• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Wild Pyro is solid, but right now the game is focused on sturdy minions. Most classes are dropping X/3s early on, which means you need a really specific hand to make the Wild Pyro work.

Excavated Evil caps out at 3 damage on turn 5, and I've died many times by turn 4 to Mages and Shaman.

Circle of Healing is fantastic with Auchenai, but that's a turn 4 play, and I'd say you only get the combo by the time you need it 1/3 the time.

The fact is that Priest just lacks opening options. There needs to be a good 1-drop or 2-drop. Deathlord was pushing it before, and there are plenty of matches where I tore through that guy because I already had the board to take him down pre-Standard and gained an overwhelming advantage through him pulling a Savannah Highmane or Piloted Shredder.

Priest has the best late game, but Blizzard can't balance that with zero early game options. The only thing out there is dragons, which is why I'm going for that.

Classes with better board clears than Priest:
Paladin
Mage
Shaman
Warlock
Warrior

How are you dying to mages and shaman by turn 4? And why would you play dragon priest over n'zoth priest?

Rosenskjold

Swear 3 games in a row where hunter has that OP turn 8 card in hand, and wins the game because of it. One of the games I had just cleared his board, he has 1 card in hand and he topdecks OP turn 8.... >>

embalm

Malkorok is the most stressful card I've ever played.

Malkorok turn 7 vs Miracle Rogue. I need 2 damage to win. Malkorok hands me Lights Justice.

Malkorock gets Sapped, opponent heals for 3.

Malkorok turn 8. I need 4 damage to win. Malkorok gives me Cursed Blade.

ViviOggi

2 Shamans in arena 4 Facelesses
smile.gif

Any non-hyperaggro constructed list playing Doomsayer because nothing else deals with Shaman's curve
smile.gif

Master of Disguise limits design space
smile.gif

I tried Doomsayer in my Control Priest deck, and there was a 100% chance it got countered by Earth Shock or some kind of burst spell. It's amazing how removing GvG has made the game faster than ever. So much that people are starting to run board wipes on turn 2 as the standard just so you can have a fighting chance.

How are you dying to mages and shaman by turn 4? And why would you play dragon priest over n'zoth priest?
Shaman:
Turn 1: Coin double Troggs.
Turn 2: Totem Golem, Troggs hit face for 4.
Turn 3: Totem Golem, Troggs + Golem hit face for 9 (15 damage total so far).
Turn 4: Spirit Wolves, all face for 16.

Game over, and if you didn't draw a Shadow Word: Pain, Priest is pretty much helpless to this. It has only happened to me twice, but it's enough to recognize that this is a problem. Even if I survived to turn 5 and wiped the board with Excavated Evil, or I pull out Auchenai + CoH on turn 4 to prevent my death, I only have a little health left, and a Lava Burst or Doomhammer will finish the job. Shadow Word: Fear is garbage.

Tempo Mage is the same idea except it's coin Double Mana Wyrm on turn 1 followed by removal spells to buff the Wyrms and clear the board so they can go face. There isn't a damn thing a Priest can do about it (or a Hunter, even). I've only had this happen once, though.

ViviOggi

Shaman:

Game over, and if you didn't draw a Shadow Word: Pain, Priest is pretty much helpless to this. It has only happened to me twice, but it's enough to recognize that this is a problem. Even if I survived to turn 5 and wiped the board with Excavated Evil, or I pull out Auchenai + CoH on turn 4 to prevent my death, I only have a little health left, and a Lava Burst or Doomhammer will finish the job. Shadow Word: Fear is garbage.

Tempo Mage is the same idea except it's coin Double Mana Wyrm on turn 1 followed by removal spells to buff the Wyrms and clear the board so they can go face. There isn't a damn thing a Priest can do about it (or a Hunter, even). I've only had this happen once, though.
1-drops winning games, fun and interactive
smile.gif

At least that has never happened before so I don't blame Blizzard for making that mistake once

1-drops winning games, fun and interactive
smile.gif

At least that has never happened before so I don't blame Blizzard for making that mistake once
LOL.

