• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Levi

Banned
Every Druid I encounter plays C'Thun.

Are you seeing much Druid? Because I'm not. I see more Hunter and Priest these days than Druid. Seems at the meta stabilizes Druid is getting worse and worse while those two classes are getting (relatively) better.

Ladekabel

Are you seeing much Druid? Because I'm not. I see more Hunter and Priest these days than Druid. Seems at the meta stabilizes Druid is getting worse and worse while those two classes are getting (relatively) better.

I'm still strolling around Rank 15-13 in EU thanks to misplays and terrible luck. Every third match is against a Druid. And they have ridicilious opnenings.

Now that I hit rank 5 (first timer!) I want to try out some other decks. I don't spend money on packs, I do buy the adventures so I don't want to waste too much dust on what I go to next. I have over 5,000 dust at the moment so what is a deck that is fun and will have long term viability? Miracle Rouge? N'Zoth Rouge? Tempo warrior? Midrange Hunter? Shadow Preist?

I think I have everything needed for a decent mage deck so I may go that route. Anyone have a suggested tempo Mage list?

Rosenskjold

Reached a milestone today, feels good finally moving away from bottom ranks :D

GTkOPmS.jpg

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone confirm you get Quick Shot from Blackrock Depths? I have £5 in my Android account from that survey app which I don't mind spending to get Quick Shot.

Dahbomb

Can someone confirm you get Quick Shot from Blackrock Depths? I have £5 in my Android account from that survey app which I don't mind spending to get Quick Shot.
That's how it starts...

The fever. The greed.

The feeling of powerlessness.

That turns good men...

Dank.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it's blackrock

OK thanks, I'll grab it now.

That's how it starts...

The fever. The greed.

The feeling of powerlessness.

That turns good men...

Dank.

Haha, well hopefully not! I don't really consider the Android credit as real money so it may as well get me a card I need as apparently it doesn't have a good replacement.

pantsmith

What new decks is everyone into?

I'm really into deathrattle rogue. Love it.

Its not especially great all of the time, but the little bit of randomness it runs makes your good rounds feel amazing.

cHinzo

Found the dirty Huntard player guys!

Its not especially great all of the time, but the little bit of randomness it runs makes your good rounds feel amazing.
I like N'Zoth Paladin and the Yogg Huntard deck myself. Yogg to troll, have fun and occasionally win. N'Zoth to play control and have fun while winning a lot. :D

Ladekabel

Anyone got a good deck list for Skelesaurus Hex? He's kicking my ass. Been looking online but most of the decks I find are freeze mages and I don't have Ice Block.

Levi

Banned

Tempo Warrior for laddering, Pirate Warrior for fun.

I've also liked Beast Druid, C'thun Warrior and Control Paladin (both with and without N'zoth).

Anyone got a good deck list for Skelesaurus Hex? He's kicking my ass. Been looking online but most of the decks I find are freeze mages and I don't have Ice Block.
I remember beating him, but I don't remember what his deck is - refresh my memory? Is it the free creatures one?

Right so I don't have all the cards I need for the full deck, can anyone help me replace what I miss with free ones so I can start the adventure at least.

What I have: https://i.imgur.com/Tz0W7xH.png

What I'm aiming for: http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/fluffys-standard-midrange-hunter-may-2016-season-26/

Basically I need free alternatives for King's Elekk, Huge Toad, Ram Wrangler, Flame Juggler.
Here's the problem. Your deck has ONE 2-mana card, and it's Explosive Trap. You filled space with a bunch of 5-drops, and that's not going to work. You need early plays. Everything you listed above, except for Ram Wrangler, is a common - get out there and craft them. Use Hunter's Mark instead of Arcane Shot, though. That spell sucks.

clav

Here's the problem. Your deck has ONE 2-mana card, and it's Explosive Trap. You filled space with a bunch of 5-drops, and that's not going to work.

Once again, non-arena players strats really show.

Some people need to play arena in order to get a sense of how to deck build.

Once again, non-arena players strats really show.

Some people need to play arena.
Arena really taught me a lot about deck-building. I still get really greedy in Arena sometimes and pay for it, though.

Also, if I put 4-5 1-drops in my Arena deck, I never draw any. If I put 1, I draw it half the time. I feel like the game has a hidden draw code...

Even though Arena has a lot of RNG BS, I agree that it's the best way to get good at the game and understand how it works. If you're consistently going less than even (or insert some other arbitrary metric), you probably lack a basic understanding of the game.

