• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

CisBL7xWsAI3PJU.jpg:large

Why?

At least it happened on turn 1 so you can just concede and go again

Rosenskjold

But everyone has been going on and on here about how any old Shaman deck should be godly? Make up your mind people, is the problem my deck or isn't it?

I think you need to ask yourself if you're enjoying this game at all. If you play your turns fast because you think it's boring to analyse the different plays and outcomes, then maybe the game isn't for you?

Everyone can get caught up in the rage, believe me I know, but if you don't enjoy the analysing part of the game, you'll probably just go from one deck to another hoping to find a deck that always wins, but there's no deck, because secret pala is out ! (Thank God!)

If any advice is taken for new players, it should be to slow down their gameplay.

When you're ahead you mainly need to focus on thinking about what your opponent can do to get back in the game. Sometimes if a holy nova is the only way they clear the board, you minimize it's impact. And sometimes if minimizing holy nova's impact may cause you to actually lose the game, you ignore that holy nova might come down and hope they don't have it.

When you're behind you need to focus on thinking about what you need to do to get back in the game. You sometimes have to hold onto cards to hope for a bigger impact later down the road. Like in shaman vs shaman, lightning storm is a key card for both when you're ahead and when you're behind. You will often want to hold onto that card for the right moment.

Just knowing the match ups is important too. Knowing that lightning storm is valuable vs shaman but relatively weak vs priest can be the difference in playing lightning storm or using your board to clear.

In short, utilizing all your time is not only going to let you focus on long term strategy (like how you win the game in the long term), but it's also going to cut down significantly on silly mistakes.

Tarazet

Rafaam is slower than even Varian. That deck does run a few taunts and charge minions for Varian to hit something that can impact the board in a significant way on the same turn.

Varian, Rafaam, Ysera, they're all really slow which is why it puzzles me why any of them are run in a tempo list. Even North Sea Kraken is probably more effective in most situations.

Levi

Banned
Varian, Rafaam, Ysera, they're all really slow which is why it puzzles me why any of them are run in a tempo list. Even North Sea Kraken is probably more effective in most situations.

The "Tempo" warrior wins by building up a board while clearing their opponents in the early to mid game and crushing them with big drops in the late game. Ragnaros and Grom act as finishers, while Varian is a catch-up mechanic and win condition all in one.

Rafaam is good in the mirror if you're seeing a ton of those, but otherwise I think Varian is a better choice.

fertygo

Can I see your midrange Shaman deck?

Sorry for late respond, here's my deck

Y3QBRFH.png

Its missing some optimal card that I don't have like Doomhammer, 2nd Manatide, and maybe 2nd Thunderbluff

Btw @Danj

its a strong deck but at very minimum you should read opponent turn too, like anticipating board clear.. put minion that not die with specific removal and all that

But everyone has been going on and on here about how any old Shaman deck should be godly? Make up your mind people, is the problem my deck or isn't it?

Please don't play Shaman. There's so many aggro cunts out there playing the damn class that every game is against green Jesus these days.

If you can't win with a Shaman deck then it's God's way of telling that another class is your calling.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Should I disenchant Emperor Thaurissan? I got it for beating the first wing of the adventure but it doesn't seem that good? And I wouldn't use it for my hunter, the dust would really help me out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Should I disenchant Emperor Thaurissan? I got it for beating the first wing of the adventure but it doesn't seem that good?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

No, disenchant some other adventure legendary. Granted it's not a great hunter card but it's one of the most hated legendaries in the game.

Shaman is probably the worst way to learn how to play HS, besides dealing with overload, you wont learn much about how to control a board.

Dealing with overload is easy, you just need to slow down and think ahead. Perhaps for brand new players shaman isn't a great choice. But someone playing a couple months who just lacks some of the finer points, I think it's fine.

I think the difference between someone hitting rank 15 and going to rank 5 is just getting your fundamentals down well.

fertygo

Shaman is probably the worst way to learn how to play HS, besides dealing with overload, you wont learn much about how to control a board.

He already play 2 year tho, and midrange shaman is fine for fundamental.. its easy mode zoo with stronger card but you care about positioning, which card to use.. overload management.. ita not secret pally, altho Trogg and totem golem made it close at 1-2-3 play

clav

What I noticed is that you take your turns really fast.

Always take your time, when it's not your turn your eyes need to be fixed on their hand. For example if a priest didn't mulligan a card but also didn't play it in their first 3 turns and you're playing shaman you can be pretty sure it's some form of board clear.

Think things through. Sometimes a play is obvious but use your turn to plan ahead.

