• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Rosenskjold

The struggle is real

Hfdbr6G.jpg

(trying to study while also wanting to learn tempo warrior)

Warxard

Banned
This Priest thought he had me once he put down Cthun.

Just took a 16 damage blast for the sake of using Execution. Time to A R M O R U P

Soon as I say I'm doing good in arena, I lose one game to being curved out while only drawing 4, 5 and 6 drops then lose another disconnecting. Never draw Deathwing when relevant either in my opening hand or nowhere at all.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
And that's why it isn't as broken in Arena. Rarity has a lot to say despite Blizzard neglecting it.

People are redefining what is meant by "broken in Arena" here from what the original context was.

If your definition of "broken in Arena" is essentially what card swings/defines games in arena more than any other, then Muster for Battle isn't that card. It's a rare, which means most Paladin drafts won't even carry it. Under this definition, cards like Flamestrike and Keeper of Uldaman have a much greater impact and are more "broken".

But the original conversation here was simply, what is the most powerful individual card in arena? Muster for Battle had the absolute highest rating on HearthArena's tier list, even higher than Dr. Boom.

Levi

Banned
inc golden cursed sword

I've only lost one game (of over 70) to Malkorok giving me a cursed blade. Except for that one game, the other times I've gotten Cursed Blade I either won despite the extra damage, or was able to over write the weapon.

I think getting that Shaman weapon that replaces your hero power is worse in a lot of situations.

People are redefining what is meant by "broken in Arena" here from what the original context was.

If your definition of "broken in Arena" is essentially what card swings/defines games in arena more than any other, then Muster for Battle isn't that card. It's a rare, which means most Paladin drafts won't even carry it. Under this definition, cards like Flamestrike and Keeper of Uldaman have a much greater impact and are more "broken".

But the original conversation here was simply, what is the most powerful individual card in arena? Muster for Battle had the absolute highest rating on HearthArena's tier list, even higher than Dr. Boom.

in MTG those are called bombs in draft. The meat of your deck is commons and uncommons but then there's this one bomb that swings games in your favour.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think getting that Shaman weapon that replaces your hero power is worse in a lot of situations.

Really? I would have figured that Tempo Warrior doesn't have as much of an attachment to their hero power as Control Warrior would.

Pooya

mana wyrm and tunnel trogg, growing 1 drops are just awful awful design. It's like they didn't learn anything from undertaker. Losing to mana wyrm or tunnel troggs behind mirror image/feral spirit it's so cheap. 1 drops hitting you for 10 in first 3 turns, seems fine...

scarlet

That feeling when you won a tight match is incredible.

We had like 2/3 cards left and he had golden monkey and 6 minions and I had none, but I have 2 fireballs with 3 mana drops (thanks thaurissan) and 2 roaring torches

He had 24 hp left and I was down from 28 to 9

Had to bluff and pretending that I had nothing so he won't heal himself, and it works!

Still need to collect more of legendaries!

Levi

Banned
Really? I would have figured that Tempo Warrior doesn't have as much of an attachment to their hero power as Control Warrior would.

In a close game against an aggressive deck, armor can give you a couple extra turns to close out the game. Over 74 Tempo Warrior games this season, I've had two losses which I think would have been wins if I had gotten a different weapon from the game's "best arena card". Once it was Cursed Blade, the other time was Charged Hammer in a very tight game.

It's a small sample size to be sure, but I've gotten Cursed Blade 4 or 5 times and lost due to it once, and I've gotten Charged Hammer once and lost because of it once so... Charged Hammer worse than Cursed Blade confirmed! Heh.

In a close game against an aggressive deck, armor can give you a couple extra turns to close out the game. Over 74 Tempo Warrior games this season, I've had two losses which I think would have been wins if I had gotten a different weapon from the game's "best arena card". Once it was Cursed Blade, the other time was Charged Hammer in a very tight game.

It's a small sample size to be sure, but I've gotten Cursed Blade 4 or 5 times and lost due to it once, and I've gotten Charged Hammer once and lost because of it once so... Charged Hammer worse than Cursed Blade confirmed! Heh.
I tried to run a Control Shaman deck at the start of WotOG, and it has not gone great. One thing I have noticed is that Charged Hammer isn't even always good. I thought a consistent 2 board damage would be waaay better than totems, but when you get all 4 totems up it can produce some pretty fantastic effects. There just aren't a lot of things that 2 damage helps with in the midgame. Sure, you can go face with it, but then you're just a Hunter.

Even when running Shadowform, I tend not to shift until I get both Shadowform cards in my hand - 2 damage to the board just seems to consistently miss the mark, while 3 damage to the board is very strong. That's practically Frostbolt on tap.

Levi

Banned
I tried to run a Control Shaman deck at the start of WotOG, and it has not gone great. One thing I have noticed is that Charged Hammer isn't even always good. I thought a consistent 2 board damage would be waaay better than totems, but when you get all 4 totems up it can produce some pretty fantastic effects.

