• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I hate playing against mages with cabalist tomb. Especially when they get another cabalist tomb from it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I hate that the ladder is more time-based than skill-based. I will never be legend because of the needed time investment. The longer I play the game in one sitting the more likely it is for me to go on tilt. So I can hit Rank 5 at best each month.
Oh. When the person above replied I thought you were talking about time you play the game. I can only ladder during work hours and after 10pm. The general skill level is lower then. Playing during the weekend is an exercise in frustration.
Any good paladin decks. Nzoth paladin is too slow
I dare you to make Anyfin Paladin a thing again.
It's too slow for me too. Anyfin was a turn 10 deck. This one is a fatigue deck.

clav

I hate playing against mages with cabalist tomb. Especially when they get another cabalist tomb from it.

I hate tempo mages because the Flamewaker just kills everything.

I laugh when they lose though because they don't know why.

"It's supposed to be the deck that beats everything! Wahhh."

Lumine

I've always wondered if resetting the ladder monthly isn't detrimental to the game. If it were yearly or seasonal more people would be playing around their 'skill level' and would be less in a hurry to grind through the ranks. Unfortunately you'd remove the monthly rewards too then. :(

Any good paladin decks. Nzoth paladin is too slow

Not sure. I saw some people talk about a new aggro variant a page ago. For mid-range however it seems that Paladin lacks decent early game cards. No shielded mini-bots, muster for battle, coghammer, creepers, eggs and even knife juggler nerfed. The other options just don't seem to cut it.

Levi

Banned
I hate that the ladder is more time-based than skill-based. I will never be legend because of the needed time investment. The longer I play the game in one sitting the more likely it is for me to go on tilt. So I can hit Rank 5 at best each month.

Yeah, this is the number one issue. If they want to keep the current ladder, seasons should be longer. I've played 120 games or so and I would need to play, what, 300 more to hit Legend with my win rate? That's not doable for me.

Also, HOLY CRAP, I finally pulled my first Golden Legendary from Old Golds.

6t1mhdl.png

It's on my EU account though, so it's probably gonna end up being melted into a Ragnaros or Hellscream. :(

I've pulled Golden Antonidas, Hemet, Toshley, and Fizzlebang on my US account, and crafted Cenarius, Malkorok, Grom, and Fandral golden. (my two favorite classes).

inky

I got to Rank 2 once and it was a miserable experience. I don't know how people do it every month.

I think Arena is more rewarding, even when Arena drafting tools have normalized the field and card quality and RNG are big factors. It's also way more tilting than ranked, but at least your experience resets more often.

Oh god I just need 2 paladin or priest wins for this quest and can't get a win on tavern brawl today god
Yup that's how I feel. I have a tavern brawl quest and the Paladin/priest dominance quest. Haven't won a single tavern brawl other than my first two wins when I didn't have either quest. And I won those two games without any issues!

Lyng

Yup. It's the number 1 thing wrong with HS

Yeah I feel you. This season I've been playing Zoolock and N'Zoth Paladins and I can win/lose 4 games of Zoolock in the time it takes to win one game of N'Zoth, so what is the point of playing N'Zoth even though I'm better at that deck

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Hearthstone ladder is the last major thing Rob Pardo worked on for Blizzard. Maybe that's why they would be hesitant to change it. It would be nice if the reset was softer but whatever I guess.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What they really need is a 3rd ladder, which is a Single Elim/Swiss Conquest between 8 players that assigns stars proportional to performance. The rewards would be the same as with Standard Ladder or Wild Ladder but the rate of growth would be different so that you climb faster in exchange for more time (per session) and commitment and deck literacy.

Tagyhag

I realized that even with Standard and everything new, I'm just not having fun with the game anymore and it's still just frustrating.

I uninstalled it on my PC and phone and I'll just watch Kripp every now and then.

It's a liberating feeling.

Zoggy

Is Kripp trying to pull viewers from the tournament? It seems suspicious that he is on this early. Lol
I remember Kripps streaming during the Asia championships too and he and trump were the only ones to knock them off the top spot during their streams

Levi

Banned
The Hearthstone ladder is the last major thing Rob Pardo worked on for Blizzard. Maybe that's why they would be hesitant to change it. It would be nice if the reset was softer but whatever I guess.

Blizzard actually can't make changes to the ladder at the moment because of how Championship Points are awarded. It would be really unfair to players who earned or didn't earn points during the current system if they switched that system during the run-up.

The only time they could make major changes would be in that brief period between the World Championship and the announcement of the qualifications for the next one.

If Blizzcon comes and goes with no changes to ladder, we'll likely be stuck with it for at least another year.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Blizzard actually can't make changes to the ladder at the moment because of how Championship Points are awarded. It would be really unfair to players who earned or didn't earn points during the current system if they switched that system during the run-up.

They can preview their plans like they did for Standard.

Not that I think they would but it's not like they're helpless here.

inky

I just played a guy in Arena who Malorn'd me, then got another one from a Tomb Spider after I killed the first. Ridiculous.