For someone who just started learning + actually playing Priest (nearing 50 wins), yeah you really do need to take all your time for some decks out there. Make one wrong move, and it's game over.

I played a crappy midrange Paladin before WoToG to 600 wins+ without Tirion, and playing that is nothing compared to combo heavy classes.

If you want to play a deck that doesn't require thinking, as I always say, play Zoolock.

I keep noticing Zoo players quitting suddenly when I'm still planning out my turn. Kinda hilarious.

You're looking at Shaman the wrong way if all you want are wins for throwing stuff down.

Just play zoo then. Look at mana crystal count. Play card on curve. Hit face and make valuable trades. AKA vomit on board.

Shaman requires a little bit more thinking due to overload. You have to plan out your play not only the current turn, but also the next turn especially when you don't have any cards that can unlock overloaded mana crystals.

Levi

Banned

I learned to play the game with a cheap, pre-GVG control mage deck I found on Icy Veins. I wish I could find it again, I had a lot of fun with it.

I've seen the advice, which I agree with, that new players should start with zoo, as it is both inexpensive to build and also rewards decision making, unlike face hunter or other newbie decks that are more one-dimensional.

Ken

rank 8 highest i've been *-*

also shaman + overload confuses me but I probably have less than 30 shaman games. i only play it when i feel like hearing al'akir's entrance

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I learned to play the game with a cheap, pre-GVG control mage deck I found on Icy Veins. I wish I could find it again, I had a lot of fun with it.

I've seen the advice, which I agree with, that new players should start with zoo, as it is both inexpensive to build and also rewards decision making, unlike face hunter or other newbie decks that are more one-dimensional.

Agree with this sentiment. If you can win consistently with Zoo you have gained a lot of understanding about the game. I've been playing since forever and I still mess up when playing zoo and control decks sometimes. This is probably why I haven't hit legend, that and not playing enough games each season cause reasons. The deck is versatile and you WON'T be able to win by only pursuing one goal (face or control), you have to understand both and when to change strategies during a game. Get that part down and you're likely a much better player than when you started.

fertygo

Dumb zoo player gonna play forbidden ritual at turn 4 to blessed with holy novas

Or play KJ to get killed at turn 2, shit happen at high teen rank

Btw my weakness playing zoo still too passive sometime to overextend into lethal, I holding PO's too long and not just gamble into next turn charge topdeck, lost me many games >_>

any tips for that?

Aggro Shaman maybe, but midrange and slower Shaman decks are still some of the board control heavy decks in Hearthstone. Shaman has almost always been that way until the face deck was born.

Pooya

Should I disenchant Emperor Thaurissan? I got it for beating the first wing of the adventure but it doesn't seem that good? And I wouldn't use it for my hunter, the dust would really help me out.

Really dude? It's the best card, read the text, it's borderline broken. Dust majordomo instead. Keep in mind that a legendary is worth 1600 dust and you only get a pitiful 400 dust from it, it's not worthwhile to de legendary card.

Second tip, don't de cards with the mentality that they are not good for the deck you're playing right now, you will regret later.

f0rk

You're looking at Shaman the wrong way if all you want are wins for throwing stuff down.

That's all they seem to do against me. If I don't have a War Axe straight away I immediately get behind to a Trogg into 2 mana 3/4 into Flametounge. Then they Hex my taunt and I need to use 3 cards to stabilize.

Then when I set up Patron on turn 6/7 they just lightning storm.

I'm not salty about being stuck at rank 17/16 at all, honest

clav

https://youtu.be/oXrXfB5dUDc

That's all they seem to do against me. If I don't have a War Axe straight away I immediately get behind to a Trogg into 2 mana 3/4 into Flametounge. Then they Hex my taunt and I need to use 3 cards to stabilize.

Patron Warrior doesn't seem like a good matchup to Shaman.

As someone told me earlier about my questions with Priest, sometimes you're just playing the wrong deck.

I guess try to clear off the board of totems and maybe change up your hero power if you need to spawn more Patrons.

Key to winning is comboing, so if you can get more cards to answer the board, you're set.

fertygo

Didn't warrior always had FWA at opening hand tho, always

btw Hex to 3-4 drop seem like inefficient move for their part, Ravaging Ghoul is the key to beat Shaman/zoo, especially zoo its lopsided matchup now

Ketch

could they ever feasibly introduce a new class?

would it be tantamount to adding a new color to mtg?

I feel like there's no way they could add a balanced hero power...

how about a death knight with death coil hero power: 2 mana deal 1 damage to face heal 1 damage to yourself.

f0rk

Patron Warrior doesn't seem like a good matchup to Shaman.