Ladekabel

I remember beating him, but I don't remember what his deck is - refresh my memory? Is it the free creatures one?

I think in normal mode both players get a card that costs zero. I'm doing heroic currently and every turn it gets a random card that costs zero. Horrible rng can really fuck you up. Almost had him once but I was missing two damage.

I think in normal mode both players get a card that costs zero. I'm doing heroic currently and every turn it gets a random card that costs zero. Horrible rng can really fuck you up. Almost had him once but I was missing two damage.
In Heroic, only he gets the free card? lol

Freeze Mage sounds like a good strategy.

clav

Arena really taught me a lot about deck-building. I still get really greedy in Arena sometimes and pay for it, though.

Also, if I put 4-5 1-drops in my Arena deck, I never draw any. If I put 1, I draw it half the time. I feel like the game has a hidden draw code...

Oh yes. The feeling of the game hates you.

I had many times an arena deck that had 3 late game cards, 1-2 5 drops and a bunch of 2-3 draws.

Drew from the bottom for a 0-3 run.

Nothing like Hearthstone salt and card draws.

Speaking of Arena, my last run went 10-3 with this deck.

Thought it was decent although got destroyed by a Paladin in the end.

I used a Debuff Paladin deck. I can't remember the specifics, and there's no way that it was the optimal deck, but you definitely want Humility, Aldor, Equality, and Keeper. I also had Repentance and Sacred Trial and Mad Scientist to pull them out (didn't have Mysterious Challenger at the time). You also want quality taunts like Belcher, Sunwalker, and Tirion and KT to rez them. Fill the rest with board wipes like Wild Pyro, Doomsayer, and Consecration. It took a few tries, but I eventually won off of Sacred Trial killing his King Krush.

I used a Debuff Paladin deck. I can't remember the specifics, and there's no way that it was the optimal deck, but you definitely want Humility, Aldor, Equality, and Keeper. I also had Repentance and Sacred Trial and Mad Scientist to pull them out (didn't have Mysterious Challenger at the time). You also want quality taunts like Belcher, Sunwalker, and Tirion and KT to rez them. Fill the rest with board wipes like Wild Pyro, Doomsayer, and Consecration. It took a few tries, but I eventually won off of Sacred Trial killing his King Krush.
But KT glitches the game.

Danj

OK so as Karsticles suggested I recorded some gameplay and uploaded to YouTube. This was recorded with Microsoft's Game DVR function in Windows 10 which apparently cuts off after an hour which is why the video ends so abruptly (won't be using that again, but at least I got a usable video file out of it).

Basically this video is me not being able to get past Rank 15 with this Shaman deck which according to everyone and their dog on here should be a piece of cake because apparently everything Shaman can get you to Legend right now or something.

clav

This was recorded with Microsoft's Game DVR function in Windows 10 which apparently cuts off after an hour which is why the video ends so abruptly (won't be using that again, but at least I got a usable video file out of it).

You can change the recording time to 2 hours.

I think the feature is fantastic as I don't have to install software to gain a recording feature.

Go to the Xbox app and tweak the settings there.

Just jumped around the video.

Save your board clears when you see your opponent has exhausted cards. For a Zoo deck, primary targets are Sea Giants, Doomguard, and the Darkshire Council dude for Hex or Lightning Bolt or Rockbiter targets. Also note when Forbidden Ritual is played.

Also saw you didn't play Argent Squire in the first game for a while. It's OK to play cards not on curve if they fit your strategy. The Flame Totem should always be a surprise buff kinda like Raid Leader.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
OK so as Karsticles suggested I recorded some gameplay and uploaded to YouTube. This was recorded with Microsoft's Game DVR function in Windows 10 which apparently cuts off after an hour which is why the video ends so abruptly (won't be using that again, but at least I got a usable video file out of it).

Basically this video is me not being able to get past Rank 15 with this Shaman deck which according to everyone and their dog on here should be a piece of cake because apparently everything Shaman can get you to Legend right now or something.

I only watched the first game, and even though you won it, everything you did with that Flame tongue Totem was completely wrong. You kept it in your opening Mulligan when it is pretty bad on curve, and then you played it before the Argent Squire. If you had played the Squire first you would have killed the pyro with three things on the board.

Skelesaurus cheats so you have to cheat him. But the important part is the debuffs. I don't remember if KT even hit the board or not when I beat him.
I don't get the point of playing, then.

