hunter instead.

Hunter vs Hunter, the other guy instantly concedes when he sees me going second. Easy dailies.

Using Brawl to clear Hunter/Mage dailies. I tried Ice Block/Fireball but I lost to Mechwarper/Mech Leaper. Okay fine, I load up Hunter instead.

Hunter vs Hunter, the other guy instantly concedes when he sees me going second. Easy dailies.

ez game ez life

Tagyhag

Are Warrior Cthun decks supposed to be good? I keep fighting Warriors who only use that deck but they lose every time.

It's not like annoying Druid Cthun.

Ken

Are Warrior Cthun decks supposed to be good? I keep fighting Warriors who only use that deck but they lose every time.

It's not like annoying Druid Cthun.

they seem ok since all the armor lets them live long enough to drop c'thun, and their c'thun 6/6 is nice too

BraXzy

This has probably been asked a bunch so apologies but...

I have a bunch of dust and I want to get back into HS. What cards should I be crafting from this new expansion?

Got back to rank 12. I've got a couple weeks to make my goal of 10.

Was one win away from 11, but then I ran into a deck almost similar to mine. Lost cause I couldn't draw a proper response in time.

Ken

A lot of Mage, a lot of Hunter, some Warrior, some Shaman.. not a big Rogue player or Paladin.

For Hunter it's probably CotW>Infested Wolf=Fiery Bat>Carrion Grub>Princess/On the Hunt in terms of use.

Mage is like Cult Sorcerer, Faceless Summoner, Cabalist's Tome and Forbidden Flame maybe?

Warrior is Ravaging Ghoul. Bloodhoof Brave, Blood to Ichor, and Ancient Shieldbearer if C'thun Warrior.

For neutrals it's mostly C'thun minions if you play C'thun. Cult Apothecary and Corrupted Healbot get used sometime too I think!

For Legendaries it's N'zoth and if you play C'thun then the Twin Emperor Vek'lor.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Finally got my first class to 500 wins, with Paladin.

Final boss was a Dragon Priest running new Deathwing up against my N'Zoth Paladin. Pretty long game but a worthy final boss. He used Entomb against my Cairne and Light Rag so I was able to drop Tirion safely and even rezzed him with N'Zoth. Preeetty good.

BraXzy

For Hunter it's probably CotW>Infested Wolf=Fiery Bat>Carrion Grub>Princess/On the Hunt in terms of use.

Mage is like Cult Sorcerer, Faceless Summoner, Cabalist's Tome and Forbidden Flame maybe?

Warrior is Ravaging Ghoul. Bloodhoof Brave, Blood to Ichor, and Ancient Shieldbearer if C'thun Warrior.

For neutrals it's mostly C'thun minions if you play C'thun. Cult Apothecary and Corrupted Healbot get used sometime too I think!

For Legendaries it's N'zoth and if you play C'thun then the Twin Emperor Vek'lor.

Thanks a lot! I've crafted a bunch of these, holding out on the Princess for now. Only have 1500 dust left. Legendary-wise I made Twin, N'Zoth and Yogg.

I need a solid 2 drop for Reno Cthun. Besides the Cthun cards I've got doomsayer and bilefin murloc. Any suggestions?
What class anf what's your deck looking like? I personally like Loot Hoarder for the cycle but you might not need it. Doomsayer might be just fine honestly if it's a rwally heavy control deck.

Ketch

What class anf what's your deck looking like? I personally like Loot Hoarder for the cycle but you might not need it. Doomsayer might be just fine honestly if it's a rwally heavy control deck.

warlock sorry. Should have clarified, but I thought it would be obvious... are their other reno cthun classes?

yea, I run doomsayer, bilefine murloc, and wraith guard... but wraith guard sucks and was looking for 2 drop with good stat line.

maybe I should just do flame juggler.. probably the best.

warlock sorry. Should have clarified, but I thought it would be obvious... are their other reno cthun classes?

yea, I run doomsayer, bilefine murloc, and wraith guard... but wraith guard sucks and was looking for 2 drop with good stat line.

maybe I should just do flame juggler.. probably the best.
No worries, I'm not sure if there are other classes that run Reno C'Thun, probably not.

As already mentioned, there's Ooze and Flame Juggler. I'd always keep Ooze in mind incase weapons get really popular.

Is there a reason why you'd be against Dark Peddler? Seems like that could be good.

Ketch

No worries, I'm not sure if there are other classes that run Reno C'Thun, probably not.

