• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Owzers

How do i keep not getting a single flamereathe when i make the mistake of choosing shaman in arena? I'll be lucky if i get three wins with this draft :/

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Who are good streamers to watch? I prefer more laid back people, not loud idiots or "bros". Looking to chill and pick up some tips.

jgminto

Who are good streamers to watch? I prefer more laid back people, not loud idiots or "bros". Looking to chill and pick up some tips.
Kibler is probably the best mix of entertainment, education and positive attitude so definitely watch him. Trump's streams are pretty low energy (they've literally put me to sleep) but they're good for listening in the background and you will likely learn some useful stuff.

Apathy

Just had the best fight vs a OTK warrior (the ones with the raging worgen).

turn 8 I play lightlord, he executes it
turn 9 I play soggoth, he can't do anything to it
turn 10 I play tirion, he executes it
turn 11 I play Sylvanas, he cant do anything to it cause he has no board, still hasn't dealt with soggoth
turn 12 I play azure drake and a consecrate, get him to 2 with the other stuff on board.

He says "that was a mistake" and I'm wondering why he said that, he drops the worgen and starts doing the setup gets it to 16 and then I think he realized that he needs to smash it into soggoth first. he does so , the thing dies obviously, and he instantly quits

Levi

Banned
EzUPUZk.png

Been working on this Wild Deathrattle Warrior. Took me from 20 to 14 with only two losses (and one of those was to a Druid who bursted me down from close to 30 health with Bran, Innervate, Innervate, C'thun, and this was like turn 12 or 13 so it's not like he drew his whole deck either to find that combo.)

What would you guys cut/add?

Well then, 4-0 with N'Zoth Dragon Priest to finish the quest. Deathwing, Dragonlord dust well spent.

Actually seems like a super good deck right now. I won against Ramp Druid, Tempo Warrior, Tempo Mage and Zoolock.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Kibler is probably the best mix of entertainment, education and positive attitude so definitely watch him. Trump's streams are pretty low energy (they've literally put me to sleep) but they're good for listening in the background and you will likely learn some useful stuff.

Thanks, followed him but he's not on yet.

Oh and BTW I uploaded my ranked game for earlier if anyone wants to take a look and make sure I'm not making any massive mistakes, I've only been playing a week so there will be plenty of mistakes but hopefully nothing too major. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3BUJwG52lA

I usually watch sjow and frodan. Sjow I like b/c he's funny to me and pretty laid back. Frodan is great since he plays random decks and is actually pretty knowledgeable and does well. He also has a good amt of stories about reynad and such

clav

Oh and BTW I uploaded my ranked game for earlier if anyone wants to take a look and make sure I'm not making any massive mistakes, I've only been playing a week so there will be plenty of mistakes but hopefully nothing too major.

Look at arena players, too. Playing only constructed won't force you to learn about other cards.

Why did you leave the emperor up for 2 turns? Warrior ran out of cards, but if you do that in a scenario when someone holds a bunch of cards, you're done.

Also when you finally decided to kill it, you made some weird trades. You traded in a rhino and a wolf when you could have traded a wolf only.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Look at arena players, too. Playing only constructed won't force you to learn about other cards.

Why did you leave the emperor up for 2 turns? Warrior ran out of cards, but if you do that in a scenario when someone holds a bunch of cards, you're done.

Also when you finally decided to kill it, you made some weird trades. You traded in a rhino and a wolf when you could have traded a wolf only.

Honestly with less than 1 week experience I just don't always know what the best trade is, or if I should trade. Usually I do try to clear the board but sometimes I get face happy.

As for the trade, I should have hit him with the Wolf then killed it next turn with the 2 minions or am I missing something? I definitely was unsure at the time.

Apathy

Gotta say, weirdest deck I'm facing right now, a discard warlock. It's not going well for him, but it's still really interesting to see

Honestly with less than 1 week experience I just don't always know what the best trade is, or if I should trade. Usually I do try to clear the board but sometimes I get face happy.

As for the trade, I should have hit him with the Wolf then killed it next turn with the 2 minions or am I missing something? I definitely was unsure at the time.

When and how to trade is just something you learn over time. From what I saw a lot of your trades were just really inefficient. You also used way too many of your burn spells early when you could have just traded your minion in and then developed the board with something else.