As someone told me earlier about my questions with Priest, sometimes you're just playing the wrong deck.

I guess try to clear off the board of totems and maybe change up your hero power if you need to spawn more Patrons.

Yeah maybe I need to go back to Zoo to get higher. Most match ups I see seem like up hill struggles

fertygo

how about a death knight with death coil hero power: 2 mana deal 1 damage to face heal 1 damage to yourself.

Blizz always refuse entertaining this idea, it seem they knew they already have trouble to balancing as it is

Duelyst added a second set of hero powers, and most of them are fine. A few need tweaking, but it's totally feasible.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I think my deck is looking much better now, I've spent a lot of time on it today: https://i.imgur.com/BLvIOpd.png. Still missing a few staples according to my guide but I'm happy with my progress considering it was absolute trash this morning. I currently have 190 dust and I think I want to grab a Call of the Wild next. I know people say to save dust but honestly I'd rather just have a good deck I can play and learn the game with.

I've won a bunch of games with it in ranked, but I never quite manage to pull off 3 wins in a row to advance to rank 19, I feel like I'll be stuck at 20 for awhile but I don't feel like I'm getting out decked constantly now, although I definitely did one match where it was a mirror but he had the entire deck I'm working towards. I even won one game in arena before getting knocked out, sadly I picked my deck and lost some games on day one before I knew a thing, I wish I hadn't done that as I feel I could have done better with my knowledge now, but hey I guess one win is better than nothing, it gave me a deck and 40 dust.

My plan now is to save my gold and start buying the adventures, I need wing 3 of LoE for Huge Toad which is going to take awhile I guess.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I've been playing Miracle Rogue and I've dropped from 9 to 15. I've always reached a point in the game where I say "I just need one more _____". A spell, a minion, a heal, always something. But something just clicked. My minions are so threatening that I don't actually need to use my own minions to fight for the board. I can use my spells to do that and my opponent can make trades while I go face. The Mulligans are clicking too. I'm starting to think im supposed to just be playing normal rogue and drawing into the combo oiedes. Not keeping them in my hand. Minions and FoK.

Am I rigt on this?

Real quick aside. The best way to learn how to play Hearthstone. Is to play every deck at least a few games. Once you know what you're opponent wants to do and what their win conditions are. You can play around them.

One win away from rank 10, and I lose to a hail Mary Yogg-Saron that double Pyroblasts me.

Won the next match though, so I'm knocking on that door again.

I've been playing Miracle Rogue and I've dropped from 9 to 15. I've always reached a point in the game where I say "I just need one more _____". A spell, a minion, a heal, always something. But something just clicked. My minions are so threatening that I don't actually need to use my own minions to fight for the board. I can use my spells to do that and my opponent can make trades while I go face. The Mulligans are clicking too. I'm starting to think im supposed to just be playing normal rogue and drawing into the combo oiedes. Not keeping them in my hand. Minions and FoK.

Am I rigt on this?

Real quick aside. The best way to learn how to play Hearthstone. Is to play every deck at least a few games. Once you know what you're opponent wants to do and what their win conditions are. You can play around them.

One of rogue's strengths is that it uses a lot of removal to deal with enemy minions. So once you're ahead you can keep hitting face while using removal, so you can get additional value out of the minions you do run.

But you also have to consider whether cashing in the minion and saving the removal for cycling or face damage is better. Rogue is pretty skill intense because there are a lot of decisions to be made like that.

fertygo

Well I think my deck is looking much better now, I've spent a lot of time on it today: https://i.imgur.com/BLvIOpd.png. Still missing a few staples according to my guide but I'm happy with my progress considering it was absolute trash this morning. I currently have 190 dust and I think I want to grab a Call of the Wild next. I know people say to save dust but honestly I'd rather just have a good deck I can play and learn the game with.

I've won a bunch of games with it in ranked, but I never quite manage to pull off 3 wins in a row to advance to rank 19, I feel like I'll be stuck at 20 for awhile but I don't feel like I'm getting out decked constantly now, although I definitely did one match where it was a mirror but he had the entire deck I'm working towards. I even won one game in arena before getting knocked out, sadly I picked my deck and lost some games on day one before I knew a thing, I wish I hadn't done that as I feel I could have done better with my knowledge now, but hey I guess one win is better than nothing, it gave me a deck and 40 dust.

My plan now is to save my gold and start buying the adventures, I need wing 3 of LoE for Huge Toad which is going to take awhile I guess.
Dude you two Call of the Wild away for high rank worthy deck, keep grinding!