Those class 1 drops are stupid good. In what world is it okay for someone to have a board of 3/3, 2/3, 2/3 on turn 2?

Blizzard just has the entire design document backwards. Early stuff should be relatively weak, and late stuff should be relatively strong. This creates the ramp-up of intensity and risk. Instead we just get bowled over on turn 1 and it's a single player experience. I was telling Dahbomb this last night, but Infinity Wars has some hilarious OP cards for the late late game that basically guarantee Control decks get their win if they control. Like a 14-mana card that puts every creature your opponent owns onto the board under your control. REST IN PEACE!

Where's the paladin 1 drop that makes aggro a thing again?

1/1 Inspire get divine shield would have been awesome.

Selfless Hero is better. 2/1 and can trade the next turn and give your next minion Divine Shield. If they ping it before you get a second minion out, you're still ahead on tempo. A 1/1 Inspire Divine Shield minion is pretty much a worse Argent Squire.

I tried Doomsayer in my Control Priest deck, and there was a 100% chance it got countered by Earth Shock or some kind of burst spell. It's amazing how removing GvG has made the game faster than ever. So much that people are starting to run board wipes on turn 2 as the standard just so you can have a fighting chance.

Shaman:

And what class doesn't die to a perfect opener like that with no answers? The shaman has played 4 cards by turn 3 and you've done nothing to slow that down?

That isn't even the best opener they can get, because why spirit wolves when you can lava burst.

And priest actually can answer that opener with embrace + circle.

embalm

Shaman:

The games are really not faster. The game is slower and board presence is much more important. Favorable trades and letting your board snowball to win the game are very important. There are also far fewer sticky minions. That's why there are more board clears.

The Shaman god draw is no different than other god draws we saw before. We had Mechwarper Mage, Savage Roar token Druids, Tempo mage, Murloc anything, and Face hunter in the past and all of them could easily kill you by turn 4 with the perfect draw.

If you need proof for how much slower the game it's in the proof that so many good decks are running board clears. Using a board clear is a 2 turn play, you clean it and you plan to take it back and stabalize on the next turn. Setting up a 2 turn tactic like this was impossible for everything except the most control driven decks in the game before Standard. Now we see board clears in mid-range and tempo decks.

If you are seeing those kinds of god draw aggro setups and want to continue playing pries, you should include Doomsayer. It offers you a chance to slow down your opponent on turn 2. Even if he silences it, it would stop the Totem Golem and extend his lethal by 2 turns. If it works it not only completely negates your original situation it gives you initiative going into turn 3 against a shaman, which would probably win you the game.

Those god draw situations are frustrating, but you have to look at all of your games and try not to focus on specific situations where you get completely trashed. See my Malkorok example above where he completely fucked me, but he remains in my deck, because even with the occasionally bad outcome he is a great tempo play.

played against a mage who played the random spell 3/4 and it gave me flare, lol. Bye bye ice block.

Selfless Hero is better. 2/1 and can trade the next turn and give your next minion Divine Shield. If they ping it before you get a second minion out, you're still ahead on tempo. A 1/1 Inspire Divine Shield minion is pretty much a worse Argent Squire.

badly formulated it should have been

Divine Shield

Inspire gain Divine Shield

Manus

Playing against a Mana Wyrm mage spell build is the most stupid and unfun thing ever. It makes me never want to play since almost every match I get into is against one.

bjaelke

28 min game against Control Warrior. Zzz. It was obvious that he was going to lose 10 turns before he did - he just wouldn't give in.

G.ZZZ

Damn rank 5 and 4 seems to be all warrior, farming them with control hunter EZ

EDIT: damn spoke too soon this was a face warrior and i lost cause i mulled for 6s lol.

embalm

Damn rank 5 and 4 seems to be all warrior, farming them with control hunter EZ

EDIT: damn spoke too soon this was a face warrior and i lost cause i mulled for 6s lol.
What kind of warriors are you seeing? Tempo, Control, C'thun?