For example, at 2:15 you should have just traded in your bear and dropped the tiger. You're left with a 5/5 on the board and you get to keep your Kill Command. In that scenario, trading a 4/2 into a 5/4 is really good for you, especially when you can immediately develop a 5/5 on the board as well.

fertygo

Oh and BTW I uploaded my ranked game for earlier if anyone wants to take a look and make sure I'm not making any massive mistakes, I've only been playing a week so there will be plenty of mistakes but hopefully nothing too major. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3BUJwG52lA

On turn 4 I think its far better to drop Wolf instead burn 2 spell, oh yeah coin Tiger maybe also good like BWG said.. I may satisfied enough with wolf and save coin in case drawing Highmane or Call tho

- You don't realize you can kill Bog Creeper with just Wolf and its remain because you had Tundra and Leok buff

- You made similar mistake couple turn later, use that wolf remain with tundra charge man!

Apathy

It's so not confirmation bias. This game is programmed to piss you off. When you need one card to win a game and it's at the bottom of your deck, and its like 90%+ going to be in your opening hand or mulligan of your next game just to piss you off

It's so not confirmation bias. This game is programmed to piss you off. When you need one card to win a game and it's at the bottom of your deck, and its like 90%+ going to be in your opening hand or mulligan of your next game just to piss you off

in my mind I wish whenever you mulligan a card, the duplicate can't also be drawn

Past few mulligans I've done in these last few days have always been the same cards.

I'm confused.

well whenever you mulligan a card, you can't redraw it (so if you go first and mulligan 3 cards you draw the new 3 out of 27), but that doesnt mean you can't draw the 2nd copy, which happens to me like 70% of the time

Apathy

There, I needed equality again, I run 2, I run multiple card draws, and 2 games in a row it would not show up, it shows up in the starting hand, fuck this

clav

well whenever you mulligan a card, you can't redraw it (so if you go first and mulligan 3 cards you draw the new 3 out of 27), but that doesnt mean you can't draw the 2nd copy, which happens to me like 70% of the time

Same here, which is why I said I draw my second copies, and I'm confused.

squidyj

Each of these comments look at the state of the game from when the play is made
turn 4 your play was deadly shot coin quick shot and attack face with misha
my play would have been to kill the 2/4 with misha and play infested wolf

you generally don't want to be blowing through your cards, especially cards like deadly shot that can very cleanly deal with major threats. How does he punish a 4/2 misha? even if he clears misha from hand you have a 3/3 against his 2/3 and your deathrattles compare. Imagine if you still had the deadly shot when he dropped his 6/8 taunt.

turn 7 you left emperor up and I would not have done that. Going face isn't always wrong, he's not reducing a lot of cards but looking at your hand you're not setting up a lethal by going face. if you had kill commands in hand and the belief that you could burn him out it'd be more reasonable to take the risk.

turn 9 you played juggler and a bunch of dudes.
I would have played juggler, traded an infested wolf into his 5/3 and then figured out the rest of my turn.
for some reason he chose to preemptively inner rage his dude which made it vulnerable to your infested wolf. the deathrattle effect from your wolf would proc juggler twice and by killing the 5/3 first you avoid the potential of wasted knives going into that body that you can easily kill. it ups the chance that knives go into emperor

turn 9 you traded your rhino in and realized you couldn't trade in a 1/1 because your beasts lost charge.
My play would have been to send in the carrion grub instead and a 1/1 token, the rhino has the same stats and the charge effect.

turn 10 you played the fiery bat.
I would have held it, without playing it you set him to 5 with 8 power on board and hero power for 2. It dies to all the same things your 1/1s die to, imagine he had a ghoul to go with that reno.

Turn ??? you houndmastered your 2/1
this one might be debatable but I would have houndmastered the 1/1 to give a better breadth of powers and distribute power somewhat more evenly as well as putting power on the undamaged minion, he wouldn't have a second execute in this deck but in other situations it could be relevant. Against rogues I would likely reverse this to play around backstabs and shadow strikes.

turns ??? you used your eaglehorn bow to swing for face, twice. The second swing in particular would have been better held for removal because at that time you represented 13 power on board. The first swing could be seen as pushing for lethal and playing around a 2 card harrison draw but the second one seems pretty unnecessary and squanders the ability to save a minion.

I'll consider the Kodo play to be BM since you had lethal either way.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'll consider the Kodo play to be BM since you had lethal either way.