If you use Lightning Storm, it should be to clear the board. Look at 39:17. That's a game-losing decision. You got lucky and killed a Flame Juggler for 5 mana. Think about what else you can do with 5 mana in this game. Flametongue Totem was undoubtedly the better play there. At 55:47, you put out Flame Juggler and then kill the 2/3. But you were going to kill the 2/3 no matter what, so you should have killed the 2/3 and THEN played the Flame Juggler. That's 1 wasted damage! 56:50 you play Tuskar Totemic and Hero Power. This is your board at the end of that:

3/2
1/1
0/2

Now compare that to if you had used Tunnel Trogg + Spirit Wolves:

3/3
2/3
2/3

You played a clearly inferior turn. Tuskar is best when you already have some board so you can benefit from what he drops in some way.

Just a few observations on a skim. You aren't maximizing how your cards are used.

Your first problem is using a Shaman deck without using two Faceless Flamewreaths.
Oh, definitely this.

I'm watching the second game now, where you played against Zoo. You Coined out Flame Juggler after he played Flame Imp on turn 1 when you had Argent Squire and Tunnel Trogg in hand. I probably would've just played the Argent Squire since it has a reasonable chance of trading 1:1 with Flame Imp. If you played AS on turn 1 and then on turn 2 you could play Flame Juggler and then attack whichever minion (by that time he had a Direwolf on board as well) it hits with AS and you'd have a 1/1 and a 2/3 to challenge whatever he has left. You then Lightning Stormed a board with 2 minions where Storm only had a chance at killing 1 of them. You're going up against Zoo, wait till he floods the board to use AOEs. Otherwise, you're defenseless later.

Danj

Your first problem is using a Shaman deck without using two Faceless Flamewreaths.

But everyone has been going on and on here about how any old Shaman deck should be godly? Make up your mind people, is the problem my deck or isn't it?

How about this one then, that's got two Flamewreathed Faceless in it?

Dahbomb

Alright I skimmed through that video and I have to say that you are doing a lot of incorrect plays.

Off the top of my head:

*Constantly over extending on to the board against Priest with 3 HP minions then getting clapped by Excavated Evil. You don't need to do that, just hero power spam when you have two minions and they have none.

*Improper usage of Flametongue, Zealous already pointed out some issues but more importantly you mess up placement. You want to play Flametongue on left side and then new minions on the left of that so that when you spawn totems they spawn on the right side of the Flametongue.

*Improper usage of Rockbiter. You occasionally use Rockbiter when you don't need to, it could've been better saved for Doomhammer later on. Only use Rockbiter when you have to.

*Mismanagement of overload. You constantly put yourself in bad overload situations when you didn't need to. An example is turn 6 you had board with Doomhammer and Thunderbluff in hand, you played Doomhammer and then next turn couldn't do Thuderbluff plus hero power.

*Improper usage of Lightning Storm. You should always hero power to have a chance at rolling Spell power Totem then use Lightning Storm. There were many chances for you to do this but you failed to do it and then got punished when your LS didn't kill much.

*Speaking of LightniNG Storm, in game two you were against Warlock and during Mulligan phase you had Lightning Storm and two Troggs in hand. You discards the LS AND a Trogg. That was a big mistake as it was likely to be Zoolock (if it wasn't then you were favored to win anyway so keeping LS wouldn't have mattered) and of course you get punished as its a Zoolock and you don't have LS. That game you would have won if you kept at least the LS.

*You are too trigger happy on the Hex, need to save it for bigger targets.

There were quite a few matches in there you had no business winning but won anyway because of Shaman. Lots of more subtle misplace involving trading, board positioning, mulligans and decisions on how to control their board and manage your own.

It's a ruthless analysis but that's how you get better.

But everyone has been going on and on here about how any old Shaman deck should be godly? Make up your mind people, is the problem my deck or isn't it?

How about this one then, that's got two Flamewreathed Faceless in it?
Well every competitive Shaman deck has Faceless so that was the main assumption.

Thouhh the real problem are the plays, less so the deck.

Danj

Lots of more subtle misplace involving trading, board positioning, mulligans and decisions on how to control their board and manage your own.

It's a ruthless analysis but that's how you get better.

How can anyone possibly learn to think of all that in the span of the 90 seconds that you have to take your turn??

Is there some sort of list of rules of thumb, or flash cards, or something?

Dahbomb

How can anyone possibly learn to think of all that in the span of the 90 seconds that you have to take your turn??

A lot of it comes from experience and feel of the situation.