What's the strategy as a hunter to beat them?

Finally won brawl after like 3 bad players and 1 extremely bad player. Managed to get stalag to survive a round and then priest dropped millhouse with me having a max hand with 2 blessed champions and yeah... 76 attack stalagg who actually managed to survive a second round to hit mech again even though he only had 3 hp left.

Those god draw situations are frustrating, but you have to look at all of your games and try not to focus on specific situations where you get completely trashed. See my Malkorok example above where he completely fucked me, but he remains in my deck, because even with the occasionally bad outcome he is a great tempo play.

Pretty much. I forgot to include this. You can't really sweat the extremely lucky openers. Especially when you're also getting bad luck and having zero answers. If you never have answers, it's your deck or just a bad match up though.

N'zoth runs doomsayer as well. It actually looks like a deck I might check out.

Pretty much. I forgot to include this. You can't really sweat the extremely lucky openers. Especially when you're also getting bad luck and having zero answers. If you never have answers, it's your deck or just a bad match up though.

Deck Tracker is useful for the above. You can easily see what's left in your deck and know what you have as options. If you constantly find yourself going "I have no option for this," you may need to tweak the deck.

Luck is still the biggest part of Hearthstone.

Ladekabel

Today is a day on which I wonder why I even play this game. Sure I'm playing Hunter so I should know what expects me, but getting steamrolled by Shamen and C'Thun Druids where I know I lost on turn 1 isn't very exciting.

At least I beat a Freeze Mage today.

And what class doesn't die to a perfect opener like that with no answers? The shaman has played 4 cards by turn 3 and you've done nothing to slow that down?

That isn't even the best opener they can get, because why spirit wolves when you can lava burst.

And priest actually can answer that opener with embrace + circle.
What answers does Priest have before turn 4 aside from Embrace combo and SWP?

There are only two classes that can do this, and it is because the growing 1-drops are too strong. Why should a perfect opener be autodeath? Lol

The games are really not faster. The game is slower and board presence is much more important. Favorable trades and letting your board snowball to win the game are very important. There are also far fewer sticky minions. That's why there are more board clears.

The Shaman god draw is no different than other god draws we saw before. We had Mechwarper Mage, Savage Roar token Druids, Tempo mage, Murloc anything, and Face hunter in the past and all of them could easily kill you by turn 4 with the perfect draw.

If you need proof for how much slower the game it's in the proof that so many good decks are running board clears. Using a board clear is a 2 turn play, you clean it and you plan to take it back and stabalize on the next turn. Setting up a 2 turn tactic like this was impossible for everything except the most control driven decks in the game before Standard. Now we see board clears in mid-range and tempo decks.

If you are seeing those kinds of god draw aggro setups and want to continue playing pries, you should include Doomsayer. It offers you a chance to slow down your opponent on turn 2. Even if he silences it, it would stop the Totem Golem and extend his lethal by 2 turns. If it works it not only completely negates your original situation it gives you initiative going into turn 3 against a shaman, which would probably win you the game.

I think it depends on the class. Right now, the game is too fast for Priests.

Today is a day on which I wonder why I even play this game. Sure I'm playing Hunter so I should know what expects me, but getting steamrolled by Shamen and C'Thun Druids where I know I lost on turn 1 isn't very exciting.

At least I beat a Freeze Mage today.
Hunter beats Freeze Mage consistently if you get a good curve.

bjaelke

There are only two classes that can do this, and it is because the growing 1-drops are too strong. Why should a perfect opener be autodeath? Lol
You might consider running a Doomsayer or two in your control decks.

It's not auto-death.

Plus, if you really want a turn 4 kill from a god opener, you can just play murlocs. Any class can do it.