Haha, well I'm honestly too bad to be even thinking about BM, it doesn't cross my mind. And thanks for the tips everyone, apparently I make way more mistakes than I thought! I actually just lost a couple of games so I'm at 0* for tomorrow which is never good.

Firebrand

Just got into this game, enjoying it quite a bit. Thinking of picking up League of Explorers, but more for the fun of it rather than buying a deck of cards. How long does it take to finish all 4 wings on normal + class challenges?

Just got into this game, enjoying it quite a bit. Thinking of picking up League of Explorers, but more for the fun of it rather than buying a deck of cards. How long does it take to finish all 4 wings on normal + class challenges?

Depends. If you have all the cards and are experienced with adventures you can romp through in a very short time. Maybe an hour?

Without that you should get a good chunk of play time.
The ai is awful but there is fun to be had. Worth a go.

scarlet

Losing to a Dennis is embarrassing. I guess I'm more Dennis than Dennis

Didn't use my Reno, cuz he was half of my hp and I was gonna win in the next turn. Apparently he used 2 kobolds,2 frostbolts and an ice lance

Firebrand

Depends. If you have all the cards and are experienced with adventures you can romp through in a very short time. Maybe an hour?

Without that you should get a good chunk of play time.
The ai is awful but there is fun to be had. Worth a go.
An hour for everything but heroic? o_O That seems like pretty poor value, hmm. Might buy the first wing separately then. Thanks.

Apathy

An hour for everything but heroic? o_O That seems like pretty poor value, hmm. Might buy the first wing separately then. Thanks.

The value isn't really from the length of the adventures, they are always short, the value comes from the cards you get from the adventures.

jgminto

You can usually watch full stream archive on twitch if they don't stream at a good time. I'll usually put an archive on in the background when I'm playing. I think the main mistake I saw was that you could have killed the Bog Creeper with the Wolf while Leokk was alive. The wolf had 4 attack and if you killed it the spiders would equal 4 as well. If you played Kodo you could have then charged the spiders into the creeper. It's not an obvious play but it would have made for cleaner trades. I also would have killed Thaurissan at the first opportunity but he was low on cards at the time so it wasn't a horrible choice.

fertygo

You can usually watch full stream archive on twitch if they don't stream at a good time. I'll usually put an archive on in the background when I'm playing. I think the main mistake I saw was that you could have killed the Bog Creeper with the Wolf while Leokk was alive. The wolf had 4 attack and if you killed it the spiders would equal 4 as well. If you played Kodo you could have then charged the spiders into the creeper. It's not an obvious play but it would have made for cleaner trades. I also would have killed Thaurissan at the first opportunity but he was low on cards at the time so it wasn't a horrible choice.

No Kodo, Tundra Rino man :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had a pretty funny game against a control warrior running monkey. One of the legendaries he got was yogg and...

QcYcZLR.png

At one point he cast equality, arcane explosion which wiped my board(which had sylvannas) so I stole it and the rest were casted on my side, namely call of the wild. Helps that his used astral which wiped whatever legendaries he had left.

I actually got scared for a second since his yogg ganged up my 1/1 dudes which would block his fatigue, so once I took control of yogg thought it might start drawing me super far into that but luckily it ended before that happened.

Also...holding N'zoth all game as a response to the monkey is ridiculously powerful.

bjaelke

I tried it because I have two from packs, and I tell you, 100% of the time it gets countered even when I play it on a curve. Earth Shock or a nuke every goddamn time.

I'd consider it a good Doomsayer if it absorbs 7 damage worth of burst. That's basically a heal which gets you closer to mid-late game.

Tarazet

I've been playing some Miracle Rogue with Mountain Giants. Works surprisingly well.. my opponents are expecting many things on turn 6 when I play slow and telegraph that I'm holding onto cards, but two 8/8's is not one of them.

inky

Look at this guy's fucking deck in Arena. At 1 win!

disgustingr8axw.png

Oh right, I gave him Forgotten torch with Spellslinger (it always fucking backfires). We went to fatigue and I beat them there. Almost didn't but fuck me it was close.

Edit: to be fair, it's not that great. It has many quality cards, but he drew answer after answer and comboed those weapons a lot. We both kind ran out of steam due to no draw.

I don't think druid sucks. I think savager roar is still a fine finisher. I think losing ancient of lore being 2 card draw was a bigger hit than FON, even if we hated FON +SR more than lore.

Top Bottom