Like I gave you a couple of rule of thumbs already: Use hero power before attempting a LS and positioning Flametongues on left side so Totems appear on its right maximizing value.

But rule of thumbs don't always apply and every situation is unique.

You also have the opponent's turn to think. And in a lot of cases a decision is pretty straightforward as there aren't a lot of choices to make.

Like that other person pointed out, Zoo played a Flame Imp and you had both Argent and Trogg. Trogg died for free against Flame Imp, Argent Squire didn't so you made a bad play there. You always want to play a card that's tough for your opponent to deal with using their board. Of course if you had let's say Trogg plus Lightning Bolt in hand you could've instead did Trogg coin Bolt. Again that's no hard and fast rule, it comes from analysing the situation and your options.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I get that you are frustrated but you don't have any reason to start casting that in our direction. We don't have any obligation to help you so you should try to be thankful that you're getting the advice that you are.

My honest recommendation is that you watch streamers and examine your own play. Figure out what is and isn't working and adjust and experiment accordingly. Many of us haven't had the benefit of being coached by others and we have broken through the Rank 15 wall just fine.

I know this isn't the first time you've asked or received help in this thread. If you don't start looking at your own play first then you aren't going to improve.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Played a tense game as N'Zoth Pally against a C'thun priest. I'm not running all the usual deathrattles in the deck so I knew I would get exactly Cairne, Tirion and Sylvannas, unless he had a second Entomb for Tirion (first was used on Justicar which is probably why he was able to keep alive so long). I delayed until fatigue and dropped him. He didn't have an answer execpt his 2nd C'thun (now 22/22). I survived with 3 HP, and was able to kill him after the next couple turns.

My takeaway: Forbidden healing is broke AF. People who teched their decks against this in that recent tourney were right to do so. It is insane how much healing Forbidden Healing allows. The spell is insanely versatile and can pretty much always allow you get into the late game versus most mid game decks. That spell is insanely overboard for paladin. Why wasn't this a priest card? Just because of Auchenai? That's a card restricting your design space right there. Best heal in the game is a paladin heal, despite the healing class existing.

FeD.nL

What I noticed is that you take your turns really fast.

Always take your time, when it's not your turn your eyes need to be fixed on their hand. For example if a priest didn't mulligan a card but also didn't play it in their first 3 turns and you're playing shaman you can be pretty sure it's some form of board clear.

Think things through. Sometimes a play is obvious but use your turn to plan ahead.

embalm

The longer you play the more natural it becomes. Today you try to think about it. Tomorrow it's second nature. It also helps to stick to a single deck.

These are all new things for people new to shaman, but they aren't new concepts entirely.

Some decks don't care about positioning at all. Yet Zoo and Shaman have long relied on Flametongues, Dire Wolf, and Argent Defender to buff minions making the positioning second nature once you really start playing those decks a lot.

Everyone knows to expect the turn 7 Flamestrike from a mage after playing for a few days or weeks. First you get your board cleared by it and get pissed. Then you start reminding yourself not to play your entire hand on turn 7 or you trade into his minions, making it a weaker flamestrike. Finally you actually start to predict whether it's in your opponents hand on turn 7 and make even better plays. As you play you grow more accurate at this predicting.

Play that shaman deck for 2 weeks and think through your own plays before you do anything. Then rewatch that video you posted and you'll laugh it up at yourself.

First game... where can one start. I'll skip mulligan cause I haven't played the deck. With FTT you're going to want to get some immediate value out of it when you play it. Additional face damage off 1 minion is not worth it. That is why you want to play it into 2 minions when you have the opportunity. Nothing about the opponent's play should have had you playing FTT on turn 2. Even hero power would have been stronger there, perhaps even over playing the argent squire since it uses your mana more efficiently. Next turn you could have played FTT and the argent squire.

Fast forward to 5 mana. If you played efficiently with your resources you would be in a much better spot here. Yet you still manage to have 5 minions on board. Of course you should be thinking about holy nova. But from that position, using both rockbiter and divine shield... meh. I might have lightning stormed and rockbitered. Not pretty but definitely better than walking into a huge board clear. You would have gotten 8 face damage as well. And its not a great move either way, but at least not lightning stormign would let you play your thunderbluff valiant, but oh wait, you didn't even play thunderbluff valiant next turn.

Yeah... you have lots to work on. You'll get there. Try slowing down your plays a lot. Take your entire turn if necessary. In fact, just try not making a move every turn before you think about the turn for at least 45 seconds.

Top Bottom