Inversive

freeze mage roping for last 4 turns because they know they can't win :/ Armour too stronk. Scummy people gravitate to scummy decks i guess.

Levi

Banned
If you're playing Justicar you're one to talk.

Lol, Justicar too slow for this meta. Freeze mage is pure scum and even without Justicar they can't beat Warrior unless they run Antonidas (most dont) and get really lucky. Only so much damage in that deck and Warrior can build up armor beyond what they can deal.

Any freeze mage who don't concede instantly seeing a warrior is just wasting everyone's time. Not surprising that that freeze mage ropes every turn.

Pooya

Normal ladder is ok, anyone that can maintain positive winrate can get out of it quickly as shown for two years now, anyone can hit rank 5 with 50 percent win rate and winstreaks, to get higher winrate, it comes down to meta calls and small decisions that divide better and worse players, it's not exactly about time investment, go ahead and invest all the time in the world see how well that goes if you don't have a good winrate, track your stats, that shows how well you really are doing. It doesn't really take that long to go from 5 to legend if you have a positive winrate. If it takes you 20+ days and playing every day to get to rank 5, you don't have a good winrate. That's the reality of it, when you can get there consistently you can see that it's not insanely time consuming, it's highly overstated.

What's really bad is the legend ladder, to get points for championship, only your final rank matters which people actually try to compete for the last 2 days, rest of the month is irrelevant. They probably need to come with a new legend point system. It's not really fair and no one is happy about it.

Levi

Banned
Normal ladder is ok, anyone that can maintain positive winrate can get out of it quickly as shown for two years now, anyone can hit rank 5 with 50 percent win rate a

I have a 58% win rate, I'm rank 9. Quickly is bullshit. If I had the mental fortitude to play for multi-hour sessions daily without getting tilted, sure, I could hit 5. I might even hit legend. However the ladder is a miserable experience and the rewards aren't worth it, imo. Even if I hit rank 5 this week, next week I'm going to be rank 17 the week after anyway. The constant treadmill sucks.

I just remembered I had Eadric the Pure, would he be better then Geddon in N'zoth Paladin? I'm finding Geddon pretty useful with all the vomit-minions-on-the-board decks running around, and its essentially another board wipe but Eadric is a 5th humility/aldor

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Winrate is a pretty pointless metric, especially if you start tracking it at rank 18 or 15 or whatever. Getting to rank five is a pretty quick process with the winstreak bonuses. If "the ladder" is a miserable experience then you probably don't really like Hearthstone very much...

FeD.nL

Normal ladder is ok, anyone that can maintain positive winrate can get out of it quickly as shown for two years now, anyone can hit rank 5 with 50 percent win rate and winstreaks, to get higher winrate, it comes down to meta calls and small decisions that divide better and worse players, it's not exactly about time investment, go ahead and invest all the time in the world see how well that goes if you don't have a good winrate, track your stats, that shows how well you really are doing. It doesn't really take that long to go from 5 to legend if you have a positive winrate. If it takes you 20+ days and playing every day to get to rank 5, you don't have a good winrate. That's the reality of it, when you can get there consistently you can see that it's not insanely time consuming, it's highly overstated.

What's really bad is the legend ladder, to get points for championship, only your final rank matters which people actually try to compete for the last 2 days, rest of the month is irrelevant. They probably need to come with a new legend point system. It's not really fair and no one is happy about it.

Still a 70% winrate with a control deck and a 70% winrate with an Aggro deck means that it's much more efficient to rank up with an aggro deck. That's the problem with ladder, it heavily favours one archetype over all others at the very core of its design.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just remembered I had Eadric the Pure, would he be better then Geddon in N'zoth Paladin? I'm finding Geddon pretty useful with all the vomit-minions-on-the-board decks running around, and its essentially another board wipe but Eadric is a 5th humility/aldor

I use eadric in it and like it but I imagine both are fine, like you said it's either a quasi board clear vs. another humility effect.

Levi

Banned
Winrate is a pretty pointless metric, especially if you start tracking it at rank 18 or 15 or whatever. Getting to rank five is a pretty quick process with the winstreak bonuses. If "the ladder" is a miserable experience then you probably don't really like Hearthstone very much...

Don't tell me what I like or dislike. I can like the game and hate the ladder--it's imbecilic to claim otherwise. If rank five is so quick and easy why does such a tiny percentage of the player base get there? I'm happy at rank 9 so I'm gonna fuck around on my EU account and in wild until next season--actually having fun, not grinding in some shit mode against tryhards netdecking broken Shaman lists.

Zoggy

Don't tell me what I like or dislike. I can like the game and hate the ladder--it's imbecilic to claim otherwise. If rank five is so quick and easy why does such a tiny percentage of the player base get there? I'm happy at rank 9 so I'm gonna fuck around on my EU account and in wild until next season--actually having fun, not grinding in some shit mode against tryhards netdecking broken Shaman lists.
Relax lol

Top Bottom