As already mentioned, there's Ooze and Flame Juggler. I'd always keep Ooze in mind incase weapons get really popular.

Is there a reason why you'd be against Dark Peddler? Seems like that could be good.

I got a dark peddler in there already too. I'll post my list in a minute.

edit:

patchday

Shaman is a very intricate class that requires much thought when drafting in order to succeed

lol nah, final boss tiem

EDIT: beat my final boss, a mage, on turn 6. turns out having a flamewreathed faceless on board and hitting it with windfury and a flametongue totem is really good, huh

still need to try Shaman. I'm still a newbie. Only played as Mage and Paladin so far

Love this game :)

Such a refreshing break from MOBAs (like I've said before). It's very nice not having to worry about toxics, afkers, feeders, etc.

Alright- Shaman class next. I love Thrall. Was a Shaman in World of Warcraft :)

I got a dark peddler in there already too. I'll post my list in a minute.
Ahh, alright. If you're following a deck list, then you're probably fine. I'll be honest, u haven't played a Reno or C'Thun Lock, so I don't know what's best.

However, it is good to have an open spot or two in your deck where you can change out cards as you need to while going up the ladder.

Ketch

Ahh, alright. If you're following a deck list, then you're probably fine. I'll be honest, u haven't played a Reno or C'Thun Lock, so I don't know what's best.

However, it is good to have an open spot or two in your deck where you can change out cards as you need to while going up the ladder.

not really following a list, made it on the first day of the expansion by just throwing in 1 each of the cthun cards and some other more zoo type stuff, but i've refined it a bunch since then getting rid of most of the 1 drops and knife juggler and councilman.

it's probably pretty standard now though, anybody have any suggestions? my goal is just getting rank 15 this month.

i think right now maybe sylvanas is actually the odd one out... or maybe i'm just bad at knowing when to play her, but it seems like I can never get her deathrattle to hit anything.

LOL, we have a full ecological system in Brawl now. I just met a Hunter faking a leaper deck. Drops two mech warpers and then a demolisher. Then concedes.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
LOL, we have a full ecological system in Brawl now. I just met a Hunter faking a leaper deck. Drops two mech warpers and then a demolisher. Then concedes.

This brawl is really ingenious because with only 2 cards you HAVE to commit to a gimmick in some form or another. Then all the broken gimmicks counter each other out in the meta. It really is some of the most fun, I've had playing brawls ever. You counter gimmick X with Y, but that loses to Z, which loses X which can beat Z depending on the hand, etc.

And because the games are quick generally, you can see immediately if you have a chance or not and just concede if your gimmick is beaten.

bjaelke

This brawl is really ingenious because with only 2 cards you HAVE to commit to a gimmick in some form or another. Then all the broken gimmicks counter each other out in the meta. It really is some of the most fun, I've had playing brawls ever. You counter gimmick X with Y, but that loses to Z, which loses X which can beat Z depending on the hand, etc.

And because the games are quick generally, you can see immediately if you have a chance or not and just concede if your gimmick is beaten.

Is it really a gimmick if half the playerbase is running mech warper hunter?

not really following a list, made it on the first day of the expansion by just throwing in 1 each of the cthun cards and some other more zoo type stuff, but i've refined it a bunch since then getting rid of most of the 1 drops and knife juggler and councilman.

it's probably pretty standard now though, anybody have any suggestions? my goal is just getting rank 15 this month.

i think right now maybe sylvanas is actually the odd one out... or maybe i'm just bad at knowing when to play her, but it seems like I can never get her deathrattle to hit anything.

If that's the case, then I'd say you'd know what your deck needs more than most. Granted, there might be other dexk lists out there that could give you some ideas. Whenever I build a deck, I see what's currently working for that class and go from there. As for direct ideas, I can't help you there.

As for Sylvanas, I'd say it's fine if she's not getting a target every game. If you're running a really heavy control deck, especially with C'Thun, Sylvanas does her job if she gets hit with removal. That way your other heavy hitting cards have a better chance to do their job. But that's just me.

bjaelke

I'm disappointed Sylvanas doesn't take over C'thun mid turn like she does with Yogg.

Each spell cast by Yogg is treated individually by the game meaning that a death phase can occur while Yogg is still casting rather than having to handle the entire death phase after the battlecry has concluded (C'Thun).

Dahbomb

Rest in peace one of the best Brawls.

Blizzard probably spent the least effort in this Brawl yet this ended up being one of the better ones (well, danker ones lets just say).

Top Bottom