And you've said you've seen that kind of opener twice? I don't think I've ever lost a game on turn 4 this set so far. If I have, I just forgot about it and moved on. Sometimes you lose to extremes in this game. A loss is a loss, sometimes you have more say in the matter, sometimes less.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Trying to play mage and it definitely feels like game over if I can't draw mana wyrm.

It's not even like face hunter back in the day. It's just without a lot of the taunt/death rattle it's impossible to keep up with the tempo if you aren't ahead on turn 1.

Owzers

And that was the last time your opponent played Servant of Yogg-Saron

I'm sure the next time Yogg Saron is played the effect will be great, do it!

The last time i picked him he ended the game for me basically, hit me with an explosive blast hunter spell killing both my taunt and other minion.

I didn't think most shamans play Earth Shock though, if you get doomsayer down on turn 2 and he already coined out something and can't coin a Hex, doomsayer usually sticks for me.

embalm

I'm sorry, but you're straight up wrong. Priest has everything they need to compete in this meta. Maybe your deck can't compete in this meta, but Priest as a class is fine. They are currently very slow and control focused, but it wins games.

I tried it because I have two from packs, and I tell you, 100% of the time it gets countered even when I play it on a curve. Earth Shock or a nuke every goddamn time.
Also this isn't helpful for anyone. Post your deck. Tell us how many games you played. What did you mulligan for? Have you tried recording your games and re-watching them? Post those recordings here and let us give you some advice.

So much of what you are describing is a sign of slight mistakes during play. Plays you aren't seeing and you blame the RNG or the perfect top deck. I think you're fairly new, but you are hitting a ceiling and can't figure out what is holding you back. So let's figure that out and improve your Hearthstone experience.

I'm sure the next time Yogg Saron is played the effect will be great, do it!

The last time i picked him he ended the game for me basically, hit me with an explosive blast hunter spell killing both my taunt and other minion.

I was playing an Arena game the other day and I had the board with a 1/1 Twilight Summoner (that dude that summons a 5/5 on deathrattle) and a River Crocolisk. My opponent, who had nothing on board, played Servant of Yogg Saron that cast Silence, the 0 mana Priest spell, on my Twilight Summoner effectively removing my 4 mana minion. As unreliable as the card is, it does have swing potential.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

Hunter beats Freeze Mage consistently if you get a good curve.

I tried it because I have two from packs, and I tell you, 100% of the time it gets countered even when I play it on a curve. Earth Shock or a nuke every goddamn time.

Well you're really setting yourself up to win your argument when you ask "What answers are there?", get three examples, and then just hand wave them away because you want to sit here and continue being frustrated. You've made up your mind, why simulate discussion?

I got blown out by a mana wyrm -> coin 2x cult sorc -> sorc app + 2x arcane missiles opener, but I recognize that god-openers DO win games for aggressive decks when you don't draw well so I'm not here whining about it.

First arena draft this set (and maybe since before LOE too)

6aogqxz.png

Why do they need an amazing answer to everything early game if their late game is strong?

Not to mention, embrace + circle is an amazing answer. It might not be ideal to blow such a board clear that early but still seems like a game winning move if you're hitting 3-4 cards and stopping all their momentum.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
God that felt good, just beat some turtling little Warrior shit with his 50 taunts and Reno. I also made my first Call of the Wild today which I'm really happy with! Rank 19 1* ATM.

embalm

God that felt good, just beat some turtling little Warrior shit with his 50 taunts and Reno. I also made my first Call of the Wild today which I'm really happy with! Rank 19 1* ATM.

I played against a similar deck yesterday. It was running every defensive card under the sun I feel like. It even had the 1/8:Inspire healing card. I have to say that it was pretty surprised when that came out and I was expecting a normal Tempo Warrior match.

Anyone know what that deck is?

Owzers

Call of the Wild might be my new best friend card much like Mysterious Challenger. Brawl my minions away? Now i have three that do everything. Rank 5 match against cthun warrior, they brawled and my rhino lived, next turn call of the wild :)

Top Bottom