The reason I hate playing against midrange Shaman is how quickly they can fill the board after a clear. Totems and totem synery are a big part of that.

Today I faced a Shaman bot at rank 11. Skipped turn two (didn't even Hero power), turn three they played feral spirits, coin, rockbiter on one of the inactive spirit wolves. I won the game when the bot took 11 face damage using Doomhammer to attack (but not kill) a couple of minions on my board, putting it into lethal range.

The fact that this bot was able to climb to rank 11... Astounding.

But you can control when you break Charged Hammer so long as they don't have a weapon break. Unless you have to overwrite it or absolutely need to remove a minion with its 4th swing, you won't lose your hero power. I would think that Charged Hammer wouldn't be that bad in most situations, it just fucked you over that one time.

wiibomb

Unfortunately, it's not very good.
You're missing Shadow Word: Death which is one of Priest's signature removal cards.

Instead, you have a Priest list that is looking to compete with minions, but most basic set minions are not strong enough to compete with non-basic minions.

If you're looking to improve the list, you should absolutely unlock SW:D, then look at getting or crafting Auchenai Soul Priest + Circle of Healing.

Other useful rares are Injured Blademaster (which works well with Circle of Healing), Wild Pyromancer (though a little less so now with 3-toughness creatures so rampant), and maybe Azure Drakes? The drakes are good in other classes as well; the blademasters...not so much.

If you don't have the adventures and are not planning on buying them, then maybe crafting Entomb (common) or Excavated Evil (rare) would be helpful. A copy of Thoughtsteal (common) might be nice but isn't necessary.

As for the basic deck, I'd look to dump the Raptors, Crocolisks, and Razorfin Hunter, and probably SSCs ASAP (few 2 drops for SSCs.)

Try to add SW: Death (basic), Holy Nova(basic), and Injured Blademaster + CoH or ASP + CoH. If you add ASP, then drop the Darkscale Healers.

thank you, In the video trump replaces some cards with others from the rest of the levels, including lv 10.

I got to level 10 and got all the cards from that basic deck, so yeah, in my deck I have SW:D which worked well for me.

I guess it should be a decent deck until I buy all the available adventure expansions. I just want to know to play good for other classes different from mage, which I love, but I can't rely always on it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Trying my best to get out of rank 20 limbo, I'm at 2*, the Mage is on 6hp and is going to die next turn unless..... he fucking full heals with Reno. Beyond frustrating.

Ladekabel

Holy shit, finally beat Skelesaurus Fucking Hex on heroic. At least they attack with their strongest minion first so he ram his 24 attack Gahrzilla into the divine shield of my Sunwalker and and his Scar with Humility did one damage to it. Allowed me to play my Kelthuzad and use the glitch of them not attacking.

I just hope Blizzard doesn't do shit like that in the next adventure.

Levi

Banned
But you can control when you break Charged Hammer so long as they don't have a weapon break. Unless you have to overwrite it or absolutely need to remove a minion with its 4th swing, you won't lose your hero power. I would think that Charged Hammer wouldn't be that bad in most situations, it just fucked you over that one time.

True, true.

Then again, if we're going to call Malkorok the best arena card based on what must be a very small, self-selected sample size, then I can call charged hammer the worst weapon to get from Malkorok in my very small sample size. :p

clav

Went 2-3 with priest in arena. Got aggro rouge next and immediately went 7-1.

Crazy.

Not at all.

Priest and Hunter are bottom tier.

Think we will see buffs in the next expansion.

My current ranks of the classes in arena:

Rogue = Mage > Paladin > Druid > Shaman > Warrior > Warlock > Hunter > Priest

wiibomb

Trying my best to get out of rank 20 limbo, I'm at 2*, the Mage is on 6hp and is going to die next turn unless..... he fucking full heals with Reno. Beyond frustrating.

oh I had a warlock who did a fucking combo with reno 3 times, he used 2 cards to send it back to its hand. I fucking hated it

and I won it because it kept cold headed all the match

fertygo

Play well against Control Warrior he only had 2 card from monkey, one of them is Dreadscale which I plan to kill with totem golem, my other card is Hex.. seem good eh, his saved card is frigging King Krash so he kill my totem golem and I can't deal with his dreadscale.. I lose.. bah
Not at all.

Priest and Hunter are bottom tier.

Think we will see buffs in the next expansion.

My current ranks of the classes in arena:

Rogue = Mage > Paladin > Druid > Shaman > Warrior > Warlock > Hunter > Priest

are you serious Druid might've 3rd worst

Shaman and Paladin is comfy behind Rogue and Mage

The reason I hate playing against midrange Shaman is how quickly they can fill the board after a clear. Totems and totem synery are a big part of that.

Today I faced a Shaman bot at rank 11. Skipped turn two (didn't even Hero power), turn three they played feral spirits, coin, rockbiter on one of the inactive spirit wolves. I won the game when the bot took 11 face damage using Doomhammer to attack (but not kill) a couple of minions on my board, putting it into lethal range.