KuroNeeko

I think the best way to learn how to play Hearthstone is to just play a lot. You learn by experience. First, learn what you like. Then, learn about mana curve and the cards in your list. Then learn about how opponents can and do respond to your plays / initiate their own threats. Then learn how to play around them.

You could force yourself to play through all the different lists, but that sounds like a lot of work and I don't want to play Paladin... Unless you're looking to go pro, I'd play whatever you have the most fun with. I finally disenchanted my golden Tirion (accidental craft) and made Yogg-saron. Tirion is one of the best legendaries in the game, but I've already used Yoggs over the span of two days than the weeks I had Tirion.

I'm considering just dusting everything in Paladin. The only thing that looks any fun is Murloc Pally. Man, I wish Lightlord was in another class....

It's possible, but I don't know what a new class would offer that current classes don't. Look at Priest / Rogue, two classes that have struggled to find an identity. Even now they overlap with steal / deathrattle effects. Sure, priests can heal and rogues have combo, but now we have Museum Curator / Journey Below, Huckster / Shifting Shade, Burgle / Thoughtsteal.

A new class would be impossible to balance or introduce into Wild. You'd have to add a bunch of new cards to standard as well.

I could see it as something happening in a few years when Hearthstone starts going on the decline as a way to spur sales, but probably not before then.

NO!

NOOO!

NOOOOOO!

I wouldn't recommend it. He isn't used as often now, but if you're ever thinking about playing mage or non-zoo warlock, you'll probably need him. He's way, way too good to dust right now.

I think I hit some kind of bottle neck and keep getting to rank 17ish, lose a bunch and then tilt big time and drop back to 19~20. Don't know how this keeps happening with my tempo/reno mage decks. Somehow I always get the big drops without early game play and the enemy ALWAYS get the perfect answer to whatever I am doing, including the dozen or so warriors I've face so far today EVERY SINGLE ONE pulls a fiery win axe turn two, every mage have flamestrike on turn 7, everybody always have the perfect removal for my threats immediately.

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I am a pretty shitty player and there is just not much that I can do about it. These quests of win x game with y class doesn't help when I am not good with the decks.

Owzers

I finally start winning as a c'thun warrior and i run into N'zoth paladin and dragon priest with two dragon 1 drops back to back with power word on one. So that went well. Match making shenanigans are real based on two games.

bord

Neo Member
How can anyone possibly learn to think of all that in the span of the 90 seconds that you have to take your turn??

Is there some sort of list of rules of thumb, or flash cards, or something?

When you get familiar with the deck, you won't need to think of all these scenarios. You'll just know when you see it. You're playing a decent deck and you're struggling to get past Rank 15. That tells me you need to work on your fundamentals more than anything. Advice on specific plays won't be that helpful at this stage. A lot of the mistakes made at your rank are because of a lack of fundamentals and, for a deck like Midrange Shaman, board control and mana efficiency are 95% of everything you need to know.

Don't know if you've seen this before, but Trump has a series that goes over these things:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvEIxIeBRKSjprrvlbAcbVjzHsnH9PjDX

Beyond that, just slow down. It looks like you're just throwing cards out there. If you're not putting much thought into your turns, don't be surprised when you get outplayed. The next step after thinking about your turn and weighing up your all options is thinking about what your opponent will do next turn. Think about how your opponent is going to interact with what you're planning to do this turn, and use that to help you make decisions. When you think about your turns and make mistakes, it becomes easier to recognise those mistakes. Whereas if you don't think things through and then things go wrong, you're never going to get better because you're not alert enough to even recognise that you've made a mistake. So you'll end up doing the same thing again -- and again.

Owzers

That double sorcerers apprentice, double arcane intellect, new spell damage kobold, double torch, then frost bolt, then ice lance lethal in one turn thanks to emperor, Alex, Pyroblast.

Freeze mages find new ways of being digusting. I was one mana short of being able to use my c'thun armor person.

RANK TEN.

LET'S GO.

Added a C'Thun Tempo Mage and a Midrange Call of the Wild Hunter deck to my Totem Shaman, and now I have a decent lineup of decks I feel.

It felt so good getting lethal off Unleash the Hounds...
Grats! The best is when you get lethal off of UTH solely because your opponent dumped his hand, and if he had just kept his initial board you would have lost.

fertygo

I can made midrange hunter with crafting call, but man.. does I want another damage glory deck.. another option is crafting 2 cabal, but I 2 legendary away for decent priest deck.

I few piece away from dragon priest netdeck tho, help me decide guise.

Top Bottom