The fact that this bot was able to climb to rank 11... Astounding.
How do you know if it's a bot? I wonder if I've ever fought one...

I agree about the board re-fill. Shaman is the only non-Zoo deck I've played where I can have a full board and a backup board in case it wipes, and it's because the cards have such high value. It's almost like an inverse Zoo deck.

Reno is extremely frustrating, especially for a Hunter. It's not a problem at all for Shaman because you do so much damage with each minion.

clav

are you serious Druid might've 3rd worst

Shaman and Paladin is comfy behind Rogue and Mage

The hero power helps a lot in Druid to keep the board under control especially with Savage Combatant.

Raven Idol can bail players out of tough situations as Druid has a lot of spells for removal.

For Warrior and Shaman, if you can't get a weapon for those two classes, you might as well retire. Sometimes I'm shocked I can get to 5-6 wins though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Reno is extremely frustrating, especially for a Hunter. It's not a problem at all for Shaman because you do so much damage with each minion.

He ended up on 16hp at the end, I tried to whittle him back down but just couldn't. Then I went on a downward spiral including running into a Priest with more legendaries than I can remember so I'm back to 0* and I'm too pissed off to bother playing again. I'll try later once I've eaten and calmed down, cooking up some egg fried rice and prawn crackers!

fertygo

The hero power helps a lot in Druid to keep the board under control especially with Savage Combatant.

Raven Idol can bail players out of tough situations.

Sure but everything else is lacking, class have worst spell in the game.. but c'thun minion help they to can draft their staple card better thank to bigger percentage because you can't draft c'thun minion, but I still say they bad at these day
For Warrior and Shaman, if you can't get a weapon for those two classes, you might as well retire. Sometimes I'm shocked I can get to 5-6 wins though
yeah, nah... you can easily draft 2-3 faceless as shaman at these day those alone gave you ez win

fertygo

0-0 Rogue is nightmare btw, keep remember don't queue your shit at midnight US time folk

you get coin in your mulligan = you ded

He ended up on 16hp at the end, I tried to whittle him back down but just couldn't. Then I went on a downward spiral including running into a Priest with more legendaries than I can remember so I'm back to 0* and I'm too pissed off to bother playing again. I'll try later once I've eaten and calmed down, cooking up some egg fried rice and prawn crackers!

Just remember, you haven't spent nearly as much time or money on their decks as they have - don't take it too hard!

I mean, last night I beat a deck that felt like it was half legendries.

Danj

I get that you are frustrated but you don't have any reason to start casting that in our direction. We don't have any obligation to help you so you should try to be thankful that you're getting the advice that you are.

My honest recommendation is that you watch streamers and examine your own play. Figure out what is and isn't working and adjust and experiment accordingly. Many of us haven't had the benefit of being coached by others and we have broken through the Rank 15 wall just fine.

I know this isn't the first time you've asked or received help in this thread. If you don't start looking at your own play first then you aren't going to improve.

I apologise, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was criticising or anything.

And I acknowledge there are a lot of people on here who have taken the time to help me out, either by offering advice or deck lists or spectating me and offering tips. I'm thankful for that.

With regard to the streamers, are there any you recommend? There are a lot of them out there and I am not necessarily going to know which ones are good to watch for this particular problem.

Heropon

Today arena was successful with my 2x Flamestrike, 3x Faceless Summoner Mage at 9 wins but my goodness some of my opponents were crazy. Super Shaman with Totem Golem, Framewreathed Faceless, Fire Elemental and Hallazeal; Pyroblast SMOrc mage and "I only have giant minions when you have Flamestrike in hand/minion flood when you waste it" Paladin as the last one.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just remember, you haven't spent nearly as much time or money on their decks as they have - don't take it too hard!

I mean, last night I beat a deck that felt like it was half legendries.

Yeah I know, I try to stay calm and just let it roll over me but honestly I'm a rager and super competitive so I don't tend to take losing very well, even if I'm not expected to win. It's something I'm always working on though.

EmiPrime

I apologise, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was criticising or anything.

And I acknowledge there are a lot of people on here who have taken the time to help me out, either by offering advice or deck lists or spectating me and offering tips. I'm thankful for that.

With regard to the streamers, are there any you recommend? There are a lot of them out there and I am not necessarily going to know which ones are good to watch for this particular problem.

Brian Kibler is a good mix of entertaining and insightful.

Levi

Banned
How do you know if it's a bot? I wonder if I've ever fought one...

The "tells" are the lack of mousing over cards, and how the timing of how the cards are played (hard to explain, but each card is played very deliberately and the interval between each card being played is always the same).

I only noticed because it's unlikely a human player at rank 11 would skip turn two instead of hero powering and then use Rockbiter on a minion that can't attack the follow up turn, as well as wasting Doomhammer charges on minions to guarantee I have lethal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston...ing_for_a_control_shaman_deck_played_against/

There's an interesting discussion on Control Shaman on Reddit today, along with a VOD where that deck was used against Kolento. Thought you might be interested.

Top Bottom